Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Lightbulb Re: Upcoming Critical and Block changes

Quote Originally Posted by ValdusWildheart View Post
      When you've sunk hundreds (thousands?) of hours into perfecting your gear a big change like this is a bitter pill to swallow. But it likely will mean a lot more farming and packs.
      With the gear turnover rate being so high because of all the PTW Packs, I share these concerns too. I don't want to see all of our current gear rendered obsolete because of this change, and I do not want to be forced into hundreds of hours or out of hundreds of dollars to maintain the best stats.

100% Critical should still be possible for all schools, though this must naturally come with trade offs. Storm should easily be able to reach this achievement, but Ice Wizards will need to make serious sacrifices to other stats to get 100% Critical as well. And our current critical percentages need to remain roughly the same too- the calculations have got to be the factor that significantly mutates, not our gear!

Last edited by JaredSpellFrost; 10-15-20 at 7:51:24 PM.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back."
      -Cosmos

Eric Stormbringer is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Eric Stormbringer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Stormbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Amorphous

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Upcoming Critical and Block changes

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      With the gear turnover rate being so high because of all the PTW Packs, I share these concerns too. I don't want to see all of our current gear rendered obsolete because of this change, and I do not want to be forced into hundreds of hours or out of hundreds of dollars to maintain the best stats.

100% Critical should still be possible for all schools, though this must naturally come with trade offs. Storm should easily be able to reach this achievement, but Ice Wizards will need to make serious sacrifices to other stats to get 100% Critical as well. And our current critical percentages need to remain roughly the same too- the calculations have got to be the factor that significantly mutates, not our gear!

As they're using a limit function- 100% critical is likely impossible. However-(as per Devs) they can tweak the numbers based on test realm results to come close. If they do want to retain the possibility of 100% critical they may be able to apply an exception above a certain value but all of this is conjecture till test comes out.

Name:  Limit function.PNG
Views: 130
Size:  46.9 KB

Profile Picture by Touches of Alyssa
      Signature by Skyfuria

goldendragon18 is offline Master Wizard

• goldendragon18's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Fallon WinterLeaf
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mr Charlie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ianthine (Ultra)

Mood:
      Curious

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by lethargy101 View Post
      For God's sake don't change Critical in PVE. There's no need make room for improvement it's something we have or don't have. I spent a lot of crowns getting the wands to get 100%. Mess with PVP if you must but I paid, like many for the ability to crit every hit/heal in PVE. If you want to make new worlds where they block more fine but stop messing with something that isn't broken. This is why I stopped spending money on crowns because you try and changes things that have been in game for 5 years or more. Let's be honest it's only PVP that complain because Life can crit heal. Just let any changes stay in the arena. lessen the arena to 1.4 but leave PVE with a double hit or heal.

The Critical change needed is to give Life, Balance, Death and especially Ice more critical on the dark moor gear and the guitar wands!
      I don't know about the Crit Heals in PvP but I do know, I have not had a decent Crit Heal in PvE since Khrysalis. I used to Crit Heal almost every heal. Now I rarely see a crit heal or damage. Not everything is because of PvP.

At this point, we need to wait and see how this works out. We would all like to see a double hit or heal but honestly, it isn't happening now.

I don't know anymore than you or even @Eric Stormbringer how the changes will affect PvE... I will say, that all we can do is TEST IT. Give our feedback and hope the Devs tweak it if necessary. Not all of us are using Top gear. That alone is going to make a difference, but, I am not going to chase it. I play for fun.

Fallon WinterLeaf

Kingurz is offline Adept Wizard

• Kingurz's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Matthew Deathshade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Pepper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fierce Hound
      ----

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      This is mostly me patting myself on the back but it's super exciting to see my analysis from years ago turned out to be correct and more importantly- that KI is actively fixing longstanding issues.

Attachment 643315

Attachment 643316

Attachment 643317
      You don't post as often as you did back in those days, so how will you prophesize the next evolution?????

I also miss the "old days" where you, gtarhannon, Darthjt and others would crunch some major stats. I still see it occasionally over on your "home" fan site.....but not as much as the old days. Maybe you have learned all there is to know like Cao Tzu?

Finally, one odd comment I heard Ratbeard make it the last KI Live was, "I'm more involved in this upcoming update than you think".....now makes better sense, seeing as how crit/block changes alluded to his dev diary will likely go with the Karamelle update. That leaves possibly two more "rebalance" updates after Karamelle before 5th Age PvP will be ready.
      Last edited by Kingurz; 10-15-20 at 8:21:21 PM.

Eric Stormbringer is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Eric Stormbringer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Stormbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Amorphous

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Kingurz View Post
      You don't post as often as you did back in those days, so how will you prophesize the next evolution?????

I also miss the "old days" where you, gtarhannon, Darthjt and others would crunch some major stats. I still see it occasionally over on your "home" fan site.....but not as much as the old days. Maybe you have learned all there is to know like Cao Tzu?

Finally, one odd comment I heard Ratbeard make it the last KI Live was, "I'm more involved in this upcoming update than you think".....now makes better sense, seeing as how crit/block changes alluded to his dev diary will likely go with the Karamelle update. That leaves possibly two more "rebalance" updates after Karamelle before 5th Age PvP will be ready.
      Ah yes the good old days. We've lost so many players over the years. I miss @Nesogra who would be especially happy to see a variation of his resist formula being used for this new system. As for predictions- what's really fun right now is that the Devs have quite a lot of leeway in what direction they want to go. Once the problems are adequately identified and understood- many solutions are possible. I actually can't predict what they will do because the Devs have shown a penchant for innovative ideas. I will say that i'm super excited for test realm so we can get a clearer picture of what the future holds.
      Last edited by Eric Stormbringer; 10-15-20 at 9:24:31 PM.

Profile Picture by Touches of Alyssa
      Signature by Skyfuria

SeptenaryRavens is online now Magus Wizard

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I'm glad KI is being more.......transparent. The last few years it seemed like we only heard of changes through reading the test realm update notes. Now we're getting a bit more of a heads up so that changes like this one are more palettable and easier to digest, rather than being caught off guard.

About the changes, it is what it is. Change is inevitable, and so far we've adapted to them all over the last 12 years. I personally wasn't an avid user of critical sets outside of loremaster farming, so the critical portion isn't as much of a nerf for me this time around. What I am excited about is block. Now that block has some use, maybe I can start using my double block pets again...? When I first started out in Pet Central, double block pets were what interested me the most, but I haven't used them since Empyrea Pt. 1 was released.

Cody Nightblade is offline Initiate Wizard

• Cody Nightblade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cody Nightblade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lucky
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Battle Cherub

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thank you for sharing this!

I was intrigued by the Dev Diary and decided to see what formula(s) they used for those computations.

I'll define Ratio as Ratio = Critical / Block (I'd assume they would use the percentages, but I'm not too sure as they might or might not use an alternative method of comparison ― details of which are not stated in the Dev Diary).
      (Defining Ratio as such allows for comparison of Critical to Block, assuming appropriate level adjustment.)
      So far, I've gotten these results:
      ― Critical Chance: [(Ratio) / (Ratio + 1/3)]
      ― Block Chance: 1 - Critical Chance = 1 - [(Ratio) / (Ratio + 1/3)]
        (The few cases in the Dev Diary seem to imply that Critical Chance + Block Chance = 100%.)
      ― Critical DMG Multiplier: 1 + [(Ratio) / (Ratio + 3)]

[With this, the statement of "....for a defender whose Block stat is appropriate for their level (in comparison to the attacker's Crit), the resulting critical damage multiplier usually falls in the x1.2 to x1.4 range" implies a Ratio between 0.75 and 2.0. This means that an appropriate Block stat would be anywhere from 75% to 200% of the attacker's Critical stat, assuming appropriate level adjustment.]

jlegendwielder is offline Initiate Wizard

Mood:
      Bemused

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Nightblade View Post
      Thank you for sharing this!

I was intrigued by the Dev Diary and decided to see what formula(s) they used for those computations.

I'll define Ratio as Ratio = Critical / Block (I'd assume they would use the percentages, but I'm not too sure as they might or might not use an alternative method of comparison ― details of which are not stated in the Dev Diary).
      (Defining Ratio as such allows for comparison of Critical to Block, assuming appropriate level adjustment.)
      So far, I've gotten these results:
      ― Critical Chance: [(Ratio) / (Ratio + 1/3)]
      ― Block Chance: 1 - Critical Chance = 1 - [(Ratio) / (Ratio + 1/3)]
        (The few cases in the Dev Diary seem to imply that Critical Chance + Block Chance = 100%.)
      ― Critical DMG Multiplier: 1 + [(Ratio) / (Ratio + 3)]

[With this, the statement of "....for a defender whose Block stat is appropriate for their level (in comparison to the attacker's Crit), the resulting critical damage multiplier usually falls in the x1.2 to x1.4 range" implies a Ratio between 0.75 and 2.0[!]. This means that an appropriate Block stat would be anywhere from 75% to 200%[!] of the attacker's Critical stat, assuming appropriate level adjustment.]

Yes, it's all very clear, isn't it?

"I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam."

Jonathan Greenflame is offline Master Wizard

• Jonathan Greenflame's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jonathan Greenflame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Bubba
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Wintry Elf
      ----

Mood:
      Confused

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Oh wonderful! I get gear setups on my characters I'm pleased with and they want to go and change things again UGH.

lethargy101 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Fine

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      I know a lot of people are stuck on nostalgia but this is a change that had to happen if the game hopes to continue. Most of the stats in Wizard101 have reached "critical mass" and need to be constrained or revamped. This includes PvE.
      No weakening stats only to make you farm/buy packs is not the way forward. It's great for KI but not players. I'm aware some players have 170% damage and 100% critical but I certainly don't. The wizards I have with 100% critical are more balanced to have reasonable resist and around 100% Damage. I spent money, a lot of money to get those wands as an investment for my wizards and my fun. We know this is only about PVP, all changes of this nature are for that community. PVE doesn't need any changes in this regard. The gear doesn't have to really get better part from say a ring that gives enough extra critical to keep critical at 100%. If anything they could add stats like block rating or stun resist to equivalents of the darkmoor robe and hat(or Dragoons etc)to make improvements and not raising other stats.

If the game is too continue it should honor agreements it made whether explicitly said or not. They took everyone's money knowing what they were selling. I invested in energy gear to have something to help me for the lifetime of the game. I invested in Jade gear to help me in stupidly tough dungeons. If they want to make better items that's fine but nerfing items I paid for is not right or moral.
      @goldendragon18 my wiz that have 100% crit always crit but sometime they block, sometimes not. Heals work every time. I don't farm for a lot of upgrades just go for good enough. Darkmoor/Exalted duel hat and robe and critical boots from a pack, assuming I have a guitar wand for that wiz then work on a pet and add jewels from questing/gardening so I have 100%

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast