----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Dungeon Recall in Deckathalons

With the release of the Balance Deckathalon just around the corner, figured this subject is near and dear to all of us hoping to do well in what is easily the hardest one of them all.

The reason I'm interested in finding about what people think about this is because I recently met someone in game who was convinced that Dungeon Recall was intentional. When I asked if he thought that KI really intended people to "reset" their deck and health at will, his response was "of course, everyone uses it"

ACK!

KI seems to say otherwise. Back on November 13th, KI said this...

Quote Originally Posted by audacioussalix View Post
      And so finally the devs confirm that they know about dungeon recall - and that it's an "issue" NOT intended. Feeling vindicated about contuing to not use it - at least I know I'll still be good at the event when it's gone, unlike some. Only took 3 while months to fix
      Attachment 643904
      But it wasn't.

And more recently, on January 4th @Sparck posted THIS on the W101 Message Boards.

So, we know what some players think and it seems pretty clear what KI intends, but what do YOU think?

I think it's terrible that the winner of the last few Deckathalons has taken advantage of what I feel has been a glitch to earn possibly some of the rarest badges in the entire game. I understand that the messaging from KI on this has been poor - it was reported over and over and over and yet STILL kept coming back and they never had an official response - but it seems like the intent has been obvious. Given this mixed massaging, I can see that banning players who have used this might be harsh, but I really do wish KI could re-calculate the final leaderboards and deduct any points earned AFTER recall was used. THAT would be interesting to see indeed.

Here's to hoping KI comes through this time...

Casp

*** Hang on - just re-reading what was said on the Message board - there is a fix in the NEXT game update?! Has there been a game update since January 4th or does this mean...no no no, say it isn't so....will Dungeon Recall be BACK?!

A C K!!!
      Last edited by Caspeen; 1-13-21 at 2:44:32 PM.

JaredSpellFrost is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thumbs up Re: Dungeon Recall in Deckathalons

I am against removing Dungeon Recall in the Deckathalon because it makes the event much easier to complete. KingsIsle has made grinding the name of the game in the Tower, and have perpetuated the rampant difficulty of the event. For a kids game, the Deckathalon most certainly is not kid friendly!

Until KingsIsle patches the core issues of the Deckathalon (Entry level barriers, insanely difficult fights, lack of ingame guides, etc.), I say that we should keep Dungeon Recall in there, as it makes the grind slightly more bearable. We as a community should focus our attention to solving these problems before tackling the (Currently) nonissue of Dungeon Recall!

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back."
      -Cosmos

WarWeaver is offline Adept Wizard

• WarWeaver's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian SunWeaver
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Incendiary Grimoire

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Dungeon Recall in Deckathalons

It's definitely a glitch. The 3 credits a day cut down on the amount of time players were spending on this event, as well as ensuring only those with the best cards and strategy made it to the top of the leaderboard. This undermines that and I'm happy to see that it will be taken care of.

medlnic15 is offline Journeyman Wizard

Mood:
      Nerdy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I do not believe it is intentional, I think they are just having a hard time fixing this issue.

I haven't seen anyone who is competitive in the events say that they want recall to stay. It does mess up the leaderboards, so I think it needs to be removed. If anything I would like to see the credits upped to 4-5 to help people that just want to farm for runes so the leaderboard would still be legitimate.

The only way I would be okay with recall staying is if you weren't allowed to edit your deck while it's active, so if you do get defeated you can have another chance with your remaining cards.
      140 S | 130 F | 75 L | 75 I | 75 D | 15 B
      140 L | 130 S | 120 D | 75 B | 60 M | 15 I

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Since the introduction of will cast purposedly busted this event already, I don't see a problem in having this exploit available for the rather unskilled people that want to complete the tower without the pet talend and the lvl 8, 9 or 10 decks required to do so.

I tried it myself last deckatalon out of curiosity, but it ported me back at floor 6 (entrance point) when I was fighting floor 9 - all levels but those of 9 were empty, tho.
      Then I tried to enter and port out from floor 9 directly, and it still ported me to 6, this time i had to fight again all the mobs. So I guess dungeon recall itself is messed up.
      Then I had used my three credits and completed the tower so I didn't give it any further thoughts.

The leaderboard means nothing - it only and exclusively depends on whether you have the pet with that one talent or not - so if people want to be proud of that, well, be my guest.
      " I can solve any issues in the world, except those originated by human stupidity"
      ".. that leaves out A LOT.."

AsianKarateKid9 is online now Apprentice Wizard

• AsianKarateKid9's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  mister bandit
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  spiny fish
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

While I agree that it should be removed, I think due to the fact that it has been around for 3+ deckathalons, it's reasonable for many to use it, including the top 10 on the leaderboards. If it's available to everyone and everyone knows about it now, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage by not using it. If the top 3 did not use recall, surely the next top 3 would win using the recall - it's just a matter of how much effort you put in to each run and if you think all that extra time doing floor 8/9/10 is worth it.

I have also met many people who think it is intentional or haven't even batted an eye about the recall because they are not competitive and just wanted to farm for runes.

The amount of people using the recall is growing and large at this point, and it's KI's fault for letting this stick around for so long - as far back as the Ice Deckathalon 5 months ago from the looks of the leaderboards (Brandon SpellCaster with 3700 points, who has even gotten the Deckath-Elite badge and congratulated by Ratbeard himself)

Phenoixblizzard is offline Adept Wizard

• Phenoixblizzard's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Amber DragonBlossom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fern
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mega Snow Beast

Mood:
      Creative

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I admit I'm not sure about this. Since they decided to give us only 3 credits a day with no refills we can buy, it's definitely harder to earn as many points as possible for this event. All it's going to take is some bad luck to ruin a run and waste a credit. Now if we were allowed to purchase credits like we could in the original deckathalon, I would say leave out the recall. However, since we can't, it's going to have to be a matter of seeing what it can do to both the leaderboard people and those who farm simply for points/reagents and trying to find a balance.

The people who want to grind points for the leaderboard can easily flee a fight, refill their health and spells, recall back to where they were, and keep on going. They'll earn more points on one credit using the recall without losing progress, ensuring that they earn the max amount of points as possible per credit. It'll kind of break the leaderboard since they're not being forced to start a floor over with a new credit.

On the other hand, people like me who grind points for the events and aren't worried at all about the leaderboard can easily use it to head back to that hard fight with full health and fresh spells. It'll also make it easier for us to simply farm for those harder-to-get runes or even go after the badge if that person is a badge collector. Since not everyone has a willcast pet or wants to make one, it'll also make it easier on us to farm just in the off chance that our maycast heal pet (if the person has one that is) decides to take a nap instead.
      Wizards vs Bosses

lynchjw is offline Journeyman Wizard

• lynchjw's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jared MistRunner
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Duke Jasmine
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Efreet

Mood:
      Nerdy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

If it's a glitch fix it. If it was an intentional addition (protestations to the contrary not withstanding), remove it. It makes for a lesser game experience the way it is.

audacioussalix is offline Wiki Master

• audacioussalix's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kane Fire
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Boots
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ghastly Opossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I think my stance on this has been made clear in past discussions, but I can't wait to see dungeon recall go and am very firmly against its use in the event. I think it cheapens the victory and it frustrates me to no end that the winning of the past few events has been using it (by his own admission - I have been in contact with him recently), and others on the leaderboard potentially do too, fully enabled by KI's inaction. From discussion with other top level deckathletes, many of us seem to be against it, even if it means giving up board positions to stick to our beliefs. I hope soon it will be fixed and the playing field of the board is once against level so we can see who REALLY is the top player.

As for the stance of other players who may not be active on the central boards, I can say I know that Sarai SoulMender, Sierra Sky, Logan LegendHunter, Brandon SpellCaster, and Paul GoldenForge are all anti-recall and do not use it (Paul actually stopped participating in the event because of it).

audacioussalix is offline Wiki Master

• audacioussalix's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kane Fire
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Boots
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ghastly Opossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Reading back through this thread some more

Quote Originally Posted by AsianKarateKid9 View Post
      The amount of people using the recall is growing and large at this point, and it's KI's fault for letting this stick around for so long - as far back as the Ice Deckathalon 5 months ago from the looks of the leaderboards (Brandon SpellCaster with 3700 points, who has even gotten the Deckath-Elite badge and congratulated by Ratbeard himself)
      Brandon does not and has never cheated. He was the first one to report the recall glitch directly to Ratbeard when it appeared and has been an advocate for its removal. I really thought we were finally over the phase of accusing Brandon of winning illegitimately, but seems not.

Dungeon recall has been observed to be present for 4 events (starting from Death) but may have been there longer, but that does not necessarily discredit the people won those events. Caspeen mentions the winner of the previous 3 events because he has explicitly said that he uses the recall, not because we're pointing fingers at scores we don't like, which is often the case with Brandon.

Sorry but I can't just let a comment like that slide, not when Brandon taught me basically everything to help me get top 10 myself.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast