•  Balance

Mood:
      Youtuber

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Wiki-Master Verification for Enemy Drops

Hello, I'm sorry if someone has asked this before but if we want to help out with the Wiki-Master Verification for enemy drops how can we go about doing that? I'm starting to go through and attempt to independently confirm drops from enemies and I figured I could help this site out.

Thank you.

Zane is offline Wiki Master

• Zane's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Robert Winterbreeze
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice

Mood:
      Editing

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Wiki-Master Verification for Enemy Drops

Hello frew605hjof,

Unfortunately, there's no way for members to verify recorded drops for the Wiki-Master Verified tag. The tag is only to be used by Wiki-Masters who personally witness a drop, so any screenshots or second-hand verification cannot be used to add the tag. We currently have no way for members to verify drops in that same manner. For now, if you would like, you could post screenshots of any drops (I'd suggest sticking to more rare drops) in the Wiki Page Discussion Forum so that members have visible verification, but there would still be no changes that could be made to the page in order to reflect that verification. Regarding the Wiki-Master Verified Tag, you can read about the use of this tag in this thread: The Wiki-Master Verified Tag (*WMV).

Zane
      "Who is them all, but individual mes following the path of themselves and others" - Pyro
      |PvP Competition|Forum Leaders|FAQ|My Wizards|Wizard101 Wiki|

AluraMist is online now Wiki Master

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by frew605hjof View Post
      Hello, I'm sorry if someone has asked this before but if we want to help out with the Wiki-Master Verification for enemy drops how can we go about doing that? I'm starting to go through and attempt to independently confirm drops from enemies and I figured I could help this site out.

Thank you.
      Note: @Zane I'm sorry. I did not notice that you replied to this post already. Too early in the morning for me ...
      -----------------------------
      Thanks for asking about using the "WMV" tag (Wiki Master Verified). If one of the Wiki Masters receives a drop ingame, and it is already listed on a Wiki page, the Wiki Master will add that tag as a 'second' verification for that drop. See more details in this post.

And since you are new to working of the Wiki, maybe this Guide to Editing the Wiki - Standards will help. It covers the basics of editing in a very simple way.

Welcome to the world of the Wiki.

AluraMist
      Wiki Master
      Last edited by AluraMist; 5-31-16 at 8:03:14 AM.
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

frew605hjof is offline Novice Wizard

• frew605hjof's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Andrew Sandblood
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance

Mood:
      Youtuber

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thank you for the clarification. I recently discovered a drop was missing on a characters page that I got, and so I added it in accordingly. 1st question- do I need to submit a screenshot of me getting the item? If so, what is the criteria for that? 2nd question- how long will it take for that creature to show up in the list of creatures that drop the item on the item's page? I went to edit it in but it says that they'll automatically fill in.
      Thank you

AluraMist is online now Wiki Master

Mood:
      Shy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by frew605hjof View Post
      Thank you for the clarification. I recently discovered a drop was missing on a characters page that I got, and so I added it in accordingly. 1st question- do I need to submit a screenshot of me getting the item? If so, what is the criteria for that? 2nd question- how long will it take for that creature to show up in the list of creatures that drop the item on the item's page? I went to edit it in but it says that they'll automatically fill in.
      Thank you
      At the present time, screenshot verifications are needed for the "Pet Drops" since they can be rare drops. They would be posted here: http://www.wizard101central.com/foru...ps-on-the-Wiki. Otherwise, as long as it is firsthand information (you actually received the drop), a screenshot is not required. However, if there is any question about information that was entered, a Wiki Master might contact you (usually by Private Message) and ask for a screenshot (to verify stats or correct spelling of an Item name, etc.).

After a drop is added to the Wiki, sometimes it might take 'overnight' until that info appears on the corresponding page (Item, Pet, Jewel, etc.).

I just checked the page for the Item:Necromancer's Ivory Cloak and the Ahnic Strider is showing on that page now.

Thanks for working on the Wiki. Any other questions, just ask.

AluraMist
      Last edited by AluraMist; 5-31-16 at 6:28:13 PM.
      Dare to catch your best dreams and live them with eyes wide open. Sweet dreams always.
      The DreamCatcher.

Milt is offline Archmage Wizard

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
      Hello frew605hjof,

Unfortunately, there's no way for members to verify recorded drops for the Wiki-Master Verified tag. The tag is only to be used by Wiki-Masters who personally witness a drop, so any screenshots or second-hand verification cannot be used to add the tag. We currently have no way for members to verify drops in that same manner.

Zane
      I do have a question regarding how the Wiki decides when additional types of verification become necessary.

From what I've read in Dragontamer's guide, the prime reason for the existence of the WMV* tag is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontamer1016
      The tag was established in response to member requests for a level of verification for dropped items.
      By those words, should the Central community--in part or in whole--express interest in newer methods of verification, would the Wiki take their demands into consideration? Perhaps even a discussion?

Of course, I realize that such tags would need: (1) a clear, decisive reason to exist, (2) to benefit both the Wiki and Central--in whole, and (3) a defined set of rules and restrictions pertaining to their use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontamer1016
      (2) The tag was established in response to member requests for a level of verification for dropped items. Every item added to a creature's drop list, in fact (1) every edit of any kind made to the Wiki, is reviewed for accuracy and validity by a Wiki-Master. Because all Central members are granted the ability to make edits to the Wiki, and reliability levels vary, errors can and do happen. (1) Some plausible-looking errors may even make it past the Wiki-Master review, or have been inherited from our pre-Central Wikia site.

(1) The *WMV tag allows us to indicate that a listed drop has been confirmed by being personally witnessed by a Wiki-Master. (3) This is the highest reliability level we can provide, short of requiring screenshot proof for drops. It should be noted that we won't apply the tag the first time an item is added to a drop list, even when we're the ones recording it. The drop must be received a second time to be verified.

However, this doesn't mean that drops without a *WMV tag should be considered suspect. (3) It only means that a Wiki-Master hasn't received that particular drop yet. And while we record what we can, we don't have the time or responsibility to confirm every item dropped in the Spiral.

Zane is offline Wiki Master

• Zane's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Robert Winterbreeze
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice

Mood:
      Editing

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
      I do have a question regarding how the Wiki decides when additional types of verification become necessary.

From what I've read in Dragontamer's guide, the prime reason for the existence of the WMV* tag is as follows:

By those words, should the Central community--in part or in whole--express interest in newer methods of verification, would the Wiki take their demands into consideration? Perhaps even a discussion?

Of course, I realize that such tags would need: (1) a clear, decisive reason to exist, (2) to benefit both the Wiki and Central--in whole, and (3) a defined set of rules and restrictions pertaining to their use.
      A brief discussion about this has already taken place, actually. There was discussion about rolling-out a "General-User Verified" tag similar to the WMV tag or just a General User label for listed drops, but ultimately any progress on that was stalled in favor of other projects and because a lot of the WMs did not have a lot of time on their hands to effectively integrate the change. If there were more interest expressed on the member-side, then we'd be happy to revisit the topic. Seeing as this was originally just something being discussed among the Wiki-Masters, there was no urgency in really settling where we wanted to take new levels of verification.
      "Who is them all, but individual mes following the path of themselves and others" - Pyro
      |PvP Competition|Forum Leaders|FAQ|My Wizards|Wizard101 Wiki|

Milt is offline Archmage Wizard

• Milt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Goldenbrand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Oppossum

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
      A brief discussion about this has already taken place, actually. There was discussion about rolling-out a "General-User Verified" tag similar to the WMV tag or just a General User label for listed drops, but ultimately any progress on that was stalled in favor of other projects and because a lot of the WMs did not have a lot of time on their hands to effectively integrate the change. If there were more interest expressed on the member-side, then we'd be happy to revisit the topic. Seeing as this was originally just something being discussed among the Wiki-Masters, there was no urgency in really settling where we wanted to take new levels of verification.
      A "GUV" tag would be a wonderful addition to the Wiki, though I understand why implementing such a feature would cost an inconvenient amount of time. In fact, I suspect that several infrastructural changes will need to be made so that the tags work as intended.

I imagine that the Wiki Masters would be monitoring the tag's usage, right? If so, someone would need to write in some new legend markers for the edit logs (example: m = minor edit). This means that if contributors want to add in *GUVs, they'll need to click on a checkbox; but this extra step comes with a crucial advantage: from reading the edit logs, Wiki Masters can immediately tell when those tags were used, and whoever used them.

This is probably the easiest implementation, since the Wiki already has the infrastructure to mark logs.

Then there's a matter of who would gain permission to use *GUVs. I suspect that it would be programmed in as a user group right, since it'd be efficient to implement and moderate. If someone continuously misuses the tags, a Wiki Master can toggle their access to it off after one edit log.

That said, I worry that the easiest way might not be the best; giving everyone access to *GUVs has its own set of consequences, most notably abuse. The *WMV tags hold much weight primarily because only the Wiki Masters may use them, and thus don't need nearly as much moderation. For *GUVs though, it would be the exact opposite.

I'm not saying that a universal *GUV privilege is a bad idea; but if it proves to be too problematic for the team, someone may need to write in a new user group as a back-up plan.

frew605hjof is offline Novice Wizard

• frew605hjof's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Andrew Sandblood
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance

Mood:
      Youtuber

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I for one would be happy to contribute to verifying as a general user. I am recording the final round of every battle (and subsequently the drops) and attempting to compile them into one video per enemy (yes I know this will take a huge amount of time and I won't get every single enemy as there are over 2000). I could take screencaps of these videos to post as proof (or post the videos themselves) to verify my adding of the GUV tags.

RedValkyre99 is offline Wiki Master

Mood:
      Cheerful

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

When last the Wiki-Masters discussed user verification tags it was in the context of whether or not we should allow confirmation of drops based on the item identifier. If we had allowed that, then there were some interesting wrinkles where entries might have no direct user verification and hence the perceived need for the tags. Absent of those complications, I'd advocate against user verification tags and instead offer a "frequency" tag. The benefit would be that not only could you get a feel for whether one or more persons witnessed the drop but also over time, the frequency relative to the drops. I suspect though that the pool of wiki contributors is much too small to be statistically significant but certainly those of us who do a lot a farming could provide valuable contributions towards drop frequencies. Users would simply add the tag or increment the count based on the number of times they received that item from that creature (for example):

| hat1 = Malistaire's Cowl of Flux*F5
      | hat2 = Raging Blackwater's Helm*F308
      | robe1 = Malistaire's Cloak of Flux*WMV*F3
      | boots1 = Malistaire's Boots of Flux*WMV

If during a battle with Malistaire the Undying, I received another Malistaire's Cowl of Flux and Boots of Flux (one could only wish to be that lucky) and two Raging Blackwater's Helms I would update the fields as follows:

| hat1 = Malistaire's Cowl of Flux*F6
      | hat2 = Raging Blackwater's Helm*F310
      | robe1 = Malistaire's Cloak of Flux*WMV*F3
      | boots1 = Malistaire's Boots of Flux*WMV*F1

Thoughts and comments?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast