Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: New KI Mobile Game - Gloom Busters

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Sparck View Post
      Thanks Toa for writing back! The sentiment and thoughts about the process are much appreciated. Sometimes they can be missed, which is why I worded my response so frankly to ensure the point was made.

Understandable about Pirate101, but there are priorities that keep the company moving forward, so updates to that game as well haven't been as frequent as we or the community would like.

Above all, we really appreciate the sentiment and critical review when a game is being played. We want to know what's not working, what's not looking good, and what 'just stinks'... if we know the how and why, we can make it better, and of course improve our processes and content for the next game.
      I do really appreciate your willingness to respond to topics like this. Too often, frank discussions are avoided. I don't understand why you apologize for the company having to diversify, but I guess many players do see the investment in mobile games as a betrayal of Pirate101. Personally, I don't blame the mobile games so much as the recently overwhelming and seemingly frantic dumping of content into Wizard101 since the 10 year celebration began last year. To me, it's like the flood-gates have opened for Wizard101 but what Kingsisle is doing is drawing from and draining Pirate101's life away.

Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

DarkFire054 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• DarkFire054's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wolf LegendCaller
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Patch
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Intrepid Seal

Mood:
      Steam Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Hi from the shovelware team...

Have you tried our mobile games or is this just a general comment?

Most of your mobile games are literal carbon copies of a market already saturated with clones

None of our games are 'open and shut' or 'shovelware' and shouldn't be looked at them that way just because they are mobile... just so you know, we work for months and thousands of hours combined to put out as high quality of games and updates as possible. It's all for you, the players.

Yet 90% of them wind up being shut down

This isn't a money making industry typically, as much as many would like to think. Did you know that only roughly 1 in 10 mobile games makes it, and that no genre is safe? That's 'the name of the game' for most companies. KingsIsle AND its community are lucky that we have a highly experienced team to 'surf the waters' and chart the best course forward for as long-term as possible.

If it's not making money, and the grand majority of KI's install base is agaisnt them, why do you keep wasting resources? are you trying to reach a world record for most shut down games?

We realize what we're releasing is not an MMO or expansion to our existing games that you may play (don't worry, we'll have these too as we can develop them!), and we apologize for having to diversify. We would like to think our community (you) are still in support of our hard work for the betterment of the entire company and community, even if it's not for a game you may like (or even play) in the end.

And thank you for the stock respone every company in America gives when people don't like what the company is doing
      Stuff in bold, what a joke of a reply
      The Dynamic Duo: Ivan(s)? and Wizard

Sparck is online now Wizard101 US Faculty
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>DarkFire054 View Post
      Stuff in bold, what a joke of a reply
      Yes, 90% are 'shut down' because of the reason I gave, roughly only 1 in 10 make it. It's not wasting resources, it's valuable learning experiences and technological achievements that go into the next game.

Try making a game yourself, spend as much time as you like, and see if the first one or even the fifth one is a true success. I wish you the best here. It's something I encourage every passionate gamer that's interested in the idea to try, if not just on paper as a concept. There's some truly amazing ideas created! If only we could make a success out of them all.

This was honest answer, there was no stock reason given. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's better we given an honest answer than ignore your questions.
      Last edited by Sparck; 8-23-19 at 4:48:15 PM.

masterofcatastrophe is offline Legendary Wizard

• masterofcatastrophe's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Isaac
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Maximus
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Old Sparky

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Yes, 90% are 'shut down' because of the reason I gave, roughly only 1 in 10 make it. It's not wasting resources, it's valuable learning experiences and technological achievements that go into the next game.
      @Sparck, thanks for your responses. Ill be brief, I think the community is trying to tell KI: youve had your chances, we gave you 4-5 years to build the mobile games and accepted to remain patient for pirate101 update.

but if the 4th, 5th, 6th mobile game is not making it into the market as KI (and We!) hope, why continue risking resources and something already popularly claimed products like pirate101, into even more fail-potential mobile games?

the community is just trying to say after 5-6 years of mobile game development, its time to stop and focus on whats at stake here: pirate101 is on life support and couldve been as big as wiz otherwise if cared for just a bit more.

Eclipse summon: a dragon whose wings span the skies; golden sun
      bored? want a "wizardly" change? support my thread!
      SUPPORT MY THREAD TO CHANGE GAZE OF FATE!

Toa of Gallifrey is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Toa of Gallifrey's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Gabriel StarCatcher
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Blue
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armaments

Mood:
      Lagging

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Try making a game yourself, spend as much time as you like, and see if the first one or even the fifth one is a true success. I wish you the best here. It's something I encourage every passionate gamer that's interested in the idea to try, if not just on paper as a concept. There's some truly amazing ideas created! If only we could make a success out of them all.

This was honest answer, there was no stock reason given. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's better we given an honest answer than ignore your questions.
      You're missing the point DarkFire and I made. While "learning experience" seems like a flimsy justification at best, I'll take you at your word and take it as undeniable truth that every failure makes the next game better. If that is indeed the case, it's even worse because the products don't seem to be any better for it. My core point is that it matters not what is learned from these experiments when public perception doesn't change, and I don't just mean people who give them an automatic pass. Game development is a fickle industry, one that simultaneously rewards rigid adherence for formulas and creative experimentation. Mobile gaming skews more towards the former. I don't fault your team for following market trends, but the fact of the matter is that these products' failings only serve to further stain your reputation. This is a long shot and you may not be willing or able to answer, but I lose nothing by trying: will you disclose which of the mobile games have been successes upon the first few months of release? I'm not asking for any figures, though they would be appreciated. The more details you can share about what's going on behind the scenes for already-released products, the more people will be willing to take what you say at face value.
      A-1 Pictures is a bad studio that produces bad shows, but every now and then they make something good.

----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Toa of Gallifrey View Post
      You're missing the point DarkFire and I made. While "learning experience" seems like a flimsy justification at best, I'll take you at your word and take it as undeniable truth that every failure makes the next game better. If that is indeed the case, it's even worse because the products don't seem to be any better for it. My core point is that it matters not what is learned from these experiments when public perception doesn't change, and I don't just mean people who give them an automatic pass. Game development is a fickle industry, one that simultaneously rewards rigid adherence for formulas and creative experimentation. Mobile gaming skews more towards the former. I don't fault your team for following market trends, but the fact of the matter is that these products' failings only serve to further stain your reputation. This is a long shot and you may not be willing or able to answer, but I lose nothing by trying: will you disclose which of the mobile games have been successes upon the first few months of release? I'm not asking for any figures, though they would be appreciated. The more details you can share about what's going on behind the scenes for already-released products, the more people will be willing to take what you say at face value.
      Understandable, you make some good points. I can't reveal financials in this regard (partly because I simply don't know them... I'm community manager and not a financial manager ). Animal Cove has been good, and several of our past games, so we're 'bucking the trend' so to speak. That's because we have a kick *** team .
      Last edited by Sparck; 8-27-19 at 8:27:01 PM.

Chris Spiritcaster is offline Master Wizard

• Chris Spiritcaster's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Chris Spiritcaster/D/114;Shadowcaller/I/120;Firebringer/F/127;Firesword/S/126;Battlehamer/M/126
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Various

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Willowdreamer View Post
      I do really appreciate your willingness to respond to topics like this. Too often, frank discussions are avoided. I don't understand why you apologize for the company having to diversify, but I guess many players do see the investment in mobile games as a betrayal of Pirate101. Personally, I don't blame the mobile games so much as the recently overwhelming and seemingly frantic dumping of content into Wizard101 since the 10 year celebration began last year. To me, it's like the flood-gates have opened for Wizard101 but what Kingsisle is doing is drawing from and draining Pirate101's life away.

I so agree with your sentiment. It seems like Pirate101 has been neglected far too long for all of the effort being put into Wizard101. It must be difficult to develop mobile games and I for one don't have the ability to make such an attempt. I just wish some effort would be put into updating Pirate101 as my son and I really enjoy playing. We hadn't been on in a while and got on about two weeks ago. It seemed like we never left and the game is in stasis.
      Last edited by Chris Spiritcaster; 8-26-19 at 3:43:58 PM.

Kingurz is offline Adept Wizard

• Kingurz's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Matthew Deathshade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Pepper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fierce Hound
      ----

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

KI recently made the announcement that this game is getting shut down on 04 March.

https://mobilegames.kingsisle.com/ga...r-march-4-2020

Personally, I hope resources get directed towards Pirate101 (or even make Pirate101 into a mobile game and update it that way).

DarkFire054 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• DarkFire054's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wolf LegendCaller
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Patch
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Intrepid Seal

Mood:
      Steam Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Kingurz View Post
      KI recently made the announcement that this game is getting shut down on 04 March.

https://mobilegames.kingsisle.com/ga...r-march-4-2020

Personally, I hope resources get directed towards Pirate101 (or even make Pirate101 into a mobile game and update it that way).

It still baffles me on how all but 2 of KI's mobile games (not counting the companion games for wiz) have failed and yet they still try to pump more out, just stick to what you know instead of wasting countless resources chasing after the market. and if your still going to try at least make a game that isn't a clone of whatever's currently trending with no soul to it
      The Dynamic Duo: Ivan(s)? and Wizard

----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>DarkFire054 View Post
      It still baffles me on how all but 2 of KI's mobile games (not counting the companion games for wiz) have failed and yet they still try to pump more out, just stick to what you know instead of wasting countless resources chasing after the market. and if your still going to try at least make a game that isn't a clone of whatever's currently trending with no soul to it
      These were limited releases to see the viability of the game, they were not global launches. Better to test them out in a limited environment than waste time and resources going full blast out of the gate. This is how game development for mobile products typically works.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast