Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Developer Question on difficulty of Empyrea Solo questing

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lifetamer View Post
      Way too difficult. It might just be me, but even with my storm at 175 damage and max critical, it was horrible. I think it's not too bad if you can find a more balanced set with more resist and maybe less damage/critical, but some bosses were almost impossible for me to solo. Especially Tumbler.
      Tumbler is actually worse with more people because that offensive aura scales with more people. With a full team, it's a massive 400%. An Orthrus with a full team will do over 6,000 damage. And that's if he doesn't critical. At least with only one person, the aura is 100%, which is still painful, but not outrageous.

Phenoixblizzard is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Phenoixblizzard's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Amber DragonBlossom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fern
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mega Snow Beast

Mood:
      Creative

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I voted it as normal. As mentioned in my comment for the poll, as an ice wizard sometimes it was hard and other times it was easy. All I had to do was alter my spells and/or my strategy when I needed to. Sometimes I just swapped from a damage pet to a healing pet and that made a difference. If I really couldn't make it, I went to team up. However, I did ensure that I made quite a few attempts before teaming up to see just how close I could get to the end running solo (and for quest dialogue in case of speed runners).

Of course with the spell changes, I don't really know how well I'll be able to solo the harder worlds now on both my max ice and my lower level wizards when they catch up. Guess we'll find that out later
      Wizards vs Bosses

Allison DeathWielder is offline Archmage Wizard

• Allison DeathWielder's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  (I'm male irl) Allison | Roslyn | Emily | Bailey | Morgan | Calamity | Destiny
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

On most fights, most of my wizards had a "normal" time. I wouldn't call it too easy or too hard, but in regards to Empyrea part 2 especially, I'm happy with where the difficulty is in the non-cheating fights. For the cheating fights, the only one I could even remotely solo some of them on was my Death. They were very hard on my Death, and impossible for all of my other wizards.
      Last edited by Allison DeathWielder; 8-13-20 at 11:46:42 PM.

1 account, 7 Wizards. Over 10 years of adventure

Sig and pfp made with help from Ashley SandFlower

lethargy101 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Fine

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Given my Ice with 8k health and around 50% resist can take massive amounts of damage on just the mobs not even bosses says it all really. The difficulty level is way too hard for solo.

Are the developers who asked on Twitter reading feedback here? I don't do twitter so can't vote or comment there. @Sparck

Sparck is offline Wizard101 US Faculty
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by lethargy101 View Post
      Given my Ice with 8k health and around 50% resist can take massive amounts of damage on just the mobs not even bosses says it all really. The difficulty level is way too hard for solo.

Are the developers who asked on Twitter reading feedback here? I don't do twitter so can't vote or comment there. @Sparck
      We do! While we may not respond to everyone post, we do our best to review the daily updates here for community comments.

firemaniac221 is offline Master Wizard

• firemaniac221's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  David Earthshield (Fire, 130) | Fred Mythslinger (Myth, 130) | Kevin Stormsword (Storm, 130)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Luke (David) | Nikki (Fred) | Sir Max (Kevin)
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Phoenix (David) | Flying Squirrel (Fred) | Hero Pig (Kevin)

Mood:
      Lagging

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Don't have Twitter, but I would rate "normal." ...with exceptions.

Played through on Fire, Myth, and Storm in that order. It's been almost a year since the last of those, but from what I remember, nothing was overly complicated. Blade -> hit -> repeat, same as every other fight in this game. I play with larger decks in boss fights to make it more fun for myself, but straight hitting is always successful.

The only standout cases are Medulla and the Storm Titan. And a previous post reminded me of Hercules Poirot, a side quest boss that is honestly horrible - worse than Medulla, but not as bad as the Titan.

I personally don't think Medulla is hard, especially after all the HP nerfs. I actually like his gimmick and think he's one of the most creative cheating bosses in the game. I think Mind Meddling is cool, and I like how your allies help when you defeat them. The fight is honestly pretty good in it's current state. But that only goes for a team. I've never fought him solo, and don't plan to. I don't even know how I could. So much HP, so much damage, and it doesn't seem like soloing stops the Mind Meddling (according to Wiki).

Judgment: Great team fight. Awful solo fight.

I can't even begin to describe my hatred of the Storm Titan fight. Does he still have that insta-kill attack when he gets 5 shadow pips? Because that's the worst. Literally half of all attempts fail through no fault of the team's and I hate it. It's not fun, it's not creative. I think the devs went "Let's make the worst boss ever" and Stormy came out.

Judgment: This fight is awful. Full stop.

Special mention to Hercules Poirot for being awful. And I hate Dynt 1 (Sepidious), too. Dynt's fight is too heavily RNG and I feel as if it's 90% tails and 10% heads. The rematch in Nimbus is easier and more enjoyable, but still a pretty frustrating gimmick.

Notice a trend? Strategy = good (Mind Meddling allows players to choose harmless spells), RNG = bad (can't control when the Titan does his OHKO attack, good/bad heads).

Sorry if this comes off as harsh. Those are only my thoughts on those 2 fights specifically. As a whole, Empyrea was really enjoyable with a great blend of humor, cinematography, nice locales, and straightforward yet enjoyable combat.
      I'm a wizard.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  (I'm male irl) Allison | Roslyn | Emily | Bailey | Morgan | Calamity | Destiny
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by firemaniac221 View Post
      Don't have Twitter, but I would rate "normal." ...with exceptions.

Played through on Fire, Myth, and Storm in that order. It's been almost a year since the last of those, but from what I remember, nothing was overly complicated. Blade -> hit -> repeat, same as every other fight in this game. I play with larger decks in boss fights to make it more fun for myself, but straight hitting is always successful.

The only standout cases are Medulla and the Storm Titan. And a previous post reminded me of Hercules Poirot, a side quest boss that is honestly horrible - worse than Medulla, but not as bad as the Titan.

I personally don't think Medulla is hard, especially after all the HP nerfs. I actually like his gimmick and think he's one of the most creative cheating bosses in the game. I think Mind Meddling is cool, and I like how your allies help when you defeat them. The fight is honestly pretty good in it's current state. But that only goes for a team. I've never fought him solo, and don't plan to. I don't even know how I could. So much HP, so much damage, and it doesn't seem like soloing stops the Mind Meddling (according to Wiki).

Judgment: Great team fight. Awful solo fight.

I can't even begin to describe my hatred of the Storm Titan fight. Does he still have that insta-kill attack when he gets 5 shadow pips? Because that's the worst. Literally half of all attempts fail through no fault of the team's and I hate it. It's not fun, it's not creative. I think the devs went "Let's make the worst boss ever" and Stormy came out.

Judgment: This fight is awful. Full stop.

Special mention to Hercules Poirot for being awful. And I hate Dynt 1 (Sepidious), too. Dynt's fight is too heavily RNG and I feel as if it's 90% tails and 10% heads. The rematch in Nimbus is easier and more enjoyable, but still a pretty frustrating gimmick.

Notice a trend? Strategy = good (Mind Meddling allows players to choose harmless spells), RNG = bad (can't control when the Titan does his OHKO attack, good/bad heads).

Sorry if this comes off as harsh. Those are only my thoughts on those 2 fights specifically. As a whole, Empyrea was really enjoyable with a great blend of humor, cinematography, nice locales, and straightforward yet enjoyable combat.
      Agreed on the Storm Titan fight. It's only fun if you have a team specifically set up to JuJu spam and DoT the boss. I don't actually know if there even IS a counter for that ~9k damage swing, aside from having a jade tank or juju Death. Sometimes I feel like you need 2 Juju spammers because if RNG isn't on your side, one might not be enough to keep up if he also decides to use the laser eyes attack just before the swing, all during his untargetable state.

However, even Storm Titan isn't the worst. I'd give that award to Sir/Squire Greggor in Catacombs. I never want to do that fight again. Although, if we're speaking strictly for the main story, I'd probably concede Storm Titan.
      Last edited by Allison DeathWielder; 8-15-20 at 11:44:27 AM.

firemaniac221 is offline Master Wizard

• firemaniac221's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  David Earthshield (Fire, 130) | Fred Mythslinger (Myth, 130) | Kevin Stormsword (Storm, 130)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Luke (David) | Nikki (Fred) | Sir Max (Kevin)
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Phoenix (David) | Flying Squirrel (Fred) | Hero Pig (Kevin)

Mood:
      Lagging

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Allison DeathWielder View Post
      Agreed on the Storm Titan fight. It's only fun if you have a team specifically set up to JuJu spam and DoT the boss. I don't actually know if there even IS a counter for that ~9k damage swing, aside from having a jade tank or juju Death. Sometimes I feel like you need 2 Juju spammers because if RNG isn't on your side, one might not be enough to keep up if he also decides to use the laser eyes attack just before the swing, all during his untargetable state.
      This is precisely what I'm talking about! There is no way to avoid that damage - not even shields because it's shadow school damage. You know, the one with no readily available shield except on 1 piece of niche gear from 30 levels ago that's only -60% anyway. And he has like 25% pierce, too, so straight resist is out.
      However, even Storm Titan isn't the worst. I'd give that award to Sir/Squire Greggor in Catacombs. I never want to do that fight again. Although, if we're speaking strictly for the main story, I'd probably concede Storm Titan.
      Ooohhh, don't even get me started on the Catacombs... I still haven't completed that on my Storm because the last 3 bosses are brutal. Well, Satharilith (spelling?) wasn't too bad, but the Renegade Druid and Devourer are strong contenders with the Storm Titan. I don't really remember the Greggors (I mean, I remember THEM but not much of their fight), but I'm sure I just blocked it out.
      I'm a wizard.

Eric Stormbringer is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Eric Stormbringer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Stormbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Amorphous

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

This is precisely what I'm talking about! There is no way to avoid that damage - not even shields because it's shadow school damage. You know, the one with no readily available shield except on 1 piece of niche gear from 30 levels ago that's only -60% anyway. And he has like 25% pierce, too, so straight resist is out.

Ooohhh, don't even get me started on the Catacombs... I still haven't completed that on my Storm because the last 3 bosses are brutal. Well, Satharilith (spelling?) wasn't too bad, but the Renegade Druid and Devourer are strong contenders with the Storm Titan. I don't really remember the Greggors (I mean, I remember THEM but not much of their fight), but I'm sure I just blocked it out.
      I think this is where different player tastes come into account. For me I enjoyed figuring out how to solo Medulla:

And the Storm Titan(without juju-using towers as damage mitigation is viable)

I think bosses like these do have their place for players like me who enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to solo them. That place is definitely not in the main line and should be reserved for side content imo.

P.S- The Greggors stands as an example of the best blending of cheats and storylines in Wizard101. If you follow the Foetid Crypt(and larger Catacombs plot as a whole), you'll note how Greggor's cheats seamlessly compliment the tragedy of his story.
      Last edited by Eric Stormbringer; 8-15-20 at 4:26:21 PM.

Profile Picture by Touches of Alyssa
      Signature by Skyfuria

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Might have just had a good team, but I didn't actually find Druid or Devourer too bad (although my team for Druid was literally just 3 Deaths including myself, so I'm not sure that can be considered good), but Greggor is the most frustrating time I've ever had in the game, hands down. Took me around 4 attempts with completely different teams each time, and each attempt lasted over an hour in which we struggled even with all that pre-planning that happened with every team.

As @Eric Stormbringer mentioned, I can appreciate the story tie-ins to his cheats, but it's also true that it's hard to think about that when the fight itself is so infuriating and demoralizing that you just don't want to play the game anymore. I was trying to help my girlfriend with it recently, and on the last attempt we tried I nearly fled early because I was just so dissuaded from continuing to play that day as the fight wore on with very little progress. By comparison, everything else in the Catacombs was pretty run of the mill in my opinion. Nothing really stuck out to me as too difficult.

But anyway, I think fights like Greggor and Storm Titan are good examples of where to draw the line in main story content--that being a decent margin below those points. I do think that the last boss of a world should be more above the curve than other bosses generally would be, but sometimes these bosses come out and you feel like you can't beat them without a perfectly coordinated team that you found somewhere other than Team Up (the original fights with Rat, Medulla, and Titan all felt this way to me at the time of their release).

I don't think that you should be able to solo end world bosses as easily as the other bosses in a world, but I do think that they should all be reasonably possible with any given random Team Up queue.
      Last edited by Allison DeathWielder; 8-15-20 at 5:18:47 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast