•  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Milo Barker and the quest "A Wizard's Best Friend"

This bug was caused by having a baby wizard started from before the pet update. I started this conversation with Kingsisle Support:

Customer By CSS Email () (02/26/2021 08:15 AM)
      I have a baby wizard who just reached Level 7, and he got a pop-up from Milo Barker in the Pet Pavilion. So I went there, but Milo Barker doesn't have the yellow exclamation mark over his head. I tried to talk to him anyway, and see a GRAY exclamation mark for the quest A Wizard's Best Friend, which the wiki seems to regard as being retired. This quest does NOT appear in the wizard's spellbook at all, and he cannot do any of the steps shown in the wiki for that quest.

I don't really remember when I created this baby wizard, and it may very well have been before the pet update that introduced playing as our pets. He was Level 4 and already had the Funky Piggle pet equipped when I began questing with him this week. However, I don't know that this wizard can proceed in this situation. He does seem to have free run of the Pet Pavilion. Could you please tell me whether the quest I see is truly retired, and how I can get the new Pet Quest he should have?

A Wizard's Best Friend [Incident: ]

Response By Email (KingsIsle Support) (02/26/2021 09:42 AM)
      Hello,

You will receive prompts for side quests like this based on level but will be unable to engage with these quests until you have finished the relevant storyline quests first.

Have you completed all of Unicorn way?
      If not please do that, then see Mr. Lincoln, then do "To Ravenwood" see Merle, etc

Eventually you will get to a situation where Milos quest will be doable.

We apologize for any inconvenience some of the conventions of the games quest systems are not all in sync.
      We are working to correct this issue.

Kind Regards,

KingsIsle Support

Customer By CSS Email () (02/26/2021 04:24 PM)
      Hello, and thank you for replying to my question. Are you saying that I should get access to the quest Milo is displaying -"A Wizard's Best Friend" - or a different quest from Milo, such as Pet Sounds or Hoard of the Rings?

This wizard is completely finished with Unicorn Way, and is working in Triton Avenue.

A Wizard's Best Friend
      Response By Email (KingsIsle Support) (02/26/2021 08:23 PM)
      Hello,

Whatever quests pop up, you should definitely take! Each quest adds to the story.

Best regards,

KingsIsle Support

Now my wizard has completed all quests in Triton Avenue and turned in the quest Triton Report (retired version). He has leveled up to 9, still has received no new pet quests and Milo Barker still has the gray exclamation when the wizard interacts with him. I'm afraid that he's actually broken here and maybe I should just delete him and start over.
      Name:  Milo Barker quest.png
Views: 243
Size:  142.2 KB
      Does anyone have any better advice than "Just keep questing" - I don't have any Crowns on this account to buy Firecat Alley and Cyclops Lane because I spent them on Pirate101.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

AluraMist is offline Wiki Master

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Milo Barker and the quest "A Wizard's Best Friend"

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      This bug was caused by having a baby wizard started from before the pet update. I started this conversation with Kingsisle Support:

Customer By CSS Email () (02/26/2021 08:15 AM)
      I have a baby wizard who just reached Level 7, and he got a pop-up from Milo Barker in the Pet Pavilion. So I went there, but Milo Barker doesn't have the yellow exclamation mark over his head. I tried to talk to him anyway, and see a GRAY exclamation mark for the quest A Wizard's Best Friend, which the wiki seems to regard as being retired. This quest does NOT appear in the wizard's spellbook at all, and he cannot do any of the steps shown in the wiki for that quest.

I don't really remember when I created this baby wizard, and it may very well have been before the pet update that introduced playing as our pets. He was Level 4 and already had the Funky Piggle pet equipped when I began questing with him this week. However, I don't know that this wizard can proceed in this situation. He does seem to have free run of the Pet Pavilion. Could you please tell me whether the quest I see is truly retired, and how I can get the new Pet Quest he should have?

A Wizard's Best Friend [Incident: ]

Response By Email (KingsIsle Support) (02/26/2021 09:42 AM)
      Hello,

You will receive prompts for side quests like this based on level but will be unable to engage with these quests until you have finished the relevant storyline quests first.

Have you completed all of Unicorn way?
      If not please do that, then see Mr. Lincoln, then do "To Ravenwood" see Merle, etc

Eventually you will get to a situation where Milos quest will be doable.

We apologize for any inconvenience some of the conventions of the games quest systems are not all in sync.
      We are working to correct this issue.

Kind Regards,

KingsIsle Support

Customer By CSS Email () (02/26/2021 04:24 PM)
      Hello, and thank you for replying to my question. Are you saying that I should get access to the quest Milo is displaying -"A Wizard's Best Friend" - or a different quest from Milo, such as Pet Sounds or Hoard of the Rings?

This wizard is completely finished with Unicorn Way, and is working in Triton Avenue.

A Wizard's Best Friend
      Response By Email (KingsIsle Support) (02/26/2021 08:23 PM)
      Hello,

Whatever quests pop up, you should definitely take! Each quest adds to the story.

Best regards,

KingsIsle Support

Now my wizard has completed all quests in Triton Avenue and turned in the quest Triton Report (retired version). He has leveled up to 9, still has received no new pet quests and Milo Barker still has the gray exclamation when the wizard interacts with him. I'm afraid that he's actually broken here and maybe I should just delete him and start over.
      Name:  Milo Barker quest.png
Views: 243
Size:  142.2 KB
      Does anyone have any better advice than "Just keep questing" - I don't have any Crowns on this account to buy Firecat Alley and Cyclops Lane because I spent them on Pirate101.

Hi Willow. I think that Support may have missed the issue here. I have had Wizards like this too. Some of them got caught up in the 'old' progression of Quests given/received too. When I contacted Support, they were able to move my Wizard forward and skip the Quests that were no longer available. That sounds like what you have going on here too. Not sure how to make that clear to Support, if that is indeed the problem. @Sparck -- any ideas?

AluraMist
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

Tanner Hex is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Tanner Hex's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tanner Hex
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Rex
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Onyx Shenlong Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      Mellow

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I've had some similar issues with side quests in Wizard City. Specifically several side quests that were replaced with revamped versions during the Spring 2020 update are inaccessible to some of my older characters who didn't complete the old version of those quests. This also means these characters can't currently get some sidequest related badges like "Three Streets Savior".

I also noticed one quest line that looks like it was removed for new characters only, but could still be accessed by older characters who had not completed it. Namely the first 3 quests in the old Kraken quest chain: "Wrap It Up", "What the Hay", and "Pick Up Sticks" offered by Blad Raveneye on Triton Avenue. However, the chain abruptly stops after turning in "Pick Up Sticks" and does not continue on to "A Blad Idea?". On the flipside the new kraken quest line starting with "All the Eels" from Sohomer Sunblade is the only side quest that could be accessed by all of my older characters whether or not they completed the retired kraken quest chain. My guess is that this old quest from Milo Barker must've likewise been partially left in the game by mistake, but it's only visible to some characters for whatever reason.

Out of curiosity I decided to go check Milo Barker myself since I have 3 characters on my active account who were created after the Spring 2020 update. One had no quests offered by Milo because I completed them in the past. One had "Hoard of the Rings" available, and had no more quests offered by Milo Barker after it was completed. The last one, a level 15 wizard, is currently seeing what you're seeing: The only quest Milo offers (for lack of a better term) is the "A Wizard's Best Friend" quest, but the exclamation mark is greyed out and the quest can't actually be started.

That's... interesting. The level 15 wizard encountering this problem was the most recently created one. I made him just 3-4 weeks ago. He's already completed the main storyline through Wizard City. I'm pretty sure I didn't complete "Hoard of the Rings" on this guy either since I skipped all side quests on him that aren't required to access certain areas or do certain side activities. And since Milo doesn't offer it that means it's currently inaccessible to him too. In that case deleting and re-starting your character might not fix the issue.

When I emailed support about the inaccessible side quests/badges issue I got the "Is a known issue but no ETA for fix" response so it's reassuring that they know about those. Based on the response you got it looks like they may not be aware of this one just yet. So far it looks like it's only something that affects characters that completed the prerequisite Wizard City quests very recently regardless of when the character themselves was created.

Willowdreamer is online now W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner Hex View Post
      When I emailed support about the inaccessible side quests/badges issue I got the "Is a known issue but no ETA for fix" response so it's reassuring that they know about those. Based on the response you got it looks like they may not be aware of this one just yet. So far it looks like it's only something that affects characters that completed the prerequisite Wizard City quests very recently regardless of when the character themselves was created.
      In their first response to me, Support did say that some of the game's quest systems were not in sync. Someone has the lucky job of tracking that down in their spare time, I'm sure.

I decided to leave this guy be for a while and work on a Level 2 pyromancer that I created just a few months ago. I'll post here if she also encounters issues.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Tanner Hex is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Tanner Hex's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tanner Hex
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Rex
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Onyx Shenlong Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      Mellow

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      In their first response to me, Support did say that some of the game's quest systems were not in sync. Someone has the lucky job of tracking that down in their spare time, I'm sure.

I decided to leave this guy be for a while and work on a Level 2 pyromancer that I created just a few months ago. I'll post here if she also encounters issues.

Good plan. When I learned that some of my characters couldn't get some WC sidequest badges anymore my inner perfectionist was worried that these characters were "broken beyond repair" and that the only solution would be to delete them and start over. It helped me to just keep reminding myself that it clearly a bug and will get fixed eventually as long as KI is aware of the issue. Admittedly it also helps that these particular bugs don't restrict progress to any areas or side activities either.

Regardless of what you find, try not to fret about any of your characters being "broken" in the meantime. I'm sure it will all be okay eventually