PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Surviving Celestia and Beyond as a Theurgist

Surviving Celestia and Beyond as a Theurgist
      How to Still Win a Lot

Celestia (and Wintertusk)

Life is the last school to get an AoE, at level 58, so obviously there will be difficulties there. Focus on using Centaur as your main hit until you get Forest Lord. What I did at that time was stack Lifeblade and Spirit Blade, as well as use Feint to boost the damage. Once you get to Level 58, you can pop a Gargantuan on that fluffy and enjoy your faster battles.
      Don't forget to train the damage enchantments, either.
      Since some mobs hit hard, you'll probably have to heal a lot, especially during boss fights. I like to use the Troll Ear Pendant for this, since the Guiding Light cards it provides stacks with your trained Guiding Light. You can also afford to have a pretty large deck for that reason (and if you don't care too much about speed, you'd prefer to keep your deck large in order to avoid using Reshuffle too much).
      Regardless, ice mobs are going to pose a big threat when you begin Celestia. Get a partner for those.

Zafaria and Avalon

Once you're level 60, you should farm the Waterworks for that sweet, sweet gear. Personally, I prefer to use the crafted hat from Carax Strongthread (in Sudrilund) for the item blade. Once you get your gear, you should take a lot less damage.
      Now you can probably use a smaller deck for mob battles, consisting of a handful of blades to stack on a gargantuan forest lord. Have wand hits ready for fire, ice, or death mobs, and on myth mobs, use traps instead. Overall, Zafaria and Avalon should be relatively easy, and you can probably solo anything that doesn't involve fighting more than two mobs at a time.

Azteca

It gets interesting here. Mobs have annoyingly high critical rates, so definitely pack some tower shields for boss battles.
      For street fights, just add another blade (spirit blade will have to do until you can get Sharp / Potent).
      Storm mobs get extremely annoying now, though; they can cast Enfeeble with only 3 pips. You can choose to use traps here as well, but given their damage output, Feint might be a bad idea. I myself just use blades, since they don't cast Enfeeble that often (but then, myth mobs rarely Earthquake this late into the game).
      At level 84, you can activate the star trainer and learn Cycle of Life and Devotion. Two levels later, you can learn Sharpened Blade and Potent Trap, which are definitely worth it. Primordial doesn't add much to heals, and I don't have it trained yet, but it's your call.

Khrysalis (and Darkmoor)

The most interesting thing you get are Shadow spells. You get Shadow Seraph for free, but it's almost completely useless since it has a narrow set of likes (healing and sacrifice minion spells), so train Shadow Shrike, which is a lot more useful. For street battles in particular, just use the spell right before attacking.
      Somewhere in the middle of Khrysalis, you'll reach level 100 and become eligible to enter Darkmoor. Do the first two parts at the very least to get your shadow-enhanced spell. Hungry Caterpillar is a powerful single hit that you can use to finish off bosses, as well as a great soloing tool for the Starfall Sea.
      Try doing the Graveyard, the final part of Darkmoor, as well, to see if you can get Malistaire to drop his clothes. In the likely case that your job consists of healing, use gear that maximizes accuracy, outgoing healing, and health (all the mobs there pierce, so resistance is not terribly useful).
      I haven't been to the point where you get your second shadow pip, but the shadow-enhanced spells probably beat the rank 2 pure shadow spells. You can still use Shrike and still have a shad left over for Caterpillar, though.

Polaris

The mobs have lower health, so you won't need as many blades to kill them. You can use the same strategy for two-mob fights. Polaris also has lots of four-mob fights, though; if you can't stack enough blades to kill them with Forest Lord, take them out one by one with Hungry Caterpillar. If there's one boss, then put in a few more Satyrs in your street deck to heal up before you reshuffle.
      Balance bosses (especially Captain Loranzo) will hurt Theurgists the most, since the bosses like to spam Mana Burn and Life don't have an AoE below 8 pips. Pack Unbalance or Empowerment for those cases.
      Last edited by sKochiya; 10-8-16 at 1:52:53 AM.
      std::allocator_traits<std::allocator<T>>::construc t(allocator, &elements[start], args...);

Allison DeathWielder is online now Archmage Wizard

• Allison DeathWielder's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  (I'm male irl) Allison | Roslyn | Emily | Bailey | Morgan | Calamity | Destiny
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Shadow Beast

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Surviving Celestia and Beyond as a Theurgist

You've got some great tips here, and I'd like to add on some of my own that I found helpful playing a Life Wizard.

First up, with Celestia (and prior to it) I think it's a good idea to purchase Treasure Card versions of Monstrous to enchant your hits with, so that you have a damage booster before you get the trained version to replace the Treasure Cards. This will make defeating enemies with Centaur much faster, which is crucial in Celestia mob fights.

After you've trained it, I've found it helpful to buy Treasure Card versions of all of the different shields so that I can use those to survive boss battles. This has also allowed me to keep my deck small, as I don't need heals when so much damage is deflected by shields.

As far as what gear to use at level 60, I find that Waterworks is more PvP oriented, and that the Wintertusk crafted gear has better utility for questing. I'd also go as far as to say that it's not a bad idea to craft your Avalon, Azteca, and Khrysalis robes as they become available to you. While you do lose a bit of utility, you gain a robe that provides higher stats than the Waterworks robe that you could have farmed for previously. And, while at this point Darkmoor gear may prove very helpful, if you're not doing PvP the Khrysalis crafted robe provides high enough stats to survive in Polaris without much difficulty.

For wands, I found a lot of success in getting the Sky Iron Hasta from Mount Olympus (it's a 100% drop from Ares, so it's easy to acquire in one run) for the +10% damage boost, and then trading it for the Umbra Legionnaire's Pike that you can purchase in Khrysalis' Silent Market after it's restored (+9% damage, with some crit and block added in).

These are just great choices if you don't want to farm or buy packs for the better options that are out there, but I've had relative ease questing my Life with the setup.

Hopefully you found this helpful.
      Last edited by Allison DeathWielder; 9-2-16 at 2:56:35 AM.

1 account, 7 Wizards. Over 10 years of adventure

Sig and pfp made with help from Ashley SandFlower

firewiz46 is offline Transcendent Wizard

• firewiz46's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kevin Lifewalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  miss belle
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  spiritual dragon

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I barely ever spent rounds shielding in boss battles and took a different approach. I would keep myself healed with pixies as needed and stack feints; trained, treasure card, and an item feint from wearing the level 50 jewel of the feint, and do one giant hit with added blades and traps as needed. I'm not sure it is a better strategy than what you describe, just a different one that also works well for life. Right now, my life is about to enter Fort Rachias in Krysallis and nothing other than the typical super-cheats has been all that difficult. I also used a lot more of the high resist gear found in the bazaar and crafting and would swap out as needed for different bosses. There is very little damage boost there, but it didn't make much difference with a feint stacking strategy.

'It don't come easy' - Ringo

Zarin64 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Zarin64's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Corwin Swiftcatcher
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Cat, Red Ghost, Enchanted Armament, Pixie Queen 57 (Card)

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

As usual, there are different approaches from different people, so I'll add my 2 cents.

In my view, Life has enough health to survive without shields. In addition - and this might come as a surprise - Life is one of the strongest hitters once it gets its Forest Lord. At least it can be if one builds the character correctly.

My approach is like this: get the gear with the highest damage (initially from the Bazaar, then crafted Sudrilund stuff, potentially replaced by WaterWorks and the crafted gear from Avalon/Azteca) - you can easily get a level 58 Life into circa +60% damage. Build your deck to favor blade stacking, preferably with 0-pip blades: learned Lifeblade, crafted helm's Lifeblade, Balanceblade from your amulet (there are a couple dropping in Nastrond) or Dragonblade from your pet, or Sharpened Lifeblade from your Enchanted Armament/Party Corgi. Three blades, good damage modifier and a Gargantuan Forest Lord can easily deal 2500-3000 damage. Add a Feint in boss fights.

Life is also one of the "high power pip chance" schools, so you have some excellent chance of getting Forest Lord on turn 3 (after 2 blades), and are practically assured of the turn 4 hit, after 3 blades. Have a couple of Fairies in your deck to be used for a quick heal after a particularly nasty critical from the opposition.

Finally, with its strong heals, Life is one of the three schools (the other two being Death and Ice) who can afford to learn and use Berserk - try it and see. When I go that route, I cast my 2-3 blades, a Guiding Light, a Regenerate, then Berserk and hit - usually leaves me at full health and the opposition dead .
      My wizards: Corwin Swiftcatcher (Death), Alexandra Winterflower (Ice), Darby Firebreeze (Fire), Katie Wildheart (Storm), Heather (Life), Sarah LionHeart (Myth).

Zarin64 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Zarin64's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Corwin Swiftcatcher
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Cat, Red Ghost, Enchanted Armament, Pixie Queen 57 (Card)

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

An interesting discussion point you touched there is the (lack of) use of Primordial. On the surface, it can boost your Minor Blessing very significantly, and it can become serious with critical and Life's usual healing boosts. Same with Sprite and even Fairy to a degree.

However, having Primordials in your deck dilutes it, making the draws less predictable, which is already a bad thing. It becomes even worse if you ever use Reshuffle - the heals enchanted with Primordial will multiply in much the same way the colossal hits and the cloaked/sharpened/potent blades/traps do.

I can imagine Storm using Primordial with Healing Current (to reduce the unpredictability) and Death enchanting its Sacrifices (to offset the self-hitting part even more). Life might want to use it for the team play, where a couple of Minor Blessings will keep someone alive between the Regenerates/Rebirths.
      My wizards: Corwin Swiftcatcher (Death), Alexandra Winterflower (Ice), Darby Firebreeze (Fire), Katie Wildheart (Storm), Heather (Life), Sarah LionHeart (Myth).