•  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Cat, Red Ghost, Enchanted Armament, Pixie Queen 57 (Card)

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: A Guide to Death Gear Level 50+

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>JohnJSal View Post
      This is an excellent guide!

But I'm wondering, should we keep the Waterworks gear all the way to level 100 (as is suggested would work), or is it better to replace it with the crafted gear listed for 70 through 90? I don't know what stats are best to have, so I can't tell what may be an improvement.

Thanks!
      Waterworks boots must be replaced ASAP - their block is way too low. You might skip Zafaria crafted boots, but definitely make those in Avalon (same crafting rank as Zafaria's, 76+ character level) and later Azteca (not so easy, Potent Trap might not drop for a very long time). Wands and boots are the two sources of high block, and the higher your level is, the bigger single chunks of block you need for it to be effective.

The hat and robe in Waterworks, though, are very adequate and need little to no upgrading if you PvE only.
      My wizards: Corwin Swiftcatcher (Death), Alexandra Winterflower (Ice), Darby Firebreeze (Fire), Katie Wildheart (Storm), Heather (Life), Sarah LionHeart (Myth).

JohnJSal is offline Initiate Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Zarin64 View Post
      Waterworks boots must be replaced ASAP - their block is way too low. You might skip Zafaria crafted boots, but definitely make those in Avalon (same crafting rank as Zafaria's, 76+ character level) and later Azteca (not so easy, Potent Trap might not drop for a very long time). Wands and boots are the two sources of high block, and the higher your level is, the bigger single chunks of block you need for it to be effective.

The hat and robe in Waterworks, though, are very adequate and need little to no upgrading if you PvE only.
      I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with those zones yet. Can you tell me which boots are from Zafaria, Avalon, and Azteca?

Thank you for the reply!

Zarin64 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Zarin64's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Corwin Swiftcatcher
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with those zones yet. Can you tell me which boots are from Zafaria, Avalon, and Azteca?

Thank you for the reply!
      Your next world after Celestia is Zafaria. There is an NPC there, named Koyate Ghostmane. This lion gives you a Legendary Artisan quest, which is not easy to complete (requires, among other things, 64 Fossil which is one of the rarest reagents unless you pick up every stone block pile you see and/or garden some Stone Block and Fossil-dropping plants for a long time) but is definitely worth it. After you complete the quest, you will be able to buy a recipe for Chillgrave Footguards. The resist is slightly lower than Hangman's, but the block is much higher and that's what you are looking for.

In the next world, Avalon, there is a leprechaun named Shane MacGobhann, who has recipes for boots which are the upgrades of Zafarian ones. Death wizards should craft Forest Hearth Boots. Again, notice the block and an already better resist, as well as accuracy and damage.

Finally, in Azteca, you'll have to finish another hard crafting quest (hard because you'll have to farm Azteca bosses for Potent Trap card or hope it drops for you while questing, unless you manage to get it as a harvest from Ultra Alligator Pear Tree). However, you'll be able to buy a recipe for the next upgrade named Bright Wing Boots - matching Hangman's in resist, getting closer in damage and providing some superior block. I'd say you don't really have to craft those, being marginally better than Forest Hearth Boots, but they won't hurt.

I said "finally" in the previous paragraph despite having a recipe in the next world, Khrysalis (needs another crafting quest to complete, but that one is easy). This is because the boots there, called Frosted Mantis Footgear, have a lower resist and block value, instead significantly adding to Death damage. It's OK, but fits a different play style.

I'd say getting Legendary Artisan crafting badge is almost mandatory, because it opens a possibility of crafting a Deer Knight spell - a shining jewel among all crafted spells. Having it makes your kills much quicker. Transcendent Crafter is not as pressing though still looks attractive enough to me.

As you go through worlds, don't forget to look at all wand recipes - some of them (in particular those with Ice attacks) offer very good block values, not much worse than the best dropped crowns-only wands (such as Wyrd-Oak Staff of Brutal Ice Arrow Rod). However, this is one area where hoard packs shine, with all those high-block and/or high-critical wands. I managed to get enough Wyvern's Hoard Packs from playing Grub Guardian to accumulate a few Greenwarden's Brilliant Staves, with their great critical block attributes. There are even better packs for that (Hoard of the Hydra?), but you'll have to spend crowns on them.
      My wizards: Corwin Swiftcatcher (Death), Alexandra Winterflower (Ice), Darby Firebreeze (Fire), Katie Wildheart (Storm), Heather (Life), Sarah LionHeart (Myth).

----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thanks! I ran Waterworks last night but didn't get anything. I was disappointed to find that there are no chests to try again for gear. I'm not a fan of farming dungeons for drops, especially since bosses in this game drop a ton of things and the odds are terrible of getting what I want.

I may just stick with my crafted 56 gear for now and see how that goes. What would be the nearest upgrade from this? Is it worth doing, or can this gear last me until the 76 crafted gear?

Zarin64 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Zarin64's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Corwin Swiftcatcher
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I may just stick with my crafted 56 gear for now and see how that goes. What would be the nearest upgrade from this? Is it worth doing, or can this gear last me until the 76 crafted gear?
      Oh, you can totally skip Waterworks. One piece of level 56 crafted equipment that is easy to replace is the body armor - there is a crafted one with a better resist. Let's see... aha! Robes of the Spotted Leopard in Zafaria loses the Death Trap item card, some damage and replaces power pip chance with a little bit of accuracy, but adds 5% to overall resist, which is usually better for soloers. Just like boots, you'll replace those Zafarian robes with Avalon's (Longcoat of the Wold) and Azteca's (Hungry Night Robes). Unlike boots, Khrysalis' crafted robe - Raiment of the Cataclysm - is a really worthy item. It loses a little bit (1%) of resist compared to Azteca's (so is on par with Avalon/Zafaria), but gains some damage and provides a huge boost to Death accuracy - +15%! The recipe is not exactly easy due to the required TCs, but is manageable.

The hat is still a masterpiece, but you might (or might not!) want to replace it as well. Since the same Deathblade can be obtained by buying Shango's Deathblade Amulet (gem merchant in Baobab Market, Zafaria), you can go for crafted hats with additional, stackable boosts. All of those will lose universal resist, replacing it with resists to Myth and Life, though. However, the crafted hats are also great sources of critical - see if you want to go that route.

Deadly Jungle Hood in Zafaria gives you an extra Spirit Blade - a really good addition. The critical is already nice, but there are better alternatives down the road.

Mantle of the Wold in Avalon gives you a Spirit Trap, which is not as good as a blade. The critical on it is really serious, though.

Hungry Night Mask in Azteca is really questionable. The critical is not much different from Avalon's, and Spirit Spear is not as attractive a spell.

Mantis Cowl of Lamentation in Khrysalis does not have any item cards, but provides some huge critical and, in addition to Myth and Life resist, gives the same Death resist. You'll be really protected from Spirit schools .

Having said that - it's really hard to beat Hangman's Hood (WaterWorks) and Dire Chieftain's Helm. Their universal resist is great for questing, and the damage is hard to match. I personally find critical not reliable enough to build around it, so all those crafted hats are not exactly appealing to me. Fortunately, the hat is dropped by Luska, not Sylster, so you don't have to dive all the way through the pipes . Hangman's Hood is fantastic at level 60 and still very good 30-40 levels later .

----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Zarin64 View Post
      Oh, you can totally skip Waterworks...
      Thank you so much for the detailed responses! I may go ahead and keep the 56 crafted gear for now and then look into the crafted gear after 70. The only problem is that I'm already 63 and just started Celestia, so I'm probably way behind in terms of getting to where I need to go for the crafting quest and recipes. I'll just have to get ported I guess. (Edit: Maybe not. Getting the recipe seems to require a quest chain that involves completing Celestia first )

Edit: Specifically, I may keep the 56 hat and robes, and when I get to 76 craft the Forest Hearth Boots. Seems like a decent plan, right? The biggest difference between the 56 crafted gear and Waterworks gear seems to be that the latter has more resist, but hopefully that won't matter too much, because I really don't enjoy running through a dungeon hoping for a drop.
      Last edited by JohnJSal; 10-20-15 at 3:04:34 PM.

----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I just entered Stormriven and looked at the boot recipes from Enid Crowe. They seem pretty good, yet are not listed on this page. They have about equal health to the 56 crafted boots, more damage and block, and some accuracy. They are missing the power pip chance and the resistance.

Would these be a good choice to replace the 56 crafted boots? Or is the resistance what makes these better?

Here's one of the possibilities: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki...#axzz3pLvqnfkC

Edit: Just noticed her recipes *are* listed under the level 55 suggested gear, but apparently they aren't considered good enough to beat the 56 gear.
      Last edited by JohnJSal; 10-22-15 at 10:09:28 PM.

Death Lord is offline Master Wizard

• Death Lord's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Michael Ghostbringer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Too many ;)
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Cat

Mood:
      Netflix

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Great guide, I jut got back into playing my necro and I think this'll really help me zoom through worlds!

Wiki:Rules:Staff:The Knights:Plant Likes & Locations Guide
      PvP me in the Low Level Ladder!
      ~Adept Duelist~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123