•  Fierce Hound
      ----

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: New crit system: a change for the worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      No one is accusing you of anything. You are right I am arguing for the system as it is supposed to work because it very clearly is not working in the lower level worlds. However it very clearly is working in the world that was designed with this system in mind: Polaris. Hence my argument that the overall system is good once the lower level worlds are adjusted around it.

Eric,

While there was evidence in the first release of the system that previous worlds were at a disadvantage (level 100 to 101), there is no evidence this is still the case. KI has made it clear that the critical system change starts at level 50 (Celestia) and affects enemies just as much as players.

For everyone else, the below link clearly simplifies how the new critical system works. There is no correlation between a critical attack and a subsequent critical block (old vs new worlds, against players or PvE enemies).....your stats simply reflect your overall chance of conducting a critical attack or block....regardless of your opponents stats/percentages.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/rave...5fd1fda?page=1
      Last edited by Kingurz; 11-20-15 at 2:08:01 AM.

JohnJSal is offline Initiate Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Kingurz View Post
      KI has made it clear that the critical system change starts at level 50 (Celestia) and affects enemies just as much as players.
      I'm sure this was the intention, but is it true? By most accounts, the 50+ enemies don't seem changed at all.

Corwin F is offline Novice Wizard

Mood:
      Hungry

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

For everyone else, the below link clearly simplifies how the new critical system works. There is no correlation between a critical attack and a subsequent critical block (old vs new worlds, against players or PvE enemies).....your stats simply reflect your overall chance of conducting a critical attack or block....regardless of your opponents stats/percentages.

oh wow, that's worst than I thought, no more ratio between the opponents?!
      that new system will be outdated even faster than the old one :
      if I understand it correctly, that means, once a player will be able to get 100% Block, no more Critical will ever land on him (and no need to improve the gear beyond 100% Block, he's already Immune to Critical for good... at least for once we'll save some Crowns, lol)

as I said before, we have to go backwards : more than Crit/Block, we'll focus on Damage/Resist again like we did some time ago, that's set

anyway, in spite of all the discussions since the Test Realm, I didn't see KingsIsle strike up a proper conversation about it with the community, that means they just wait for us to be tired of arguing and to go back playing and adapting
      this new system will stay until level 120/130 when it'll be obvious it doesn't work and will be changed again and create a new complete mess (yay, more neverending unheard discussions, lol)

instead of arguing (and be ignored by KingsIsle), we should start a thread on Central or official forum, strictly dedicated to work on a new stable system that can last forever and be obvious to any players even kids and casual gamers
      that will suggest some alternatives to KingsIsle and maybe let them fix this for good

AdamStormStalker is offline Master Wizard

Mood:
      Tired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

One thing is clear at least, the NPCs land way too many criticals now, in Polaris anyway. It is off balance. We'll adapt by shielding, boosting resist and use of conviction, but for years we've set up our wizards for crit as did KI w/gear drops incl from Darkmoor, so why the sudden change without prior discussion. Not the KI way I suppose.

Eric Stormbringer is online now Grandmaster Wizard

• Eric Stormbringer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Stormbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Many
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Amorphous

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ghola View Post
      Even your post said they would need to make changes again. Changing back to the old system, removing the cap on the foes, keeping new gear at a reasonable level, and a few minor tweaks they could all make it a system that wouldn't have a shelf life in my opinion.
      The problem is their was no room to grow. What is the difference in amount of criticals casted by someone with 150% critical and 100% critical? Nothing, the only difference in the old system was that the 150% critical would be blocked less. Toss that onto bosses and you have huge discrepancies where bosses critical every, single hit widening the gap between the casual and hardcore players far more than this update has done.

Still wondering why it wouldn't work along the lines I suggested? I mentioned the things addressed they have done to control power creep on other stats. All they would have had to do is essentially the same thing with critical by removing the boss cap, regulating new higher level gear, and minor tweaks for the upper levels. This to me would be a model that could work with out a expiration date.And with out taking away from the lower levels. I am pretty sure there's a lot more lower level wizards affected by this negatively whether in a minor or major fashion.
      What boss cap are you referring to?

Just as a refresher what I said so you or others don't have to search back in the thread about what they did with the other stats and still did no harm to lower levels.

"As you said they addressed power creep for accuracy with the new spells. Also they addressed power creep for resistance by having more pierce in Polaris. They also addressed power creep some for damage by having more universal or multiple resist bosses. They could have done the same thing with critical if they would have kept roughly the same system in Polaris as earlier, where if the foes critical was higher the better chance it would make it through. Instead they changed it in all critical worlds where no adjustments were made. Having a hard cap just dooms this to being obsolete at a later date. They can also control power creep just by the new available equipment.
      The problem is there was no room to grow- We were fast heading to worlds where every player and boss criticaled every attack and where higher critical would only be relevant based on the block of the opponent. There is also no mechanism for addressing critical heals which would mean eventually down the line a heal suppression stat would have to be invented.

Edit to add: Remember one thing that also happened was the people who thought they were getting "x" value from buying those packs and gear took a loss on expected gains in being able to block for buying them. Just changing the foes wouldn't address that. Other then just a percentage of it back. Also it would be a lot harder and costlier to change all foes in the lower worlds. The just placing the same files back in.
      That's a cost KI has decided to eat to ensure a longer game time. As for the items, yes the absolute value has changed-the relative value has not.

- - - Updated - - -

Eric,

While there was evidence in the first release of the system that previous worlds were at a disadvantage (level 100 to 101), there is no evidence this is still the case. KI has made it clear that the critical system change starts at level 50 (Celestia) and affects enemies just as much as players.

I am basing it on what the players on this thread have stated which seems to be that critical at lower levels is happening as frequently as under the old system. If this is indeed not the case this further illustrates the need for hard data.

Profile Picture by Touches of Alyssa
      Signature by Skyfuria

ValdusDeaths is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I got frustrated at the new system and used my crowns to buy 10 packs of Keepers Lore and got the full Jade set. Bosses can't touch me now no matter how much they crit.

But I shouldn't have to have 75+ universal resist just because KI decided to implement an untested and ill-prepared system. People can't block in PvE. That's the bottom line. You can't argue with it because it's true.

Those of you who are patiently waiting for a response from KI; good luck. They're too proud of their system to do anything about it. They've put too many resources into the new system to scrap it now.

FamilyWiz is offline Transcendent Wizard

• FamilyWiz's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Angel Death
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Krokotopia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Angel
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  snowy cat

Mood:
      Happy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stormbringer View Post
      @juliashadowheart died in one boss encounter 3 times, Hopefully @Miss Froggie can share with us exactly what her experience has been in terms of frequency, @Shopgirl died in DM, while @Yuna and @JohnJSal are posting theoretical experiences . Meanwhile over on this thread many folks have posted how PvE has become easier for their wizards. That being said I don't think anyone disagrees that the old worlds need to be adjusted to this change as that seems to be the main cause of death.
      So basically you just dismiss all these complaints out of hand. Polaris was designed as easy to quell these complaints but that's only my opinion. I have no proof of it. Just seems obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyCat View Post
      So far, it feels like people are only posting their bad experiences on this thread rather than the complete experience. Maybe it's just me, but this feels more like a "let's complain" thread rather than a "let's test data" thread idea like Eric posted before. (hey @Eric Stormbringer, is there a thread like that? I'd love to start chipping in in earnest tomorrow)

I never trust threads like these to give the complete story, because it seems like bad feelings tend to get in the way and cause arguments, not to mention long term testing is pretty important, not just recording what you get as you quest along and only fight less than ten mobs with nearly every quest you get.
      What do we work for KI's research department now? They're the ones that should have done all that. Complaining players actually have nothing to prove. Either players are happy or they're not. It isn't actually even the problem of happy players beyond the threat of possible shut down if they lose too many customers. It is KI's problem. All these comments say I'm not happy playing like this, I play to be happy therefore, I see no reason to play. Point blank. The reasons and wherefors aside, that's the bottom line. And players aren't happy having their stats nerfed and aren't logging on in consequence. Sorry for those still happy playing but it is the move that could kill the game.
      Last edited by Willowdreamer; 11-20-15 at 4:03:59 PM. Reason: edited quote to match, removed reply to deleted comment

Game is in critical danger.
      Playing thru Avalon -- not paying.
      Reagent Hoarding Group

bored471 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• bored471's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Flint Lifeshade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
      ----

Mood:
      Tired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Aside from not understanding the update, I have two somewhat random questions?

Is Vengeance affected by this update?
      Does this update affect low lvl PvP?

Yuna is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Yuna's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Destruction Incarnate
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mimi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mimic

Mood:
      Annoyed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

i too am not certain what was the point behind this critical/block update, or should i say motive. (funny how all the mobs that drops pierce just became more difficult to farm, along with malistaire. and suddenly there is school jewel packs and a second chance chest for malistaire.) all it has done for the time being is add more rng to the block system. whereas before anyone can easily sit at around 250 block rating and block most bosses. 300+ for darkmoor. now, it's more of a flip of coin that decides whether you block or not. improving the block stat does not do much at all unless you can achieve 100% block. which you can not do until end game and sacrifice just about every other stat.

while i can easily adapt to this, what i don't like about this update is that there is no surefire way to completely counter this lack of blocking so to speak. other games i play, i usually play in the most difficult mode. it is possible since there are combos/counters that if executed flawlessly, it literally renders whatever devastating attack you were going to hit with obsolete. it means you have almost complete control of the situation; abeit some work has to be put into it. this is what the old system did if you got your block high enough. yes the bosses and mobs critical like crazy, but we were able to efficiently counter it, most of the time. with the new system, the player almost have no control. if rng is feeling nice, you'll have an easy time, if not, might as well restart.

in addition, with this new system, there is a hard cap on critical and block. what happens when we reach that cap? another system change will be in place. to me, that seems like going forward a step, only to take 2 steps back then going forward yet again. what is the point of this all? this old system can grow indefinitely whereas this can not.

perhaps i'm not seeing the bigger picture here. but from what i have seen and experienced in game, this system is more of the step backward then forward.

"Peace is but a shadow of death; desperate to forget its painful past. Though we hope for promising years,
      after shedding a thousand tears, yesterday's sorrow constantly nears."

Iceberg is offline Adept Wizard

• Iceberg's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sean Sunshard
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Spike
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'm already near 100% block. My block right now is 75% universal with 85-89% fire and storm block. Looks like they will change it again, right? My other stats aren't even that bad. I'm 100% sure that they WILL change this up again. I mean, I'm almost immune to criticals already!
      Attached Images Attached Images   

"Global Warming? It's freezing over here!" - Penguin