Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Confused about a muting

So today I was muted for 15 minutes and I had no idea why, so I emailed KI. They said I had said in chat, 'aight, dope'. Now while that was true, the word dope was red and only showed up as dots. I was typing fast, didn't notice, hit enter and didn't attempt to go around the filter when I saw it showed up as dots. They said that any use of words that are against the TOS will get a sanction. I kept asking them why I had received a mute when although I had typed the word it only showed up as dots, and they just kept saying any use of words against the TOS will receive a sanction. I tried to argue that although I had typed the word I hadn't really used it because it didn't show up. After that they then said they would give the matter no further consideration. So basically I can now be muted if I use a word that shows up as dots even if I don't go around the filter to make it show up. That's rather frustrating as some words in the game itself are red, such as kiss which is in the title of a card, Kiss of Death. Does that mean if I circumvent the filter to say Kiss of Death in reference to the card I can be muted? Is there anyone else who has had this issue with being muted for saying a red word that showed up as dots? I'm also wondering if I actually got a response from KI itself or if it was just their automated response system. I can't really tell because the responses where vague enough that they could have been automated but also were technically responses to what I was asking them.
      Signature and avatar by Penguin77. His shop is here.
      Formerly known as Zingbot.

millot is offline Apprentice Wizard

• millot's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  blazeduneflame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  max

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Confused about a muting

i think a lot of people will be mute if that's the case.

edward sky is online now Journeyman Wizard

• edward sky's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Edward sky
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir boots
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Satyr (life pet)

Mood:
      Eating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

While it was a mild thing said, it's not really child friendly to say.

While within the right context "Kiss" (in reference to the spell card for example) would be justified to say, "dope" in any context shouldn't be used in Wizard101 so it was rightfully flagged as inappropriate before sent you sent it on accident, so they placed a small mute to remind to be mindful of word choice.

I'd shrug it off and just pay closer attention in the future, it could have been a worse of a punishment if they'd so chose.

The filter can be picky but I'm certain they could instead make it so full sentences are turned red vs a word depending on the before and after but that could just get even messier.

But I think this one is pretty reasonable, sorry it happens to the best of us though.

Edward sky/Life/102/
      And may the odds be ever in your favour.

Brian Icefist is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Brian Icefist's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian IceFist
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  White Winter Owl
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edward sky View Post

While within the right context "Kiss" (in reference to the spell card for example) would be justified to say, "dope" in any context shouldn't be used in Wizard101 so it was rightfully flagged as inappropriate before sent you sent it on accident, so they placed a small mute to remind to be mindful of word choice.

I'd shrug it off and just pay closer attention in the future, it could have been a worse of a punishment if they'd so chose.

The filter can be picky but I'm certain they could instead make it so full sentences are turned red vs a word depending on the before and after but that could just get even messier.

But I think this one is pretty reasonable, sorry it happens to the best of us though.
      I guess I do understand it to an extent. It just baffles me that I was muted even though the word showed up as dots and I didn't attempt to go around the filter after I saw that it was a red word. I'm not trying to go to war over it, I just wish they would give me a better answer than what they are giving me. I don't know it just seems rather extreme to be muted when it came out as dots and it was frustrating because it happened in the middle of a Darkmoor run when chatting was rather important and then all of a sudden I couldn't even talk properly.

Also out of curiosity why would you say dope should in no context be used? To me dope means cool, although I can see another use for the word it doesn't strike me as such a terrible word to warrant a mute like that.

alexandranight is offline Magus Wizard

Mood:
      Thinking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Icefist View Post
      I guess I do understand it to an extent. It just baffles me that I was muted even though the word showed up as dots and I didn't attempt to go around the filter after I saw that it was a red word. I'm not trying to go to war over it, I just wish they would give me a better answer than what they are giving me. I don't know it just seems rather extreme to be muted when it came out as dots and it was frustrating because it happened in the middle of a Darkmoor run when chatting was rather important and then all of a sudden I couldn't even talk properly.

Also out of curiosity why would you say dope should in no context be used? To me dope means cool, although I can see another use for the word it doesn't strike me as such a terrible word to warrant a mute like that.
      It can be substance related, but I'd use it in your context as well.

​Alexandra Nighthunter/Alexandra Lionriver/Alia Stormsong/Anna Dusksong/Brynn Ravenheart/​Nicole Nightstone/Sarah Sand

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian IceFist
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  White Winter Owl
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alexandranight View Post
      It can be substance related, but I'd use it in your context as well.
      Well yes I know that, but grass can be substance related as well. Lots of words can be substance related if you choose to use them like that. Glass, hard, soft etc. So why is dope so awful.

Bailey Jade is offline Promethean Wizard

• Bailey Jade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Bailey or Jordan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Patches
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mummy Cat
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

So today I was muted for 15 minutes and I had no idea why, so I emailed KI. They said I had said in chat, 'aight, dope'. Now while that was true, the word dope was red and only showed up as dots. I was typing fast, didn't notice, hit enter and didn't attempt to go around the filter when I saw it showed up as dots. They said that any use of words that are against the TOS will get a sanction. I kept asking them why I had received a mute when although I had typed the word it only showed up as dots, and they just kept saying any use of words against the TOS will receive a sanction. I tried to argue that although I had typed the word I hadn't really used it because it didn't show up. After that they then said they would give the matter no further consideration. So basically I can now be muted if I use a word that shows up as dots even if I don't go around the filter to make it show up. That's rather frustrating as some words in the game itself are red, such as kiss which is in the title of a card, Kiss of Death. Does that mean if I circumvent the filter to say Kiss of Death in reference to the card I can be muted? Is there anyone else who has had this issue with being muted for saying a red word that showed up as dots? I'm also wondering if I actually got a response from KI itself or if it was just their automated response system. I can't really tell because the responses where vague enough that they could have been automated but also were technically responses to what I was asking them.
      Even though you saw the word as a bunch of dots, the word in question is red and its not allowed. The reasoning for the dots was due to having limited chat. As someone had mention its a reference to something else which is why you got the warning in the first place. The only thing you can really argue with KI is that you did not mean it in that way, but referring to someone who is not thinking or your joking around with a friend. They can go back and read all the chat.

Not too long ago, I have a friend who got a warning for saying a name of a wand. We only found out what trigger the word by testing it, and even though they had remove the sanction, they warned us not to test again due to it was "going around the filter" My issue is how are you suppose to inform them if you don't test. It really does not make any sense.

As for the name of the spell, there are other that your not allowed to say and I honestly don't know why KI keeps naming things that we are not allowed to say.

Anyhow, just be polite to them and explain that the way you used the word was not in a usage way. Good Luck

Siggy by Mad Hatter Avi by Wolf HexWeave
      Looking for a Hatch
      Helpful Hatcher or Max Stats Pets

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian IceFist
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  White Winter Owl
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey Jade View Post
      Even though you saw the word as a bunch of dots, the word in question is red and its not allowed. The reasoning for the dots was due to having limited chat. As someone had mention its a reference to something else which is why you got the warning in the first place. The only thing you can really argue with KI is that you did not mean it in that way, but referring to someone who is not thinking or your joking around with a friend. They can go back and read all the chat.

Not too long ago, I have a friend who got a warning for saying a name of a wand. We only found out what trigger the word by testing it, and even though they had remove the sanction, they warned us not to test again due to it was "going around the filter" My issue is how are you suppose to inform them if you don't test. It really does not make any sense.

As for the name of the spell, there are other that your not allowed to say and I honestly don't know why KI keeps naming things that we are not allowed to say.

Anyhow, just be polite to them and explain that the way you used the word was not in a usage way. Good Luck
      Except I have open chat, and not limited chat. The word dope is red in open chat so no one could see it and it isn't an issue of having limited chat. Therefore no one could have reported me for using it as they didn't know what it was. I'm assuming that it was some sort of auto mute function that is a part of the programming in the game. Now while I understand using that if a word gets through, I don't understand why it would be used if the word showed up as dots, seeing as how it could easily be interpreted by other players as a typo that is red, and not a banned word.

Based on what you're saying about your friend I have to assume it's some auto mute function in the game. I can understand having a feature like that but I think it should be tweaked a bit. It's really the timing of the mute that had me the most frustrated because it came at a time where chatting was very important and I had no way of explaining I just got muted and for how long. I think KI should add a menu chat feature that lets you say how long your character is muted for. In this case it was only 15 minutes so that feature would have been very useful, that way the other players would know what was going on.

And I agree it makes no sense why they keep naming things we cannot say in chat.

Lastly I was polite with them in my emails and I said I was understanding, I just wanted a better explanation than them saying I went around the filter, because in my opinion I didn't. In my opinion going around the filter would have been typing out the word dope in a way that it didn't show up as dots. That's what I was trying to explain to them when they said they would not look further into the matter.

Padfoot101 is offline Adept Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by edward sky View Post

dope mean same as silly here. like your such a dope. even 7 dwarfs know this use.

also slang for good. that cars totally dope.

yeh slang for drugs but idk what kind and never hear it about that irl just the other ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Except I have open chat, and not limited chat. The word dope is red in open chat so no one could see it and it isn't an issue of having limited chat. Therefore no one could have reported me for using it as they didn't know what it was. I'm assuming that it was some sort of auto mute function that is a part of the programming in the game. Now while I understand using that if a word gets through, I don't understand why it would be used if the word showed up as dots, seeing as how it could easily be interpreted by other players as a typo that is red, and not a banned word.

Based on what you're saying about your friend I have to assume it's some auto mute function in the game. I can understand having a feature like that but I think it should be tweaked a bit. It's really the timing of the mute that had me the most frustrated because it came at a time where chatting was very important and I had no way of explaining I just got muted and for how long. I think KI should add a menu chat feature that lets you say how long your character is muted for. In this case it was only 15 minutes so that feature would have been very useful, that way the other players would know what was going on.

And I agree it makes no sense why they keep naming things we cannot say in chat.

Lastly I was polite with them in my emails and I said I was understanding, I just wanted a better explanation than them saying I went around the filter, because in my opinion I didn't. In my opinion going around the filter would have been typing out the word dope in a way that it didn't show up as dots. That's what I was trying to explain to them when they said they would not look further into the matter.
      its not right cos i do lots of red words on accident for bad spelling and its ok least it has been so far. they come out dots when i spell bad and dont see quick to fix it. id be sad if they mute me cos i spell bad.

Willowdreamer is offline W101C Team Leader

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Victoria Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kookaburra

Mood:
      Scurvy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

It's kind of like when a parent resorts to "Because I said so." You may disagree with their assessment of the situation, but ultimately, it's not something they like to entertain discussion about. There is no better explanation, it's just their software works the way it works, and even if they were going to change anything, they don't necessarily want to make admissions or promises.

P.S. Dope can also be a derogatory name that bullies call someone, like idiot or moron. Language changes, and dictionaries are always playing catch-up.
      Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast