phantomslick7272 is online now Journeyman Wizard

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Balance Deckalathon!

Well I can hardly believe this happened! It took me 8 attempts to get through floor 10, and thank goodness for Pet Rescue the one talent I thought had made my pet fail.

This was a way to crazy way to hard Deckathalon. The elementals with us having no resist to them, the constant burns, the always fizzling because of mantle, not to mention 3 different weaknesses, them getting 2 blades plus piercing plus flat damage, and on 10 they cast massive Judgements and then heal themselves!

I'd like to say that I did this, it was my skill it was my intuition and strategic prowess, but no. . . It was 100% luck. And that kinda stinks, I'm happy I made it through but still would've been nice to think I had something to do with it

@Sparck I do hope that KI will consider toning it down for next time just a bit, I still want it to be challenging but geez, remove the elementals or at the very least give us some resist to them! They don't have to have every utility in the book it would be ok if they passed sometimes

That being said, I am very proud to be a Balance player lol Balance is fierce

Last edited by phantomslick7272; 6-22-20 at 10:56:45 PM.

unicorngirl is offline Apprentice Wizard

• unicorngirl's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Deirdre Willowtail
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

i have to admit i gave up on this event. i've loved deckathalon since it started, but this one was both too hard and just too boring. when i realized i couldn't make it through level 10, i decided to try to get as many runes as possible. after an hour of doing the same dungeons over and over, i didn't have 20 balance runes. i didn't get a pet on any of my 7 wizards, and i don't care. i think this round killed something in me, i'm not even sad about not getting the badge. i just. don't. care. and i seriously doubt KI would care that i don't care. this one went to crazy town, and i didn't even get mad, i just walked away from it.

deckathalon and beastmoon have become the only things i bother doing on the game. my ice is level 130 but hasn't finished empyrea, i have every other school through the entire main story line. at first i thought oh hey these are fun things to do when i'm not questing, but i'm starting to wonder if they made a big mistake with these. if maybe they will lose players over this. i always hated pvp, it's not my thing at all, but when hanging out at the arena waiting to do beastmoon i hear them talk. i think a lot of pvp folks don't do anything else in the game. they get to the level they want to be at for gear or whatever, and then they freeze there and do pvp. i feel like i'm doing that with beast moon and deckathalon.

these towers should be winnable by skill and strategy. and they sort of are, but you have to have really good luck, too, and that's not right. they made it so you can't make boosted tc using tc enhances, the argument being that would be too much of an advantage to higher level players who have access to higher level enhances. but you use jewels. those are varied by level, and go from being so small as to be almost useless to 125 additional health. 53 additional damage resist. 10% power pip chance, or 12% accuracy, or or or. there just isn't any real logic in it.

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

well, I finished my runs, but sadly only had 3 tries on floor 10, and didn't manage to go past 10.2.

This one definitely requires a very good Healing pet, and luck. It's the case of all deckathalon, but in other school's a bad draw, a sleeping pet or a mistake can be forgiven, here it's just over as soon as one thing doesn't go the way it should.

I won't say it isn't a fun thing, but I wouldn't put this level of hardiness on a "kid's game", even if the event is obviously oriented toward more mature people.

sparkyflamefire is online now Initiate Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I never got past 7.2. I got out of 7.1 with full health. I was using a level 8 Ice deck with a +53 resistance sapphire and a +113 Health opal. I had two volcanic shields (+75 fire and storm resistance) down, so I had elemental resistance covered as best I could.

They both hit me with a hydra on the same turn, I think one of them had blades.

I didn't even bother trying any more. I just farmed 1-5.1 and made sure I got the pet on all six wizards.

KestrelDawn is offline Adept Wizard

• KestrelDawn's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kestrel Dawnrider
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mister Penny
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Frankenbunny

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

So, I pretty much skipped this event. During the first couple of days I did a few runs, got recipes through floor 4 on most wizards on my 2 accounts. Didn't have fun finishing the 4th floor generally. Never made it through floor 5 (so close, one time). Kind of didn't feel like hitting head against wall repeatedly, so I just took the time off. Got a few runes and did other stuff with my life.

Maybe the next time this rolls around I'll have high enough decks from other events to be able to make a go at it. I think mostly I just didn't have the will this time around.

Event burnout... it's a thing.
      KestrelDawn -- Kestrel Dawnrider (Storm Level 110) Emeritus member of...

Join Pet Central here

Happy Fun Ball is offline Grandmaster Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The balance one was bad enough when it was just four floors, and I decided to skip this one entirely because ten floors of weakness, loremaster, mana burn, mantle and spectral blast and the irritation all that brings is something I didn't want to deal with this time around. I'm surprised they didn't use supernova on the highest floors.

sparkyflamefire is online now Initiate Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I wonder just how many dedicated deckathaletes there are. One of my wizards finished with exactly 450 points, and placed in the 380s om the leaderboard. So maybe around 400 wizards altogether got the pet (the 450 score filled that entire page), and I had 6 by myself. Maybe some of the newer players didn't have the runes to craft the better decks, but still... Just 400 wizards? Meaning maybe 200 players if every player averaged just 2 pets?

And then I look at the top of the leaderboard. 3197 points. If he ran stages 1 through 8 on every single credit every single day, he still wouldn't score that much (1+2+3+4+4+5+5+6)x4=120 per run x3 runs per day + 20 for tc = 380 points per day x 8 days = 3040. So on some runs he'd have to do stage 9 and maybe 10. (okay, maybe he didn't start at stage 1 every time. Maybe he ran 4-9 every time after the first one)

No, not for me. My goal was to get through stage 6 and craft a stage 6 for all my wizards. Great for farming 1-5.1 for runes. One wizard went for max points, got in the top 30 but left his last 4 credits unused because there was no way I could make the top 10. The other wizards rotated through to make sure everyone got the pet and then stopped. Some of them had 10 or more credits unused. I just didn't have the time or stamina to use every single credit on every single wizard. So if all you're doing is farming for runes, 3 credits per wizard per day is plenty. Trying to complete the tower is another story. Someone posted that it took him 8 tries to complete 10, and even then it was pure luck.

But now all my wizards have the pet, and they all have a stage 6 deck, and my main wizard got the Honoree badge. I'm not going to beat my head against the wall in the next balance deckathlon hoping that I get lucky. So, why would I want to play it? If anything, they'll make it HARDER since, after all, some people finished it. Even scored 3197 points. Summer Scroll of Fortune finished in just this one event.

Caspeen is online now W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by phantomslick7272 View Post
      I'd like to say that I did this, it was my skill it was my intuition and strategic prowess, but no. . . It was 100% luck. And that kinda stinks, I'm happy I made it through but still would've been nice to think I had something to do with it
      While I do agree that luck was probably a factor for you, you sell yourself short @phantomslick7272 to say that it was ALL luck.

As noted in earlier in this thread, I was torn between getting the Honoree badge and trying for Alhazred's badge because after 9 fails at 7.2 I didn't think both were possible. However, thanks in large part to posts here and advice from a very skilled deckathalete, I was able to defeat level 10 with my second to last credit at 3am this morning.

Although it's a bit late, figured I would share some insights I gained along the way so perhaps there can be takeaways for future deckathalons.

WHAT I LEARNED
      • Pets. Although the emphasis is on your DECK for the deckathalon, having a good pet is HUGE! My go to pet has been Steal Charm / Empowerment / 3 heals, but given all the Black Mantles thrown at us, my final fight I swapped out my trusty Louie and used a pet with Storm Front and Infallible. Storm Front was useless (worse than useless actually because the one and only time it changed the Balance Bubble was when I was about to hit with a Judgement!), but Infallible was amazing. Like all other auras it casts a TON, but having the +15% accuracy was key in powering through more than a few of the Black Mantles hanging over my head. It was hard to give up the extra pips from Empowerment but for THIS fight Infallible was game changing.

That said, I'll work on a better Infallible pet just in case - maybe Infallible and Steal Charm? Infallible and Ward Wreaker or Infallible and Steal Ward for Ice?
      • Jewels. I realize that not everyone is able to get a level 9th deck, but for those that did selecting the right jewel isn't as straight forward as one might think. I've always gone for the +10% power pip jewel, but given the need for accuracy to overcome the Black Mantles I was torn between +12% Balance accuracy (some hits and a few shields), +12% Storm accuracy (most of my hits), or 12% Ice accuracy (ensure I could put down a Tower or Frozen Armor). In the end, I went with a 6% Universal accuracy jewel to insure none of my regular spells would fizz without the Black Mantle and help power through the -45% when I did have it on me. Together with +15% from infallible I had +21% which was key to overcoming a lot of Fizzles that might otherwise happened.
      • Minions. I don't know how people do these events without minions! As in all other Deckathlons I used a ton of 3 pip minions for the middle levels (Mander and Water minion were key in this one), 5 pip minions towards the top (Krokopatra here, but also Jade Oni, Lord Nightshade, Meowarty, or Kol Shadowsong), and then Brandon when things got really tough. (For those that aren't familiar with Brandon's story, he's more than just a crazy useful minion. Check out the small blurb about Brandon and make-a-wish foundation). While he has saved me time and time again in other Deckathalons, he was a true hero here as his critical Frost Giant decided the 10.2 battle. Again, I realize that the Neberyx fight isn't an option for lower level wiz, but if you want a few of these TC and CANNOT get to this fight on your own, message me and I'd be happy to help! This event has depleted my Brandon reserves so I'll need to farm here anyway.
      • Having the RIGHT card. If there's anything I've learned from this event it's that I'm just not as creative as some of the more skilled players. I struggled mightily - 9 fails @ 7.2 - because I was trying to fit my strategy into the fight. Thanks to a few folks here who shared their deck I discovered Frozen Armor - a spell I had never even thought about and the single most important card for this event.

There were a few other more random cards in my deck that proved useful - was crazy lucky with beguile as it turned a Power Nova on the other one, Franklinstove allowed me to stack my elemental shields, and my Sirocco Djinni nerfed a Judgement - but hands down the biggest lifesavers after Frozen Armor were the Unbalance and Double Unbalance dispels. Of course, there were other cards I really wanted but didn't get - the one pip Unbalance for example, but never saw one show up in the bazaar. I also farmed the bazaar like mad looking for a Mana Burn TC as those would have been amazing, but found only one and of course that's on the wall at one of my homes, never to be used. Wish I would have known about that spell during the Death Deckathalon.

The last lesson I learned from this event is a life lesson that applies to more than just this game - listen to your friends! As I struggled with the 7th floor a friend pointed out I should've been using a Fire Deck to resist some of the Hydra damage instead of the Storm deck I was using for the damage bonus. How lucky I was to listen....

All in all I'm happy to be done with this event. I've been humbled in the past by my failures when others have succeeded and that certainly is the case here where I was reminded, once again, that I'm not in the same league as a lot of players here. To Chris Stormshield and the rest of the top players - amazing. I cannot even imagine what it would take to 3197 points.

Yet while the difficulty turned many away from this one, part of me understands it and why KI continues to amp these up. After all, if EVERYONE defeated level 10 the first time around then next time it comes out everyone would be wondering "when is KI going to come out with something new?". Instead, because so many weren't able to make it to the top, KI can continue to use this event for a while to come. Like I said, I understand this thinking but in my opinion KI runs the risk of completely turning players off if they make it too difficult. As has been pointed out, this really isn't very kid friendly and if KI cares about that demographic at all then they need to make things more attainable to more than just those with the deepest pockets and / or those who spend an unhealthy amount of time in game.

Now, about the STORM deckathalon...

Casp
      Last edited by Caspeen; 6-23-20 at 7:07:04 PM.

unicorngirl is offline Apprentice Wizard

• unicorngirl's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Deirdre Willowtail
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      While I do agree that luck was probably a factor for you, you sell yourself short @phantomslick7272 to say that it was ALL luck.

As noted in earlier in this thread, I was torn between getting the Honoree badge and trying for Alhazred's badge because after 9 fails at 7.2 I didn't think both were possible. However, thanks in large part to posts here and advice from a very skilled deckathalete, I was able to defeat level 10 with my second to last credit at 3am this morning.
      i'm sorry, i just have to disagree here. yes, some luck is always a factor when you are playing a game where you are drawing cards and rolling dice (the game does this, we don't see it but it works the same as dice), and there will always be some strategy and skill involved, this time around luck far out weighed everything else. i'm glad you listened to your friend about which deck to use in the middle range of stages, but when you have to guard in the late dungeons against balance and elemental damage, with no way to truly predict which is coming for you, and their mana burns keep you from being able to build pips, even with a great strategy it takes tons of luck to get through. think about it, we are basically forced to use a strong minion and just play defense for our own character. it's pretty disheartening. we build a wall around ourselves and use a minion as a blunt object/ decoy to draw hits.

i think plenty of people have stated before that they weren't getting to the end stages of the new deckathalons and were waiting until next time through, when they would have more runes and be better able to make more decks, so i don't think there was any danger of having everyone who likes deckathalon finish and have nothing to do next time. i feel pretty strongly that they messed up this one. and i felt like a jerk, because i had a conversation with someone last time about balance deckathalon, and they worried about everything that happened this time, and i said, basically, oh no, it'll be fine, they control what spells are available to anyone we fight, they would never make it impossible. difficult sure, but not next to impossible. boy was i wrong. it seems like everytime there is a deckathalon i have another friend tell me how much they hate it now, and that they are done. i, too, would like to know just how many people are actually playing this.

that being said, and all my earlier complaints aside, this morning at 10 am i decided what the heck and tried stage 10 again, and had a lucky run. and i don't think anyone could get through 9 or 10 without a lucky run. i'm not knocking anyone's strategy, i'm just saying usually these require that you not have an UNlucky run. this time through you had to have a very lucky one to have a chance.

Name:  Picture 2020-06-23 11-16-49.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  156.9 KB

Happy Fun Ball is offline Grandmaster Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      Now, about the STORM deckathalon...

Casp
      The storm one should be interesting. I think traps rather than blades will be the biggest focus here since you will be lucky if your blades last for more than a round. They won't have as much health and myth has quite a few strong attacks like ninja pigs, and a few like yellow troll or rat illusionist/white rat magician will certainly come in handy. Chimenea will be a bit harder to find, but those will prove most useful.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast