Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Beginner's Illustrated Guide to Wizard101

____________________________________________________________________________________________
      Note: This guide is currently a WIP (Work in Progress).

Hello there, and welcome to the wondrous and magical world of Wizard101! Wizard101 is a very unique game, full of beautiful environments to explore, fun activities to enjoy and enthralling story arcs to play through and entertaining gameplay. However, the game certainly has a lot of different gameplay mechanics and activities and it all can be rather overwhelming and difficult to grasp for a first-time player or even a returning player who has been away for long enough, but that's exactly the reason why I made this guide! I have created this guide to help with the confusion and allow for an easier transition into becoming a dedicated player of the game. Of course, you'll need to understand how everything works before that can really happen, but that's what this guide is for.

So, without further ado, I will separate this guide into multiple sections for a more clean look and for better comprehension. This post may be rather long, but I believe it will prove helpful if you're new to the game or just need a refresher. If you wish, you can always return to this guide later and even bookmark it if needed. In addition, a huge thanks in advance to @
      Expelliarmus for the graphics!
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________

Warning: When you create a new character, the appearance you choose at the beginning (hairstyle, color, etc) is permanent, along with the name, school and gender chosen. Keep this in mind before you give your character green hair and name them Jordan GreenPants.

Currently, there are three main storyline arcs in Wizard101, as well as two side ones. The first arc starts in Wizard City and finishes at the end of Dragonspyre (five worlds). The second arc begins after Dragonspyre, in the world of Celestia, and finishes at the end of Khrysalis (again, five worlds). The currently ongoing and third arc begins after Khrysalis, in the world of Polaris. The first side arc begins in the world of Grizzleheim (which you can start at level 20) and with the second being in Wysteria (which you can begin at level 25).

For the sake of spoilers (and my fingers), I won't be covering the second two, just the beginning of the first arc (and by this, I mean the very beginning).

Before you begin the process of customizing your character, you will be brought to the following scene:

The headmaster has been looking for their potential savior for a while now, and he thinks it might be you! (Because, you know, we wouldn't have a game otherwise.)

This is the part where you choose a school, or "class" if you will. You can choose from the three elemental schools, fire, ice and storm, as well as the three spiritual schools, death, myth and life, and of course, balance, the third (or rather seventh) wheel. Note that this too is irreversible, and since there are only six character slots and seven schools, unless you create another account, you will be forced to leave at least one school out if you make a character for the other six. After answering the questions on the quiz (or skipping it), you will see any of the following results depending on your answers or the school selected when skipping the test. If you are unhappy with the school the test gives you in the scenario you didn't skip it, just click the "Try Again" button.

Once you have finished that, you'll be brought to character customization.

As much of a great mage the Headmaster is, even he isn't immune to the effects of old age. Help him out by selecting your gender. (Again, do remember that this is irreversible.)

This is the part where you begin to choose your actual appearance. Hairstyle, color, facial appearance, etc. And yet again, do remember that this is permanent, so be absolutely certain this is what you want.

Now you get to choose the colors of your starting gear. Unfortunately, the outfit you see in the screenshot is the only one that's available to begin with so you're only able to select the colors. And yes, this is permanent too, and is what your character will be wearing when you don't have any gear equipped.

And finally, you're at the last section of character customization, the part where you get to choose your name. There are many different possible combinations to choose from, although the grand majority of the first names are gender specific and only available if you're a certain gender. Also irreversible, blah blah blah, you know the drill.

(You can also click here to see all potential naming options.)

Now that you're done with character customization, you will be brought to the tutorial! When you first select your character for the first time, you will be brought to the game tutorial before entering the actual game.

Whenever you need to talk to a NPC, a large question mark will appear over their head, like so. Press either "x" on your keyboard or use your mouse to trigger their dialogue.

It doesn't screenshot well, but after this, the screen begins to transition over to the tower, like so.

You enter the tower, and are greeted by the scene of a vampiric looking guy with black pits for eyes. Apparently, his name is Malistaire.

And so like any good headmaster would do, after practically kidnapping you and forcing you to be a wizard, he sends you off into battle instead of preforming an OHKO move on everyone right then and there. But then again, this is a tutorial, so you have to learn combat somehow.

Although it doesn't really matter what spell you choose since you can't actually lose during the tutorial, I chose the troll spell for dealing slightly higher damage for the same pip cost (more on what pips are later).

When a target is highlighted, it means you can target them. For enemies, this means things like attack spells or debuffs, and for allies, this means things like buffs like blades (which you'll find out about later) and healing spells. I attack the first guy using troll due to the slightly higher damage, but it still doesn't really matter which target you choose here.

After that, Ambrose's goldfish memory suddenly kicks in and he tries to teach you about health and mana, somehow forgetting that the two of you were in the middle of a duel to the death.

This is another one of the images that doesn't screenshot well, but Ambrose then refills your health and mana globes to where they were previously.

Once again, I focus my attacks on the first guy.

Remember when I mentioned you'd be learning about heals? This is the part where you do. Since you're close to becoming a wizard shish-kabob, you're forced to use a healing spell.

(Section currently in progress.)

Wizard101 is a rather simplistic game to learn, with a card and turn-based battle system which makes it a wonderful pick for younger players and for the casual gamer, although that doesn't mean it isn't a bit jarring at first. But have no fear, for the Beginner's Guide is here! Once you grasp some of the basics of dueling, you'll be a master wizard in no time!

Hoo boy, this is going to be a long one. Indeed, in Wizard101, there are many activities aside from questing you can choose to partake in. Gardening, Crafting (which will be explained in it's own section), PvP, Fishing, Pet Training (which will actually be covered in it's own section as well) and more recently, Jewel Socketing (also has it's own section) and Monsterology. I've separated the activities into different sections to better describe and explain these side-activities. I'll be starting off with gardening since it's something I'm more familiar with, and since it's one of the original side-activities of the game, before things like fishing and monsterology existed (and because I'm old school).

Gardening

PvP

Fishing

Monsterology

Last edited by Jasmine FireBlade; 1-18-18 at 5:50:50 PM. Reason: Updates to Storyline Section
      Thank you to Mad Hatter, Camille and aquatiger975 for the graphics.

Zarin64 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Zarin64's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Corwin Swiftcatcher
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Cat, Red Ghost, Enchanted Armament, Pixie Queen 57 (Card)

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Beginner's Illustrated Guide to Wizard101

The structure is promising; I would add Crafting and Pet Hatching/Training to the "List of Activities".
      My wizards: Corwin Swiftcatcher (Death), Alexandra Winterflower (Ice), Darby Firebreeze (Fire), Katie Wildheart (Storm), Heather (Life), Sarah LionHeart (Myth).

Icy BlackHeart is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Icy BlackHeart's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sabrina, Maria, Rylee, Alexis, Alexandria, Brecken, Tristan, Tara, Marissa, Evan, Sydney, Ryan, Jack
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Way too many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Way too many

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Ooo this would definitely help out the new players joining if they are confused

Jasmine FireBlade is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Jasmine FireBlade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jasmine FireBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Raven
      ----

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I haven't forgotten about this guide, I've just been very busy with life lately and haven't had a bunch of time, and the recent update of monsterology was unexpected and, well, the guide is just going to take a lot of work in general, and it's a bit overwhelming and too much for what I can handle on my limited time frame at the moment. Rest assured, the guide will be finished, and I will try to do so during the Summer.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jasmine FireBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Raven
      ----

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I realize I haven't updated this guide for about a month now, and I apologize for that. The good news is that I should have more time during the Summer to dedicate to this guide so I can finish it. The trickiest part will probably be Monsterology though, since I wasn't expecting another addition like that. Nevertheless, I'll figure it out and see what I can do soon.

myang7 is offline Novice Wizard

• myang7's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Scarlet Fireblossom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Harley
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Spellwrit Screamer

Mood:
      Bored

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

It looks great so far, the format seems to be well put together! Don't worry about monstrology and fishing being newer concepts in the game, because they are pretty straight forward (especially since monstrology has some crafting and myth wizard elements to it). I'm sure your guide will help many new wizards; I wish you luck with it!
      Last edited by myang7; 6-25-17 at 8:17:27 PM. Reason: Font change

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jasmine FireBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Raven
      ----

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Alright, so I just tried to update the "Storyline" portion of the guide, but my internet isn't being very kind to me right now and if I saved the changes, then the entire format would of screwed up. Again, I do very much intend to finish this guide, but right now I'm going to have to wait until my net cooperates with me a bit more. Rest assured, the updates will come, it just might take a while.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jasmine FireBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Raven
      ----

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Finally managed to update this dang thing. While the first section is still incomplete, I managed to update a significant portion of it. I should be able to update it with the tutorial stuff in a day or so.

Dylan Windwalker is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Dylan Windwalker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Dylan Windwalker (Balance), Talon FrostFountain (Ice), Valerian JadeBlade (Life),
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Lily
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Arnament (Mc Punishment, Mc Fairy, Balance Dealer, Add Balance, Balance Assailant)

Mood:
      Goofy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

It's looking good so far, can't wait to see the final thing

Signature created by Expelliarmus in Blue Nouveau Designs, thanks!
      Dylan Windwalker: Feel Free to stop by and ask me for any help by Visitor Messages/Private Messages! (I'll try to help whenever I'm possible)

HoodedPotato is offline Apprentice Wizard

Mood:
      Meh!

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Wow! This looks like it'll be an amazing guide! One question though: how did you make the titles of the different sections? I love them :D.
      Leesha StarForge - 120 Storm | Leesha Winter - 120 Ice | Leesha EarthShade - 81 Balance | Luke Firetalon - 69 Fire |
      Leesha JadeTalon - 40 something Life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast