•  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Balance Deckalathon!

For the Storm Deckathalon, I would suggest planting any and all Ultra Ninja Figs you have and wilt&revive them as much as possible. They drop the TC Oni No Jade, which is a 6-pip Myth hit for 800 damage. It's much stronger than Ninja Pigs, and is 45 less damage than Medusa for 2 less pips. (Ultra Ninja Figs also provide strong 6-pip hits for Balance, Death, and Storm, though the Storm one is just slightly better than Triton) You can also check the Bazaar for Otomo Fury, which is almost as good. These TC are missing 5 Accuracy, though, and I think this will become even more of an issue with enemies using Catalan against us. There will be times where you fizzle a shield because of Catalan and then you die. If you can get to Empyrea Part 2, farm various enemies there to try to get Fable Lord, as Myth does not have access to any powerful AoEs in TC form. I guess the strategy for defeating enemies will be to use Rat Illusionist/White Rat Magician into a Keeper of the Flame into a Myth Trap and other trap TC into an Oni no Jade. Or just stack traps into Oni no Jade, that works too.

It will be a Deckathalon where you will need to shield against everything. Everything will hurt. A bladed Kraken or Catalan could potentially one-shot you. 1v1s will be extremely manageable while 2v1s will be extremely luck-based. You will have to pray that they both don't attack in the same turn, or if they do, you were able to shield twice. Minions will die very quickly. Also, expect to take quite a bit of damage through your shields. It won't be as bad as the Balance event, but it will be more than the other events.
      Last edited by Torpzun26; 6-23-20 at 9:57:50 PM.

Caspeen is offline W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by unicorngirl View Post
      i'm sorry, i just have to disagree here. yes, some luck is always a factor when you are playing a game where you are drawing cards and rolling dice (the game does this, we don't see it but it works the same as dice), and there will always be some strategy and skill involved, this time around luck far out weighed everything else. i'm glad you listened to your friend about which deck to use in the middle range of stages, but when you have to guard in the late dungeons against balance and elemental damage, with no way to truly predict which is coming for you, and their mana burns keep you from being able to build pips, even with a great strategy it takes tons of luck to get through.
      I'm right there with you that it does require a lot of luck, but if you think it's MORE luck than skill then how do you explain the scores that Chris Stormshield and the top players got? According to the math that @sparkyflamefire posted, Chris Stormshield had to run 1-8 every single credit, every single day, AND THEN SOME! From what I've heard here and from friends (and from my 9 fails), level 7 was where things got really hard, and yet the top players managed this over and over and over. Were they lucky every credit, every day?

Regardless, whether it's 50% / 50%, or 48% / 52% or 55% / 45% luck to skill, I whole heartedly agree that it required too much luck for the average player.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorngirl View Post
      think about it, we are basically forced to use a strong minion and just play defense for our own character. it's pretty disheartening. we build a wall around ourselves and use a minion as a blunt object/ decoy to draw hits.
      I'm not sure why this is so disheartening. It might not something you enjoy but it's still a legitimate strategy, no? I do think it's unfortunate that lower level players, or players who don't have access to crowns (or grub guardian!) will have a difficult time getting a worthy minion, but I'm sure it's still possible.

Casp

Johnny is offline Prodigious

• Johnny's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Johnny
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Boomer
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Aqua Dragon

Mood:
      Arrg!

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

The highest I got was stage 5 lol. I applaud all who got so high!

I am just starting to get into these so I don't have the massive deck advantages yet, once I get some maybe I can get to the higher stages

sparkyflamefire is offline Journeyman Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      I'm not sure why this is so disheartening. It might not something you enjoy but it's still a legitimate strategy, no? I do think it's unfortunate that lower level players, or players who don't have access to crowns (or grub guardian!) will have a difficult time getting a worthy minion, but I'm sure it's still possible.

Casp
      I tend to agree with @unicorngirl on this one. I play, or at least I used to play, because I enjoyed the game. I don't mind a challenge, I don't want the MOBS to just roll over and play dead for me. But the deckathalons aren't just a challenge any more, they're a nightmare. It all started with the fight club in empyrea - KI bragged that it was their hardest fight ever. And they've only gotten harder.

For one thing, I don't have friends I play with all the time. I prefer to play solo. On those tough bosses where I can't (which seem to be every boss nowadays), I have to rely on random team ups. Sometimes I get lucky (there's that word again) and get a good team, but more often than not its a struggle. That's why, in some ways, I prefer the deckathalon to the beastmoon hunt - I don't have to rely on other players. Kiddies who are just out to have a good time and don't care whether they win or lose.

On the other hand, I actually enjoy playing the hunt more. Everybody starts out on an equal footing, and unless you get stuck on a bad team the odds aren't stacked against you.

I don't like the direction KI has gone with their "only the best of the best need apply" philosophy. I have a portrait of Selena Gomez in one of my castles, that's how long I've been playing. But if they keep on going the way they've been going, especially with the shoddy product they've been putting out lately (all the bugs in the spring update) I really don't know how much longer I'll keep playing. and what they're doing with the difficulty level in the deckathalons is hastening the end.

davidbattleblade is offline Journeyman Wizard

• davidbattleblade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  David Battleblade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Lucky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I managed to complete level 8 after only 9 attempts LOL! I only was able to craft the level 7 balance deck but ended up using my level 8 life deck for the extra cards. I made a few attempts at level 9 but LUCK was not on my side! I didn't have enough runes to craft the level 8 deck so I didn't even try on the last day and felt relieved after I stopped. A challenge is nice but this was basically totally dependent on the level deck you had and a whole lot of LUCK! I was amused at the number of times I went into the second battle with full health and ended up dead in 3 or 4 rounds! My favorite was the double hydra... the first took all my shields and the second just finished me off. So much fun...how did KI come up with such a fun game to play! I did complete the Ice, Fire and Life Deckathalon's and made it to level 10 on the Death and Myth ones but this was in a whole new league of nasty.

unicorngirl is offline Apprentice Wizard

• unicorngirl's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Deirdre Willowtail
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'm right there with you that it does require a lot of luck, but if you think it's MORE luck than skill then how do you explain the scores that Chris Stormshield and the top players got? According to the math that @sparkyflamefire posted, Chris Stormshield had to run 1-8 every single credit, every single day, AND THEN SOME! From what I've heard here and from friends (and from my 9 fails), level 7 was where things got really hard, and yet the top players managed this over and over and over. Were they lucky every credit, every day? Regardless, whether it's 50% / 50%, or 48% / 52% or 55% / 45% luck to skill, I whole heartedly agree that it required too much luck for the average player.
      now that's a great point - i have no idea how someone could do that, and i wonder if they had a different strategy to the rest of us? i passed my fire deck 9 around a little, and couldn't always get through stages 4 and 5 both on one credit, so i don't know how they did that. i would love to know the secret lol, but i would drive myself insane if i tried to do stages 1-8 3 times each day.
      I'm not sure why this is so disheartening. It might not something you enjoy but it's still a legitimate strategy, no? I do think it's unfortunate that lower level players, or players who don't have access to crowns (or grub guardian!) will have a difficult time getting a worthy minion, but I'm sure it's still possible. Casp
      again, good point. it is certainly a legitimate strategy. i just prefer to have more control, i learned about using minions here during the ice deckathalon, though i didn't try them until the death one, and i've leaned on them in the higher levels in every deckathalon since. but i usually am the one doing most of the damage, they help but it's more of drawing fire and giving me a few turns of breathing room, then i do the bigger hitting. i guess it was frustrating this time because i had to devote more of my deck to minions (to make sure i drew one when i had to), shields, and heals, and far fewer hits. i actually lost a stage because i discarded too many hits in the second fight, and the minion i had was water elemental and they just don't hit that often.
      Quote Originally Posted by sparkyflamefire View Post
      I tend to agree with @unicorngirl on this one. I play, or at least I used to play, because I enjoyed the game. I don't mind a challenge, I don't want the MOBS to just roll over and play dead for me. But the deckathalons aren't just a challenge any more, they're a nightmare. It all started with the fight club in empyrea - KI bragged that it was their hardest fight ever. And they've only gotten harder. For one thing, I don't have friends I play with all the time. I prefer to play solo. On those tough bosses where I can't (which seem to be every boss nowadays), I have to rely on random team ups. Sometimes I get lucky (there's that word again) and get a good team, but more often than not its a struggle. That's why, in some ways, I prefer the deckathalon to the beastmoon hunt - I don't have to rely on other players. Kiddies who are just out to have a good time and don't care whether they win or lose. On the other hand, I actually enjoy playing the hunt more. Everybody starts out on an equal footing, and unless you get stuck on a bad team the odds aren't stacked against you. I don't like the direction KI has gone with their "only the best of the best need apply" philosophy. I have a portrait of Selena Gomez in one of my castles, that's how long I've been playing. But if they keep on going the way they've been going, especially with the shoddy product they've been putting out lately (all the bugs in the spring update) I really don't know how much longer I'll keep playing. and what they're doing with the difficulty level in the deckathalons is hastening the end.
      omg, the beastie boys dungeon. tried that a few times hoping for the promised drops, and nothing lol. i agree completely, a challenge is great. near impossibility is just not fun. beastmoon is great, especially when you win :P or if you have a team that can handle losing when you lose. but sometimes it gets pretty rough in there. i know the next test realm is supposed to be coming up, and i just hope when stuff goes live it won't be so buggy this time. the frustrations are building, and i'm sure everything we're all dealing with in the real world adds to it, but i've loved this game for a while now. not as long as you @sparkyflamefire but a while now. and i would hate to get to a place where i walked away, but it struck a chord what someone else said a couple posts up. "I didn't have enough runes to craft the level 8 deck so I didn't even try on the last day and felt relieved after I stopped." on monday my router went out for a couple hours, and if it had been beast moon, or an earlier deckathalon, i would have been climbing the walls wanting to play, instead i called my brother (he helped me with it, i am not very tech savvy) and once working again, i went to sleep. i wasn't sorry i wasn't playing; i, too, was relieved. i made a little chart (because i'm silly like that) after wondering how much i would be interested in doing deckathalon in the future. i got 2 wiz through ice, 1 through death, 4 through fire, 1 through myth, 2 through life, and 1 through balance. i'd like to get the final badges on all my wizards, so the answer is, i still have plenty to do on this event if i choose to keep going after storm. so i hope they don't make it even harder when we enter the third round and get to ice again in august.

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I will chime in here. I have been doing the deck events, and I have always done decent in them. My average is around the top 25. I always go for the teacher first and then I will farm for the points.

However, I must say, this was just horrible! I got stuck on 7.2 where in one round I was defeated. This happened to me twice. Like so many others, I don't mind the challenge. I love to earn things, its rewarding once you complete something, but this was not based on skill as much as it was based on luck. Which it really should not be this way.

For myself this event was not enjoyable and for those who are new to the game, this would have just been a huge turn off. Which I really thought that these events were for everyone.

I would really love to hear from those who placed in the top 6 as well. What did they do to get those scores?
      Those are some impressive scores for such a hard event for most players and the jump in the scoring between theirs and others. It would really be nice to know what they did.

I really hope that KI listen to their players and tone this down for the next time. You don't want to discourage players after all
      Last edited by Bailey Jade; 6-24-20 at 9:03:39 PM. Reason: rewording and adding

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

sparkyflamefire is offline Journeyman Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Fight club - ran all my wizards through it exactly once. So that it wouldn't show up as an outstanding quest. First time I didn't bother grinding just to get all the badges (coming from someone who has the Undead Executioner badge on my main wizard, Illustrious Monstrologist on three different wizards and halfway there on a fourth, made level 15 fishing on my main wizard and level 20 gardener on all 12 wizards over two accounts). Got junk for drops. It still is an outstanding quest on my other account, the one that I quit playing after I got a taste of the catacombs on my regular account. I did finish Empyrea Pt II on that one, but didn't wasn't going to torture myself any more so that the game developers at KI could laugh at what they put us trained lab rats through and still have us come back for more. So I said "No Mas" on that account.

If the difficulty in the next world is anything like the catacombs, it'll be time to say "Adios" to wizard altogether. As I said earlier, I don't mind a challenge. But I play to have fun. And it just isn't fun any more. I finished the Ice tower WITHOUT USING ANY MINIONS. But now I couldn't finish stage 6 without them. Yes, it's a viable strategy. But one that I don't like using. I topped out at stage 6 on both the death and balance towers because I got tired of beating my head against a wall hoping to get lucky even with minions.

Why play if I don't enjoy playing any more? For a "Sense of Accomplishment"? It was more like a sense of relief that it was finally over when my sixth wizard finally beat the Devourer.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567