Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Myth Deckathalon Now Live!

Quote Originally Posted by audacioussalix View Post
      Stage 10 is steal charm and storm hound. Storm hound is very expensive taking a catch of the day tc to craft. All the recipes are on the wiki now anyhow
      Oh, right! Thanks! I keep forgetting to check their first for these events. Just saved me a lot of trouble on writing down info.

audacioussalix is online now Wiki Master

• audacioussalix's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kane Fire
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Bubba
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ghastly Opossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      The "flaws" you are citing are by design. The deckathalon is designed to be a massive gold sink where people utilize their rare and powerful tc. The leaderboard aspect is intended to cater to those players that enjoy competitive deckbuilding. These are not flaws-they are features of the deckathalon. Not every side event will cater to the casual player. Things like the Deckathalon and Monster Mayhem cater to more challenge oriented or "hardcore" players. Things like the spiral showcase, pet promenade and the upcoming castle magic oriented event cater to more casual audiences.

The hamster pet is designed to be obtainable by casual players and absolutely can be- simply do stages 1-4 and the pet will be yours.

The decks are designed to be obtained by more dedicated players and while the advantages they offer to lower level pvpers is significant- the upcoming changes to enchants will serve to curtail their effectiveness.
      Great way of putting it, and my thoughts exactly. The dungeon recall just went against all of these principles of the event's design that made it a bit of a nothing

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyflamefire
      I've said this before - Wizard 101 used to be FUN. Deckathalons aren't fun. They're grindy, impossible to win unless you know the secrets, and it takes from the end of one to the start of the next to replenish your gold. I don't get a sense of accomplishment from completing the tower. I get a sense of relief that I don't have to keep trying anymore. Except I still have to grind to get those stupid superior and strengthening runes that just don't seem to drop for me. Instead I get spellements that do absolutely nothing for me unless I want to use a training point to learn a 1-pip spell that I'll never use. I'd rather just farm Cronus for amber, at least it doesn't cost a king's ransom, and I can do it whenever I want.
      Sounds like they're not for you then. Deckathalons are very fun to many of us! I love the joy of beating the tower or climbing up the board, but I especially love the community I've come to know of other similar minded players, all of who happily share the "secrets" you claim are needed to win with anyone know wants to know.

At the end of the day this kind of mindset is why I had to take a break from wiz. I did get into the view that I HAD to be on and doing everything the game had to offer every day, treating it more like a job than a game... Taking a break made me feel so much better, and realised that missing a Beastmoon or letting a plant die wasn't going to kill me. That put a lot of the joy back in the game for me. I know it seems patronising to point out, but if Deckathalon/anything in wiz is making you feel that frustrated, you don't have to do it.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Exclamation Re: Myth Deckathalon Now Live!

@Robobot1747
      Lets say your first starting Pip is a Power Pip. Add a Power Pip from your wand, a Power Pip from the Deck, and a Pip for going second and bam- seven Pips! I am honestly surprised that KI has not banned these decks from the Arena yet. If you're not careful, you could easily get one-shot by a Triton on the first round in low level PvP (Specifically levels 1-15) if you don't shield!

• Starting Power Pip- 2
      • Wand Power Pip- 2
      • Deckathalon Deck- 2
      • Starting from Second- 1
        =7 Pips

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
      Combine a higher level deckathalon deck with a level 3 essence potion, which gives you an extra pip, and that gives you 7.
      Elixirs are banned in PvP, so this strategy would not work. This would be how you'd get 7 starting Pips in PvE, though.

@Eric Stormbringer

These events were originally advertised for anyone, not just your standard hardcore Player. However, the Deckathalon has devolved into an exclusive club for Players with copious amounts of time and gold on their hands. Even if you are simply aiming for the pet, that's at least tens of thousands of gold spent for Treasure Cards we are still forced to store on TC Mule accounts (The price of vendor Treasure Cards is too dang high!). KingsIsle's original goal with the Deckathalon was to do away with TC Hoarding (Remember the planned TC Vault that they never gave us?), but call the Playerbase Smaug because we're stockpiling Treasure cards now more than ever!
      The leaderboard is nice for those of us who are more competitive, but just ask @Baily Jade what it took for her to get in the top ten. I agree, its great to have this competitive element remain existent, but KingsIsle should not be pushing their Players to such extremes that they end up sacrificing their self-care!

When I last did the Myth Deckathalon for the Hamster, it took me all week and my gold reserves to finally unlock it. I was using a quad heal, Maycast Brace pet that had failed at mega and was crafting the decks as I went along. Even using unique TC like the Krokopatra Minion (Thanks again to Baily for giving me some!) and following guides made by victorious Wizards, I never made it past stage seven. In the end, it boiled down to bad luck, an incomplete pet, and a severe lack of runes.
      Call me crazy, but I believe that with a reasonable amount of effort everyone should be able to beat the tenth floor of each Deckathalon. In a game that is literally designed for ten year-olds though, that just isn't happening. KingsIsle has fixated on ramping up the nessacary strategy to ridiculous levels, not to mention the entry level barriers for this event (A Maycast Pet, which requires a garden, which requires even more farming).

As for the Deckathalon Decks, these are a must have for PvP at least below level 50. And even if these new Enchantment changes go through, I have my doubts that we will see this affect their usage much. The chance to start with seven Pips is just far too good to pass up! As I said before, even though the Deckathlon is optional does not mean it is optional for everyone. If you want to have fighting chances in the Arena, your hand is forced here.

But enough chat about problems! Lets talk solutions. Banning the item cards given by Deckathalon Pets (I say ban the item cards, not the pets, so that Players who use these hamsters won't need to make a new one) and Deckathalon Decks in the Arena is perhaps the best patch KingsIsle can make. In addition, I would recommend splitting the Deckathalon into two difficulties- what it is now, and a much more universally Player friendly mode. Giving us the Treasure Card Vault alongside with lowering vendor TC prices would be the next best step for KingsIsle to take, and banning Pets from the Deckathalon as well.
      I'm not against a challenge, but when we are given no other options- that is when I object. At its core, Wizard101 is a kids game, thus it should be treated as such. Cater to the veterans, but also ensure that you aren't scaring off the newbies and casual Players too!

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back."
      -Cosmos

sparkyflamefire is offline Journeyman Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      The "flaws" you are citing are by design. The deckathalon is designed to be a massive gold sink where people utilize their rare and powerful tc.
      My rare and powerful TC, like my summon Prince Viggor TC I got through monstrology? Oh, wait, can't use it.

Seriously, I completed this Myth Event with nothing bigger than a triton or storm lord (and only a couple of those), and nothing more exotic than a dispel myth. Not much in the way of blades (when my pet did a may cast balance blade, more often than not the mobs destoyed it before I could use it) and no traps.

In the last event I went from stage 1 through 9.1 on 1 credit (I admit it, took advantage of the glitch) using nothing that I couldn't buy from the librarian, bazaar, or the vendor in the arcanum. I did it exactly once, to step through all the lower levels as quickly as possible so i'd have more chances at 9.2 and 10.2. Took me 2 1/2 hours. If people are going to grind through 2 1/2 hours per credit, glitch or no, just to make the top of the leaderboard, no sirree, not for me.

Happy Fun Ball is offline Grandmaster Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

No, the deckathalon is most certainly not for me. Not anymopre. It used to be when you had unlimited credits which allowed you to stock up on runes and develop strategies to get to and farm the higher floors (which was 4 at that time). There was a short period where it was raised to 10, but none of the other changes had not occurred yet (higher floors = higher damage, bubble cheat, limited credits, and no leaderboard). That one was perfect and I enjoyed doing that one, and I don't even mind the other changes all that much, but the limited credits all but ruined it for me.
      Last edited by Happy Fun Ball; 11-14-20 at 10:50:13 AM.

millot is offline Apprentice Wizard

• millot's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  blazeduneflame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  max

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

if you don't need any thig they are offering don't play.
      me i just need the clay, some day i will have enough to craft Sinbad gauntlet. ( about a year i think)

Tanner Hex is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Tanner Hex's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tanner Hex
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Rex
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Onyx Shenlong Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      Mellow

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

So, this is my first real attempt at a deckathalon. I realize Myth probably wasn't the easiest one to start with.

My biggest source of frustration from this event is the 2v1 fights. My hope for this deckathalon is to try to get my Myth deck as high-leveled as possible for the next time it comes around. But hoo boy getting past those 2v1 fights just to learn higher deck recipe is brutal. Assuming your deck level = stage level, it seems like both enemies will have more health and starting pips than you do. You're totally outclassed. The only way to possibly withstand the assault of 2 more powerful foes is through pet maycasts, particularly heals, to the point where my actual strategy seems to be more of an afterthought.

Starting with I think stage 4 these 2v1 fights have been super frustrating. Once I'm finally able to get past them and hopefully clear the stage, I can finally get a new deck recipe that will make those fights more manageable in the future. Until that happens, though, the only thing that really seems to determine whether I win or lose is if I got lucky enough with pet heals during the duel.

I've tried multiple strategies to get past each fight (which is fun to try out), but each time I won the x.2 fights for the first time I distinctly remember I was getting lucky with pet maycasts, particularly with heals and/or MC brace being cast in succession. If my pet wasn't feeling generous with the maycasts, though, then no strategy I tried seemed to make much of a difference. I was simply taking too much damage and dying before I could do anything, whether it was attacking, healing myself, using drains, or anything else.

I don't mind a little bit of luck factor involved. It is basically a card game after all so that comes with the territory. But from my experience so far it seems like whether I win or lose these 2v1 fights is based too much on how lucky or unlucky I get with the MC healing and auras because you're just taking way too much damage from 2 enemies to survive otherwise.

Winning those duels for the first time didn't even feel satisfying. I was well aware that random pet healing and auras were what seemed to make all the difference. Other than having the pet equipped, I didn't win because of anything I actually did. I just got lucky that time. And since credits are limited I've only got a number of attempts per day where I can hope my pet heals and protects me enough to actually pull through.

I tried looked around central for a deckathalon forum where I could try discussing strategy but I didn't see anything like that. Am I just blind or is there nothing like that currently?

Eric Stormbringer is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Eric Stormbringer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Stormbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Amorphous

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      @Eric Stormbringer

These events were originally advertised for anyone, not just your standard hardcore Player. However, the Deckathalon has devolved into an exclusive club for Players with copious amounts of time and gold on their hands. Even if you are simply aiming for the pet, that's at least tens of thousands of gold spent for Treasure Cards we are still forced to store on TC Mule accounts (The price of vendor Treasure Cards is too dang high!). KingsIsle's original goal with the Deckathalon was to do away with TC Hoarding (Remember the planned TC Vault that they never gave us?), but call the Playerbase Smaug because we're stockpiling Treasure cards now more than ever!
      The leaderboard is nice for those of us who are more competitive, but just ask @Baily Jade what it took for her to get in the top ten. I agree, its great to have this competitive element remain existent, but KingsIsle should not be pushing their Players to such extremes that they end up sacrificing their self-care!
      When I last did the Myth Deckathalon for the Hamster, it took me all week and my gold reserves to finally unlock it. I was using a quad heal, Maycast Brace pet that had failed at mega and was crafting the decks as I went along. Even using unique TC like the Krokopatra Minion (Thanks again to Baily for giving me some!) and following guides made by victorious Wizards, I never made it past stage seven. In the end, it boiled down to bad luck, an incomplete pet, and a severe lack of runes.
      Call me crazy, but I believe that with a reasonable amount of effort everyone should be able to beat the tenth floor of each Deckathalon. In a game that is literally designed for ten year-olds though, that just isn't happening. KingsIsle has fixated on ramping up the nessacary strategy to ridiculous levels, not to mention the entry level barriers for this event (A Maycast Pet, which requires a garden, which requires even more farming).
      As for the Deckathalon Decks, these are a must have for PvP at least below level 50. And even if these new Enchantment changes go through, I have my doubts that we will see this affect their usage much. The chance to start with seven Pips is just far too good to pass up! As I said before, even though the Deckathlon is optional does not mean it is optional for everyone. If you want to have fighting chances in the Arena, your hand is forced here.
      But enough chat about problems! Lets talk solutions. Banning the item cards given by Deckathalon Pets (I say ban the item cards, not the pets, so that Players who use these hamsters won't need to make a new one) and Deckathalon Decks in the Arena is perhaps the best patch KingsIsle can make. In addition, I would recommend splitting the Deckathalon into two difficulties- what it is now, and a much more universally Player friendly mode. Giving us the Treasure Card Vault alongside with lowering vendor TC prices would be the next best step for KingsIsle to take, and banning Pets from the Deckathalon as well.
      I'm not against a challenge, but when we are given no other options- that is when I object. At its core, Wizard101 is a kids game, thus it should be treated as such. Cater to the veterans, but also ensure that you aren't scaring off the newbies and casual Players too!
      The Deckathalon in particular was never advertised as casual friendly. From the very beginning it was outlined as a challenging event that only the "best" could complete. It does offer rewards for casual play in the pets and lower level recipes and runes but actually finishing stage 10 and more impressively-topping the leaderboard has been explicitly designed to be difficult. Virtually every design change the Deckathalon has gone through has served to reinforce this principle.

The Deckathalon follows a similar design philosophy as another game I enjoy called Slay the Spire- where you climb a tower with increasingly difficult enemies. Your "reward" for winning is an ascension which increases the difficulty of your climb by either buffing the enemies or nerfing the players- each ascension stacks with the prior. Note the amount of hours I've played and how I have won a mere 1/10th of my attempts- yet I still go back for more and I still enjoy each run. The gameplay loop present in Slay the Spire and the Deckathalon is fun to many players, but isn't to many others and that's ok. Wizard101 has a very diverse player base and these events cater to different types of players.
      Name:  Slay the Spire 1.PNG
Views: 74
Size:  408.0 KB Name:  Slay the Spire 2.PNG
Views: 81
Size:  129.0 KB

I don't think everything in the game needs to be completed or completable by all players. The Devs seem to be going this route too with badges that are only achievable by certain types of players. PvPers have their own badges, Pet trainers, Housing Gurus, PvE Soloers, Team PvE players etc.

I do like your idea of a casual version of the Deckathalon to appeal to those types of players but I do believe that said version of the Deckathalon should have it's own reward pathways to prevent overlap.
      Last edited by Eric Stormbringer; 11-14-20 at 3:00:27 AM.

Profile Picture by Touches of Alyssa
      Signature by Skyfuria

ValdusWildheart is offline Legendary Wizard

Mood:
      Stressed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      So...I thought I would toss a few comments out as I believe I have been on both sides of the scale as a player. Currently I'd say I'm super casual to nonexistent.
      • First and foremost, I think KI having content that is targeted to "hardcore" players is nothing but good for everyone. They happily spend a LOT of money on the game, which makes it more affordable for those who can't or don't want to. The difference would probably be shocking to many. But general estimates are that 80% or more of revenue comes from these big spenders.
      • Second, the towers are available to everyone. There is no real money investment required to play. They aren't locked behind a paywall. There's no advantage to pack gear, etc. Will I get to floor 10? Not even close. I'd like to. But it's not a realistic ROI for the investment I can make even as much as I love towers (since Durlag's Tower LOL). But I can do the first few levels economically (time and gold) and you can get some really nice rewards with limited effort. It's what I'm doing.

On a different vein: I mentioned on another thread I miss the content creators. I had thought about doing some "Pauper's Guides" a few years ago, and this would be a great one to do if I only had time. I know a lot of us depended on play-by-play guides people did for difficult bosses, and this is a great area for that too. It's really too bad those seem long gone.

I would be interested in the TC/gold economy. Maybe that is a question you could ask on the next KI Live? Has the "stock" of TCs declined? The "flow" surely has increased, but is it enough to accomplish what KI wanted to do? I do see a difference in stockpiling cards to be used vs. stockpiling and essentially retiring them by the thousands.
      Last edited by ValdusWildheart; 11-14-20 at 11:27:05 AM.

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I was talking to @JaredSpellFrost on another platform.

First off, I recall KI banning players for collecting certain housing items and selling them at the bazaar for gold. For me, I think using the dungeon recall is more a reason for banning a player then what happened long ago. However, I have rethink this through and till they officially fix this issue, they should give a warning to those who use this glitch that if they get caught, they will be removed from the leaderboard. It took me long hard hours of playing to achieve the top ten and if I had time, I know I can achieve top ranks, but I am not going to waste 2.5 hours per run nor am I going to risk my over all health for this. The thing is with this dungeon recall, its a way of cheating. You leave the dungeon and reset your deck and heal to go back in and complete the run. The whole purpose of the event is to see how far you can get on the deck that you have using only treasure cards. KI has made it a little easier with offering stage decks, but like anything else you need to build and save up to earn those decks. Its more rewarding knowing that you did it using one deck and one run without dungeon recall.

I will agree that the deckathalon was a way for us to use up tc and it was mention it was something for all players to do. I have suggested many times that they should allow players to farm the lower stages 1 through 4 at no cost, but only once they complete those stages. This will help more the casual players achieve the pet. However, its not impossible. You can do this with in the time using only the 3 credits per day and doing stages 1 through 4.

Yes having a pet does help, but its not a requirement to have and you do not have to have the best pet! You just need one that works for you.

At this time, players should know that this event comes around, so save your gold. You have more then enough time to earn gold to max your wizard out so you can do the runs.

You do NOT need special cards. I was able to defeat the teachers with basic tc that can be bought by Harold in WC, that Cranky Monkey in the Arcanum. I have been slowly collecting certain seeds to garden other spells for this event, but I really rely more on the classic tc spells.

Next there was something mention about the Kroger jewels? Well, if you think that theses jewels help, then go get them. They have been around longer this event. They can be transfer without being shatter, so put it on your deck event pet.

Like anything else in the game, you have to work at it. Nothing is going to be handed to you. Those who have done this event has shared a lot of info about the floors and what you have to defeat. The only real issue is those who have the time have the one true advantage over others, but everything else if fair game to all. Not everyone is a PVP'er Warlord, Master Pet Hatcher, Pro Decorator, a Master Glitcher, Master in fishing. They have all these different things out there so there is a little something for all, but it take time in learning and becoming really good at something.

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast