----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Angry Darkmoore and its terrible drop rate

So for the passed for months I have been really grinding wizard. Like REALLY grinding wizard. So much so I've put well over 60 hours into Darkmoore in the passed 2 months. And the majority of that is just on my death trying to get the elusive robe. Its the only piece of gear I want now that I can go for dragoon hat and boots. But the drop rate is extremely awful, my death alone now has 64 runs as of this morning. Also to mention I've spent roughly 5k crowns, maybe more, on the chest to only get the lowest tier of armor. One piece of gear shouldn't be this hard. And I'm getting gear for other schools? Excuse me?!?!?!
      Kingsisle please, for love of god fix the drop rate and quit giving me other schools armor sets. I don't want them, nor do I need them. I'm to the point of quitting this game after 10 years of playing due to this. I don't want to have to farm to maybe get an exalted duel to then have to find a group that probably doesn't know what to do and then not get the robe as well. With how little work around there is to get a robe that is as good as the Malistaire robe we need some sort of incentive to keep doing this. Either some system to increase the percent chance of getting an item of the highest quality after each run or implement a "sorry you didn't get it after 10 runs here's the piece you want" system. I'm fortunate to have as much time to play this game and spend countless hours farming this, others may not have that.
      Do better.
      Hope everyone is doing amazing, and I hope to see you around the spiral!
      140D, 109S, 100B, 87F, 71L, 67M, and 41I.

luvs2sleepalot is offline Magus Wizard

Mood:
      Sleepy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Darkmoore and its terrible drop rate

Quote Originally Posted by Mooshai View Post
      So for the passed for months I have been really grinding wizard. Like REALLY grinding wizard. So much so I've put well over 60 hours into Darkmoore in the passed 2 months. And the majority of that is just on my death trying to get the elusive robe. Its the only piece of gear I want now that I can go for dragoon hat and boots. But the drop rate is extremely awful, my death alone now has 64 runs as of this morning. Also to mention I've spent roughly 5k crowns, maybe more, on the chest to only get the lowest tier of armor. One piece of gear shouldn't be this hard. And I'm getting gear for other schools? Excuse me?!?!?!
      Kingsisle please, for love of god fix the drop rate and quit giving me other schools armor sets. I don't want them, nor do I need them. I'm to the point of quitting this game after 10 years of playing due to this. I don't want to have to farm to maybe get an exalted duel to then have to find a group that probably doesn't know what to do and then not get the robe as well. With how little work around there is to get a robe that is as good as the Malistaire robe we need some sort of incentive to keep doing this. Either some system to increase the percent chance of getting an item of the highest quality after each run or implement a "sorry you didn't get it after 10 runs here's the piece you want" system. I'm fortunate to have as much time to play this game and spend countless hours farming this, others may not have that.
      Do better.

I think that has been the complaint since Darkmoor opened. I remember giving up and just automatically dumping crowns in the chest. Why does it not surprise me that this has not been adjusted.
      I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. ~ Milton Berle

Dylan Windwalker is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I managed to get everything but one item in both my ice and on my life (both missing their hats, both done within 3 days of farming each). The trick really falls on how you do the last battle is what really normalizes the drop rates in my opinion. Don't die and attack often, do something that really makes a drastic impact in the battle. I'll be doing Darkmoor soon on my Death at some point this season or the next since he's level 88 and I don't expect that it will take too long for him to get gear either (though I'll still dislike every moment of it).

Remember that the hat isn't much of a requirement which is why I stopped doing Darkmoor when I got all the gear other than that. Use the Sardonyx Craft Hat instead...

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

Spellbinder is online now Legendary Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I recommend this instead. It's drop rate is also better in my experience. http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki..._Brigade_Armor
      Omg
      I think I love you more than paper tick
      -Katz to fishy cracker

Allison DeathWielder is offline Archmage Wizard

• Allison DeathWielder's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  (I'm male irl) Allison | Roslyn | Emily | Bailey | Morgan | Calamity | Destiny
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Windwalker View Post
      The trick really falls on how you do the last battle is what really normalizes the drop rates in my opinion. Don't die and attack often, do something that really makes a drastic impact in the battle.
      Not dying is certainly good advice just because DM Malistaire has 2 separate drop tables for its forms, but otherwise I've seen nothing to suggest that what you do in the battle and how long you last has any impact on the drops you get. This reminds me of those old tin foil theories people would suggest such as, "if you overkill Sylster he drops the boots more often."

The reality is that it's all pure RNG and Darkmoor is definitely the worst. I spent 6 months farming almost daily and not one wizard got a full set. The most I got on any wizard was two pieces while some got none at all. I did switch wizards due to sheer boredom, but usually after multiple weeks farming on a particular wizard--time that should be more than sufficient to get every piece of gear for one character.

While DM is certainly still a terrible place to farm, I'm at least glad that we've had easier gear to obtain come out since. Most of my wizards ended up with the Rattle and/or Krok one-shot stuff, which at least in most cases is better than Mali, so I can't exactly be mad about that. The boot and hat upgrades that have come out consistently in the 3rd and now 4th arc have been a boon too. So there's options, even if I'd still like to see DM reworked for others.
      Last edited by Allison DeathWielder; 3-3-21 at 10:31:40 PM.

1 account, 7 Wizards. Over 10 years of adventure

Sig and pfp made with help from Ashley SandFlower

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Question Re: Darkmoore and its terrible drop rate

@Sparck, any chance that the atrocious Darkmoor droprates could be increased? It has been over six years since the four dungeons were released, and it is by no means healthy to expect children to grind 60+ hours for these pieces of gear! I shudder to think the sheer amount of farming nessacary for Players with multiple level 100 characters..

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back." -Cosmos
      . . . with Persistence, Victory is assured.

Shadow Slayer is offline Legendary Wizard

Mood:
      Brooding

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

It still does have a horrible drop rate but it used to be way harder back in the day when the shadow spells weren't nerfed and was so much harder to beat malistaire 2 times without dying but I'd recommend finding a efficient darkmoor fast farming group and maybe being able to spend some more crowns on it which is what I did after being there a lot.

~Missing the Old Wiz Community~

Dylan Windwalker is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker, Valerian JadeBlade, Scot WaterWielder, Seth DreamDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Allison DeathWielder View Post
      Not dying is certainly good advice just because DM Malistaire has 2 separate drop tables for its forms, but otherwise I've seen nothing to suggest that what you do in the battle and how long you last has any impact on the drops you get. This reminds me of those old tin foil theories people would suggest such as, "if you overkill Sylster he drops the boots more often."

The reality is that it's all pure RNG and Darkmoor is definitely the worst. I spent 6 months farming almost daily and not one wizard got a full set. The most I got on any wizard was two pieces while some got none at all. I did switch wizards due to sheer boredom, but usually after multiple weeks farming on a particular wizard--time that should be more than sufficient to get every piece of gear for one character.

While DM is certainly still a terrible place to farm, I'm at least glad that we've had easier gear to obtain come out since. Most of my wizards ended up with the Rattle and/or Krok one-shot stuff, which at least in most cases is better than Mali, so I can't exactly be mad about that. The boot and hat upgrades that have come out consistently in the 3rd and now 4th arc have been a boon too. So there's options, even if I'd still like to see DM reworked for others.
      I'm sure the way I battle has nothing to do with the quality of the rewards I get from battle. It's probably just a spurious correlation that I just happened to have experienced from my personal battles in Darkmoor and doesn't actually give way to better drop rate for the Mali-tier gear.

The one shots definitely help though, it removes the aspect of requiring the Mali Hat and Mali Robe (Krok and Rattlebones One shots respectively, the Meowiarty One Shot dropping the shoes though less people will try that battle as it is much more difficult). I think around the Final Boss of Polaris is where the potential drops in that fight are just as good as the Mali boots (just providing critical rather than block).

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

richardDkht is online now Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Allison DeathWielder View Post

This question falls every now and then on many forums, and both because KI never gave a clear idea of the mechanics, and because at some point there are some knowitall explaining it can't be otherwise, it ends in this conclusion: what you do matters not.

Well, I am one of those that don't believe until they try, so I'll tell you what I tried and how, a few years ago :

I chose a small boss (one in WC, think it wasn't even a gauntlet) and a fairly high level char (it was 15 or something at time) and equipped it so that it could one-shot kill the enemy.

Then I tested: killing first round, then killing within a set number of rounds, then casting various spells before killing.

I repeated the same setup several times and noted down everything (on wild papers lol!).

Here were the results (off my head, the paper are long gone) :

If I one-shot the enemy first round, i'd get low XP, gold and some loot every now and then.

If I one shot the enemy after several rounds (more than 5) doing nothing else, i'd get similar XP but more often only gold than gold and drops;

If I cast several spells (blades, shields, heals) before killing, i'd get MORE XP, and apparently the average lot was bigger;

And if I cast several spells, but the battle lasted longer than 10 rounds, the average seemed to be reduced compared to the previous situation.

Also some time ago I started farming jade oni for keys. I noticed that by doing more than 10k damage to it (it has 6k HP) I'd often get a third drop that would not happen when I barely kill (in a same given amount of rounds).

In my opinion, the loots are organized in 'common', 'rare', etc.., and you have an increasing %chance of triggering drops, both in amounts and levels, depending on these factors.
      Which means you can still drop a third line or the rarest stuff, but with lower chances.

I think this is also why, when I farm WW, I'm generally seing better loots when battles go smooth than when teams mess up and have a hard time beating it.

Now, i'd like somebody that want to say "nah it's not like that" to go do some testing on their own before that...
      " I can solve any issues in the world, except those originated by human stupidity"
      ".. that leaves out A LOT.."

Mooshai is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the feedback I wound up just giving up and started farming Rattlebones for his exalted and got his robe after 2 runs. Which is what I'll be doing for all my characters that didn't get the robe seeing as the hat and boots can be changed numerous times after 120. But thank you all again.
      See ya around the spiral!
      Hope everyone is doing amazing, and I hope to see you around the spiral!
      140D, 109S, 100B, 87F, 71L, 67M, and 41I.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast