• PS Gaming
  • Raging
  • Sleeping2
  • Steam Gaming
  • Trolling
  • XBox Gaming
  • Youtuber
  • Zombies
  • View Poll Results: Did I help anyone with this guide?

Voters
    5. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes! Made my life so much easier.

2 40.00%
    • I already had a general idea of how to beat Medulla quickly.

0 0%
    • No, I have a better strategy.

2 40.00%
    • No, the strategy didn't work for me.

1 20.00%
        overtaker9 is offline Novice Wizard

• overtaker9's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Steven DragonBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Class Pet

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Medulla Quick-Kill Guide

Hello! My name is Steven, and if you're reading this, chances are that talking caped Brain with an Ego is giving you anxiety. As somebody with the Brain Teaser badge on 6 characters, I can totally understand why! He used to make me itch, too. Not a fun fight. But after that many runs, it's dawned on me: Medulla can be easy and simple, so long as you're prepared. Heather and I tested extensively, and we've perfected it down to the last detail. So just for you fine folks here on Central, we've put together a 4-turn-kill strategy for that Cerebral Mind-Meddler. Huzzah, and all that!

So, let's start here. After working your way through the Belly of the Beast, the Notochord, and the Cabalist Freaks imbedded within, you'll reach Sepidious's Brain - Medulla's lair. The instance is called "The Headquarters". Upon entering, you'll run up a ramp to find the last challenge between you and Medulla. Everyone's favorite Batman Reference - The Quizzler.

Attachment 627268

This Weasel only has 4,815 health, and his Globulin Minions have even less. He has no cheats, barely any spells in his repertoire, and doesn't hit too hard. No real strategy is needed here - Simply enjoy the simplicity while you can. Take him down and out, climb the next ramp and get ready for the true challenge of this dungeon.

Attachment 627269

Meet Medulla. As you approach, he will make some cocky comments at The Bat and the player. He will patronize Mellori, and then he will do the unthinkable - He will mind-control the friends you've made questing this far through Empyrea; Sparck, Pork and Beans. He will make them his minions for the fight to come. They have some harsh cheats, as you can see on Medulla's wiki page, and so does he. You can check these cheats here: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Creature:Medulla

But none of these cheats will be relevant with the strategy I'm about to present to you, so I won't bother going over them myself.What is relevant is this: Medulla has 100,000 health, and 25% resist to every school except Myth and Shadow, to which he has 50% resist. So any pierce your hitter can obtain is great, but not necessarily needed. My hitter has 6 pierce and still overkills.

What your hitter will need is to be of the fire school, with at least 120 damage. The more damage the better.

Beans is Life. He has 18,000 health, 25% resist to fire, ice, storm and balance, and 50% resist to balance and shadow.

Pork is Fire. He has 25,000 health, 25% resist to storm, life, death, and balance, and 50% resist to fire and shadow.

Sparck is Balance. He has 20,000 health, 25% resist to fire, ice, and storm, and 50% resist to balance and shadow. As I said earlier, pierce is helpful but not necessary.

Let's get into deck setups. First thing I should mention, for anyone who doesn't know: Sharpened Blade comes on a few amulets as an item card, as well as on the pet Enchanted Armament which drops from Gladiator Dimachaerus in Mount Olympus. The amulets are dropped throughout Khrysalis, and also sold for gold from a vendor in the Silent Market. Item Card Sharpened Blade DOES stack with Trained Sharpened Blade. Meaning, if you train the spell Sharpened Blade for Training Points, and enchant a fireblade with it, and you also enchant a second fireblade with a sharpened from an amulet, or your pet, both will activate on a hit.

Second thing I should touch upon is the fact that Dalia's Smoldering Hairdo, which comes from the Professor's Hoard pack in the Crowns Shop, gives the Incindiate Card. This is necessary for our strategy. It works similar to the spell Detonate. Detonate destroys a Damage over Time tick, and deals all of the damage that would be spread over 3 rounds at once. The difference is that Incindiate is an Area of Effect spell, meaning it affects all enemies, whereas Detonate is single-target. Incindiate also DOUBLES the damage from the Damage over Time tick when it's destroyed, rather than simply dealing 100% of the damage.

Now let's get into specifics. The first person who will want to join the duel, I will call Wizard 1 for the rest of the guide, needs to meet one of two requirements. Either they should be a Myth Wizard, or they should have a Myth Mastery Amulet of some sort. These amulets drop in different forms from a variety of places. Waterworks, Tower of the Helephant, secret bosses in Aquila, the gold skeleton key boss Omen Stribog, and the bosses in the Spiritual Grove in Husk are among the drop sources. My first wizard is actually life, and uses an Exalted Myth Mastery amulet from Cronus in Tartarus. But any Myth Mastery works just fine. His main deck has three elemental blades, one trained sharpened blade, and one sharpened blade from his pet Armament. His side deck has an Earthquake Treasure Card, as shown below. If your Wizard 1 is Myth, they can keep the Earthquake in their main deck.

Attachment 627270Attachment 627271

Your second wizard, which we'll call Wiz 2, must be fire. No mastery amulets will change that, unfortunately, as fireblade is only trainable to the fire school. They will want their main deck to look very similar to Wiz 1's, except replace the elemental blades with fireblades, as shown below. Their side deck will want a fireblade treasure card.

Attachment 627272Attachment 627273

Next is your third wizard, which we will call Wiz 3. This is your hitter. They will also, non-negotiably, need to be fire. For my setup, I have an amulet that gives an elemental blade item card that I use. However, as these can be hard to come by, you can replace it with any other fire or universal blade that isn't used elsewhere in this guide, that gives at least 35%.The rest of his main deck should consist of an epic enchant, a scald, and a frenzy. His side deck should include a cleanse charm, as shown below.

Attachment 627274Attachment 627275

Finally, your last wizard, which we'll call Wiz 4. This one can be any school, but preferably also fire. If they are NOT fire, they WILL need a fire mastery amulet. They will also be the character who needs Dalia's Smoldering Hairdo, for Incindiate. Their main deck should simply be a fireblade item card, and the incindiate item card. Their side deck needs a Dark Pact Treasure Card, and an Elemental Blade Treasure Card.

Attachment 627276Attachment 627277

Okay! Now all 4 members of your team have their decks setup. Let's talk about the order in which you will cast your spells.

Wizard 1's spell order doesn't matter much. The blades can be cast in any order. Just make sure you use the Earthquake last, on the turn of your hit. If you use it earlier, more shields and absorbs might be cast afterwards, and you don't want that.

Wizard 2 has nothing but blades, so their order doesn't matter at all.

Wizard 3 is where things get a little more structured. You will want to cast the blade first. Then the Frenzy. Then the Cleanse Charm (In 90% of my runs, Medulla will use Power Nova on turn 2, or turn 3. The weakness left behind can be a pain.) Then use the scald.

Wizard 4 is again, more simple. Blades first in any order. Incindiate last, on the turn of the hit.

Now, in a perfect world, this means your hitter will have 11 useable blades, a frenzy, no weaknesses. Your enemies will have no shields or absorbs due to the earthquake. The hit will be used, and the incindiate will destroy the damage ticks, killing all enemies on the fourth turn. I've put together a table to make this information a little easier to visualize, shown below.

Attachment 627278

Now, the only thing I can think of that could get in the way of your victory is Pork. He can cast an all-target, -55% accuracy debuff. If he does, and people fizzle, you may want to restart. Because on Turn 5, cheats come into play, and everything goes down the drain. However, he doesn't seem to use it very often, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. Other than that, you should do at least 100K damage to all enemies without a problem! I know this guide was kind of long, but I do hope it helps someone. No need to fear Medulla any longer He's also a great drop source for Cabalist Gear, so happy Hunting!
      Last edited by overtaker9; 2-28-19 at 12:40:57 AM. Reason: Typo

TheWizOwl is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Medulla Quick-Kill Guide

Able to replicate this using 2 deaths instead of 2 fires and deer knight instead of scald. Helped to serve as a general guide on what to do. Much appreciated and nice guide. :D

Editing this as I apparently can't make any more posts? Okay... I was able to make a 5 turn strategy for trident as well, using death as a hitter and going first. Skeletal dragon initial hit (x1), overtime on same turn (x2), overtime on 5th turn (x3). Secondary hitter takes out minions on that same turn. :D If you want you can DM me and I can send you the video.
      Last edited by TheWizOwl; 3-18-19 at 10:46:19 PM.

Aaron Mistflame is offline Magus Wizard

• Aaron Mistflame's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Aaron Mistflame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Honey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Heckhound

Mood:
      Relaxed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I spent 3 hours yesterday killing medulla but I'm about to fight him again on a different wizard. I will definitely be using this.

Aaron Mistflame (130 Fire) - Blaine Titan (130 Storm) - Allan Gold (130 Balance)
      Dakota Ravenbrand (130 Myth) - Logan Thief (50 Death) - Blaine Willow (45 Storm)
      Blaine Spirit (41 Death)
      - Blaine (15 Life) - Blaine Pyre (10 Fire)

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Steven DragonBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Class Pet

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by TheWizOwl View Post
      Able to replicate this using 2 deaths instead of 2 fires and deer knight instead of scald. Helped to serve as a general guide on what to do. Much appreciated and nice guide. :D
      You're very welcome! Glad you enjoyed!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mistflame View Post
      I spent 3 hours yesterday killing medulla but I'm about to fight him again on a different wizard. I will definitely be using this.
      Glad I could help then! Next week sometime I will be writing another on Titan. 7-turns. I have the table-format I used in this guide already typed out for Titan, if you need it early feel free to DM me. If not, stay tuned for his guide!

Oxnhorse is offline Adept Wizard

• Oxnhorse's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Timothy Pearlflower
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Master Heidi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armor

Mood:
      Sporty

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by overtaker9 View Post
      Hello! My name is Steven, and if you're reading this, chances are that talking caped Brain with an Ego is giving you anxiety. As somebody with the Brain Teaser badge on 6 characters, I can totally understand why! He used to make me itch, too. Not a fun fight. But after that many runs, it's dawned on me: Medulla can be easy and simple, so long as you're prepared. Heather and I tested extensively, and we've perfected it down to the last detail. So just for you fine folks here on Central, we've put together a 4-turn-kill strategy for that Cerebral Mind-Meddler. Huzzah, and all that!

So, let's start here. After working your way through the Belly of the Beast, the Notochord, and the Cabalist Freaks imbedded within, you'll reach Sepidious's Brain - Medulla's lair. The instance is called "The Headquarters". Upon entering, you'll run up a ramp to find the last challenge between you and Medulla. Everyone's favorite Batman Reference - The Quizzler.

Attachment 627268

This Weasel only has 4,815 health, and his Globulin Minions have even less. He has no cheats, barely any spells in his repertoire, and doesn't hit too hard. No real strategy is needed here - Simply enjoy the simplicity while you can. Take him down and out, climb the next ramp and get ready for the true challenge of this dungeon.

Attachment 627269

Meet Medulla. As you approach, he will make some cocky comments at The Bat and the player. He will patronize Mellori, and then he will do the unthinkable - He will mind-control the friends you've made questing this far through Empyrea; Sparck, Pork and Beans. He will make them his minions for the fight to come. They have some harsh cheats, as you can see on Medulla's wiki page, and so does he. You can check these cheats here: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Creature:Medulla

But none of these cheats will be relevant with the strategy I'm about to present to you, so I won't bother going over them myself.What is relevant is this: Medulla has 100,000 health, and 25% resist to every school except Myth and Shadow, to which he has 50% resist. So any pierce your hitter can obtain is great, but not necessarily needed. My hitter has 6 pierce and still overkills.

What your hitter will need is to be of the fire school, with at least 120 damage. The more damage the better.

Beans is Life. He has 18,000 health, 25% resist to fire, ice, storm and balance, and 50% resist to balance and shadow.

Pork is Fire. He has 25,000 health, 25% resist to storm, life, death, and balance, and 50% resist to fire and shadow.

Sparck is Balance. He has 20,000 health, 25% resist to fire, ice, and storm, and 50% resist to balance and shadow. As I said earlier, pierce is helpful but not necessary.

Let's get into deck setups. First thing I should mention, for anyone who doesn't know: Sharpened Blade comes on a few amulets as an item card, as well as on the pet Enchanted Armament which drops from Gladiator Dimachaerus in Mount Olympus. The amulets are dropped throughout Khrysalis, and also sold for gold from a vendor in the Silent Market. Item Card Sharpened Blade DOES stack with Trained Sharpened Blade. Meaning, if you train the spell Sharpened Blade for Training Points, and enchant a fireblade with it, and you also enchant a second fireblade with a sharpened from an amulet, or your pet, both will activate on a hit.

Second thing I should touch upon is the fact that Dalia's Smoldering Hairdo, which comes from the Professor's Hoard pack in the Crowns Shop, gives the Incindiate Card. This is necessary for our strategy. It works similar to the spell Detonate. Detonate destroys a Damage over Time tick, and deals all of the damage that would be spread over 3 rounds at once. The difference is that Incindiate is an Area of Effect spell, meaning it affects all enemies, whereas Detonate is single-target. Incindiate also DOUBLES the damage from the Damage over Time tick when it's destroyed, rather than simply dealing 100% of the damage.

Now let's get into specifics. The first person who will want to join the duel, I will call Wizard 1 for the rest of the guide, needs to meet one of two requirements. Either they should be a Myth Wizard, or they should have a Myth Mastery Amulet of some sort. These amulets drop in different forms from a variety of places. Waterworks, Tower of the Helephant, secret bosses in Aquila, the gold skeleton key boss Omen Stribog, and the bosses in the Spiritual Grove in Husk are among the drop sources. My first wizard is actually life, and uses an Exalted Myth Mastery amulet from Cronus in Tartarus. But any Myth Mastery works just fine. His main deck has three elemental blades, one trained sharpened blade, and one sharpened blade from his pet Armament. His side deck has an Earthquake Treasure Card, as shown below. If your Wizard 1 is Myth, they can keep the Earthquake in their main deck.

Attachment 627270Attachment 627271

Your second wizard, which we'll call Wiz 2, must be fire. No mastery amulets will change that, unfortunately, as fireblade is only trainable to the fire school. They will want their main deck to look very similar to Wiz 1's, except replace the elemental blades with fireblades, as shown below. Their side deck will want a fireblade treasure card.

Attachment 627272Attachment 627273

Next is your third wizard, which we will call Wiz 3. This is your hitter. They will also, non-negotiably, need to be fire. For my setup, I have an amulet that gives an elemental blade item card that I use. However, as these can be hard to come by, you can replace it with any other fire or universal blade that isn't used elsewhere in this guide, that gives at least 35%.The rest of his main deck should consist of an epic enchant, a scald, and a frenzy. His side deck should include a cleanse charm, as shown below.

Attachment 627274Attachment 627275

Finally, your last wizard, which we'll call Wiz 4. This one can be any school, but preferably also fire. If they are NOT fire, they WILL need a fire mastery amulet. They will also be the character who needs Dalia's Smoldering Hairdo, for Incindiate. Their main deck should simply be a fireblade item card, and the incindiate item card. Their side deck needs a Dark Pact Treasure Card, and an Elemental Blade Treasure Card.

Attachment 627276Attachment 627277

Okay! Now all 4 members of your team have their decks setup. Let's talk about the order in which you will cast your spells.

Wizard 1's spell order doesn't matter much. The blades can be cast in any order. Just make sure you use the Earthquake last, on the turn of your hit. If you use it earlier, more shields and absorbs might be cast afterwards, and you don't want that.

Wizard 2 has nothing but blades, so their order doesn't matter at all.

Wizard 3 is where things get a little more structured. You will want to cast the blade first. Then the Frenzy. Then the Cleanse Charm (In 90% of my runs, Medulla will use Power Nova on turn 2, or turn 3. The weakness left behind can be a pain.) Then use the scald.

Wizard 4 is again, more simple. Blades first in any order. Incindiate last, on the turn of the hit.

Now, in a perfect world, this means your hitter will have 11 useable blades, a frenzy, no weaknesses. Your enemies will have no shields or absorbs due to the earthquake. The hit will be used, and the incindiate will destroy the damage ticks, killing all enemies on the fourth turn. I've put together a table to make this information a little easier to visualize, shown below.

Attachment 627278

Now, the only thing I can think of that could get in the way of your victory is Pork. He can cast an all-target, -55% accuracy debuff. If he does, and people fizzle, you may want to restart. Because on Turn 5, cheats come into play, and everything goes down the drain. However, he doesn't seem to use it very often, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. Other than that, you should do at least 100K damage to all enemies without a problem! I know this guide was kind of long, but I do hope it helps someone. No need to fear Medulla any longer He's also a great drop source for Cabalist Gear, so happy Hunting!
      Sorry for the rant, but i don't know where else to post this.

I have tried on multiple platforms and multiple computers, but no matter what I am ALWAYS unable to see my cards during the Medulla fight.

It is one of several fights in Sepidous that I can't use ANYTHING properly. No words, deck, potions, health, allies or enemies stats are available to me.

If I leave the fight to use a potion, i can see it, I return to the same problem.
      @Sparck: I don't know why KI created a fight with the intentions that I cannot finish a portion of Empyrea, but at L129 Life I am EXTREMELY irritated at being unable to finish a portion of the game, when everyone around me have no issues like me.

Kane Dawnwalker, L129 Life

On Sunday night 2 Myth players were rather annoyed that I couldn't perform like them and I don't blame them.

Spellbinder is online now Legendary Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post

I have tried on multiple platforms and multiple computers, but no matter what I am ALWAYS unable to see my cards during the Medulla fight.

It is one of several fights in Sepidous that I can't use ANYTHING properly. No words, deck, potions, health, allies or enemies stats are available to me.

If I leave the fight to use a potion, i can see it, I return to the same problem.
      @Sparck: I don't know why KI created a fight with the intentions that I cannot finish a portion of Empyrea, but at L129 Life I am EXTREMELY irritated at being unable to finish a portion of the game, when everyone around me have no issues like me.

On Sunday night 2 Myth players were rather annoyed that I couldn't perform like them and I don't blame them.
      Sounds like sime major bug on your game that you should email KI about.
      Good luck and hope they can help you quickly!
      Last edited by Spellbinder; 12-16-19 at 1:53:16 AM.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Steven DragonBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fire Class Pet

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Oxnhorse View Post

Definitely the wrong forum, BUT... Do me a favor and try pressing Control and G together next time it happens. See if you fix your problem. It sounds like it's auto-disabling your UI. Which is weird, it shouldn't do that. But Ctrl+G is the button combo to disable/enable your UI, for screenshots or what-have-you. If you hit the buttons, maybe it'll re-enable it?

Good Luck,
      -Steven