• PS Gaming
  • Raging
  • Sleeping2
  • Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
  • View Poll Results: Do You Want Classic Crown Sales Back?

Voters
    56. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

54 96.43%
    • No

2 3.57%
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
        Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: R.I.P Classic Crown Sales

I must say that everything else in my life seems to cost far more than it did 10 years ago, or even three years ago. The cost for playing Wizard101 as a subscriber has never been increased, and I think that says something. As a subscriber who doesn't PvP, or create perfect pets, my enjoyment of the game isn't really affected by sales on Crowns.

Decreasing frequency of the "classic Crown Sales" in order to slightly and surreptitiously increase the cost for buying/spending Crowns seems like a logical way to distribute a balancing of revenue to Kingsisle's rising costs. New players SHOULD be paying slightly more than we did, because in the grand scheme of things, their investment in setting up their wizards is most valuable to Kingsisle at any given point in time.

That being said, if Crowns went on sale next month, I would probably buy some -- if I weren't expecting a bill for $600 to repair my air conditioning unit when the part they ordered comes in. When my Crowns on hand goes low enough that I can't afford to buy what I want in-game, and I have the money available, that's when I buy. If I can't afford to buy Crowns, then my wizards can go without.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Kingurz is offline Adept Wizard

• Kingurz's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Matthew Deathshade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Pepper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fierce Hound
      ----

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
      I must say that everything else in my life seems to cost far more than it did 10 years ago, or even three years ago. The cost for playing Wizard101 as a subscriber has never been increased, and I think that says something. As a subscriber who doesn't PvP, or create perfect pets, my enjoyment of the game isn't really affected by sales on Crowns.

Decreasing frequency of the "classic Crown Sales" in order to slightly and surreptitiously increase the cost for buying/spending Crowns seems like a logical way to distribute a balancing of revenue to Kingsisle's rising costs. New players SHOULD be paying slightly more than we did, because in the grand scheme of things, their investment in setting up their wizards is most valuable to Kingsisle at any given point in time.

That being said, if Crowns went on sale next month, I would probably buy some -- if I weren't expecting a bill for $600 to repair my air conditioning unit when the part they ordered comes in. When my Crowns on hand goes low enough that I can't afford to buy what I want in-game, and I have the money available, that's when I buy. If I can't afford to buy Crowns, then my wizards can go without.

Very good point. Only Crowns items, mostly cosmetic, are the things with a price hike (except the controversial spellement system). Membership has thankfully stayed the same in price.....however, it also seems the "value" of membership has decreased over time, as well.

1. Membership Benefits are way better in Crowns potion form, since you are able to control when and how to maximize the benefits (opposed to hoping your schedule matches up with the randomness of KI's decision to turn on/off certain benefits)

2. The amount of new world releases has dropped significantly. Membership in the early 2010s gave you two new worlds a year, where in the current cycle you get a new world every other year. (Pay by Area Crowns players have already "recouped" their investment)

3. Increased Backpack and Friends is no longer an exceptional perk anymore, since you buy potions for Crowns that increases these caps permanently......not just while you "rent" the game.

4. The only new exclusive members only items in recent years are the dances/emotes and the special price off the Scroll of the Fortune.

5. The best membership "deals" are still the age old favorites of unlimited PvP, test realm access, message board posting, and faster timers. Pretty much unchanged in recent years, so it seems right the membership price should NOT increase.

Kokyota is offline Adept Wizard

• Kokyota's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Iridian, Neela, Jaz, Jr, Sari
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Way too many to name
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Crazy Creatures

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post

I unerstand where you are coming from. As for me, I dance to a different drummer as my membership is my membership(s). But a Sale is a Sale! And a Super Crown Sale/50% More Crowns is even a Greater Sale!

Oxnhorse is offline Adept Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

To the OP and everyone that is moaning how KI has ruined their crown spree;

W101 website starting today has a 6 Month/8,250 crown sale until the 24th.

Oxnhorse

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      Thank you for perfectly encapsulating how I feel on this as well! KingsIsle had a years long precedent of hosting Classic Crown Sales, but almost overnight, it seemed, they vanished. Talk about eroding Player/Company trust!

KingsIsle is of course under no obligation to continue these sales, but why would they stop? 2018 was a great year financially for KingsIsle, and the fact that they have ramped up their weekly promotions tells me that enough people are buying into those to turn a profit... So why stop hosting these acclaimed sales? I believe that the answer is simple: Greed. These classic sales may be perceived as a net loss at KingsIsle, and so to maximize profits the new VP of Marketing cut them from the rotation.

Do keep in mind that is is all speculation on my part, and that I would love to be proven wrong by seeing the triumphant return of Classic Crown Sales! ...But with that said, I wouldn't be too surprised if what I have formulated here is true, or at least not far from the truth. Until KingsIsle opens their "Disney Vault" though, I suppose we will never know for certain!

To those that wanna blow their credit cards for crowns;

You have 4 days (21-24) of September. KI has it posted on their W101 website.

Oxnhorse

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Exclamation Re: R.I.P Classic Crown Sales

@Oxnhorse

$60 for 8,000 Crowns? No thanks! I would much save money by purchasing a Kroger Card, or better yet- wait for an actual Crown Sale. Longterm Players will lose money if they opt for Membership over permanently unlocking Areas- this is why KingsIsle caters their Members so much more.
      Enough beating around the bush- Until we see a classic Crown Sale or better, it is an inevitable fact that you will lose money trying to purchase Crowns. Why KingsIsle just doesn't give the Players what they want, is beyond me. But I do know that resigning ourselves to less than mediocre sales won't bring back our beloved Classic Crown Sales! If KingsIsle is going to be stubborn, then so shall we.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back."
      -Cosmos

Grumpy Cat is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredSpellFrost View Post
      @Oxnhorse

$60 for 8,000 Crowns? No thanks! I would much save money by purchasing a Kroger Card, or better yet- wait for an actual Crown Sale. Longterm Players will lose money if they opt for Membership over permanently unlocking Areas- this is why KingsIsle caters their Members so much more.
      Enough beating around the bush- Until we see a classic Crown Sale or better, it is an inevitable fact that you will lose money trying to purchase Crowns. Why KingsIsle just doesn't give the Players what they want, is beyond me. But I do know that resigning ourselves to less than mediocre sales won't bring back our beloved Classic Crown Sales! If KingsIsle is going to be stubborn, then so shall we.

That doesn't make sense though buying the physical gift cards is literally the most expensive way to buy crowns possible @ 500/dollar vs. 1-1.125k/dollar. You aren't getting any more or any less than the lower tier online packages, and even if you buy around $25 worth, the odds start to swing in the online favor again. The only times I buy gift cards are when I want a jewel, and even then, I only buy 1 card as cheap as possible to get whatever it is. So while their lack of sales is incredibly annoying, buying a gift card isn't getting you anything better. Your options are pretty much wait it out or get ripped off.

By buying a Kroger card, you're still paying even more than just coughing up $60 for 80k, which is why I typically will never buy crowns outside of the 60/60 and 50% bonus sales. Other than the most basic membership when the new world and test drop, I personally won't be buying any more crowns until a sale happens.

Yuna is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Yuna's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Destruction Incarnate
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Luci
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Demon

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post
      To the OP and everyone that is moaning how KI has ruined their crown spree;

W101 website starting today has a 6 Month/8,250 crown sale until the 24th.

Oxnhorse
      you do realize this current deal is worse than just buying gift cards for crowns right?

ki puts out annual memberships at $60 regularly. so following this rate, a 6 month membership should be half of that at $30. that means the 8,250 crowns is the remaining $30. that calculates out to 275 crowns per dollar. this is worse than even just outright buying a gift card for $20 and getting 10k crowns.

plus, the people wanting crowns most likely already have a membership or they don't want membership.

"Peace is but a shadow of death; desperate to forget its painful past. Though we hope for promising years,
      after shedding a thousand tears, yesterday's sorrow constantly nears."

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Lightbulb Re: R.I.P Classic Crown Sales

@Grumpy Cat

I know that the Crowns per dollar ratio for Giftcards is terrible, but the point I was trying to make is that I would rather purchase a Kroger Card over the current Membership/Crowns "Sale" that Oxnhorse brought up. Of course, I would much rather acquire my Crowns through a classic sale than a Giftcard, as that saves you even more money!

Regarding the value of giftcards... Kroger cards are somewhat of an exception, as their value is drastically increased by the jewels that they come with. But because I am still boycotting KingsIsle until they improve their marketing practices, I will be avoiding all purchases like the plague!

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back."
      -Cosmos

Oxnhorse is offline Adept Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yuna View Post

you do realize this current deal is worse than just buying gift cards for crowns right?

ki puts out annual memberships at $60 regularly. so following this rate, a 6 month membership should be half of that at $30. that means the 8,250 crowns is the remaining $30. that calculates out to 275 crowns per dollar. this is worse than even just outright buying a gift card for $20 and getting 10k crowns.

plus, the people wanting crowns most likely already have a membership or they don't want membership.
      Unlike most people, I have had bad experiences with Debit and Credit cards, so I don't use them.

So, in a case like mine, losing the option of buying a $20 gift card and redeeming the code for 2 months of membership or 10K crowns; is the only option I have, unless I want to grind the 10 question dailies for 100 crowns.

And if I would opt for the 2 month membership, I will ignore playing W101 until the day after my membership ended, so in my case taking the 10K crowns is the better option.

When I buy the cards, tax is not included, so when newer areas are added in, I can buy the zones and the game; so if friends need help, I can join in.

Since the lockdowns, I have been playing P101; doing the dailies (CVS has stopped carrying the cards), so I can advance in that game every 15 days.

Oxnhorse

P.S., Anyone that wants to burn their credit for crown sales, more power to you. Since you have a revolving debt looming over you at about a 16% interest rate; I don't and I'm on a fixed budget.

Spellbinder is offline Legendary Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post
      P.S., Anyone that wants to burn their credit for crown sales, more power to you. Since you have a revolving debt looming over you at about a 16% interest rate; I don't and I'm on a fixed budget.
      Why not pay it off monthly? That's what I do. Than I get the best price from KI possible and an extra buck or two back from the cash back card.

If you manage your cards halfway decently it's nothing but benefits.

Of course, if you are terrible with cards, don't do it for sure. Heck, skip wiz all together for awhile and invest in a money management class instead.
      Omg
      I think I love you more than paper tick
      -Katz to fishy cracker

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast