HopeWorld is offline Apprentice Wizard

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

To the adults and parents of wizard101 players

This might come off as a strange topic to you so buckle down and let's get started.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing then by all means, don't worry .

I've been meaning to ask all the parents of children on the game a question that has been on my mind for a while. How did your child(ren) talk to you about the game? How did they get you into it? What was your first reaction? What made you wanted to try the game with your kids, i.e. family time? Were you not surprised and against them playing?? If you were against them playing the game, did you set some kind of restriction like play only for an hour after you're done with hw, etc?

I'm only asking because for the longest time, I've been wanting to tell my family to play the game with me. My mother is very against gaming in general and hates it whenever I stay up late doing god's know what according to her. All these time, I've been playing wiz and since I moved away to dorm in a university, I haven't been able to enjoy some family time aside from face timing and so on. I want to tell my mother but I'm afraid of her response and I want to know what your kids did to persuade you and talk to you in a way that makes you have an open mind before you begin to judge the game or anything of sort. I understand if I have walked into a dangerous area of privacy so please feel free to not respond.

Fluxx is offline Magus Wizard

• Fluxx's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kane/Talon/Nicholas/Ronan/Daniel
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Boomer
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ghulture

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: To the adults and parents of wizard101 players

I am a "wizened" wizard, meaning old(over 50). Wizard101 came to be during a "recovery" time after a slew of 8 movies by Harry Potter. I read and watched all of the movies with my 2 kids(Prefer the books). After the movies ended, people still loved the story and these ads started showing up. My son looked at me, I said, why not? I joined 11 days after the debut. We played together on 2 different accounts till he got into middle school(when it was not cool- and he found Minecraft). Well the wife knows I have a passion for dragons and knew "boys will be boys" and did not mind unless I lost sleep over it.

Bottom line it gave us some escape and a time to connect with each other. We are better for it today.

Fluxx

My kind of crazy

Lady Cat is offline Prodigious

• Lady Cat's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Stephanie Shadowstalker ,Stephanie Legendweaver ,Stephanie Spiritsinger,Stephen Dragondreamer and 6
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Luna
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Black Cat

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

My eldest daughter saw the game Toontown at a friend's house and asked if we could get it .We played together for many years until the game got really buggy . From another parent I heard of Wizard101 while it was in Beta . We joined the day the game went live .
      Lasy cat says meow
      <a href=http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/images/signaturepics/sigpic506_7.gif target=_blank>http://www.wizard101central.com/foru...igpic506_7.gif</a>

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I would always watched what my kids play, specially at the younger age. They had showed me the game wizards101 and explained to me how to play. I remember while walking through unicorn way, my son saying, "Stay on the sidewalks!" After viewing it for a little bit, I ok'ed the game. It was not till a month or two later that I had stared to play, because my son wanted me to play along with him.

Sadly, he no longer plays, but I am still here.

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

Chris Spiritcaster is offline Master Wizard

• Chris Spiritcaster's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Chris Spiritcaster/D/114;Shadowcaller/I/120;Firebringer/F/127;Firesword/S/126;Battlehamer/M/126
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I am an older parent and older player (closer to 60 than 50). My daughter saw a commercial for W101 on TV and thought that it looked interesting. She was 10 and my son was 7 when they created their accounts. We always provided them with information about playing games and safety as we were both security professionals in the defense industry. They both started playing June 6, 2010. They asked me to join and I started June 17, 2010. We had a lot of fun and my son & I were nervous fighting Malistaire for the first time. Unfortunately, they have greatly reduced their playing time but I am still actively playing.
      Last edited by Chris Spiritcaster; 10-28-19 at 8:23:10 PM.

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by HopeWorld View Post
      This might come off as a strange topic to you so buckle down and let's get started.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing then by all means, don't worry .

I've been meaning to ask all the parents of children on the game a question that has been on my mind for a while. How did your child(ren) talk to you about the game? How did they get you into it? What was your first reaction? What made you wanted to try the game with your kids, i.e. family time? Were you not surprised and against them playing?? If you were against them playing the game, did you set some kind of restriction like play only for an hour after you're done with hw, etc?

I'm only asking because for the longest time, I've been wanting to tell my family to play the game with me. My mother is very against gaming in general and hates it whenever I stay up late doing god's know what according to her. All these time, I've been playing wiz and since I moved away to dorm in a university, I haven't been able to enjoy some family time aside from face timing and so on. I want to tell my mother but I'm afraid of her response and I want to know what your kids did to persuade you and talk to you in a way that makes you have an open mind before you begin to judge the game or anything of sort. I understand if I have walked into a dangerous area of privacy so please feel free to not respond.
      My kids and I played a lot of games together when they were younger, starting with the Humongous Games like Pajama Sam and Spy Fox, while they were sitting on my lap. Playing together in Toontown became a natural progression, followed by the online version of the Webkins stuffed animals game. Wizard101 was a "no-brainer" for me, since I've always enjoyed reading fantasy and fairy tale books -- Harry Potter is huge at our house. My kids have since grown up and gotten other interests, but I'm still wizarding and pirating.

If your mother is completely against gaming in general, how is she with magic and fantasy in books and movies? Is she a very realistic and fundamental person? If she has no interest in magic, you may not be able to convince her to join you, but if she does have a small interest-- that is your opening.

I would suggest you ask her to create a free account and just check out the tutorial. Give her a True Friend Code for your wizard -- a baby one if you can make a new one -- and explain that you want her to do this so you can chat in-game with her and share adventures as well as have happy times. Who else in your family might be more readily willing to log in and give it a try, and persuade your mother it's okay? Tell your mom to check out Central, where she can see how many of us older folks are players as well as parents.

Good Luck!

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

sravensong is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I find this to be a very sweet post because it shows you love your family and still want to connect with them. I allowed my daughter to start playing as a reward for doing well in school, finishing homework, etc. and we did limit the time she spent on it with a timer. Sadly, I started playing because of her bad experiences in the hatchery. She was a menu chat player and could never get a hatch so I started trying to get people to hatch with her pet and working on making it better so she didn't have to deal with it. Then I slowly started exploring, doing a quest or two, and then wanted my own wizard.

I think it's a great way to spend time together as a family when you can't be together in person. My brother uses it as a way to connect to his niece and nephew (my kids) and when we do get online together we have a great time terrorizing bosses. They're still a bit young and he also wanted them to have someone they could depend on because let's face it. There are a lot of mean people in the game that aren't kind if you mess up when they're "helping" you. I would tell your Mom you know lots of families that connect using this and you would like to as well.

If your Mom is against your playing games because you do "God knows what" maybe you can tell her if she plays with you she'll know exactly what you're doing. As a parent, I would honestly be happier playing games with my kids rather than have them play with strangers whose intentions are "God knows what."

I hope things turn out well for you and your family.

Avatar and Signature courtesy of Expelliarmus.

phantomslick7272 is offline Journeyman Wizard

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I 100% understand. I am an adult, late 30's, I don't have any children yet, but what I do have is a much younger sister and nieces and nephews. . . and a mother who absolutely hates video games.

My siblings and myself were never allowed to play any as children and I did not start playing any seriously until I was out of college and on my own. My youngest sister wasn't born until I was in college so when I started playing she was still little. When she was about 9 she showed a lot of interest playing with me when I was visiting once. Since I never lived with her like my other siblings and didn't get to see her often I thought well that would be a fun way to connect with her. And I asked my mother if I could add her to my account, even told her I would pay for the zones and everything. The answer was a resounding no, never got to even argue my case. To my mother, video games were something that added no value to your like and kept you from doing other things that were more important like 'socializing'.

Well my sister has started college herself now, she no longer has any interest in it as she was never allowed to play anything, and her and I maintain the distant relationship we always had (unlike my other siblings whom I am very close too.) I can't say that playing would have helped my relationship with her but I believe it would for the following reason. . .

I met my husband on wizard. We've been happily married for 6 years and our relationship bridges land, sea, and country among a myriad of other things. We started out as friends in the game and it just developed.

But the frequent communication and team dynamics of social games are the building blocks to good relationships, actually in a safer environment then the normally accepted ones because you can choose to be as anonymous as you want. The caveat there is that other people are too and certain situations lend to possible predatory opportunities. But these exist most places even outside of video games and can be avoided with proper precautions. Wizard is a safe game and my other siblings let me play with my nieces and nephews when they're interested. Which is great since I now live in a different country an ocean away from them.

But my mom's opinion has not changed, I have never been able to persuade her. (despite the fact my husband is her favorite of her sons/daughters in law)

You are welcome to use my examples to help persuade your mother if you think they may help. I have made many valuable friends in game over the years and learned so much about other cultures and things I would not otherwise. I think you need to see if your mom is open to learning about what 'god knows what' is as a first step see if she'll let you show her. Talk about the friends you've made and the things you've gained from those relationships. Tell her that you miss her and try to show her that it can bring you closer instead of separate you. Maybe if she knows a bit more she'll be able to have an open mind about it.

I think my mom even might enjoy it if I could ever get her to let me show her, especially now that she has the proverbial empty nest. But she won't even try so. . . sigh.

Good luck though! Just see if she's willing to let you show her. I really hope it works out
      Last edited by phantomslick7272; 10-29-19 at 10:51:15 AM.

Wildflower is offline Novice Wizard

• Wildflower's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Fiona Dayrunner
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
      ----

Mood:
      Creative

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I am an over 50 grandma of 6 and a seasoned gamer. My daughters and I played Toontown together when they were in their 20's. I found W101 when it was in Beta, was accepted to be a tester, and I have been playing the game on and off for 12 years. My younger daughter, her fiance, and 5 grandchildren also play the game. It has been a wonderful experience playing with the younger kids, and watching their parents learn from them (which we all do).

JaredSpellFrost is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• JaredSpellFrost's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  JaredSpellFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fuzzy Jake
        •  Pet's Type: