----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Derby Gathering IV - February 16th

Since there were some newcomers to derby at the gathering, figured I'd share a post I just created on the KI Feedback forum.

Derby - the kinder, more thrilling PvP

If you have any suggestions, comments to add, please do! Maybe KI will pay more attention if they think there really ARE people interested in derby!

Casp

phantomslick7272 is offline Journeyman Wizard

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Caspeen View Post
      Since there were some newcomers to derby at the gathering, figured I'd share a post I just created on the KI Feedback forum.

Derby - the kinder, more thrilling PvP

If you have any suggestions, comments to add, please do! Maybe KI will pay more attention if they think there really ARE people interested in derby!

Casp
      I love your ideas! Especially being able to watch the races, that seems like a no brainer, why wasn't that there from the start?

The other things I'd like to see is an option for races for people with stats 250 or less maybe for people that want to try racing but don't want be disheartened by pets flying by them at warp speeds.

Also and this is kind of a pipe dream but maybe an alternative way to cheer without feeling like you've just done hand/arm exercises at the gym. (this is why my husband won't play that much he doesn't think it's good for your hands, or your computer)

Third thing is visibility. I don't know how one would do this but, honestly I'm not sure the new generation of wizards even know about derby. It's hard to find out when you go there and no one is there.

That being said maybe a player vs. computer mode should be introduced. Even for a ranking and tickets (separate from the PVP one) This would give people another option for tickets which I know is something they want, especially since many do not like PVP, and therefore feel tickets are not an option (daily assignments give very few) I believe this would also bring more visibility and therefore more people trying out the PVP side of things.

Those are my adds, whacha think?

Anyway, right now I'm going to show my niece and nephew how to do this because I think the younger generation would really enjoy it. Then my plan is to try and get at least the 4 of us (niece, nephew, husband, myself) to the derby at the same time, so we can have some real races, I will leave a post on Central every time we do this and invite whoever may be so inclined to join us. (Of course that will probably work better in the Summer since we're overseas and a bit ahead of the US time wise )

Caspeen is offline W101C Tournament Master
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>phantomslick7272 View Post
      I love your ideas! Especially being able to watch the races, that seems like a no brainer, why wasn't that there from the start?
      I know, right? And my whole thing is why give these things to Arena PvP and NOT Derby?! To me this is ESPECIALLY so for in game tournaments where many PvP matches aren't finished at the end of the time limit and a winner is picked at random. C'mon - this would NEVER happen in a Derby tournament - the max a race would last is like 3 or 4 minutes!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomslick7272 View Post
      The other things I'd like to see is an option for races for people with stats 250 or less maybe for people that want to try racing but don't want be disheartened by pets flying by them at warp speeds.
      Hmmm, not sure how I feel about this one. One one hand, sure, get more people into ranked, but at the same time, maybe that's what you use Practice for? Gotta say, what got me really into derby WAS getting smashed time and time again, mostly by a pet named Fluffy. I thought I knew what I was doing and yet Fluffy beat me by a mile each time. I wanna say it took me maybe 30 or so races before I FINALLY beat Fluffy. So, don't know that I'm a fan of nerfing derby like this - for those who take a whipping and quit, perhaps practice races are more their speed?

Also and this is kind of a pipe dream but maybe an alternative way to cheer without feeling like you've just done hand/arm exercises at the gym. (this is why my husband won't play that much he doesn't think it's good for your hands, or your computer)
      Hahaha, maybe you and your husband should run as a team, like how my daughters and I got started in derby. She did the abilities, I did the space bar and arrows. What an advantage that was!
      Third thing is visibility. I don't know how one would do this but, honestly I'm not sure the new generation of wizards even know about derby. It's hard to find out when you go there and no one is there.
      Agree that KI could do more - WAY more - but as it is there is a quest to do a derby race. I think it's confusing as heck so I agree it could be better.

That being said maybe a player vs. computer mode should be introduced. Even for a ranking and tickets (separate from the PVP one) This would give people another option for tickets which I know is something they want, especially since many do not like PVP, and therefore feel tickets are not an option (daily assignments give very few) I believe this would also bring more visibility and therefore more people trying out the PVP side of things.
      Another one that I'm not sure about. I DO think that Player v Computer would be GREAT for practice - you don't get any better racing yourself, after all, and it certainly isn't fun! So, you join a practice match, and if the timer runs down and you're added into a race, the game will add enough extra racers to make it a 1v4 race. Brilliant idea. Even better - make adding bots an option so that if you want to run by yourself, or with a friend only (as in Central Derby Tournaments) you still can. Now that would be awesome.

But racing the computer for ranked? Sorry, me no likey. Maybe to fill a race so there are always four people in a race - sure. But there needs to be at least two ACTUAL players to ensure it's still PLAYER vs PLAYER. Player vs Player vs bot vs bot...sure.
      Those are my adds, whacha think?
      Thoughts above. However, what I REALLY think is you should post ideas on the thread itself instead of this chat. If KI truly does read that forum then I think it's important that not only do they see great ideas, but they see people excited about any new idea of derby.

Lastly, I really do like your idea about a regular racing time. Methinks I'll start with a post and based on responses come up with a poll. Wonderful idea!

Casp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234