AluraMist is offline Wiki Master

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Wiki To-Do List (upd. Feb. 1)

@RedValkyre99 and maybe @Monochromatic Bunny ... regarding coding ??

I had asked (somewhere, but can't find the post) why the Items listed on Item Card pages are now showing in the "correct" alphabetical format, which puts the higher level items (like 100, 110) at the top of the list, instead of at the end of the list.

RV mentioned that this is because of the recent changes to have those Items feed automatically to the Item Card pages now.

Great!! We can leave it like that. Having said that ...

I am tripping all over myself as I patrol the edits. Finding it hard to remember that the higher levels are listed first. It just seems unnatural. My brain just doesn't work that way. No comments please.

See this one example: ItemCard:Rebirth. And on that edit, I manually listed them with the higher levels first, because I saw that @Pyro manually changed all of the items like that in a previous edit, saying "correctly alphabetized items".

Then, I remembered that Chariity was working on fixing that issue on the Wiki. In Post #1 on this thread, one of the projects is to "finish Zero-padding Category names".

Chariity did start working on this. One example of a completed Category section was the Storm School Rings , which now lists the higher level items last.

In comparison, the Storm School Robes Category was not converted yet, and has the higher level items first.

I don't want to say that I have any idea what is involved with coding for this, because I don't.

But I did remember this one post where Chariity explained something to Uune who asked about the coding and the lists. See Post #3.

Does any of that info help with steering the coding in that direction?

AM
      Last edited by AluraMist; 8-11-17 at 6:49:17 PM. Reason: spelling
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

RedValkyre99 is offline Wiki Master

Mood:
      Cheerful

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

AluraMist,
      Category sorting and array sorting are apples and oranges. Category sorting has provisions for padding via a sort key. Array sorting is strictly a string sort. The only alternative that I can think of is to do a string replace in order to zero-pad the numbers based on a pattern, then array sort, and then remove the pad. Sounds simple written that way, but the implementation isn't nearly so straightforward (at least it isn't obvious to me that it is).
      Regards,
      RedValkyre99

Milt is online now Archmage Wizard

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Hey Wiki Masters,

Since Template:SeedInfobox is on the docket for future template changes, I would like to suggest two changes before the actual revamp takes place.

My first suggestion is revising the documentation descriptions for the template fields youngtime, maturetime, and eldertime so that they reflect how its values are actually supposed to be formatted. For example, instances of "26 hours" should be replaced with "26:00 hours", because the descriptions make it clear that minutes are supposed to be included.

Down below is the current description for the youngtime field ("Old") and my proposed revision for it ("New").

Quote Originally Posted by Old
      The real time in Hours and Minutes it takes for the plant to go from seedling to young (e.g. 26 hours)
      This time should be pest-free and like/dislike-free as these slow down or speed up growth rates.
      Quote Originally Posted by New
      The real time in Hours and Minutes it takes for the plant to promote from seedling to young (e.g. 26:00 hours)
      This time should be taken in an environment without any positive or negative growth rate modifiers (pests, likes, dislikes, etc.) like an empty dormitory.
      I also rewrote the second sentence so that it provides clearer instructions to the reader and recommends an empty dormitory as a possible location to collect those time values.

My second suggestion is merging the "Likes/Dislikes" section and the "Like Effects on Maturity Times" into one clean table. I think merging these two sections together will not only make the like/dislike and growth rate data more presentable on the pages, but it would definitely help people like me keep track of which likes or dislikes still don't have confirmed modifier values yet.

Here's how I'm currently picturing the table in my head (although the final product will no doubt be much prettier). I'll be using the Goose Tree's likes and dislikes for this demonstration.

And here are the fields that could be introduced into the template to make such a table a reality.

Code:
      | mod1 = +25%
      | modlist1 = 
      Cherry Blossom;
      Tropical Garden Gnome;

| mod2 = +15%
      | modlist2 =
      Botanical Gardens;
      Red Barn Farm;

| mod3 = +10%
      | modlist3 = 
      Deadly Fly Trap;
      Frozen Fly Trap;
      Pixie;
      Venus Fly Trap;

| mod4 = -25%
      | modlist4 =
      Burning Snap Dragon;
      Maelstrom Snap Dragon;
      Snap Dragon;
      Stinkweed;

| unkmodlist =
      The "mod#" and "modlist#" fields represent the table's two columns, and the number of "mod#" fields being utilized represents the number of rows within that table. The "unkmodlist" field is where all of the remaining items will go if they don't have confirmed modifier values yet; coincidentally, the Goose Tree doesn't have any more unknown modifiers... at least that I'm aware of.

Thanks for hearing me out!
      Last edited by Milt; 3-12-18 at 4:34:55 PM. Reason: Cleaning up

Zane is offline Wiki Master

• Zane's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Robert Winterbreeze
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice

Mood:
      Editing

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
      Hey Wiki Masters,

My first suggestion is revising the documentation descriptions for the template fields youngtime, maturetime, and eldertime so that they reflect how its values are actually supposed to be formatted. For example, instances of "26 hours" should be replaced with "26:00 hours", because the descriptions make it clear that minutes are supposed to be included.
      My second suggestion is merging the "Likes/Dislikes" section and the "Like Effects on Maturity Times" into one clean table. I think merging these two sections together will not only make the like/dislike and growth rate data more presentable on the pages, but it would definitely help people like me keep track of which likes or dislikes still don't have confirmed modifier values yet.
      I made changes to the template doc and I also implemented the changes you suggested in terms of combining Likes/Dislikes and their intended effects. I need to clean up the test code (it's a mess rn lol) a bit before moving it over to the actual SeedInfobox template, but here is a comparison of a seed page with the suggestions you made implemented and the old version of the page:

New Honey Sickle
      Old Honey Sickle
      Does this look clean? Is this what you were looking for? Does anyone have any objections to this change?

Once I clean up the test code a bit it'll be good to move over, but if there any objections to the change I'd like to hear them before I revise the actual infobox.
      "Who is them all, but individual mes following the path of themselves and others" - Pyro
      |PvP Competition|Forum Leaders|FAQ|My Wizards|Wizard101 Wiki|

Rayzer is offline Exalted

• Rayzer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  The Fairycaller Clan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Moose
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Bloodbat

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

I hate to say it but I find the old easier to read, but either is fine.
      eidt: When I'm looking at likes and dislikes, I don't really care what the values are, just the items.
      Last edited by Rayzer; 3-18-18 at 11:07:38 PM.
      Thanks to Ashley Frost for the Signature

AluraMist is offline Wiki Master

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Hey Wiki Masters,

Since Template:SeedInfobox is on the docket for future template changes, I would like to suggest two changes before the actual revamp takes place.

Down below is the current description for the youngtime field ("Old") and my proposed revision for it ("New").

I also rewrote the second sentence so that it provides clearer instructions to the reader and recommends an empty dormitory as a possible location to collect those time values.

Here's how I'm currently picturing the table in my head (although the final product will no doubt be much prettier). I'll be using the Goose Tree's likes and dislikes for this demonstration.

And here are the fields that could be introduced into the template to make such a table a reality.

Code:
      | mod1 = +25%
      | modlist1 = 
      Cherry Blossom;
      Tropical Garden Gnome;

| mod2 = +15%
      | modlist2 =
      Botanical Gardens;
      Red Barn Farm;

| mod3 = +10%
      | modlist3 = 
      Deadly Fly Trap;
      Frozen Fly Trap;
      Pixie;
      Venus Fly Trap;

| mod4 = -25%
      | modlist4 =
      Burning Snap Dragon;
      Maelstrom Snap Dragon;
      Snap Dragon;
      Stinkweed;

| unkmodlist =
      The "mod#" and "modlist#" fields represent the table's two columns, and the number of "mod#" fields being utilized represents the number of rows within that table. The "unkmodlist" field is where all of the remaining items will go if they don't have confirmed modifier values yet; coincidentally, the Goose Tree doesn't have any more unknown modifiers... at least that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
      I made changes to the template doc and I also implemented the changes you suggested in terms of combining Likes/Dislikes and their intended effects. I need to clean up the test code (it's a mess rn lol) a bit before moving it over to the actual SeedInfobox template, but here is a comparison of a seed page with the suggestions you made implemented and the old version of the page:

New Honey Sickle
      Old Honey Sickle
      Does this look clean? Is this what you were looking for? Does anyone have any objections to this change?

Once I clean up the test code a bit it'll be good to move over, but if there any objections to the change I'd like to hear them before I revise the actual infobox.
      One minor edit, which I just did on the New Page ...

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki...7&oldid=556137

I added one blank line after each 'modlist', as Milt showed in his post. That follows the setup used whenever we have a semi-colon separated list, like the ones on that same page for 'cardpacks', 'fishchestlocations', and 'gardenneeds'. Also on the fields below that for the gear, etc.

IMO, that makes it easier to read the page when editing, so that all of the fields and lists don't run together:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki...le&action=edit

AluraMist
      Last edited by AluraMist; 3-18-18 at 11:25:11 PM. Reason: Added link to 'editing' screen
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

New Honey Sickle
      Old Honey Sickle

Oh my word, thank you so much for implementing my suggestions, Zane! The new table looks fantastic!

Would it be possible to add a space at the end of each delimiting comma? I wouldn't mind if this particular adjustment wasn't made, although I think that having a space after each comma would make the lists look nicer.

Also, I think the table would look even better if the rows had background colors too. White would be a good color.

I also realized that I didn't think the "unkmodlist" parameter through, because even if the items in that row didn't have confirmed modifiers yet, the reader would still wonder whether they were likes or dislikes.

That's all of my feedback. Once again, thank you so much for implementing that table, Zane! It'll definitely help me spot newly-discovered modifier data for Project G :D!

Quote Originally Posted by AluraMist View Post
      One minor edit, which I just did on the New Page ...

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki...7&oldid=556137

I added one blank line after each 'modlist', as Milt showed in his post. That follows the setup used whenever we have a semi-colon separated list, like the ones on that same page for 'cardpacks', 'fishchestlocations', and 'gardenneeds'. Also on the fields below that for the gear, etc.

IMO, that makes it easier to read the page when editing, so that all of the fields and lists don't run together:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki...le&action=edit

AluraMist
      Thank you, Alura!

• Zane's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Robert Winterbreeze
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice

Mood:
      Editing

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

@Rayzer I've made a few changes to the test-template - is the current layout an improvement from what it was previously? Hopefully it should make distinguishing between likes/dislikes about as easy as it was prior. Thanks for the feedback
      @Milt I've restructured it a bit to make use of the following parameters:
      • likemod#
      • likemodlist#
      • dislikemod#
      • dislikemodlist#
      • unklikes
      • unkdislikes

I think the current layout (as I said I've changed it a bit if you want to give it a look) is pretty clean, but if you still think a bg color change would be better I'll try it out. Oh, I also added in that space to the delimiter lol.
      "Who is them all, but individual mes following the path of themselves and others" - Pyro

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

@Milt I've restructured it a bit to make use of the following parameters:
      • likemod#
      • likemodlist#
      • dislikemod#
      • dislikemodlist#
      • unklikes
      • unkdislikes

I think the current layout (as I said I've changed it a bit if you want to give it a look) is pretty clean, but if you still think a bg color change would be better I'll try it out. Oh, I also added in that space to the delimiter lol.
      Looks like an improvement to me, well done!

At this point, the only ones which really need background colors are the "Likes" and "Dislikes" headers. On the Honey Sickle page, the "Dislike" header blends in with the "+10%" row, which looks jarring if I may be honest. If those two headers had background colors, then the table would be practically perfect .
      Last edited by Milt; 3-19-18 at 8:04:42 AM.

• Zane's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Robert Winterbreeze
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice

Mood:
      Editing

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Looks like an improvement to me, well done!

At this point, the only ones which really need background colors are the "Likes" and "Dislikes" headers. On the Honey Sickle page, the "Dislike" header blends in with the "+10%" row, which looks jarring if I may be honest. If those two headers had background colors, then the table would be practically perfect .
      All Seed pages have been updated with the new parameters. I've made some additional changes to the template as well (which you can see on any page now). I've leveraged the new parameters to create both a Like/Dislike list we had been using previously as well as the modifier table next to the Seed's reward notes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast