•  Incendiary Grimoire

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Fire Deckathalon Now Live!

Looks like I won't be able to complete this one unless I get a stronger deck due to how bugged those Heckhounds are. Getting hit for 300+ a round even with no boosts and regardless of how many pips they have on stage 9 is nuts.

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by WarWeaver View Post
      Looks like I won't be able to complete this one unless I get a stronger deck due to how bugged those Heckhounds are. Getting hit for 300+ a round even with no boosts and regardless of how many pips they have on stage 9 is nuts.
      try to get a minion ASAP and defend it. If you have a deck 8 and some Healing pet, it should work fine.

Also think about using triage, dispels and frozen armor.

The bug seems to work this way: they cast some heckhound that does or doesn't consume all pips. Then they chain with another, and the second takes into account all the pips used by the first. If any other spell is cast in between, the pips count is correct. So if you can disrupt the chain, you should be fine.

EDIT: the bug goes away only if their spells uses pips, apparently.
      Last edited by richardDkht; 10-18-20 at 4:08:06 PM.

sparkyflamefire is offline Journeyman Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by WarWeaver View Post
      I used a level 8 deck for stage 9. Also. quench comes in handy when they have a lot of pips. Can't just spam it because it does cost 2 pips to cast. But sometimes it uses up all/most of their pips on the fizzle (heckhound or mega-trap?), sometimes it doesn't seem to use up any pips (blade or trap prevented?).

Another tactic - Regenerate can offset the damage from a 300 pt heckhound every round, if you can survive long enough to get it down.
      Last edited by sparkyflamefire; 10-18-20 at 4:19:11 PM.

WarWeaver is offline Adept Wizard

• WarWeaver's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian SunWeaver
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Incendiary Grimoire

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thanks for the tips but I've already tried those. I really think I just need more deck space so I'll just farm runes to craft deck 8 and try again next time. I also appear to still be getting hit with those high powered Heckhounds even when they aren't chaining them. Their was only one enemy left on 9.2, I had no Dot on me, they cast a Brimstone and then a 4-pip Heckhound afterward but it was still doing 300 a round even without any buffs.

Caspeen is offline W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyflamefire View Post
      quench comes in handy when they have a lot of pips. Can't just spam it because it does cost 2 pips to cast.
      I realize it's not sustainable for multiple use, but if you just need to pass this level, consider DOUBLE QUENCH, or maybe a few one pip Quench form the Eye Of Bartleby pack. I'm in search of the Double ones myself, but if you need a few one pip EOB ones then hit me up when you see me in game.

Casp

audacioussalix is online now Wiki Master

• audacioussalix's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kane Fire
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Bubba
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ghastly Opossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Took me 7 attempts to beat stage 10 of this one - losing on 10.2 every time. In the end I was using a storm elemental to take aggro and defending it a lot, used more triages on my minion than on myself. Was VERY frustrating with the glitches and cost me a leaderboard spot but oh well. Has been reported at least. Too bad KI can't refund the years taken off my life to stress

Farming has been ok though. Just that top floor that was wearing me down

Phenoixblizzard is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Phenoixblizzard's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Amber DragonBlossom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fern
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mega Snow Beast

Mood:
      Creative

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Has @Sparck ever gotten back about those dungeon recalls for the deckathalon? When I lost connection yesterday in the middle of stage 4 and I had to close out to reconnect, I had a dungeon recall to go back to where I was when I logged back in. It'd be nice to know if those recalls are okay or not, especially if a connection loss happens.
      Last edited by Phenoixblizzard; 10-20-20 at 11:43:27 AM. Reason: Typos. Hate them
      Wizards vs Bosses

mss101 is offline Initiate Wizard

• mss101's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Mary StarShade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I got up early for my last 3 chances to beat Stage 10 and made it on the 3rd attempt. I really think it was pure luck between the dragons and backdraft. I used plague this time around to help and had the level 8 deck crafted.
      On the plus side, I got to craft the flaming hands too.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Caspeen is offline W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Another Deckathalon in the book and, much like the last one, the end couldn't come fast enough. The grinding required to compete for the leader board (and a badge!)is exhausting and, in terms of pet snacks and gold, costly. I can't tell you how well I will sleep tonight now that it's over!

That said, it wan't all doom and gloom, especially for fellow Centralian @phantomslick7272 who notched her second 2nd place Deckathlon trophy. Congrats on an AMAZING effort!

But back to a little doom and gloom because there were a number of issues with this deckathalon that were really frustrating.

1. The Heckhound pip issue. As called out a few times in the thread, sometimes they would still have some pips left after using a heckhound and, on the higher floors, sometimes the heckhounds would do insane amounts of damage with just a few pips. Given how often heckhound was used by these guys, this had a significant impact for many players.

2. Will Cast pet double hitting. OK, so I'm sure those with Frozen Kraken weren't too upset about this, but as thrilled as I was whenever this happened - again, usually on the higher stages like 8th and 9th - this still is a glitch that somehow made it into the live game.

And last, but and certainly the most egregious...

3. Dungeon Recall. A real game changer that KI not only refuses to acknowledge but also didn't seem bothered to resolve since it was part of the Death Deckathalon as well. All one has to do to see the impact this might have had on the game is to look at the score 1st place ended with - 3853. Here's how that breaks down...

3853 - 160 (20 "free" points x 8 days) = 3693
      3693 / 24 credits (3 per day x 8 days) = 153.87

Using the following table....

First fight Second fight Third fight Stage Total Running Total
      Stage 1 1 2 1 4 4
      Stage 2 2 4 2 8 12
      Stage 3 3 6 3 12 24
      Stage 4 4 8 4 16 40
      Stage 5 4 8 4 16 56
      Stage 6 5 10 5 20 76
      Stage 7 5 10 5 20 96
      Stage 8 6 11 6 23 119
      Stage 9 6 12 6 24 143
      Stage 10 7 7 150

...you can see that to AVERAGE 153.875 points you have to consistently go from the first fight of stage 1 all the way to the first fight of stage 10 (150 points) and sometimes make it to past the 2nd fight of stage 10. That is...wow. AMAZING! But possible without Dungeon Recall? Although I was able to make it to 10.1 on at least 6 or 7 attempts I could never get past 10.2 as invariably I had burned almost all my shields and most of my cards just eeking my way past 9.2. And yet this appears to be something @Brian Firerider did consistently. I don't profess to having all the secrets of the Deckathalon but having 24 attempts at making it past 10.2 and failing to come anywhere close even ONCE seems to suggest either Brian knows something that no one else knows or....Dungeon Recall maybe?

Sadly, even if this had been used apparently KI doesn't considered it "cheating" because they decided to do nothing about it. It was there from the LAST event at which point I attempted to notify them about it and a month later it was STILL there. I asked for clarification from @Sparck on this - CAN we use it without threat of sanction?! - and...nothing. So, as much as Dungeon Recall goes against everything this event is supposedly about, KI silently condones it by failing to take any action at all.

Why will KI not OWN this? If it's a glitch as I believe it is, FIX IT! And if the decision is that there are more important things for the KI team to focus on right now, fine, but at least acknowledge that it's there so we can all play by the same rules! OWN it! It's their game, their mistake, and it should have been up to them to ensure that this event is fair for all, not just those who know how to take advantage of a glitch. Does this mean I think KI should have come out and admitted that this was a glitch? HECK YA! I know that they would have taken flack for it - admitting an error and all - but at the end of the day, what would it COST them? So a few folks would be able to farm more, and get more points, and collect more runes - so what? Is KI out any money because of this? Had they come out and acknowledged this error - whether it's "hey, don't use Recall or else...", or "Sorry this is in the game but have at it" - either way, it would have allowed everyone to play by the same set of rules, broken as they may be.

Of course, the best outcome would have been if KI had fixed it when they first were made aware of this issue. That they didn't speaks volumes because either they aren't listening, or they don't care, or they were hoping that no one would notice and, if they did, that no one would actually USE it. Well, maybe someone did....and look how that turned out for them.

Well, I have no clue what the real story is but I hope KI listens this time and tries a bit harder to address this obvious glitch before the next Deckathalon comes out.

Casp

sparkyflamefire is offline Journeyman Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

First of all, hats to those who managed to do 24 runs of 2-hours or more to make the top of the leaderboard, glitch or not. I know that in my condition, its not something I'm physically capable of anymore. My main wizard completed the tower; but then he, like all my other wizards, just farmed stage 1 through 3.1. (The other wizards did each make 1 run through completing stage 4) And that was enough for them to get the pet. And I accumulated enough runes to craft a level 10 deck for my main wizard (upgrade from a level 7 deck) and upgrade 3 other wizards from a level 6 to a level 7 deck. Which is all I was really going for this event. Even just a top 10 finish isn't possible if you have a fail or two attempting the tower.

I decided a few events ago that rather than leave credits unused on my 'other' wizards, I would rather do many quick runs (7 minutes or so) than a few 2 hour runs. In the death event I mixed in a few runs that were 1 - 5.1 (still only 1/2 hour or so) with the 1-3.1 runs, and got all 6 wizards in the top 100 (Honoree badge). But I didn't have the energy to do even that this time.

Added bonus - didn't have to spend a fortune on TC. Other than getting my main wiz through the tower, I used a 8-card deck to do the 1-3.1 runs: 1 frost beetle, 2 blizzard, 3 evil snowman, 1 snow serpent, and 1 ice wyvern. Not even any shields or heals. Of course, they were using level 6 decks. And the frost beetle was only used if the snowman came up short on the fire fighter (2.2). Even getting through the tower, I didn't use anything bigger than an ice colossus or frost giant, though I did add shields, heals, and quench.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast