Mood:
      Steam Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: 7th character slot. Good news and Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra SeaSong View Post
      I think we have talked this to death already. As for KI owing us, you do realize that the price have the game has NEVER increased once in 10 years right?

As for this 7th character slot, no one really lost anything, all previous options are still open. For those who want to spend the money, they can, end of.

I don't think the idea is that KI "owes" the play anything, and more a matter of taking something that could have been free and shoved it into the cash shop.

Add onto to the fact that their charing tripple the price of what just about every other company charges for character slots, while also having options to get it for free, is of course going to rub players the worng way, espcially since it's been asked for since forever.

The topic is subjective, of course but for most players this has nothing to do with being "owed" anything, and more anti-consumer pratices
      The Dynamic Duo: Ivan(s)? and Wizard

Sierra SeaSong is offline Legendary Wizard

• Sierra SeaSong's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sierra SeaSong
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Xena
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Bored

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFire054 View Post
      I don't think the idea is that KI "owes" the play anything, and more a matter of taking something that could have been free and shoved it into the cash shop.

Add onto to the fact that their charing tripple the price of what just about every other company charges for character slots, while also having options to get it for free, is of course going to rub players the worng way, espcially since it's been asked for since forever.

The topic is subjective, of course but for most players this has nothing to do with being "owed" anything, and more anti-consumer pratices
      Don't you think KI has gotten this message by now?

DarkFire054 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• DarkFire054's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wolf LegendCaller
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Patch
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Intrepid Seal

Mood:
      Steam Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra SeaSong View Post
      Don't you think KI has gotten this message by now?

I mean it's either their comptelty ignorant to the situation (which they are), know it's way to high and don't care because let's be greedy (which they are) or a wierd mix of both (which.. oh look at that, they are)
      The Dynamic Duo: Ivan(s)? and Wizard

Nicole RainbowFist is offline Magus Wizard

• Nicole RainbowFist's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nicole RainbowFist
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Winston
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Cat
      ----

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Like any business, they will analyze the data after this goes live and see if their business decision helped or hurt them. Most likely, a ton of people are going to take advantage of this, whether they're happy about the price tag or not, and KI will find that they made a lot of money on this idea. I'm not much of a business person, but I can tell you that when something like a 7th character slot is this much in demand, they can probably afford to take the chance at making it more expensive.

I, personally, think it's not that bad of a price for a 7th slot. I think about the things i never expected to be able to do with the 7th school if I ever decided to make a second account, such as transferring reagents to it for crafting, transferring good low level gear I've acquired over the past 6 wizards, things you can't do even if you decide you do want to spend all that money on memberships or buying areas for a second account. Being able to already have access to the areas AND be able to take advantage of using gear I already have makes this price not seem so bad. I will probably buy a 7th slot even though I am now kicking myself for all the myth gear I trashed because I never thought I'd need it...

Nicole WindRider Nicole SkySinger Nicole RainbowFist Nicole ThunderBlade Grace RavenBane
      Sig and avi by Brian TitanBlade

steMoGsteL is offline Fizzled

• steMoGsteL's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  WillowHeart
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  9% fish luck corgi / ultimate energy corgi
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I just want to forewarn everyone, Let the buyer beware.
      Because there might be not just 1 new wizard slot for purchase in the coming months/years. They just might be creative enough to pull off SEVEN or more schools. If that 7th wizard is bought now, we might be facing the same dilemma as to which school to leave off come a year from now.

With that said, I'm excited to have this opportunity. If earn crowns ever starts working again, how many videos will it take to earn enough crowns for this? LOL.
      I am also sure they will reduce the price, unless people start saying they approve of it, I hope we all do not approve. I'd appreciate communication from the company to know ahead of time where they view the game to be in the recent future, to know now if they're working on x amount more schools or not. I'd also wouldn't consider anything at regular price knowing there will be sales and crowns reward weekend benefits where a purchase like this could earn us top tier prizes.

I'm hopeful they will lower the price.

And here is an idea, imagine if they made the 7th slot craftable! Anyone remember working diligently when the gh craft house and cl craft house first came out? That was an awesome project gathering impossible craft items, and it sure felt good accomplishing just 1 of those houses, let alone 2, (and I crafted both twice!). Howaboutit?

Draglegs is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Rose View Post
      At this point, we've bought all the areas, and only spent 179,275 of our 240,000 crowns.
      Assuming this total of 179,275 to buy all areas is correct, I'd like to add a bit more math to the equation in hopes of figuring out what the 7th slot is worth. I'm a penny pinching crowns player, so my post will read like that.

First I'm going to reduce this number. In my opinion as a crowns player, the only dungeon I'm going to buy is Darkmoor. The gear there is obviously nice, but the real reason to buy the zone is the spell you get there. I could rant about KI deciding to paywall a major spell, but that's another thread... So lets subtract the 5485 crowns required to buy the 3 extra dungeons. Now you are down to 173790. I'm also going to subtract 9735 for buying Aquila. The pricing of this set of zones is so absurd I didn't buy it, and likely never will. After subtracting this you are left with 164055. This is the total a penny pinching crowns player would pay. Each account is allowed 6 characters, so to figure out what each character is worth let's divide that number by 6. This yields ~27,342. So for a crowns players, each character slot is worth 27,342 crowns.

That said, you also need to figure in diminishing returns. As you get more and more character slots the value of the slot goes down. For instance if you had 99 character slots, the value of slot 100 would be close to zero. So the value of slot 7 is less than the value of slot 1. That means the 7th slot is worth something less than 27K crowns. But you can't put an exact value on what that diminishing returns are since it's very subjective. For a player who desperately wants all 7 magic schools the slot is likely worth close to the high end of 27K. For a player who really dislikes one of the schools, the slot is worth close to nothing. It really comes down to personal preference. But I think calculating out the 27K number at least gives players a point of reference when trying to figure out if the slot is worth it to them.

Personally, as a penny pinching crowns player, I think the slot costs too much at 18K. I will not be buying it.

Nicole RainbowFist is offline Magus Wizard

• Nicole RainbowFist's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nicole RainbowFist
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Winston
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Cat
      ----

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Draglegs View Post
      Assuming this total of 179,275 to buy all areas is correct, I'd like to add a bit more math to the equation in hopes of figuring out what the 7th slot is worth. I'm a penny pinching crowns player, so my post will read like that.

First I'm going to reduce this number. In my opinion as a crowns player, the only dungeon I'm going to buy is Darkmoor. The gear there is obviously nice, but the real reason to buy the zone is the spell you get there. I could rant about KI deciding to paywall a major spell, but that's another thread... So lets subtract the 5485 crowns required to buy the 3 extra dungeons. Now you are down to 173790. I'm also going to subtract 9735 for buying Aquila. The pricing of this set of zones is so absurd I didn't buy it, and likely never will. After subtracting this you are left with 164055. This is the total a penny pinching crowns player would pay. Each account is allowed 6 characters, so to figure out what each character is worth let's divide that number by 6. This yields ~27,342. So for a crowns players, each character slot is worth 27,342 crowns.

That said, you also need to figure in diminishing returns. As you get more and more character slots the value of the slot goes down. For instance if you had 99 character slots, the value of slot 100 would be close to zero. So the value of slot 7 is less than the value of slot 1. That means the 7th slot is worth something less than 27K crowns. But you can't put an exact value on what that diminishing returns are since it's very subjective. For a player who desperately wants all 7 magic schools the slot is likely worth close to the high end of 27K. For a player who really dislikes one of the schools, the slot is worth close to nothing. It really comes down to personal preference. But I think calculating out the 27K number at least gives players a point of reference when trying to figure out if the slot is worth it to them.

Personally, as a penny pinching crowns player, I think the slot costs too much at 18K. I will not be buying it.
      I love your take on this, because I'm very much a math and numbers person too. As I followed your train of thought, I was like, oh, 27k crowns per wizard. 18k sounds like a steal! Haha! Obviously, you came to a different conclusion. Anyway, thank you for doing the math on this so the rest of us have a frame of reference!

Nicole WindRider Nicole SkySinger Nicole RainbowFist Nicole ThunderBlade Grace RavenBane
      Sig and avi by Brian TitanBlade

Tanner Hex is online now Journeyman Wizard

• Tanner Hex's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tanner Hex
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Rex
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Onyx Shenlong Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      Mellow

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I haven't been following every single point raised in this thread, but I do think some users have pointed out that this elixir will probably go on sale at some point.

I think it would be nice if KI threw a sale for the seventh slot elixir right when test hit live, as a way to throw a bone to all the players who have been waiting for the feature for years. Maybe even make it a special one-time sale with a higher discount, like 50% or 75% off for 2-4 weeks.

A lower price would always be preferred, of course, but a special sale would also be a nice compromise.

colagada is offline Apprentice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'm not okay with KingsIsle charging even 1 Crown for a 7th slot. Players should never be required to pay a fee (over and above membership) for the basics of the game, and having the ability to create and simultaneously maintain a wizard in each beginning school is one of the basics of the game, at least to me.

It isn't the money. I understand that KingsIsle is a business, and that if they didn't have an item mall (in-game purchases, etc.), they would have to charge more for membership itself. Crowns items are how they can keep the game inexpensive for lower-budget players while offering Crowns purchases for those with more money who want to go faster, be stronger, have eye-pleasing things, etc. Those convenience items aren't necessary to enjoy the full spectrum of the game. I buy 150,000 to 300,000 Crowns per year for that purpose. I do it with eyes wide-open, knowing that I'm paying for convenience and/or aesthetically-pleasing items.

I don't have a problem with charging a fee for players who want additional slots over and above the current number of schools. Players might want more wizard slots for any number of reasons. That falls into the extras category and not the basics. I'm never okay with charging people extra above membership for the basics. That's my view, and you're welcome to a different one.

goldendragon18 is offline Master Wizard

• goldendragon18's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Fallon WinterLeaf
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mr Charlie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ianthine (Ultra)

Mood:
      Curious

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by mariokartsonicriders View Post
      its $35. It isn't that much of an investment. For crowns players its a drop in price from $225 to $35. For memberships its literally just the cost of 3.5 months of membership. Not really that hefty on your wallet. Heck, when you do a family plan for a membership, $35 barely covers 2 months of membership (because you're paying for both accounts).

This is a deal no matter what way you split it.
      It depends on how you look at it. Buying Crowns for 2 accounts just for the 7th slot IF they are not on sale is more than $35. 30k Crowns alone is $50 and it takes 36k to buy the 7th slot for both accounts. I sub 2 accounts for $13.90 a month on family plan. It is cheaper for me to do that than buy crowns every month for each account. At least I don't have to worry if my wizards have all been sent back to WC or are still where I left them.

The advantage of subs gives me the options of all member benefits if I wish to use them.. Most of the time I do.

I have to agree the price is considerably higher than I expected but I have also seen KI do some very surprising things over the years. I currently have 12 wizards and as much as I was looking forward to the day they did add the 7th slot, I am in no rush to add them just yet. Eventually I am sure I will.

For now, I am just glad that KI has taken the steps to add the 7th slot.

In regards to some of the comments I have seen about it being cheaper than getting a second account, I happen to like dual boxing as I am sure others do too. Many of us have had family accounts for a long time and not just to have that 7th wizard.

Last edited by goldendragon18; 4-18-19 at 9:30:43 PM.

Fallon WinterLeaf

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast