Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

The Living Dead

Name:  title.png
Views: 6062
Size:  51.6 KB
      Before you read anything on this guide, keep in mind this is only focused for PvE gameplay, none of the tips and recommendations given here are for PvP or should be compared to better choices for PvP.

Hello everyone, I’ve prepared this for anyone new to the Death school. Whether you’re new in W101 or you wish to add a death wizard to your account, this guide is here to help you. Playing with the threads of life and death can be enticing but not easy!! Different playing styles have different needs therefore, I ask you to take nothing in this guide as a rule written in stone but rather a recommendation given from my point of view, research and experience in the game.

What you’ll find here:
      Pros & Cons of the School
      Secondary Schools
      Gear set-up Recommendations
      Wand, Ring, Athame & Jewels Tips
      Pet Tips
      Deck set-up Recommendations
      The Roles of a Necromancer in Teams
      Farming Tips
      Looks and Deathly Fashion

Name:  Pros & Cons of the School.png
Views: 6220
Size:  22.9 KB
      Name:  Pro-Con Table.png
Views: 6045
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Secondary Schools.png
Views: 6254
Size:  18.1 KB
      Name:  secondary schools table.png
Views: 6129
Size:  264.4 KB
      **The star school spell: Virulence is a must for Death wizards. Use it wisely of course and avoid casting it with Life bosses/mobs until the round before you kill. If I'm not mistaken, Necromancers can have this spell for free.**

Why I don’t recommend Life up to Satyr as a secondary school: If a wizard wants to train life up to satyr, they’ll need a life mastery amulet, otherwise they’ll be wasting a lot of pips in battle. These training points could also be saved by simply owning a life mastery amulet and using heal treasure cards instead. Every school gets the Fairy spell at the beginning of the game and this is a very reliable heal. If you feel you need these spells to stay alive or that they’re more reliable than your drain spells, then I’d suggest the usage of treasure cards over training Life.

Other spells to consider investing in:

There will be a point in the game where you will have close to 15-27 spare training points depending on how you used them + how many quests you did to earn TP. You can leave these points sitting there and ignore them or you can consider investing some of them on the following...

Elemental Blades -
      why on Earth would a Death wizard invest in these, right? Well, if you are acting as a support player and your hammer is a Storm, Ice or Fire wizard, you might find these handy for your role as a supporter.

Dispels - for cheating bosses, a dispel can greatly change the course of the battle and while you can buy TC for these types of spells, you'll find it favorable to have trained dispels as well.

Mutate Sprite -
      if you decided to train life to satyr, you'll have have sprite in your deck already. Mutate sprite will turn your friendly little helper into a Midnight sprite which is a spell that deals some damage and adds a 25% blade. Perhaps not entirely useful in PVE but it does have an appeal in PVP.

Mutate Minotaur -
      if you invest 7 TP to train myth's Minotaur spell, have or get a myth mastery amulet, you might find some use in getting this spell as well. Mutate Minotaur transform the usual myth Minotaur into Deadly Minotaur, a spell with about 200 more damage than myth's.

Name:  Gear set-up Recommendations.png
Views: 6211
Size:  26.5 KB
      When I look for gear on my wizards I attempt a balanced approach, that is to give my wizard enough of everything and primarily focus on damage and health. Why? Death’s drain spells allow us to focus on damage for faster kills and also better heals more damage in a drain = more health for you.

As you play, you might feel the current gear you have works for you better than the next one listed or that you’ve found better gear available. There’s only certain gear in this list that is extremely recommended and commonly known to be the best gear available for a Death Wizard at that level.

Remember: Different playing styles have different needs so, take nothing in this guide as a rule written in stone but rather a recommendation given from my point of view and game experience.
      Name:  Color Key for Gear guide.png
Views: 5978
Size:  9.2 KB

Name:  gear table 1.jpg
Views: 6078
Size:  212.0 KB
      *For more detailed gear-set up suggestions for levels 50+ I recommend checking out @Ryan's guide as he also adds on what athames, rings, amulets, and wands you should go for at that particular level.
      **An alternate level 100 set up includes changing Malistaire's robe and hat for Rattlebone's Bonesmasher Robe of Strife and the hat dropped in Krokopatra's exalted ultra dungeon.

***Currently there isn't a specific set up for level 110, for those who don't have the Eye of the Soothsayer or Lord of Death's Dragonstaff, the wand: Titanic Fragment of Torpor would be a good acquisition.

Name:  wand, ring and athames.png
Views: 6124
Size:  25.2 KB

For wands, I suggest you try to get yourself a wand that gives you 1 pip from early levels. Many wands dropped from packs give this pip at the beginning of battle. Wands like these are also dropped in Tier 1 Winterbane. At level 30 will get the chance to run through Aquila and will most definitely get a Sky Iron Hasta (these are a very common drop in the dungeon). Unless you get a much better wand, I suggest you keep this one well into level 60 if not further (that is if you find you prefer a wand with critical or block.) Personally I only dropped the Sky Iron Hasta when I got a Frosty Stare Tiki Torch (from Islander’s Pack).

Athames are Rings will be your extra source of health and any stats your gear fails to give you. I always focused on items that provided me with Healing in, damage, accuracy and pip chance aside from health. At early levels, items that give well rounded stats in the bazaar are scarce but there are many good options available.

Through levels 56-90 I recommend you get yourself the Black Spaniel of Battle ring which is Death School only and bought from the bazaar. If you wish to replace or update it with a more defensive counterpart, the Ardent Rose Ring (Avalon Crafted) would be a sufficient replacement.

For Athames I recommend the Garnet Bear Claw (Wintertusk Crafted) through levels 56-90 as well. If you wish to update it, the Courtly Dirk (Avalon Crafted) will make an excellent replacement.

At level 90 it is widely recommended to farm for the Alpha and Omega Ring alongside with the Blade of the Felled Titan both obtained from Aquila. The ring with the Gladiator at Mount Olympus and the athame from Tartarus.

At level 100 Lord of Death’s Razor (athame) would be a good update. For rings, Aphrodite's Poisonvine Ring would be a sufficient update if you prefer the added critical this ring provides. Other than that, the Alpha and Omega Ring could still be a good fit for the best gear at this level.

Note on Jewels:
      There are some pretty interesting jewels available in the game now. I recommend that you do not focus on any Damage/Resist jewels as these don't give a huge impact on the resulting damage you'll make on your opponent. Jewels that give you accuracy, pip chance, pierce, healing in and health are your best shot. Critical and block jewels aren't of much use until you've reached level 100 and by then you'll most likely want to focus on pierce jewels.

At level 30 you'll have the chance to do Mount Olympus and the first boss in this dungeon drops a Deer Knight Onyx. This is a jewel you'll want to farm for since at this early level its a very good item card to acquire for your character. The jewel can be used from level 25+ so another option you have is to farm on a higher level character (if you have one) and trade it through your shared bank!

This jewel is also dropped by the Hoof Ninjas in Hollow Mountain at Kembaalung.

Name:  Pet Tips.png
Views: 6101
Size:  9.9 KB
      Pets are recommended at early levels to ease the process of questing although they are not essential. Bellow I list what talents I recommend to look for or train in a pet according to the level your wizard would be in and the type of pet you’d like: a supportive one or an offensive one.

Name:  pet table.png
Views: 6161
Size:  78.9 KB
      With the new critical and block system in place, having critical talents on your pet can be more helpful than it was before.

Why do I recommend Healing Current as a pet talent: It’s more common and reliable than Unicorn. Sure, you never know if you’re getting 100, 400 or 1000 but even with cheating bosses, this spell sometimes doesn’t even triggers the cheats that normal life school-based heals from pets trigger.
      Great pets for a death wizard: Enchanted Armament, Avenging Fossil, Brainy Assistant, Deer Knight, Winged Catastrophe, Red Ghost, Wraith, Shadow Beast, Wildwood Yeti, Forgotten Grimoire & Ygor's Grimoire among many others.
      Name:  Deck set-up Recommendations.png
Views: 6152
Size:  26.7 KB

Important things to keep in mind

If possible, get yourself some enchants treasure cards: strong, monstrous or tough tc. They're all available to lower level wizards and they will help you speed up during your questing.

Remember to always pack plenty of prisms when facing a death mob or boss.

Solo decks require more spells in deck than team decks. Basically, if you’re solo you might want to pack a little bit more than you would in a team. Usually in teams you all have your roles set and you know what spells you’ll be working with. Therefore, your need for packing certain spells will depend on your role in that team.

The amount of spells you need will vary when fighting depending on what you’re fighting: mob, boss, cheating boss, same school mobs/boss, etc...

From level 5-15
      These levels will require a lot of shuffling between ‘Dark Sprite’, Ghoul (you’ll most likely use this one the most) and Banshee. You can aid yourself with the use of death school treasure cards bought at the bazaar. You could also make use of other schools' low-pip attacks like storm shark and fire elf but it's best to get these as item cards (from amulets or gear) or treasure cards.

Name:  Picture 2015-05-24 22-14-47.jpg
Views: 5934
Size:  48.4 KB

From level 16-48
      Traps and blades will always be a must for you and by level 26 you will already have every trap available for a necromancer to train. From level 16-42 you’ll most likely be using Vampire a lot. Poison is your first DoT spell and it’s incredibly useful, don’t hesitate to use it.

Pirate is also a solid attack spell you’ll want to have in your deck along with Banshee. These are the spells you shall use when you’re sure you’ll kill and do not need to heal. Packing heals in the form of treasure cards, at least 2 Sacrifice spell cards and higher damage/drain death school treasure cards will help in boss battles.

*Side note: during these levels you will also receive most of your self-inflicting damage spells like Sacrifice & Dark Pact. At these levels, you might want to use this strategy: Cast a death shield (Trained from Sabrina Greenstar in the Fairegrounds) and the next round cast the spell. This way you’ll take much less damage. These spells can also be beneficial to cast when a weakness is casted upon you but note that if you’ve already casted death/spiritual blades on yourself using this strategy can be counterproductive.

Level 48+
      At level 48 you get Scarecrow and this spell will really change the way in which you prepare for battles.
      When fighting mobs of any kind, you’ll want to pack your blades, a couple of death traps and plenty of crows (3-4 at most). Once you get your enchants, you might possibly only need a couple of blades to kill.

When fighting a boss, your 1st or 2nd damage spells will most likely be using Crow to be able to kill his minion(s) while also lowering the boss’ health. Later you’ll need to use spells like Pirate, Wraith & Poison. Once again, as you start training your Sun school enchants you’ll need less use of traps to kill minions.

**Side note for Level 70-80 (this highly depends on your questing speed)
      If you decide to craft Deer Knight, your questing will be made much easier as a buffed/enchanted Deer Knight can give a damage of 500-1000 from its first attack and 200-500 each round over time. If you critical, the damage will be more of course. That DoT can give you time to heal, buff up the damage with traps or cast a drain/damage spell.

If you’re questing Avalon, you’ll get the chance to buy the recipe to craft this spell from Grady once you defeat the Indigo Giant in Dun Scaith. Some people get lucky and earn the spell from Loremaster/Knight’s Lore Pack. Deer Knight is also available as an item card from a jewel dropped by several bosses one of them being Apollo Bright One in Mt. Olympus.

Name:  The Roles of a Necromancer in Teams.png
Views: 6089
Size:  33.8 KB

As a Tank – our health is decent enough that we can tank in most battles while also healing ourselves by either casting wraith, vamp or ghoul to minion in battle or using sacrifice on ourselves while waiting for the healer of the group to provide a more substantial heal or the Hammer to hit and kill.

As a Healer – death is better a Supporter than it is a healer. While we can sacrifice but the 700+ health we give will only last so much. This type of heal is good to keep someone alive until the healer of the group can mend the damage. A death with a life amulet can do much more in this role.

If you like being a healer, then you’d also have to train the life school up to Satyr or have a lot of life heals treasure cards on your deck for you to use when you’re assuming this role on a group. You might also want to consider training the sun spell: Primordial as this will allow your Sacrifice spell to give 800+ health instead.

As a Hammer –
      with the right buffs and gear, Death can one-hit kill just fine. We can blade up with dark pact, death blade, spiritual blade and sharpened blades. If there’s a chance for dragon blades or balance blades to be provided we can use those too, a feint or a couple of traps on our targets and we’ll be good to go and kill.

As a Supporter/Buffer –
      a Necromancer can use feint, curse and dark pact to help the hammer of the team make as much damage as possible. If the hammer is a death as well, you can further blade them with death blade and spiritual blades while also adding death traps to the enemy. The spells: plague and virulent plague will allow you to weaken the enemy’s attacks. If the enemy has Life mastery or there’s a healer in the enemy’s team, you can weaken their heal spells by using infection and mass infection.

The use of the spell: Empower can help the hammer get the pips needed for a particular spell much faster thus speeding up the battle. If you have tower shield trained or in treasure cards you can help protect the tank and any other players receiving hits. Through the use of treasure cards you can cast spells such as pierce, disarm, and steal ward along with many others. When facing death mobs you can either cast a prism or mass prisms.

Name:  farming .png
Views: 6020
Size:  16.3 KB

There are two occasions in which you’ll want to farm: farming for interesting/special drops or farming for school specific/non tradeable drops.

If you’re farming for school specific/no trade drops: Pick a strategy to make the battles as fast as possible and stick to it. Farming is often faster in teams so try to get a good team with a set strategy and roles for each member of your team so that farming is not strained by anyone doing their own thing.

If you’re farming for interesting/special drops: My first advice here is that if you have a higher level wizard with a 4-pip(or less) spell (like storm, ice, fire, myth & balance) then go farming with that wizard and transfer what you need to your death character. It’s definitely a much faster way to get things done. If this is not possible for you then accommodate your deck to the boss/mob you’re farming.

Option 1: Use an enchanted Deer Knight if you start the battle with 2 power pips it will take you two rounds to finish. If you start the battle with 3 power pips (or 2 pp + 1 white pip) you can hit right away.

Option 2: Use an enchanted Scarecrow. If you start with 2 power pips, it’ll take you 3 rounds to hit. If you start with three pp, it will take you 2 rounds to hit.

Option 3: If you have a Brainy Assistant pet, you can use the item cards that come with this pet to hit and kill in the first round (assuming you start your battle with 2 power pips.)

Option 4: Sometimes you can pack lower pip spells like Banshee, Poison & Ghoul. The enchanted version of these spells can kill quickly. I often used enchanted Ghouls (takes two rounds) to kill mobs in Grizzleheim when farming for Couch Potatoes. Once I crafted Deer Knight I no longer used this strategy.

Name:  looks.png
Views: 6024
Size:  23.6 KB
      All around the spiral there’s bosses that drop items with the specific logo of the death school. In the forum, @Ramsses II already made a guide providing information as to where to farm for these school specific items and their looks. Link: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?153570-Guide-to-Outfits
      @Sandy also created a guide for the Elegant Gear Sets. This guide does not provide where to farm for the Death Elegant robe. I did my homework and found that the robe: Tunic of Sudden Grief (Crown Shop Item) is also dropped by two bosses: Tim-tim Snakeeye & Elephant Spectral Guardian. This robe would be the Elegant Style death robe if you’re looking for your full death elegant style set.

Link to guide:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?65552-Illustrated-guide-to-school-graphic-elegant-outfits&highlight=school%20elegant%20outfit

Special Thanks and & Links to Important Information Borrowed for the Purpose of this Guide:

Thanks to @
      SpiritThief, @bored471, & @Zarin64 for their input and feedback.
      Most of the gear information can be found online as well as in the Wiki.
      Other Guides for Death Wizards available here on the forum:
      -
      http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?39634-Death-Wizard-Tips-and-Tricks
      -
      http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?420404-A-Guide-to-Death-Gear-Level-50

Andrea MoonRider, Exalted Necromancer

THIS GUIDE IS FINISHED AND WILL BE UPDATED AS NEW INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE. THANKS!
      Last edited by winterborn; 12-15-15 at 11:27:10 PM. Reason: more info, references and thanks mentions.

Brian Titanblade is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Brian Titanblade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian TitanBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Which one?
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Rescue Rover/ Rain Beetle/ Storm Hound

Mood:
      Doh

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: The Living Dead: A Guide on How to be a Necromancer

Very thorough, great guide!!

TheDrakeFlame is offline Apprentice Wizard

• TheDrakeFlame's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Chris Drakeflame, Sierra Mist
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Buddy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Fox

Mood:
      No Status

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

This guide is incredible and I could tell you put a lot of time and effort into this. Great job!

SpiritThief is offline Master Wizard

• SpiritThief's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Mah'rek Irisi Ahmir Fayed Sihathor Yakobaam Djeserit
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Sam
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Patriotic Leprechaun

Mood:
      Geeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'll have that list to ya soon. My computer has been funky and deleted the list I had lol. Thanks for the acknowledgment Also, under the spell recommendation for 5-15, wraith is a spell that we don't learn until level 42. Assuming you mean the pet, ignore that last part
      Last edited by Paige MoonShade; 5-26-15 at 9:30:39 AM. Reason: No need to quote whole guide

credit to Camille for the wonderful avatar.
      "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy, my reality is just different from yours." ― Lewis Carroll

winterborn is offline Adept Wizard

• winterborn's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Stephanie UnicornThief
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
      ----

Mood:
      Thinking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>SpiritThief View Post
      I'll have that list to ya soon. My computer has been funky and deleted the list I had lol. Thanks for the acknowledgment Also, under the spell recommendation for 5-15, wraith is a spell that we don't learn until level 42. Assuming you mean the pet, ignore that last part
      That's actually a blooper, it was supposed to be Banshee xD. Thanks for pointing that out! And its OK about the list, no pressure. I just wanted to post it so I can get more feedback and see what other things people think the guide might need, etc. I also have one last section that I'm working on.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
      ----

Mood:
      Thinking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

This guide is finished. -sighs of relief- ^.^''

bored471 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• bored471's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Flint Lifeshade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
      ----

Mood:
      Tired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>winterborn View Post
      This guide is finished. -sighs of relief- ^.^''
      @winterborn, This guide is pure amazing!

Professor Florian is offline Adept Wizard

• Professor Florian's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Alejandro Lightbloom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Brutus
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dryad

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

@winterborn Can you make a life one too? Your guide is amazing!

nilrem129

Credits: Expelliarmus

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
      ----

Mood:
      Thinking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>bored471 View Post
      @winterborn, This guide is pure amazing!
      Quote Originally Posted by nilrem129 View Post
      @winterborn Can you make a life one too? Your guide is amazing!

nilrem129
      Thanks guys! I'm really glad you like it.
      @nilrem129 Its not on the plans because I only made this guide based on how familiar I am with death school (its my main character) I've never leveled up a Life wiz past level 10. Maybe down the road, when I learn more about the school.

Robobot1747 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Robobot1747's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Kane WildThief
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Vaden
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Enchanted Armament

Mood:
      Trolling

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I want to make a pet suggestion: Use an Enchanted Armament. To heck with talents, those Sharpened Blade cards are really, really, really helpful. I used that pet from level 36 (when I first got it) onwards. The Gladiator is surprisingly easy to beat, even with a team of all magus wizards, and the pet is a common drop.

Also, don't get critical/block talents, those are really, really bad. It's about 1% crit/block per talent, that talent slot is better off with damage, heal, or resist.
      Last edited by Robobot1747; 8-14-15 at 11:13:43 AM.
      "Fire can be quenched. Storms can dissipate. Myths can simply be forgotten. But Death... Death is constant. Death has existed long before you came to be and it will exist long after it takes you."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast