No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Double Gardening announcement made from KI webiste

Double Gardening returning soon with changes

Hello Wizards,

I wanted to stop by and chat about Double Gardening. We know that you have been eager for the next event, and the good news is that it will be returning very soon - within the next month, in fact! I know its been on a long hiatus, so we appreciate your patience as changes have been made.

Starting with the 10th anniversary and beyond, weve been taking a look at old content and systems as they interact with our plans for the future. Our newest event, the Beastmoon Hunt, has a gardening tie-in, which gave us an opportunity to review that whole system. The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful with respect to Plants that reseed themselves every time. We were faced with two difficult options: discontinue the double gardening benefit entirely or remove the seed duplication. We know that Double Gardening is incredibly beloved, and we have fun with it too, so we went with the second option. Plants that reseed themselves will continue to do so, dropping a single seed even during Double Gardening events.

With this concern resolved, we will be able to offer you Double Gardening more often, and occasionally for longer stretches of time than we could before. You will also of course continue to receive double experience and double rewards as expected!

My thoughts: We get double XP, tcs, and snacks but not double seeds. Seeds will harvest like they do always. Do elixirs work this way too? No more doubling seeds ever? Do you think any clarification will be forthcoming? We will need to find out for ourselves in September I suppose? I'm happy to have an answer from KI. This most certainly explains why they have put it off and put it off.

Bummer if you're new. The have and have not divide just became a chasm.
      Last edited by Fiona DragonEyes; 8-13-19 at 5:22:14 PM.

KingsIsle's warning label:
      Buyer Beware

masterofspelss is offline Legendary Wizard

• masterofspelss's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Maggie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Onyx Shenlong Dragon

Mood:
      Netflix

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Double Gardening announcement made from KI webiste

I'm actually completely okay with this, since my bank is completely overflowing from previous double gardening. I wasn't able to expand my jewel seeds, but that's okay, since I still get double rewards.

"I'm the Doctor"

Vile is offline Magus Wizard

• Vile's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Fred Battlegrove
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Orio
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Firezilla
      ----

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona DragonEyes View Post
      Double Gardening returning soon with changesHello Wizards,

I wanted to stop by and chat about Double Gardening. We know that you have been eager for the next event, and the good news is that it will be returning very soon - within the next month, in fact! I know its been on a long hiatus, so we appreciate your patience as changes have been made.

Starting with the 10th anniversary and beyond, weve been taking a look at old content and systems as they interact with our plans for the future. Our newest event, the Beastmoon Hunt, has a gardening tie-in, which gave us an opportunity to review that whole system. The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful with respect to Plants that reseed themselves every time. We were faced with two difficult options: discontinue the double gardening benefit entirely or remove the seed duplication. We know that Double Gardening is incredibly beloved, and we have fun with it too, so we went with the second option. Plants that reseed themselves will continue to do so, dropping a single seed even during Double Gardening events.
      Here, I fixed it.

The seed duplication effect of Double Gardening was something that was never really intended, and actually pretty harmful to our pockets.

ινιηєρуяσмαηєя

Patrick FairyStalker is offline Magus Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Hot

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I know that there will be a ton of "well-established" players (myself included) who will be happy with this change. No longer will we have to deal with overflowing banks or bags.

But this reintroduces a barrier of entry that hasn't existed for years. Before sub benefits, people had to either farm or buy (with crowns) every individual couch potato or evil magma pea.

I personally benefit from several gardens of 69 evil magma peas (stacked), and this has kept me afloat; training pets require a massive storage of gold and mega snacks. In total, I regularly garden ~300 EMPs and ~200 couch potatoes. I know people on central who garden much more than that. Any new member, who would want to have the same amount of $$$ and mega snack "income" would need to farm every single seed individually.

I understand that this doubling was not intentional. Seed doubling was, by definition, overpowered; quadrupling my 100 peas in a weekend was insanely awesome, and too good to be true.

But my heart aches for the not-"well-established" wizards who won't be able to enjoy this wonderful benefit.

EDIT:
      Also, this kills any idea I had of creating a new account. There is absolutely no way that I would be willing to farm 500 seeds just to train pets easily.
      Last edited by Patrick FairyStalker; 8-13-19 at 5:35:22 PM.

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

For myself, its nice to get a slightly better answer. However, I am not sure how I feel about this. Not that I need any more seeds, but I do feel bad for those who will miss out a chance in getting more seeds through gardening.

However, for those who were upset about the inventory, I wondering if they are happy to get this news?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vile View Post
      Here, I fixed it.

Just saw your post and honestly, that was exactly the same thought I had when I had read that sentence.

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

Fiona DragonEyes is offline Magus Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Jade View Post
      However, for those who were upset about the inventory, I wondering if they are happy to get this news?
      I am happy that I can garden during the gardening benefit to double up on snacks as a way of being able to get gold in the future. It's the only way to have a stash for cash. Clearly, the treasure card vault is a no go though officially no announcement has been made. So personally, I am happy to hear the news.

What I hate is for new wizards who will forever be left behind with absolutely no option to catch up.

What is the point of gardening elixirs now?

KingsIsle's warning label:
      Buyer Beware

Yuna is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Yuna's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Destruction Incarnate
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mimi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mimic

Mood:
      Annoyed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

i'm happy about this. this solves all the inventory issues i had with gardening to the point where i would actively avoid this benefit because it was so annoying feeding seeds to pets one by one. i know there were many others who felt this way too.

i'm actually not too surprised ki went this route. in fact i predicted in another thread a day or two ago ki would either choose to eliminimate the doubling of seeds or move gardening benefit to elixir form. personally, i find this the better approach of the two. still get the double snacks and tcs plus reagents to sell for gold. just no more inventory management issues.

"Peace is but a shadow of death; desperate to forget its painful past. Though we hope for promising years,
      after shedding a thousand tears, yesterday's sorrow constantly nears."

Paige Whisper is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Paige Whisper's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Paige Whisper
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sheriff Snoopie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra
      ----

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

This is a pretty thinly veiled way of saying that it unsurprisingly hurt their income to have seeds doubled. There's no denying that. But as a player who has also been sitting on a 69 EMP garden for a few years, this is a welcome reprieve from figuring out what to do with those hundreds and hundreds of extra seeds. Even with seven max characters I couldn't hope to keep up with that.

I'm fortunate, however, to be in a position where any new seeds are surplus. As other people have pointed out, people just starting out won't get any assistance with building up to the massive gardens us veterans have. The thing is, we were never supposed to have that boost without paying in either time or money. Member benefits are designed to save us a little bit of time and/or a little bit of money. Duplicating 69 seeds? That's enormous (and truthfully broken) savings.

I know that any seed doubling will be harmful for KI's income (though I see this with absolutely no professional experience in the relevant fields whatsoever). I get that there isn't any way around it. But it would be nice (however fanciful) if there was some sort of compromise here; a cap to how many seeds you can have duplicated (maybe only 10 seeds will drop two seeds for every elder harvest as opposed to all 69), a double seed elixir that you can buy (it doesn't need to be available 24/7), etc.

Honestly, if double gardening was an elixir, I could see enough veterans buying it regularly that any profit loss due to double seed drops would be negligible. But a combination of things is possible here, too.

I don't know. Just some thoughts. I'm not too disgruntled about this change, but I'm very privileged to have already benefitted.
      Paige Whisper Jacob Flame Ryan RainCaller Kiley Dusk Fallon Dawn Sarah OwlRider Nora StoryDust

Ravino. is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Ravino.'s Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jonathan DeathShield
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Grim Blue
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ianthine Spectre

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick FairyStalker View Post
      (...)But this reintroduces a barrier of entry that hasn't existed for years. Before sub benefits, people had to either farm or buy (with crowns) every individual couch potato or evil magma pea.

(...)
      I understand that this doubling was not intentional. Seed doubling was, by definition, overpowered; quadrupling my 100 peas in a weekend was insanely awesome, and too good to be true.

But my heart aches for the not-"well-established" wizards who won't be able to benefit from this wonderful benefit.
      Agreed. Now we have yet another entry barrier for new players into pvp and endgame dungeon farming, while well estabilished players will either welcome or disregard this change (since we no longer have real need of this benefit).

And to make matters worse, the players most affected by this change are unlikely to be active in forums and social media; the community's reaction won't be appropriately representative of the longterm issues this change might cause....

I only hope KI will do something to fix this disadvantage. Maybe increase the drop rate of seeds in low-lvl worlds to be closer to what we see in Empyrea? Or offer seed multiplication in another form? New players will definitely need better ways to establish their garden.

In the big picture, this feels more like a step backwards than a kind response to player feedback...
      ~R

DeathReaper is offline Novice Wizard

• DeathReaper's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jack StormBlood
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Tasha
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Spark Beast

Mood:
      Spooky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

While yes, I'm thankful that I don't have to figure out what to do with my 100s of EMPS and CPs every time I harvest, this particular benefit helped me rapidly build up the base garden I needed to harvest enough mega snacks to actively train my pet. Considering that each pet needs 4000 EXP total to reach Mega, you need 1000 golden wheat bread to do that. That's an insane amount of snacks that you can't actively keep up without a big garden. I'm a veteran who's privileged enough to have more than enough snacks to do what I want with, but this effectively puts up another wall for new players. With the fact that training your pet at Epic costs 10 energy, you won't actively get anywhere with glowing star fruit and the like. No one wants to drop 3k crowns on 7 mega snacks, especially when gardens are available.

Yes, they did this because it was hurting their profit margins, but it's going to be bad for them in the long run. No one's going to fork over more money to get a garden going, especially new players, so their profits shouldn't actively change. Many players will be upset and possibly quit the game, and newer players will be less willing to pursue more of the game in the form of pvp and other such aspects since pet training has become that much harder for them. They're just setting up more and more walls for newer players. Sooner or later, all that will be left are the veterans, and no one will be at all interested in just starting up a new wizard. Without an influx of new players, the game will die. This won't directly lead to that, but it's a step in that direction.
      "Are you crazy!?"
      "I'm not, my mother had me tested."

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast