Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

The Project O Workbooks

Major thanks to Jester for allowing me to do this .

Well everyone, this is it; the wait is over. After six long years of development behind the scenes, I'm finally ready to share with you all my most cherished masterpieces: the Project O workbooks. These Excel workbooks contain the Project O databases themselves, a few specialized tools and features like Ask Othello and the Genome Calculator, and a few other features which are also present within Project G like the Style Manager and Workbook Manager.

You can download copies of these workbooks for talents or derby abilities through the links below.

http://www.wizard101central.com/file...nts_W101).xlsb
      http://www.wizard101central.com/file...ies_W101).xlsb

The current version is 8.2.1, and they were last updated on September 5th, 2019.

Disclaimer: In order to open or use these workbooks, you must have access to Microsoft Excel 2007 or later (for Windows) or Microsoft Excel For Mac 2011 or later (for Mac), neither of which are free, I'm afraid. These workbooks are also not compatible with any open-sourced spreadsheet applications such as LibreOffice, sadly.

If you all have any questions, comments, concerns, or bug reports, feel free to post them in this thread or send them to me privately.

Quote Originally Posted by For Bug Reports
      Operating System (Windows, Mac, or Other):
      -

Excel Version (Please specify the year, e.g. 2019):
      -

Workbook Version (See cell B3 on the Workbook Settings sheet):
      -

Description (Please be as descriptive as possible):
      -
      Thank you all for reading, and enjoy the workbooks!
      Last edited by Milt; 9-5-19 at 11:47:03 AM. Reason: Version 8.2.1 is now available

Milt is offline Archmage Wizard

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: The Project O Workbooks

A few weeks have passed since I released the Project O workbooks to the public, and I would like to ask how you all are enjoying them...or if anyone has even tried them out (the lack of feedback is kinda concerning).

I do plan on putting together an update for these workbooks in the near future; so if anyone would like to share any feedback about them as currently presented, I would love to hear it.

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Hello everyone.

The Project O workbooks have been updated to version 8.1.0. The release notes contain quite a lot of good stuff, so please give them a read whenever you get the chance.

Seed Base Updates

Every talent which debuted between January 2019 and April 2019 are now present within the talent variant. The derby ability variant, on the other hand, received no such updates.

Overhauled Style Mechanics

When I first created (the mess which would eventually become) the Style Manager back in late 2015, it only served one purpose: to recolor cells and sheets at the click of a button. Its capabilities have expanded since then, yet its primary purpose has remained the same.

Up until now, the Style Manager would simply color in every contiguous block of cells referenced in code. For this reason, the layouts for each sheet were purposefully simplified as much as possible to reduce the amount of code needed to get the Style Manager's job done. Even after much careful planning, the old mechanics were still inefficient: every instruction therein still took up space; and if the number of sheets or cell blocks increased, so would the number of instructions (thus a larger file size). Thankfully, I recently learned about a neat feature in Microsoft Excel which would eliminate that flaw entirely.

From 8.1.0 onward, Project O will be making use of Microsoft Excel's cell style feature. A cell style sets the default properties (background color, text color, text font, borders, etc.) of any cell which utilizes it. By default, all untouched cells in Microsoft Excel use the "Normal" cell style. Microsoft Excel also lets users create their own cell styles -- and of course, I took advantage of that.

Introduced are three custom cell styles named "#1", "#2", and "#3": all three correspond to the three style colors recognized by the workbooks. All cells which were already colored in earlier versions will be linked to any of those three cell styles; so, if any of them were modified, those modifications would also apply to their host cells; this eliminates the need to recolor every block of cells individually in code, saving valuable space overall.

Although I won't be taking full advantage of them now, these new, overhauled style mechanics completely open the floodgates for all sorts of radical additions to Project O's style system.

The New Style Manager!

In addition to overhauled style mechanics, version 8.1.0 also brings a new, overhauled Style Manager. In general, the New Style Manager is easier to use and contains fewer moving parts than the old one.

For starters, the New Style Manager eliminates the "Rename" button altogether, providing a new text box to fulfill the same purpose instead; it should be located right next to the style name drop-down list box. To rename a style, simply type a new name into the text box and then click the "Save" button.

Another important difference to watch out for is how the Style Manager reacts to renaming styles after other existing styles. The original version simply prevents the name change and returns an error message; the newer version, by contrast, will save your modifications to the style which goes by that name, effectively overwriting it. The newer version will always give you a warning prompt before the overwrite occurs, allowing you to cancel it if needed.

Yet another important difference is how the Style Manager adds new styles to the Style Collection sheet.

With the original version, this process took two steps:

1. Type an unused name into the drop-down list box.
      2. Click the "Save" button.

With the newer version, this process takes three steps:

1. Select the blank style (first option) from the drop-down list.
      2. Type an unused name into the adjacent text box.
      3. Click the "Save" button.

While adding a new style takes slightly more effort with the newer version, it avoids a quirk in the original version where entering an existing name would automatically select the style which goes by it, undoing all of your modifications without the option to save.

And here's one more key difference: how the Style Manager handles the workbook's current style. If the workbook's current style (on the Workbook Settings sheet) has an existing copy within the style collection (which is almost always the case), the original version would go out of its way to treat both copies as the same style; if any changes were saved to either copy, the original version would apply them throughout the workbook to keep the illusion intact -- this obnoxious mechanic was one of the chief motivators behind the newer version's creation. The newer version does away with this illusion entirely, treating both copies as separate styles.

The New Style Manager was a major undertaking which took many months of trial and error to complete, and I'm very excited to finally have the opportunity to share this wonderful upgrade with you all.

No File? No Problem!

I retrofitted the Workbook Manager for Project G with this convenience feature about a month ago, and now Project O users will be able to enjoy it too.

Whereas prior versions kept the "Import" button disabled until the user selected a filename from the "Files" list, that requirement is now dropped from 8.1.0 onward. So, if you click the "Import" button without selecting a filename first, the Workbook Manager will load up a file select window before starting the import -- pretty convenient, huh?

I'm really glad that I found a way to implement this new feature, because I was originally going to create a whole new Workbook Manager from scratch without the "Files" list.

Other Changes

• On the Combox window, the Enter key now triggers the "Select" button.
      • Whenever the Style Manager now deletes a style, it'll delete the style's entire row (instead of just the first four columns).
      • Eliminated the "Search" label from the Workbook Manager.

Technical Changes

• Introduced the "ChooseLanguage" subroutine to the localization module (modLocalizer).
      • Updated a couple of texts within the localization module.
      • Changed how creation dates, modification dates, and credits are presented in the modules.

Future Plans for Project O

I'm going to be honest with you all: ever since 2018 ended, I've been working on Project G almost exclusively, and Project O is only playing catch-up at this point. I do have a couple of big things planned for these workbooks -- for instance, I figured out how to make their talent-ordering mechanics even more efficient -- yet with all of the awesome stuff coming out or being planned for Project G, I'm just not in the right mood to work on Project O right now...especially with the disappointing lack of feedback these workbooks are getting. Seriously, who's actually using these workbooks? I want to know, and I want to know what they like or dislike about them.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the update.
      Last edited by Milt; 5-4-19 at 3:24:41 PM.

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Hello everyone!

The Project O workbooks have been updated to version 8.1.1. This version update was put together to help Project O catch up with its sister project, Project G, so there aren't very many changes this time around.

Here Comes the Workbook...Micromanager?

Having maintained the Workbook Manager for close to three years, it was hard for me to recognize when it was too complicated for what it actually does, but now...it's too complicated for what it actually does. The Workbook Manager's primary function has always been to import data from other workbooks, but its interface had gained a lot of clutter over the years, so I created a new, uncluttered Workbook Manager.

The new Workbook Manager only has two components: a short list of sheets and an "Import" button. To import data from another files with this new feature:

1. Select one or more sheets from the sheet list.
      2. Click the "Import" button.
      3. Select any Excel file from the next prompt.
      4. Click "Open".
      5. Click "Yes" on the last warning prompt.

That's it. Very simple.

Switch Languages with the Language Switch!

I introduced this particular feature into Project G back in April 2019; and now, it's available within Project O. The Language Switch is a feature which changes the workbook's current language; just select a language from a drop-down list and click the "Select" button.

You'll be able to access this feature by clicking on the big Language Switch button on the Workbook Settings sheet or by double-clicking the "Language Name" or "Language ID" settings on the Workbook Settings sheet.

A Minor Upgrade to the Combox Tool

As a brief refresher, the Combox tool is a general-purpose tool wherein the user would select an item from a drop-down list. Its mechanics are super simple: upon load-up, its drop-down list will display its default item; if the user selects a different item and clicks the "Select" button, this tool will return the selected item -- but if the user cancels out, it'll return the default item instead.

The simplicity of this tool makes it a valuable part of Project O's toolbox, and the Workbook Settings sheet puts it to good use; but in earlier versions, it harbored one glaring design flaw: it couldn't distinguish between a selection and a cancellation at all (i.e. closing the window was exactly the same as selecting the default item). While this problem never really interfered with Project O's development, I went ahead and came up with a solution to it.

Starting in 8.1.1, the Combox tool now has another paramater called "Defaulting", which tells the tool to return the default item if it's set to True or to return nothing ("" or -1) if it's set to False. Its default value is True, emulating the tool's mechanics from earlier versions. This parameter is optional, so you may leave it blank. This paramater was also given to the COMBOX() and COMBOXID() functions, of course.

Other Changes

• Eliminated the one-column gap between the settings and the buttons on the Workbook Settings sheet.
      • Merged all of the buttons on the Workbook Settings sheet into one column.
      • Double-clicking the "Workbook Series" and "Workbook Version" settings now loads up a credits window -- thanks to everyone who helped work on Project O!
      • Updated the Information sheet to reflect the New Workbook Manager.
      • Pressing the Enter key on the Item List Editor now triggers the "Import" button.

Technical Changes

• Renamed the "Default" parameter in any function involving the Combox tool to "Value".
      • Added a new boolean parameter into any function involving the Combox tool: "Defaulting".
      • Renamed the private variable, "ItemID", in the Combox tool to "ReturnID".
      • Increased the number of texts within the localization module (modLocalizer) to 262 (previously 260).

Future Plans for Project O

At this time, I don't have any immediate plans for the Project O workbooks. I recently wrapped up development on the second generation of my sister workbooks (Project G), so I will be able to focus on other things. For the time being, though, I'm just going to take a break from developing stuff.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the update!
      Last edited by Milt; 7-3-19 at 5:29:13 PM. Reason: Adding image

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on version update 8.2.1 for Project O. Interested in having a taste of what's coming? Here, take a spoonful.

The Database Manager will be getting a bit of a makeover. For comparison, here's what it previously looked like.

The newer version of the Database Manager will consolidate all of the clickable objects in the userform's lower half into one drop-down list of actions. The new drop-down list will have five actions to choose from:

Name Description
      Update Database Updates the talent database on the Unranked Table sheet. Any invalid findings will cancel the update if found, however.
      Update Database (Ignore Errors) Updates the talent database on the Unranked Table sheet, ignoring all invalid findings in the process.
      Add Finding Adds a new finding to the bottom of the New Findings sheet, copying data from the "Talents and Comment" section.
      Save Finding Saves data from the "Talents and Comment" section into the currently selected finding on the New Findings sheet.
      Delete Finding Deletes the currently selected finding from the New Findings sheet.

The newer, cleaner look should make the Database Manager more comfortable to use for most users (though it's primarily for my use).

Thanks for reading!

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Hey all.

Just want to let everyone know that the latest version, 8.2.1, is now available for download from this thread's OP. No full-blown changelog this time, I'm afraid. There were so many changes and additions to the workbooks since the previous release that writing one would've left me pretty burned out.

Version 8.2.1 is the first version to reach the public which contains our long-awaited perfectly-accurate genome calculator. It was supposed to debut in version 8.2.0 last month, but that version unfortunately never reached the public. On the other hand, version 8.2.0 (and quite possibly all versions starting from 8.0.0!) was tainted by an obscure, yet egregious oversight within its talent-ordering mechanisms -- so its genome calculator still would've been producing inaccurate readings. Version 8.2.1 fixes said oversight, thus setting the golden standard for Project O to follow from here on.

Calculator results from versions 8.2.1 onward (unless otherwise stated) can now be used as evidence in new findings! As long as its verification IDs are included. Verification IDs are 3-digit numbers that the calculator will give you via dialog box after every successful calculation.

Thanks for reading, and have fun!
      -Milt