----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Death School Tank (PVE) Guide

death tanking is easy. you gear as if you were a damage so gear sets like waterworks, hades ect works great. you will want a proof defy pet as minimum (armament or any death buff giving pet should be what you want to use).

best set up is take all the death blades you can put in, 3 learned sharpens, if you use armament at mega, 3 pet sharpen, and your choice wether to use a gear sharpen (wouldnt be a reliable way to blade stack for death blades but can be done at times) or another amulet with death/spirit blades). 3 attacks are the minimum 4 if you worried about length of battle, reshuffle, and if you have conviction or stun block. recommended attacks to carry for majority of situations is 1 dr. von, 2-3 scarecrow with colossal enchant. if you soloing multiple bosses you can go all dr.von to eliminate bosses indiviually faster.

as a tank your not generally going for big damage hits rather to keep your health up while holding aggro. so monitor your health, and thier pips. the longer you can buff the more you help damage dealers.

the nice thing about death tanks is. i have yet to see a storm out aggro me without another wizard buffing his damage as well. which means damage dealers wont pull off you and potentially die. (if built right they should live if they did happen to pull it but not all wizards balance thier stats out right and this tank will help protect them) i personally run it without spirit blades in group dungeons due to thier pip cost. if you want to though you can use, its your choice, just remember as tank you need to attack to keep your health up as death tank, this eliminates a lot of stress on the heals allowing them more time to build pips as well as aid in damage buffing.

for a visual here is a youtube video i have found showcasing death tank at hades:

Last edited by Malvin LifeDreamer; 4-20-15 at 12:56:25 PM.

Rayzer is offline Exalted

• Rayzer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  The Fairycaller Clan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Moose
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Bloodbat

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Death School Tank (PVE) Guide

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Rebecca AzuraKin View Post
      death tanking is easy. you gear as if you were a damage so gear sets like waterworks, hades ect works great. you will want a proof defy pet as minimum (armament or any death buff giving pet should be what you want to use).

best set up is take all the death blades you can put in, 3 learned sharpens, if you use armament at mega, 3 pet sharpen, and your choice wether to use a gear sharpen (wouldnt be a reliable way to blade stack for death blades but can be done at times) or another amulet with death/spirit blades). 3 attacks are the minimum 4 if you worried about length of battle, reshuffle, and if you have conviction or stun block. recommended attacks to carry for majority of situations is 1 dr. von, 2-3 scarecrow with colossal enchant. if you soloing multiple bosses you can go all dr.von to eliminate bosses indiviually faster.

as a tank your not generally going for big damage hits rather to keep your health up while holding aggro. so monitor your health, and thier pips. the longer you can buff the more you help damage dealers.

the nice thing about death tanks is. i have yet to see a storm out aggro me without another wizard buffing his damage as well. which means damage dealers wont pull off you and potentially die. (if built right they should live if they did happen to pull it but not all wizards balance thier stats out right and this tank will help protect them) i personally run it without spirit blades in group dungeons due to thier pip cost. if you want to though you can use, its your choice, just remember as tank you need to attack to keep your health up as death tank, this eliminates a lot of stress on the heals allowing them more time to build pips as well as aid in damage buffing.

for a visual here is a youtube video i have found showcasing death tank at hades:

https://youtu.be/B85QpwE4N6Y
      Step by step with pictures would help.
      Thanks to Ashley Frost for the Signature

Rebecca AzuraKin is offline Fizzled
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Rayzer View Post
      Step by step with pictures would help.
      step by step what? this isn't a this is how you play do this or you not tanking. this is a guide on effective tanking tools for death school with an example in the video posted of how it plays out. probably biggest issue i have seen in this game, is players will sit there with blades to kill something and dont cause they want all thier blades up, then seen them lose blades. i am merely giving them a frame work with which to build thier own death tank style.

plus if you watch the video i showcase the stats, gear, and pet i use, with tips on why i use it. i also show the death tank in action against hades.

Rayzer is offline Exalted

• Rayzer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  The Fairycaller Clan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Moose
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Bloodbat

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

This is a great topic, and I'm very pleased that the author took it upon themselves to go through the process. I have much difficulty with my Death wizard, and am grateful for any help. Well Done!

I'm not worried about the grammar or spelling, that I can work around, although someone who is English as a Second Language, may have more or less difficulty than I do.

If not step by step, then perhaps divided into sections? I'd like to see this as the guide rather than a pointer to the guide on another site. Right now the description kind of looks like a wall of text.

Something like this as I would describe my Life Tank (in very simplified form):

1. Gear and Stats
      Jade Hood, Robe and Boots, Sidhe Staff, The Dark Woman's Dagger, Death Mastery Amulet, Ring of the Dying Star, Ward Enchanted Armament Pet, Deck of the Shadow Heart. You may substitute Waterworks, or Malistaire gear, if you don't have Jade, with lessened results.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2015-04-20 13-35-03.jpg 
Views:	1482 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	503448 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2015-04-20 13-35-05.jpg 
Views:	1410 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	503449

2. Deck
      2 Colossal,
      1 Potent Trap,
      1 Sharpened Blade,
      1 Rebirth,
      2 Deer Knight,
      2 Feint,
      1 Reshuffle,
      2 Elemental or Spiritual Blades (depending on hitter)
      Add a heal if you are not using Jade gear.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2015-04-20 13-38-04.jpg 
Views:	1704 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	503445 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2015-04-20 13-36-44.jpg 
Views:	1387 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	503446

3. Strategy
      Enter one round before all of your teammates and cast Deer Knight on the enemies.
      Buff your Hammer, and Heal when necessary.

8. Notes and Summary

As a Tank you are not going for big damage; just enough early on to gain and keep Aggro on yourself and away from your Hammer.

9 Glossary of Terms
      Aggro: Short for aggressive or aggression. In Wizard101 it refers to an enemy attacking you, instead of others on your team.
      You want the Tank to have as much Aggro as possible, and a Hammer to have little or none.

Hammer: A term used when a single player is meant to be the main hitter for a team in Wizard101.

Edit: Note how my deck section seems easier to read than the gear section, even though both are simply lists.
      Last edited by Paige MoonShade; 4-20-15 at 2:20:30 PM. Reason: removed quote
      Thanks to Ashley Frost for the Signature

Rebecca AzuraKin is offline Fizzled
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

watch my video to see how a death tank works, ignore raynars post as he obviously doesnt understand deaths strengths for tanking. death is what is called a damage based tank, other game examples would be, elder scrolls online: nightblade siphon tank, world of warcraft:necromancer. these all use skills that damage opponents and heal self and in some games even allies.

Ryan. is offline Transcendent Wizard

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

People may tank differently. People may also make guides differently. @Rayzer is simply suggesting one way to tank, and one way to setup a guide that may make it easier to find information. However, I would like to point out that if all you are trying to do is get the enemies/bosses/mobs/monsters to aim for you there may be more effective ways for this. Your strategy means that rather than helping out the team as a whole by blading, or even healing you attack to make them aim for you. This may work, but there are also more efficient ways of doing things.

Since your strategy does depend on being quick(There arent many actual hits) this might not work for everyone.
      Last edited by Ryan.; 4-20-15 at 8:41:31 PM.

Paige MoonShade is offline Guide Moderator

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Gentle reminder- Guide replies are for helping and thanking the guide creator. I see nothing wrong with rayzer offering suggestions though it is up to the guide creator to use the suggestions or not. Please let's keep this civil.

Thank you
      Paige MoonShade
      http://www.wizard101central.com/foru...1-Guides-Forum

Moving Avie By Isaac Silverstone

Starbreaker is offline Legendary Wizard

• Starbreaker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Gabriel Shadow blade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MarleyBone
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  N/a

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

How does this set up work in castle darkmoore since you would have to be running all jade gear due to peirce being around 55% or more. I dont see you both tanking and killing at the same time. And with the video that posted with hades instance piercing isnt as big of a deal but his block wasn't good. My storm and fire have more and often suffer for critical. If conviction is used your wizard will likely block but due to high end accuracy lack it would increase your critical chance.Is there a level this set up best at?

Mad Hatter is offline Magus Wizard

• Mad Hatter's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Rowan ShawdowCrafter,Tabitha SoulThief,Sabrina SilverBlood,Ellie Mist,Alura PixieDust,Molly Moon
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Pepper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  ALL DA PETS

Mood:
      Artistic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Starbreaker View Post
      How does this set up work in castle darkmoore since you would have to be running all jade gear due to peirce being around 55% or more. I dont see you both tanking and killing at the same time. And with the video that posted with hades instance piercing isnt as big of a deal but his block wasn't good. My storm and fire have more and often suffer for critical. If conviction is used your wizard will likely block but due to high end accuracy lack it would increase your critical chance.Is there a level this set up best at?
      This set up would not work in Darkmoor as tank death, nor does it do an efficient tactic for Hades..at least in my opinion.
      I like to set up the "hitter" as fast as possible (blades, feints, traps, and weaken the bosses) This is considering the cheats of bosses of course. I would never hit (being any school) if I am tanking lol. There goes the feints lol. Unless the cheat is we cant feint or must need to hit the boss (Belloq or Shane like bosses)

I think you either need to go all out as a hitter or tanker/supporter when you do dungeons. Hmm maybe I will make a guide...
      Last edited by Mad Hatter; 5-13-15 at 3:00:52 PM.

cooldude1 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• cooldude1's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Ryan Duskspear
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Prince Mandy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Scarecrow

Mood:
      PC Gaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Sweet that will help me out a lot when I decide to tank something like Darkmoor. I better farm for whatever gear I don't have.