----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Introducing Project G!

Evening all.

Version 2.4.0 has been released. Hope you all enjoy this massive update and have a happy 12th anniversary of Wiz!

Milt is offline Archmage Wizard

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Evening everyone.

The time has come for me to warn you all of an upcoming removal of content from Project G well in advance. In the next update, version 2.4.1, the legacy version of the Workbook Manager will be removed entirely.

As long-time users surely know, the Workbook Manager is a tool used specifically for importing data (gardens, seeds, types, and settings) from other Project G workbooks over to its host. For over a year now, there had been two versions of this tool: the legacy one -- which had been around since the very beginning -- and the modern one -- which was first introduced in version 2.2.1 (June 2019). There aren't very many differences between the two anymore since the legacy version had been modified so heavily, but the legacy version had unnecessary features that were eliminated from the modern version.

Due to its complexity and how much more difficult its older code was to maintain, the legacy version's fate was sealed: it was considered deprecated and destined to be removed. I originally kept it around as a guinea pig to help me test out Project G's userform-switching mechanics; but now that there's no room left for new settings, now was the time to finally say goodbye.

In its place will be a new setting with hopefully more utility value: the ability to load the Combox tool with its drop-down list already dropped down. With this setting enabled, users will be able to see up to 8 list items at once as soon as the tool loads. This is a convenience feature I've been waiting to implement for a long while; but until now, I hadn't been able to decide how to implement it. Hopefully it'll improve someone's experience out there.

Thanks for understanding.
      -Milt

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Hey all.

An unintended bug was recently discovered in the modern version of the Garden Manager in version 2.4.0.

Normally, when you attempt to modify the seed type or age level of an existing plant in the modern Garden Manager, it'll automatically set itself to Replant Mode, which basically resets the plant's timers once you click the "Replant" button. This mechanic was put in place to prevent certain unintended behaviors from emerging such as not resetting the timers to reflect the new seed type/age level or promoting plants beyond Elder.

In version 2.4.0, I quietly added in the ability to toggle Add Mode on/off for existing plants by double-clicking the plant name text box. (Note: all double-clickable boxes have grey borders.) This feature is useful for occasions where you want to add a new plant but don't want to waste time finding the blank item in the drop-down field. Again, this feature only exists in the modern version; in the legacy version, double-clicking the plant name drop-down list loaded a prompt for renaming an existing plant.

Consequently, the bug in question was an oversight in the double-click functionality's code. Because the Garden Manager has no way to trigger Replant Mode in Add Mode nor remember to keep the trigger enforced between mode changes, this oversight allows the user to bypass Replant Mode easily.

This bug has since been fixed and will be applied in version 2.4.1 onward. In future versions, switching back from Add Mode will reset the plant's seed type and age level back to their original values.

Thanks for understanding.
      -Milt

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Afternoon everyone.

I'm very pleased to announce another new feature coming to Project G relatively soon. This one's exciting: from both a technical level and a quality-of-life level.

Ever get that feeling where you have a laundry list of promotions and harvests, but dread having to boot up the Garden Manager for each and every one? So many options to choose from at once; but if you're only going in there to click "Promote" or "Harvest", all those extra options seem no better than on-screen clutter. And don't you wish the Garden Manager would just close itself after pressing that button? The Garden Manager leaves no plant unturned, but the Alert Manager filters out the ones without alerts; why try to remember which plant need your attention still when the Alert Manager's already keeping track? Because you entered something into the Event Time field you didn't want to retype? Very good point, actually. Working with event times is no fun, and I'm painfully aware of this too. It took me quite a long time to figure out how to fine-tune them just right.

Streamlining the Alert Manager was a goal I've had in mind for a very long time; but up until now, I had neither the confidence nor the appetite to make it happen. Redirecting users to the Garden Manager was just good enough -- and for most of Project G's history, the only practical solution. If only we could promote or harvest our plants without having to deal with the manager...

Well, once version update 2.4.1 comes out, the remote will be in your hands.

This is a pipe dream come true! I'm so looking forward to releasing this update.

Thanks for reading!
      -Milt

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Hey all, version update 2.5.0 is here at least! Here are the update notes for it.

Seed Base Updates

The following seed types were updated throughout the month of September:

• None

The Item Finder

Yep. Another brand-new utility. Can't get enough of them!

The Item Finder does what you'd expect: find items on certain sheets. It'll allow you to search for plants, seeds, styles, or workbook settings. Once selected, the Item Finder will show you the item's location within the workbook. From there, you can select a different item if you'd like or close out once you're done.

You can access this new utility quite easily: just click the "Item Finder" button on the Workbook Settings sheet.

A Legacy No More

The original Workbook Manager, legacied back in version 2.2.1 (June 2019), was finally removed as of this update. To those of you who were still using this legacy version beyond its retirement, I am sorry. I originally promised to remove it by Generation 3, but the burden of maintaining its older code had become a bit too much for me. You are welcome to move onto the newer version, which I promise you is easier to use. And easier on the eyes too.

The legacy versions of the Garden Manager and Style Manager are still available for the time being. There may come a point where they too will become too burdensome to keep around, however. They'll still be removed by Generation 3 at the very latest.

See More Options At Once!

With the removal of the legacy Workbook Manager, the setting that had allowed users to continue using it was rendered useless. Seeing how I wasn't about to let valuable setting space go to waste, I replaced it with a brand-new setting: "Load Combox with list dropped down".

In case you didn't know, Combox is a general-purpose utility that prompts users to select an item from a drop-down list. It's been on the books since late 2018 and has been immensely invaluable to its operations ever since.

Normally, you're only able to see the currently selected item in the drop-down field; to view more options at once, you would have to click the drop-down button. With this new setting toggled on, Combox will show you this extended list immediately after loading.

Love the sound of that convenience? Give it a try sometime!

Cleaner Text Injections

I'm not sure how many of you have noticed yet, but Project G's localization tools got completely overhauled between 2.3.4 and 2.4.0. The REND() function was streamlined to inject additional text in a way that feels much more natural.

How so? In 2.3.4, coders like myself would've had to write up expressions like this:

REND(9000, ogeDefault, "Storm-Boon;Storm-Giver;Storm-Ward", ";")

From 2.4.0 onward, the same expression would be written like this:

REND(9000, "Storm-Boon", "Storm-Giver", "Storm-Ward")

See how much cleaner it looks? This overhaul was originally planned for Generation 3, but given how unlikely it's coming out for the foreseeable feature, I was better off implementing it now.

The INJECT() function also got reworked. Many times, in fact. But the rework that went into 2.4.0 wasn't as efficient or as user-friendly as I would've wanted. So I went back to the drawing board and implemented something else I ended up being a lot happier with.

Without going deep into the technical details, I basically decided to split the INJECT() function into two. Most of the original code went into a new function called InjX(), which REND() will rely on to handle all those text injections. InjX() is a private function, however, meaning it can't be used outside the localizer; this is where INJECT() steps in, now serving as its prime middleman.

To use the new INJECT() function, first enter the original expression as always, followed by the "injection site" characters (which are no longer optional), followed by as many additional texts as you want.

INJECT("__ __!", "__", "Hello", "world") --> "Hello world!"

Make sure to choose injection site characters that won't be in the additional texts, otherwise this function will not work properly.

And finally, for those of you who may be tinkering around with Project G's localizer, do not use the INJECT() function inside REND() anymore, always stick with InjX(). This advice may seem obvious now that INJECT() is merely a translation layer for InjX(), but I must warn you: it's definitely not a one-to-one perfect translation. There will be crashes.

Other Changes

• The Alert Manager now offers the option to promote or harvest plants directly through a short series of prompts.
      • The Texbox utility was revamped with the ability to scale up in size cleanly.
      • Introduced a new argument to the TEXBOX() function called Upsize, which increases the number of lines within the text box by up to 15.
      • The newer Garden Manager now resets the selected plant's seed type and age level back to their original values after toggling out of Add Mode via double-clicking the Plant Name text box.
      • The newer Garden Manager now includes the event time in its confirmation prompts for adding, replanting, promoting, or harvesting plants.
      • Fixed a typo where the Garden Manager, while in Replant Mode, would ask if you wanted to "promote" your plant rather than "replant".
      • On the Alert Manager, double-clicking the plant list now deselects the selected plant.
      • The Item List Editor no longer gives a save prompt if the user hasn't attempted to modify their item list.

Technical Changes

• Introduced the InputDateTime() property into modPublicProperties, which prompts the user to enter a date-time value. The prompt will continuously loop until the users enters a valid date-time or cancels the prompt, which would return the default date-time instead.
      • Introduced the InputBoolean() property into modPublicProperties, which prompts the user to select either True or False from a drop-down list.
      • The PNPICK() and SNPICK() functions now return zero (0) instead of one (1) whenever the user sets their Defaulting arguments to False and cancels out of the selection prompt, putting them in line with PSNPICK().
      • Introduced the OgeLanguageBuffer type into modPublicConstants.
      • The REND() function's Text_ID argument is now of type OgeLanguageBuffer, giving users the option to return texts from other languages in a more convenient manner.
      • Introduced the Upheight argument into the Texbox utility's GetText() function, which augments the height of its text box by up to 255 units.
      • Introduced the BuildAbout and BuildCopyright properties into ThisWorkbook; they'll be used primarily for Project G's about info.
      • The BuildSeries property within ThisWorkbook was expanded to include BuildEra, BuildSubseriesID, and BuildVersion. (NOTE -- Do not use this property for compatibility checks; always use BuildSeriesID instead.)
      • The BuildSubseriesID property within ThisWorkbook was incremented up to 3 to help alleviate incompatibility issues with older Gen. 2 workbooks.
      • Cleaned up how style colors were applied across all userforms.
      • Other minor changes.

Future Plans for Project G

To be perfectly honest, Project G is done. I'm done. I've got nothing left on my wishlist: it's the definitive garden-tracker I've always wanted. As such, I'll be placing Project G on the backburner: it'll only receive seed base updates, bug fixes, and additional minor tweaks from here on. I am open to suggestions for new content or features, just please keep them small in scale.

Thank you all for your support over the years. I hope you enjoy all that Project G has to offer.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567