•  Heckhound

Mood:
      Daring

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Item Melding

As we all know, when looking for teams to quest or do dungeons with, if you don’t have top of the notch gear, half of the players in this game won’t even look at you. But, if you can’t find a group to farm for better gear with, how are you ever even supposed to improve your stats? You’re stuck in an endless cycle of frustration and upset until some friendly players come along and help you.
      But, what if there were a way that these friendly players could help you get better gear without having to spend countless hours in a dungeon?
      What if there was a way to combine your stats with someone else, and end up with something random and exciting?

After collaborating with @Lucas Rain for a little, we’ve come up with a brand new system that would give players with better gear a chance to help the unfortunate, and give bored players something new to mess around with: Gear Melding.

Once you reach level 30, you will have access to five new Smiths. These Smiths can hang out in one of the buildings across from the Fairegrounds in Wizard City.

The first Smith you visit will allow you to combine any gear item with another player, similar to how you can hatch pets. There will be minimal restrictions on the items you can combine, such as a level 40 robe can only be mixed with robes level 30-50, and a level 45 ring can only be mixed with rings level 30-50. Crowns items will not be allowed to be melded.

After both players confirm they want to combine said gear, they will be given a quest and a timer-slot in a new Melding section will be used.

A quest you say? Why a quest? And what do you mean by that?
      Well, gear doesn’t really come out of eggs, so it can’t really hatch, so how else would you get it? The quests would not be too complicated either, they would simply require you to defeat a few mobs to collect a certain supply or visit an old world to collect an item. (Such as the Supply Crates in Marleybone, Gold in the Cenote in Azteca, Brimstone from the Forum in Dragonspyre, Jade Loutses from the Cave of Solitude in Mooshu).
      The items you needed to collect would be default depending on the items you melded in order to keep the system simplified(i.e. all hats would require you to get these same items, all athames would require you to get other items).

After you collect all of the necessary ingredients, you would turn your quest in and receive a new Crude item (A Crude Robe if you mixed robes, Crude Hat, etc.) This would help keep the system organized and would help clarify to other players that the item was obtained through melding if they were checking out your stats.

Of course, some stats on your new item could be lower than what you had before, but others could be slightly greater. If you wanted to further augment your stats, you could visit one of four other Smiths:
      -The “Will” Smith would help you improve your Health, Mana, Critical Hit/Block, and Outgoing Heal aspects
      -the “Strength” Smith would focus on the Damage, Power Pip, Resistance, Outgoing Heal, Stun Resistance, and Critical Block
      -the “Agility” Smith would help with the Damage, Accuracy, Resistance, Critical Hit, Incoming Heal, and Armor Pierce
      -the “Intellect” Smith would help with the Mana, Accuracy Power Pips, Critical Block, Outgoing Heal, and Stun Resistance

When you talk to one of these Smiths, they’d allow you to select a melded item from your inventory (like how you pick adult pets before hatching). They would then give you a quest to go collect new items to help improve the stats shown above on the item. The quest would be default according to which Smith you visit. After you complete the quest, your item would be upgraded to a Standard Level. There would only be three levels of improvement, Crude, Standard, and Ancient, so no item would become too overpowered.
      Every time you meld two items, it would take up a new time-slot, called a Melding-Slot. How long it takes for the slot to open again would depend on the rarity and level of the gear mixed.

Items combined could take an average of 12-15 hours if they were level 30, shorter for more common items(such as everyday drops), longer for rarer(drops like Waterworks gear and Malistaire gear).
      -items could take 15-18 hours at level 40
      -18-21 hrs at level 50
      -21-24 hrs at level 60
      -24-27 hrs at level 70
      -27-30 hrs at level 80
      -30-33 hrs at level 90
      -33-36 hrs at level 100 --- and there could member perks and elixirs available in the Crown Shop to decrease this time.
      The price to meld items could also be dependent on the level and rarity, as well.

Additional Information:
      -You would only be able to combine melded gear once. Meaning that if you combined two Malistaire robes, and received a new robe, you could meld that robe again with another robe. But, the third-generation robe would no longer be able to be melded.
      -After combining items, the gear would be given the standard noob-look and you would have to stitch it for appearance, if you so choose to do so. (up for debate)

I think it would be awesome to see this system in place because it would truly allow for diversity among players. Socketing tries to do this, but I don’t really know how I feel about that whole process yet :P
      It would provide another distraction for players, so there would be less whining for new content, and KI could easily make money off of it if they added elixirs to decrease the amount of time between each meld.

TL;DR
      Item Melding allows you to create new stats on your gear. All you have to do is-
      -talk to a new Smith
      -the Smith will combine your gear with someone else's
      -do a simple quest, and wait for timer to expire
      -get unique stat combination gear, with some good aspects, some bad
      -improve combination stat gear up to 3 times with other Smith Trainers
      -combine gear again one more time if you want
      and Tada!

What are your thoughts, comments, concerns? c:
      Last edited by GraceBear; 5-3-15 at 6:53:12 PM. Reason: added tl;dr

Frostwind is offline Apprentice Wizard

• Frostwind's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jasmine Swiftblade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Chance
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Stormdancer
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Item Melding

That seems way too complicated and the results would be OP. Why not just add better drop or crafted stuff?

Lucas Rain is offline Adept Wizard

• Lucas Rain's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Lucas Dune
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Miss Harley
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Harpy
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I mean, my name is on this post, but I'd use this all the time.

• You would not be as limited to the prescribed "build" for your school, and can make items that suit your needs. Melded gear would make mastery amulets worthwhile for the first time since Celestian crafted gear, and with time and training you could come up with some tailored gear sets for any occasion.
      • It's great for new players as well, who might be frustrated that they only get boosts their own school's damage and resist, health and pips, and nothing else.

The smiths await you.
      Name:  blacksmith shack.gif
Views: 241
Size:  64.0 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwind View Post
      That seems way too complicated and the results would be OP. Why not just add better drop or crafted stuff?
      Actually, no, there are safeguards against things becoming OP. The resulting gear has to be trained, and it can only be trained 3 times to unlock its "full potential" for any statistic. Additionally, the gear boosts depend on what smiths you went to, so you couldn't get something omni-powerful.

Why not add better stuff? Because that's a strain on the development team. If they allow us to create gear sets we like, that's a load of work they don't have to do.

GraceBear is offline Magus Wizard

• GraceBear's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Grace Bear
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baxter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Heckhound

Mood:
      Daring

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwind View Post
      Sure, they could just add better drops, but we all know that they would have a .0000000001 percent drop rate, and then everyone will still have cookie-cutter stats. This allows for diversity and creativity among players. No longer will you have to have a certain gear set in order to be successful, you would be able to create your own.
      And, I'm not saying that you could increase the stats by a lot, anyways. The changes would be reasonable and controlled, so nothing would become too powerful.

FamilyWiz is offline Transcendent Wizard

• FamilyWiz's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Angel Death
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Krokotopia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Angel
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  snowy cat

Mood:
      Happy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Defeat and collect quests to "train" (train inanimate objects? you need a better term for it) them to their full potential? No, thank you. If I had my way, did not collect quests would disappear. I'd rather craft.

I like the idea of melding like hatching but:

a) This is way too complicated.
      b) If it's going to become as annoying as hatching and we have to wait forever for the right gear as we do pets we use as gear, it's not worth it. Pets are not restricted to levels and, therefore, can be an ongoing project. (Even though, personally, I think they should be less complicated.) Gear, not so much. You start out on a noob wizard working on a pet that improves with you. No way will gear melding work at being as complicated. You'll simply level out of it before it's of use to you.
      c) Five smiths instead of one? Ridiculous. You shouldn't have to run through five smiths to get various stats.

In short, I'd never go for it as described. If tweaked into something workable, I'd consider it but I would much rather see the jewel system improved and changed into what it should have been to begin with. Neither is going to happen, judging by KI's previous actions.

Game is in critical danger.
      Playing thru Avalon -- not paying.
      Reagent Hoarding Group

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Grace Bear
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baxter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Heckhound

Mood:
      Daring

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWiz View Post
      Defeat and collect quests to "train" (train inanimate objects? you need a better term for it) them to their full potential? No, thank you. If I had my way, did not collect quests would disappear. I'd rather craft.

I like the idea of melding like hatching but:

a) This is way too complicated.
      b) If it's going to become as annoying as hatching and we have to wait forever for the right gear as we do pets we use as gear, it's not worth it. Pets are not restricted to levels and, therefore, can be an ongoing project. (Even though, personally, I think they should be less complicated.) Gear, not so much. You start out on a noob wizard working on a pet that improves with you. No way will gear melding work at being as complicated. You'll simply level out of it before it's of use to you.
      c) Five smiths instead of one? Ridiculous. You shouldn't have to run through five smiths to get various stats.

In short, I'd never go for it as described. If tweaked into something workable, I'd consider it but I would much rather see the jewel system improved and changed into what it should have been to begin with. Neither is going to happen, judging by KI's previous actions.
      The process is really not as complicated as it seems, I just used a lot of words to explain it. Sorry, bad habit. (check out the tl;dr to see it simplified)
      And, I never said there had to be insanely hard did not collect quests. There are quests in the game that just require you to defeat a certain mob x amount of times. This could be like that. However, if you prefer crafting that's your own decision. I'm just trying to provide a new way for players to get original gear in the game.
      You could spend just as much time farming a dungeon for a gear item as you could improving a different item with this system, so the time required isn't that dramatic. Plus, certain gear sets you use for more than just a few levels (ie Waterworks) so they could last longer than a few levels, equating to how certain pets last longer than a few levels, like you said. And, people have multiple pets, too. Not everyone is lucky enough to have one pet that can help them in all situations, regardless of the level, so it's not always like once you get the perfect pet you're done for good- the same would be here with stats.
      And, I honestly don't see how having multiple smiths makes it complicated. I did that to help simplify it. In the first few worlds, the recipe vendors for gear are scattered in various locations- if anything that is complicated. Here, they would all be next to eachother. It would just be like going to a different game in the pet pavilion- Each Smith focuses on a different aspect, each game boosts different stats.
      Last edited by GraceBear; 5-3-15 at 9:06:46 PM. Reason: reworded stuff

MasterOfTheWildHunt is offline Magus Wizard

• MasterOfTheWildHunt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cassandra, Alex, Valdus
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Sun
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lily
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Jade Hound

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Elliptical Midnight View Post
      Sure, they could just add better drops, but we all know that they would have a .0000000001 percent drop rate, and then everyone will still have cookie-cutter stats. This allows for diversity and creativity among players. No longer will you have to have a certain gear set in order to be successful, you would be able to create your own.
      And, I'm not saying that you could increase the stats by a lot, anyways. The changes would be reasonable and controlled, so nothing would become too powerful.
      This is the type of response that really highlights the need for this mechanic.

Individuality in this game aside from stitching and coloring gear is essentially non-existent. Every time some shiny new gear is introduced, the old is abandoned. This, I am OK with, except the fact that eventually everyone will again have the same exact gear that must be farmed from the exact same place with the exact same strategies.

However, I think this idea presents some challenges because of how much programming it may require. I also noticed some possible flaws:

What does "melded" gear look like?
      Are all "melded" gears named the same thing?
      Would there be a way to see (from another player's perspective) what 2 pieces of gear were "melded" together to make said piece of gear?
      3 110 Characters on the Leaderboard, 1 more to go
      Forum Rules | Forum Leaders | Wizard101.com

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Grace Bear
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baxter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Heckhound

Mood:
      Daring

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfTheWildHunt View Post
      This is the type of response that really highlights the need for this mechanic.

Individuality in this game aside from stitching and coloring gear is essentially non-existent. Every time some shiny new gear is introduced, the old is abandoned. This, I am OK with, except the fact that eventually everyone will again have the same exact gear that must be farmed from the exact same place with the exact same strategies.

However, I think this idea presents some challenges because of how much programming it may require. I also noticed some possible flaws:

What does "melded" gear look like?
      Are all "melded" gears named the same thing?
      Would there be a way to see (from another player's perspective) what 2 pieces of gear were "melded" together to make said piece of gear?
      Diversity was one of the key parts in creating this system, I'm glad that you second that sometimes it's boring seeing the same-old, same-old all the time. Both PvE and PvP could be more interesting if you never knew how things would turn out because people had different options available to them

And as for your questions-
      1,In the OP, I said that melded gear could just be given the standard noob-look, but that is also up for debate.
      2. I think that in order to help keep it organized, all melded items should have the same generic name
      3. No, I don't really know how that would work. You would just have to ask the player how they got their gear. If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know.
      Last edited by GraceBear; 5-3-15 at 9:08:15 PM. Reason: their vs there- I belong in 1st grade

Lucas Rain is offline Adept Wizard

• Lucas Rain's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Lucas Dune
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Miss Harley
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Harpy
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Indeed, this is not complicated. It's hatching meets gear, it's just an expansion of stuff we've seen before.

Hypothetically, say we've got a Level 35 Fire wizard...
      • Just got into Mooshu
      • Crowns player, but no crowns gear
      • gets Fire accuracy gear from the Bazaar
      • health, damage, resistance, pips are bad

Right now, she uses the Cowl of Apprehension. But let's say she friends someone who has a hat that would help round out her current stats:

Cowl of Apprehension
      Name:  164px-(Item)_Cap_of_Apprehension_Female.png
Views: 339
Size:  51.3 KB

+53 health
      +3% Fire accuracy

Cowl of the Rime
      Name:  166px-(Item)_Cowl_of_the_Rime_Male.png
Views: 317
Size:  57.6 KB

+156 health
      +5% resistance
      +1% Ice accuracy

So, these players visit the smith station, they get quests, they turn it in. Nothing complicated here, we've all talked and collected before.

Hypothetically, here's the resulting hat, that appears with randomized combination of stats.

Crude Melded Cowl
      1st generation
      Name:  (Item)_Cap_of_Advantages_Female.png
Views: 332
Size:  41.0 KB

+70 health
      +1% Fire accuracy
      +1% resistance
      +1% Ice accuracy

So, here's the "Crude" level referred to in the OP. Not overpowered at all, but it is a better, more well-rounded hat. The smith would also tell you there is also the "Ancient" and the "Epic" level, and if you want your piece to be even better, you should go see the other smiths.

Refining the gear would raise those stats a little, but since it levels up to max after two more smith visits, you have to choose carefully which stats you want to raise.

The end result is that this player gets completely unique gear that makes Mooshu a little bit easier.

Prince of Shadows is offline Legendary Wizard

• Prince of Shadows's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Blaze Starforge, Angus ShadowSword, Talon Thundershield
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  too many to list
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  most of them, lol

Mood:
      Busy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Gear doesn't need to be better at level than it is now. This would be more complex from a programming standpoint than adding items. No more changes to game mechanics, please.

I'd like to see 100% of KI effort on fixing bugs and adding new content, not re-inventing things that aren't broken.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast