----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Deckathalon Pets

I started this thought in a thread about the Fire Deckathalon but figured I'd see what others out there thinking.

I know that for many the Ultimate Deckathalon pet would be a Quint heal pet - Spritely / Queen Sprite / Fairy Friend / Energizing Battery / Unicorn (or batusi but not a fan of that one at all) While incredibly useful in keeping you alive, the real genius of this pet is that all the talents are universal and can be used in ANY Deckathalon.

However, as important as it is to stay alive, efficiency is also important in a Deckathalon as you have a finite number of cards to use. As such, in my mind the ideal pet isn't just one that keeps you alive but also helps in defeating each level as fast as impossible. Which is why my ideal pet would be Quad damage plus something else...but exactly what?

Due to the fact that each school has it's own unique strength, the "something else" wouldn't be something universal. Ward wrecker or Steal Ward would be awesome against Ice's shields but useless in the Fire Deckathalon given that they never cast a single shield.

Therefore, my Ultimate Deckathalon Pet is more of Ultimate Pets than just one single one.

What would folks suggest?

Here's what I'm thinking...

First, there are a few May Cast abilities that are universal and could also work along with heals - specifically Guardian Walls or Fortify, for example. For sure handy, but like a heal, they don't actually help you be more efficient - they just keep you alive a bit more. What I am looking for is something to help offensively, more like this -

ICE: Quad heal plus Ward Wrecker or Steal Ward
      DEATH: Quad heal plus ?
      FIRE: Quad heal plus DOT Damage. More defensive for sure but Fire has a TON of DOT spells
      MYTH: Quad heal plus ?
      BALANCE: Quad heal plus ?
      STORM: Quad heal plus Steal Charm. More of a defensive spell but I always use SOME Storm spells, regardless of the deckathalon. So this one would be defensive AND offensive.
      LIFE: Quad heal plus Snow Heal For You. Also defensive but since you would be preventing them from healing it counts because it helps defeat them faster.

I should've said that my ULTIMATE school specific pet would be a Quad Heal plus the school specific DISPEL ability. However, I'm not even sure how active those abilities are - would be curious if anyone has any experience with pets using these. Given how valuable Quench was vs heckhound and backdraft was in the Fire Decakthalon I can only imagine how awesome a Quad heal plus Quench pet COULD be so long as it casts more frequently than, say, May Cast Pigsie.

Love to hear what others think. As Myth might be next I'm especially interested in what people think would be handy to add.

Thanks,

Casp

Caspeen is online now W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Deckathalon Pets

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Caspeen View Post
      I should've said that my ULTIMATE school specific pet would be a Quad Heal plus the school specific DISPEL ability. However, I'm not even sure how active those abilities are - would be curious if anyone has any experience with pets using these. Given how valuable Quench was vs heckhound and backdraft was in the Fire Decakthalon I can only imagine how awesome a Quad heal plus Quench pet COULD be so long as it casts more frequently than, say, May Cast Pigsie.
      Ha - replying to my own post...

Got to thinking about this some and another really handy May Cast would be any of the school specific bubbles! Bubbles can be changed but they cannot be stolen which is the downfall of something like May Cast Dragonblade. PLUS, with the minion-penalty - where a bubble is put up anytime you pass three times - this ability could be the ideal counter!

Would be really interested to know how active these may cast are...

Casp

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

two of my pets actually use locust swarm.

It's not a big damager, nor it casts very often, but once in a while it did prove useful against those enemies remaining alive with a handful of HP. Also it has the advantage to be triggered whenever you target a single opponent, so a trap or a weakness can trigger it, and you can adjust your next damage accordingly.

Another pet cast tower shields, and they also help to reduce the number of heals in deck, hence keep more room for attacks. This one is fickle, i had it sometimes two-three times per run, and other times never all the way up.

I have one that stuns, the good thing about deckathalon being that all enemies can be stunned. It saves one round, and again, it may stop a hit in its track. The bad side is how poor the cast rate is, less than one per day on average..

If your strategy involves using a lot of minions, batusi, unicorn and legion shield are something to be considered. It only happened once during the whole event, but one of my healers with unicorn revived a minon that had just been killed by a DOT (dot damage can trigger any heal). And you know, when you don't have to resummon it, it's not that bad a trade, even if the cast rate is rather low.

Rather than bubbles, i think that auras would be more interesting. Maybe not critical auras - i only saw 2 critical hits during the last event, and both were blocked - but amplify, fortify, or, for myth, convinction, could well be useful. as long as you don't have auras in your deck. Fortify, for instance, is quite a low def, but it has one huge advantage: when you have it on, your shields aren't impacted by the enemy piercing abilities. And just for that, for the last three floors, i think it's worth the slot.

another maycast that i got by chance on my pets was spirit shield: although totally useless during elemental events, i saw it cast quite a lot (at least once per run!) so I believe this and elemental shield are interesting maycast to consider.

I had some blades cast, and sometimes they protected the one i had just put up. Losing a + 25% to keep a +45% is a good trade, imho. And elemental or spirit blade have the advantage to cast 3 blades. against life or myth, if stolen, they may become useless, but for the 4 other schools, the last one cast (death or storm) will protect the first two, and so you are almost sure to keep them for your next hit.

All in all, i never count on pet's maycasts to advance, but consider that if they do cast, i will be able to go one or two areas higher than expected without.

JaredSpellFrost is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Raincore

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Don't forget about the Kroger Jewels! I will be using my Maycast Brace Jewel on my Deckathalon Pet once it is finished.

"Yet like a bad case of athlete's foot you just kept coming back."
      -Cosmos

Paige Deathsong is offline Initiate Wizard

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I'd be curious to see what people respond to this thread. For me personally, I feel very happy with the pet I *finally* just finished during the fire deckathalon, which is 100% defensive. I don't see myself trying to make a more offensive type, although this thread may give ideas if I change my mind! I still kind of feel like defensive is the way to go, since it seems like this event has turned into a struggle to stay alive, and heals & fortify cast sooooo often. From my experience (in the ice deckathalon, especially) my pet rarely ever used shatter or the one that removes blade (enfeeble? idk I can't remember the name). I ended up making a healing pet in the middle of that event because it was so nottt worth it, lol. Being able to carry less heals leaves a ton of room for extra traps, hits, etc, so to me, that's where the offensive trade off comes in. I noticed that defender's rampart casts a TON, I would not have been upset if my pet had that talent instead of energizing battery tbh... even though that's also defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>richardDkht View Post
      two of my pets actually use locust swarm.
      It's not a big damager, nor it casts very often, but once in a while it did prove useful against those enemies remaining alive with a handful of HP. Also it has the advantage to be triggered whenever you target a single opponent, so a trap or a weakness can trigger it, and you can adjust your next damage accordingly.
      This is something that I actually have thought about trying! It may be my next pet attempt. Seems to be pretty handy to me.

This is my pet I use on my main - obviously I can't move it around between wizards, so I don't use it for my ones farming for runes. Name:  pet.png
Views: 562
Size:  188.1 KB
      Paige Deathsong Taryn Stormheart Alicia Dreamblossom Rylee Shadow Olivia Summerheart Autumn Moon

richardDkht is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Paige Deathsong View Post

This is my pet I use on my main - obviously I can't move it around between wizards, so I don't use it for my ones farming for runes. Name:  pet.png
Views: 562
Size:  188.1 KB
      Interesting jewel. Where did it come from? a pack, a bundle or some W101 boss?

davidbattleblade is offline Journeyman Wizard

• davidbattleblade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  David Battleblade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Lucky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I think for most people the quad heal pet with fortify is the way to go if you just want a good pet you can use on every deckathalon.
      I have tried a few other combinations like adding may cast plague or enfeeble but they seem to rarely cast if at all. I had high hopes for the may cast plague pet I just completed but had to switch after several runs because it just never cast. I agree that the legion shield may cast does seem to activate often enough to make it useful.

KestrelDawn is offline Adept Wizard

• KestrelDawn's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kestrel Dawnrider
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mister Penny
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Frankenbunny

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Just so you know that jewel actually comes with this Spring Scroll of Fortune if you are willing to pay the crowns.
      KestrelDawn -- Kestrel Dawnrider (Storm Level 110) Emeritus member of...

Join Pet Central here

Paige Deathsong is offline Initiate Wizard

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KestrelDawn View Post
      Just so you know that jewel actually comes with this Spring Scroll of Fortune if you are willing to pay the crowns.
      Yes, it's from the current scroll if you unlock it with crowns.
      Paige Deathsong Taryn Stormheart Alicia Dreamblossom Rylee Shadow Olivia Summerheart Autumn Moon

Caspeen is online now W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Heard from a friend that the May Cast Dispels cast very rarely - can anyone confirm? So much for that brilliant idea!

How about the May Cast bubbles? Anyone have experience with those and know their frequency of casting?

When I started making Deckathalon specific pets cast frequency was huge and why I loved talents like Fortify or Guardian Wall. However, both of those fell out of favor for me when I realized that such talents were useless at lower levels - even without Fortify I was immune to most damage until 4th or 5th floor - or else unhelpful at higher levels when their pierce gets to be insane. So, cast frequency is important, yes, but just because something casts a lot it doesn't make it better than something that casts less often.

What I really don't want are ones that cast so rarely that they are as good as useless. My main pet has Pet Rescue which May Cast Revitalize but that ones is as good as adding Pain Giver since it has never, ever cast. Not even ONCE!

So, anyone know if the May Cast bubbles like Mighty Myth, or Storm Front, Pyromania, etc, cast often, sometimes, or rarely?

Casp

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast