Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Ice Deckathalon, Jan 21-Jan 28

Quote Originally Posted by Torpzun26 View Post
      I'm also liking the limited credit thing a lot more than I thought I would, and I agree wholeheartedly with this. The limited credit system changes this event from a grindfest to something more exciting, like decathlons kinda are. Keeping the current system for floors 5-10 while letting floors 1-4 be farmable would let us keep the same atmosphere that the Deckathalon currently provides while also allowing for people to farm for runes.

People who are just now starting Deckathalons are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to Deck crafting because they don't have any leftover runes. Having to craft each deck once or twice every time you upgrade adds up very quickly, and I've already burned through 200+ Fire Runes on decks alone just getting to the Tier 7 deck. There's no way someone new to this would be able to do that. Plus, they can't get the Life Runes to craft Triage, which is a very useful spell here because of spells like Frostbite.
      Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      Very much agree that it must be crazy hard for people just doing this event the first time because it would be almost impossible to get enough runes with a cap on credits but...isn't that pretty much the case for anything if you "start late"? I mean, someone starting out now would have a much harder time getting Elucidate TC, for example, or starting PvP for the first time. Maybe not completely analagous, but I think big picture the way this Deckathalon works is better "overall". I know that there are some that aren't fans, and I understand their reasons, but the game cannot be everything to everybody and the change from grinding and grinding to more strategy and patience is a HUGE improvement.

Learned a very hard lesson today in fact. Was running out of cards but still had a few Efreets and one Helephant. Chose the Helephant and burned my Power Pips. Had the enemy down to one more hit and my last 4 cards were Efreets but...didn't get another power pip! With my pips full of noob pips I didn't have enough to hit so had to flee. Fail.

Not to say this wouldn't happen if I were grinding on a low level...wait, I am saying that! Making the most out of what you've been given takes strategy and forces you to think and be clever and that is always way better than mindless repetition. Might not get what you want as fast as you want it but again, it places a premium on patience and thinking which are valuable skills to learn and use.

Casp
      Just quoting you both to make things simple. We have an advantage as well being that we have done the event in the past and most likely, we all have spent hours grinding towards whatever we were going for in the other deck events, so those who have done the events in the past have the ruin stones and decks for this new improved event.

However there are those who are just starting and please don't get me wrong, at first I did not like the limited credit thing, but over time, I realized I do like it. I spend most of my day now preparing for those last two battles I need, checking my notes and making sure I have everything I need for my final battles....YAY!

For those who are just starting out and wanting to improve, they will not have the option to get those stones like we did. This is why I had proposed an idea that will compromise the situation a little The more I thought about it, just allowing floor 1-4 to be open only once you complete it, should be more then enough us to get our stones. As mention before, it will only help us towards the pet goal and to get the stones. It will not go towards the leaderboard part of it. I do believe there are two types of players here, ones that like to collect pets and or badges and those who like the challenge of being on top. This will allow both types to achieve in what they want without the unhealthy hours of farming to be on top.

By the way congrats on your completion @Caspeen I think it wonderful you got it done.

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

Torpzun26 is online now Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Caspeen View Post
      Very much agree that it must be crazy hard for people just doing this event the first time because it would be almost impossible to get enough runes with a cap on credits but...isn't that pretty much the case for anything if you "start late"? I mean, someone starting out now would have a much harder time getting Elucidate TC, for example, or starting PvP for the first time. Maybe not completely analagous, but I think big picture the way this Deckathalon works is better "overall". I know that there are some that aren't fans, and I understand their reasons, but the game cannot be everything to everybody and the change from grinding and grinding to more strategy and patience is a HUGE improvement.

Learned a very hard lesson today in fact. Was running out of cards but still had a few Efreets and one Helephant. Chose the Helephant and burned my Power Pips. Had the enemy down to one more hit and my last 4 cards were Efreets but...didn't get another power pip! With my pips full of noob pips I didn't have enough to hit so had to flee. Fail.

Not to say this wouldn't happen if I were grinding on a low level...wait, I am saying that! Making the most out of what you've been given takes strategy and forces you to think and be clever and that is always way better than mindless repetition. Might not get what you want as fast as you want it but again, it places a premium on patience and thinking which are valuable skills to learn and use.

Casp

There isn't a way for KI to put everyone on an equal playing field, for sure. There's a lot of TC that aren't easy to get whether it's because they're from packs (Marvelous Minion TC), require farming to get (Sinbad, Brandon TC), or because they just disappeared from the Bazaar (Heck Hound, Rain of Fire), and that's something that you can't really fix short of giving Harold Argleston every TC ever made. So I guess that's more for that last sentence I put in. And that doesn't even scratch how high-level wizards can use better jewels than lower level ones. My main point is that it will be nearly impossible for people new to this event to craft a deck good enough to get them through the final stage of the event. You should be able to at least finish the event. I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be to defeat Lydia with, say, the tier 5 or 6 deck though.

KestrelDawn is online now Adept Wizard

• KestrelDawn's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kestrel Dawnrider
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mister Penny
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Frankenbunny

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Torpzun26 View Post
      I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be to defeat Lydia with, say, the tier 5 or 6 deck though.

I sure know that I haven't gotten past Stage 8 Floor 3 with the Level 5 deck!

That said, I'm not going to turn back to attempting the top levels until after I get the pet. I'm at 347 now on one wizard and I've been using my last couple of days doing stages 3-5. I often die in the midst of stage 5 - floor 3 but that at least gets me about 39 pts per credit without using truly extravagant TC's (Fire Minions bought from Copperleaf are my splurge and I use 1-3 per credit). Anyway, one more day of farming for points and runes and then I'll turn my attention to attempting to finish Stage 8 with more precious TC's.

I'm I think a decent player, but by no means a stellar strategist. (See my mediocre PVP record!) For previous deckathalons I've had a strategy that allowed me to use the same cards to run Stage 4 over and over and over again in precisely the same way. That doesn't seem possible here and I appreciate that I have to think on my feet and I have developed a lot more deck management skills. This event requires more than just time on task, it requires thought and I appreciate that!
      Last edited by KestrelDawn; 1-25-20 at 6:59:18 PM.
      KestrelDawn -- Kestrel Dawnrider (Storm Level 110) Emeritus member of...

Join Pet Central here

Torpzun26 is online now Journeyman Wizard

• Torpzun26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cole Duskhaven
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Stage 8's recipes are as follows:

Lydia's Frozen Shelf: 50 Ice, 15 Enhanced Ice, 2 Superior Ice
      Meteor Strike: 1 Firegut, 2 Fire, 1 Enhanced Fire
      Stun Block: 3 Ice, 1 Enhanced Ice

While the furniture recipes are interesting, they've arrived at a point where I don't really know why you would want to acquire them this way rather than just purchasing an Ice Furniture Pack for gold. I'd really rather save my Superior Ice Runes for something that would offer me a gameplay advantage.

Meteor Strike would have been a nice recipe on stage 1. By stage 3, enemies use too many Tower Shields for a non-Dot AoE to be very useful. Plus, for a card you can buy from Harold, the recipe would need to be quite cheap to be worth it. Maybe 1-3 Fire Runes in addition to putting it on stage 1?

Ditto for Stun Block. Can just buy them from Harold easily.

Edit: Stage 9!

Essence of Fire III (5% Fire Accuracy, 10% Fire Damage, 1 pip, for 45 minutes): 30 Fire, 2 Enhanced Fire, 2 Superior Fire
      Fire Wyvern (3 pips, 270-320 Fire damage and steal a charm): 1 Meteor, 2 Fire, 1 Enhanced Fire
      Firespear: 1 Fireblade, 2 Fire, 1 Enhanced Fire

Essence of Fire III is really interesting. It gives a pip! The Superior Fire Rune cost hurts though, but I don't think I saw an elixir that gives a pip before.
      Fire Wyvern is newish and interesting. Good thing we can buy Meteors very easily. This recipe seems good.
      Firespear... what are you doing? I don't know why I would want to turn a Fireblade into a Firespear.
      Last edited by Torpzun26; 1-26-20 at 1:25:37 AM. Reason: Reworded a little bit.

RookieRecurve is offline Master Wizard

• RookieRecurve's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Ian Lionstalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Many

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phantomslick7272 View Post
      Hi Hi I am actually loving this event I don't have any issues with anything they set up. The 3 credits a day was fine with me, planning and using those credits wisely is key there (although if they did allow you to enter without the point system present for farming and practice purposes only I guess that would be ok) Thing is it takes the mystery and accomplishment from it. And honestly If you really want to do that you can save one of your wizard's for the ladder climb, and use all your other ones for practice. 6 wizards times 3 credits per day is actually 18 credits per day. (Let's not forget that any level above 10 can do this)

As for the pet I believe that was put in a fair position as well (it is supposed to be a challenge ) Think about it, you do not have to get to the top of the tower to gain the pet. . . In fact you only have to beat Stage 3.

3 credits x 6 (oh wait, 8 days as both Tuesdays count) is 24 credits (for one wizard)

If you do stage 1-3 with 1 credit you get a total of 24 points, now multiply that by 3 credits =72 points and you can and 20 per day for using tc's, total 92 points

so for the pet you need exactly 15 credits and 5 days (460 points) you still have 9 credits and (technically 3 days left) YAY! I believe that's a fair challenge. Very possible

Even if you want to try and do the whole tower with your credits but are worried about messing of your points for the pet, do one though three on one wizard and try the tower on another Practice on all the others

Lol certainly enough to do in a day

For those looking to get an edge in the deckathalon, I've said it before and I'll say it again you can not prepare too much for these things.

Garden and farm the treasure cards. Work on the the quint may cast pet. And while the deckathalon is going on use any extra credits to farm for runes. I never thought I would say this but I'm glad I went a little crazy with it last time due to the oodles of runes I got as a result, though I would never play it that way again.

But again this isn't supposed to be a challenge that is not necessarily achieved the first go around. It's supposed to be a huge challenge with short and long term goals and a learning curve.

They make it too easy and then it becomes, boom done, no sense of accomplishment, and boring.

I actually believe they achieved a good sense of Balance here. As the decks make game play easier but you have to play to get the decks. And the limits make it fair for everyone.

I love it. Just as it is. Thank you @Sparck and KI I have and continue to thoroughly enjoy this challenge and look forward to the next one

I couldn't agree more with this post. It is supposed to be a challenge. It shouldn't be 'obtainable' without some planning and preparation. It can be fun for all levels, but it also shouldn't be so easy that there is little sense of accomplishment at the end of it. This is my first Deckathalon, and it has been a lot of learning, and refining of my strategy. I do not have the ideal pets for this, and as such, I am now working on some that will help me with the future events. I am also planning ahead on my treasure cards, and planting gardens to make up for any deficiencies. This level of prep isn't for everyone, and nor should it be. I found that it takes me about 15 minutes (with a level 3 deck) to make it to 4-1 before I run out of cards. If I was to run all 6 of my wizards through the 3 runs each, that is 4 and a half hours a day! I might be able to do it faster as I refine my strategy, pet, and card collection, but it still is a big commitment of time to grind out runes. I am thankful that it is limited to 3 runs a day. Also, collecting Storm, Ice, and Balance runes will make those events a lot easier when they come around.

krysaltepsyr is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Okay. So Deckathlon is an event that even from the first go around, I didn't like. At first I didn't like it because it gave an edge to people who had a membership/money to spend because they could keep buying credits.
      That's been fixed. But now there is the issue of "You have 21 credits. 21 runs. That's it." And I'm trying to get past stage 4 and... I just can't do it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I haven't been able to get the level 4 deck yet, and I've decided to just try and do that instead, but no matter what strategy I try. I just can't do it.
      So I'm stuck running stages 1 thru 3 just hoping that maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to get that pet.
      I won't. I know I won't. But I'll keep trying, I guess. It's just frustrating.

Lightdragon is offline Legendary Wizard

• Lightdragon's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Liam RavenShade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  too many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  artic fox

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Jade View Post
      However there are those who are just starting and please don't get me wrong, at first I did not like the limited credit thing, but over time, I realized I do like it. I spend most of my day now preparing for those last two battles I need, checking my notes and making sure I have everything I need for my final battles....YAY!
      still do not like it.
      Do NOT meddle in the affairs of Dragons. for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

phantomslick7272 is offline Journeyman Wizard

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by krysaltepsyr View Post
      Okay. So Deckathlon is an event that even from the first go around, I didn't like. At first I didn't like it because it gave an edge to people who had a membership/money to spend because they could keep buying credits.
      That's been fixed. But now there is the issue of "You have 21 credits. 21 runs. That's it." And I'm trying to get past stage 4 and... I just can't do it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I haven't been able to get the level 4 deck yet, and I've decided to just try and do that instead, but no matter what strategy I try. I just can't do it.
      So I'm stuck running stages 1 thru 3 just hoping that maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to get that pet.
      I won't. I know I won't. But I'll keep trying, I guess. It's just frustrating.
      If you’re using all 3 credits every day and doing Stages 1-3, you will get the pet in 5 days
      Last edited by phantomslick7272; 1-26-20 at 5:24:53 AM.

davidbattleblade is offline Journeyman Wizard

• davidbattleblade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  David Battleblade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Lucky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

There is going to be a rune problem for pretty much everyone in the upcoming deckathalon's. It seems for even the players that played the most are having trouble getting enough runes to craft the decks. I know I used up all my fire, ice and storm runes in this event and could only make a level 6 deck. (close to 7 but ran out!) I think KI needs to change the way the decks are crafted so we don't need so many runes because I can see what's coming...when we run out of runes and no way to collect them with limited credits we will stop advancing, when that happens most will stop playing I imagine. I think what needs to happen is when you craft the next level deck you only need the previous level deck plus a few runes to make it. The way it is now each level you advance is that much more difficult to craft the deck. If you complete the level you should be able to make that level deck without so much grinding involved. Please have them look at this @Sparck. I enjoy this event and would like to continue to play but it looks like without any changes that wont be the case. No one is going to be able to do the higher levels if they can't craft more than a level 3 or 4 deck. I barely had enough cards to finish level 10 with my level 6 deck. I had 2 cards left and had used all my hit cards and that was starting with a full deck on level 10.
      Last edited by davidbattleblade; 1-26-20 at 9:45:10 AM.

sparkyflamefire is offline Initiate Wizard

• sparkyflamefire's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Leo
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I managed to complete the Deckathalon last night. Some observations:

I only managed to craft a level 8 deck because I transmuted hundreds of ice runes to fire runes. And I've competed in every deckathalon event ever. How do you expect newer players to do it? By the way, the level 8 deck gives you 1 regular and 1 power pip.

I did get a grand total of 2 strengthening runes, for completing stages 6 and 8. They need to increase the drop rate if they expect people to upgrade their hands of fate. I mean, how can I get the drop for stage 6 and not for stages 9 or 10? I don't think they actually expect people to actually craft the ultimate HOF, its just a pie in the sky that is supposedly possible but no one is ever going to be able to actually do. It's just a hook to keep people coming back. (Same with all the beastmoon hunt golden idols. It will take years to collect them all) And even if they did, is it worth it? All it would do is add a spell or two to your deck. With no ability bonuses.

Where are all the badges that are supposed to be available in the event? I got two: for defeating Greyrose, and for collecting the pet reward. My badge list has two empty spaces between those two and two more spaces before it gets to the first storm badge, and not even a badge discovered.

What's the point in even playing any more? No more rewards to get (I've already have all the scroll of fortune rewards available without spending 15000 crowns to unlock the scroll, mostly for items I'm not really interested in). I might pick up a few more runes, but not all that many with only being able to do three runs a day.

One of the rewards I did get was magical clay. I have not been able to discover what it can be used for, other than transmuting to other forms of clay like magnificent clay.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast