Ryan. is offline Transcendent Wizard

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

A Guide to Death Gear Level 50+

This guide will be about death gear throughout the spiral, and will list some of the best gear available for each level range. I would make it based on world instead of level range, but people tend to enter worlds at different levels. On top of that some of the best gear later on doesnt exactly come from the world you would be in. Example being Waterworks. With that being said lets begin!

Hats, Robes, and Boots

Level 50
      At level 50 you are suddenly given all new stats critical and critical block. At level 50 its hard to find gear that doesnt give up everything for these 2 new stats. Critical is never a stat you want to focus on. Critical block is better to focus on because it will keep alive. However, its better to get it naturally along with your other gear. Its not something to abandon your other stats for. At level 45/50 before Celestia you could use the bazaar gear or Malistaire's old Dragonspyre gear. This is still an option. The battles may not be easy because you cannot block much but they are possible. Even with the suggestions listed you still wont block much. Starting out at level 50 with these new stats you will get almost no block and almost no critical from your gear.

Unless someone suggests something I have nothing to put for level 50 from the bazaar or anywhere else really. There seems to be no gear that provides a death wizard what they need at this level. Health, pips, and damage. I still suggest using level 45 death gear from the bazaar. The other option is to use Olympus gear or gear from Barkingham Palace. While both provide good gear sets you should not focus on farming for them to long.

Level 55
      For the level 55 crafted gear its death damage, death accuracy, and death critical mixed with the accuracy, damage, and critical of another school. It also offers some critical block. The death stats are the same its just up to you to pick a secondary school. As death it doesnt really matter to much as you wont want to use another school's hits anyways. I will list the crafters for each. The decision of what school to mix with is up to you. This gear wont last you long as it has very little critical block, and it has no universal resistance which is almost a requirement at higher levels.

Hat:
      Hamish Willoughby
      Robe:
      Humphrey Thatcher
      Boots:
      Enid Crowe

Level 56

You have 2 options here. You can either use gear from the bazaar or you can use the crafted gear. The crafted gear is slightly under the Waterworks gear and doesnt need to be replaced if you dont want to as it also provides some useful spells like an extra blade and trap. The bazaar gear should definitely be replaced with Waterworks gear.

Bazaar Gear:
      Hat:
      Chaos Helm

Robe:
      Raiment of Wrath

Boots:
      Forbidden Footgear

Crafted Options:

Carax Strongthread

Hat:
      Dire Chieftain's Helm

Robe:
      Chief's Garb of Blight

Boots:
      Boots of Doom and Gloom

Level 58
      Assuming you dont craft you can get gear from the bazaar that works fine. However you definitely need to replace it in 2 levels. There are 2 sets for this level. Only one is listed. I chose the one with critical and block simply because it at least gives some type of block.

Hat:
      Eclipse Cover

Robe:
      Eclipse Cloak

Boots:
      Eclipse Clogs

Level 60
      This gear can sustain you all the way up to Darkmoor. Its the best, and most balanced option you have will have for a good long time and that's all there is to it.

Hat:
      Hangman's Hood

Robe:
      Hangman's Cape

Boots:
      Hangman's Boots

Level 70-80
      Crafted Options helpful for more block and more critical.

Hat:
      Mantle of the Wold

Robe:
      Longcoat of the Wold

Boots:
      Forest Hearth Boots

Level 80-90
      More crafted options. The boots have more block and the rest has more critical.

Hat:
      Hungry Night Mask

Robe:
      Hungry Night Robes

Boots:
      Bright Wing Boots

Level 90-100

Crafted Options:

Hat:
      Mantis Cowl of Lamentation

Robe:
      Raiment of the Cataclysm

Boots:
      Frosted Mantis Footgear

Hades:

Wand:
      Hades' Soul Scythe

Hat:
      Hades' Helm of Torment
      *Needs an image*

Robe:
      Hades' Armor of Torment

Boots:
      Hades' Striders of Torment
      *Needs an image*

Note: Hades gear really isnt needed and at this point really not worth farming for. Stick with crafted or waterworks gear if you can. Still listing it as an option though. Including the wand only since its sort of part of the set here. Also I am only listing the defensive set. Neither is really worth going for but you should probably use this one over the other since this one has universal resist.

Levels 100+
      Darkmoor gear now. Best gear in the game absolutely no competition what so ever. You want the set that has the 105 block boots and the same naming scheme. Other things listed here include Morganthe's ring, atahme, and amulet.

Hat:
      Death Lord's Veil of Woe
      *Needs an image*

Robe:
      Death Lord's Cloak of Woe

Boots:
      Death Lord's Greaves of Woe

Wand:
      Lord of Death's Dragonstaff

Rings, and Athames
      This section is for rings, and athames. Throughout the spiral there are various choices for each. I will list some of them here. Starting with the level 56 set.

Level 50
      Ring: Calamitous Ring

Athame:
      Raven's Onyx Talon

Level 56

Ring:
      Black Spinel of Battle

Athame:
      Bear's Claw of Death

Level 60

Ring:
      Aureate Band

Athame:
      Lexicon Blade

Level 76

This is worth getting for the energy increase.
      Ring:
      Sir Malory's Seal

Level 86

Ring:
      Apocalypto Ring

Athame:
      Storm Caiman's Cruel Fang
      *Needs an Image*

Level 90

Ring:
      Alpha and Omega Ring

Athame:
      Blade of the Felled Titan

Level 96

Ring: Ghost Dog's Samoorai Band

Level 99-100

Ring:
      Insignia of the Dark Woman

Ring:
      Aphrodite's Poisonvine Ring
      *Needs an Image*

Ring:
      Lord of Night's Coil

Athame:
      Lord of Death's Razor
      *Needs an Image*

Athame:
      Mercy of Shadow and Light

Note that at level 100 there are various ring and athame choices. There is no absolute best. The one from Yevgeny though is considered better than the one from Morganthe however, either one works and gets the job done. Technically for rings Alpha and Omega is still the best and has universal block. The others listed work fine though.

Amulets
      For Amulets I suggest using something that will help you or your team in battle. As Death solo you really dont need much and I dont suggest Mastery Amulets. As Death in a group you can still use utility from Amulets or you can use a Mastery to help out with healing or other things. Popular Choices:

Jewel of the Feint(Level 50+)

Shango's Deathblade Amulet(Level 60+)

Shadow Queen's Grace(Level 99+)

Embodiment Of Death Charm(Level 100+)

Death Seeker's Talisman(Level 100+)

Wands
      At level 50 most wands begin to offer critical or critical block along with a power pip. The amount offered is almost nothing. And not worth going for. As such I still suggest the sky iron hasta for the extra 10% damage boost which is just amazing. Later on you can find packs that offer good block wands or get ice wands from the bazaar. The ice wands specifically because they tend to have the most block. I will not suggest buying packs for wands if you plan to level up to 100. Please note that you can spend thousands of crowns and get no wand(I have done this). I would hate to be the reason you spent lots of money and got nothing. I will also list wands from other sources and not just the bazaar in between or as a substitute for bazaar critical block wands.

Level 30

Sky Iron Hasta

Level 70

Ares' Spear of Furor

Level 75

Wyrd-Oak Staff

Level 90

Hades' Soul Scythe

Level 100

Lord of Death's Dragonstaff

Stats
      Things every school needs to worry about. Death wizards naturally have high accuracy. As Death thats not something really important when looking for gear. The main thing death wizards should be focusing on are pips, damage, and health. Until the level 56 gear death has no universal resist. After that it starts to just naturally be part of your gear. All the robes and boots above have it. Another thing to focus on is critical block. Critical is unreliable, but critical block can mean the difference between hitting and dying. After level 60 its best to start using the crafted boots for this reason. They all offer more critical block than the waterworks gear. While the waterworks gear is nice and is perfectly balanced its always nice to have more block. At level 100 Darkmoor is just the absolute best for everyhthing. It is pretty much what everyone wants and what everyone aims to get.

Farming: For farming you really just want to maximize critical and damage. The rest of the stats dont matter. Waterworks gear still is the best. Since you want lots of critical the crafted gear would be the next step. For once I will say Hades gear actually works here because of its high critical so you can kill whatever you are farming faster. Upgrade to Darkmoor when you can.

Defense/Tank/Support: Waterworks for all around best resistance. Upgrade to Darkmoor when you can. Jade gear is also an option if you have the crowns for it. There are also several different ways death can play this role.

All around balanced gear: Waterworks has the best of everything. Upgrade to Darkmoor when you can. Hades gear is not needed and actually loses in some areas. Its just not as balanced.

5/24/2015: Updated, added images, and added more sections. More to come.
      Last edited by Ryan.; 7-5-15 at 10:52:25 PM. Reason: Fixed things up and added in some stuff

Chocolate Truffles is offline Initiate Wizard

• Chocolate Truffles's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Autumn NightDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mister Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Mountain Yeti

Mood:
      Lurking

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: A Guide to Death Gear Level 50+

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Ryan. View Post
      This guide will be about death gear throughout the spiral, and will list some of the best gear available for each level range. I would make it based on world instead of level range, but people tend to enter worlds at different levels. On top of that some of the best gear later on doesnt exactly come from the world you would be in. Example being Waterworks. With that being said lets begin!

Note: I will not include wands here. Those are based on preference. Some people want block, some want critical, some want both..... It just keeps going. I will also not be including decks, rings, athames, or pets. All are simply a matter of preference. I will include 1 wand here going against what I just said. I am only listing that one wand because its part of the hades set of gear.

Levels 1-50
      For this part I will keep it nice and simple. Do whatever you want. Let me explain. The best gear here tends to be from the bazaar. Someone will probably tell you about some boss you should farm instead for your gear. I ask you, whats the point? The difference between the bazaar gear, and gear you could farm from some boss is about 1-2 percentage points per stat. If 1 or 2 percentage points means that much to you then go right ahead farm for that gear! On top of that depending on the player, this part of the game tends to go by pretty fast. By the time you get your gear, you could have gone up another 5-10 levels. There are options. You could farm Mount Olympus for you gear as well, but its not really needed. Anyways this level range isnt for this guide.

There are things to keep in mind though. When buying/farming for gear here remember to have a nice spread of stats. As death you want health, pips, and damage. The resistance to death is just extra. Always stick with this. Universal gear tends to be missing a few things or wont look as good because its UNIVERSAL.

Level 56
      Around level 50 is where the fun begins. New gear is available to you, and critical/critical block come into play. Here is where things start to finally get interesting. From here on out I urge you to ignore almost all bazaar gear(Hat, Robe, Boots). Why? Because you have to. The gear from here on out tends to ignore past things like damage, and pips and instead focuses on critical. Ah critical. I urge you to ignore this stat for now. If you try and get it you will find that you will have barely any critical and you will have lost valuable damage, or pip percentage in the process. The first 6 levels are hard to get through here because there just arent any good options. Things dont really begin to pick up until level 56 when you can get crafted gear.

Carax Strongthread:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/NPC:Carax_Strongthread
      Hat:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Dire_Chieftain%27s_Helm
      Robe:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Chief%27s_Garb_of_Blight
      Boots:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Boots_of_Doom_and_Gloom

Now then if you havent started crafting I advise you to start as some of the gear listed is only available through crafting. As you can see above it can be helpful. This gear listed is an improvement and replacement for any and all gear you have been using thus far. It has everything you could possibly want. On top of that it provides some handy spells you can use like an extra blade that stacks. The Doom and Gloom it gives >.> I dont really like, but whatever. The boots are still worth getting.

Level 58
      Assuming you dont craft you can get gear from the bazaar that works fine. However you definitely need to replace it in 2 levels. There are 2 sets for this level. Only one is listed. I chose the one with critical and block simply because it at least gives some type of block.

Hat:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Eclipse_Cover
      Robe:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Eclipse_Cloak
      Boots:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Eclipse_Clogs

Level 60
      Here things start to get nice and simple. At this level Waterworks can become your best friend or your most hated enemy. Now technically if you got the crafted gear listed above you dont need this new gear. In fact only 4 levels will have passed. However this set tends to be the best and works from level 60 all the way to the current end of the game(level 100) if you dont feel like farming or crafting anything else.

Hat:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Hangman's_Hood
      Robe:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Hangman's_Cape
      Boots:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Hangman's_Boots

Its the best, and most balanced option you have will have for a good long time and thats all there is to it.

Level 70-80
      Here we get some new crafted options. New hats, boots, and robes become available. Here we also get to learn a hard lesson. The block from past gear..... JUST. WONT. WORK! Trust me on this. If you try using the old gear you will probably get hit, and you will get hit hard. Enemies just have more critical from now on, and they tend to critical a lot. Plus they also start using that wonderful little vengeance aura. Which makes blocking that much harder. With that being said here are your options.

Hat:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Mantle_of_the_Wold
      Robe:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Longcoat_of_the_Wold
      Boots:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Forest_Hearth_Boots

One thing you may notice immediately. Other than the boots everything listed has more. More critical at least. This is not a bad thing. Now you dont need the hat. It loses its universal resistance, and depending on who you are that may not be something you are willing to drop. However the boots and robe keep their universal resistance so you should probably just go ahead and get them. You may also notice that the boots have less damage. This is also not a bad thing because it has more of that wonderful block you will need.

Level 80-90
      I honestly dont see the point in adding anything here. Between 80 and 90 you may consider it all upgrades from the previous gear but its not all that important. Plus will find the next set of gear much better. I will list it though because some may want to craft it.

Hat:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Hungry_Night_Mask
      Robe:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Hungry_Night_Robes
      Boots:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Bright_Wing_Boots

The boots do have more block so if you really want to craft those, then I say go for it.

Level 90-100
      You have now reached the current end game gear. There is nothing currently beyond this point. Its the best of the best stuff that you can currently get. Now then before I list the stuff I should mention that this depends entirely on your tolerance level and how patient of a person you truly are. IF you are patient and willing to farm then you pick the hades route. IF farming will annoy you after only 5 or so runs then I advise you to do Hades just once for gear and for the experience. Now then for this section I will also list the wand you can get from Hades since it goes along with the gear set. I will be listing the defensive set. There is no point in listing the offensive set as you would be giving up your universal resistance for it.

Crafted Options:
      Hat:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Mantis_Cowl_of_Lamentation
      Robe:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Raiment_of_the_Cataclysm
      Boots:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Frosted_Mantis_Footgear

Hades:
      Wand:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Hades%27_Soul_Scythe
      Hat:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Hades'_Helm_of_Torment
      Robe:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Hades'_Armor_of_Torment
      Boots:
      http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Hades'_Striders_of_Torment

If you decide to get the Hades gear here I would not advise you use the boots from it. The crafted boots will have more block which is still needed, and the damage from them is very nice. Like I said above if you dont have the patience to farm hades until you get your hat and robe, then just craft them.

A few other things. This guide lists no crown items. Some of the best stuff happens to be crowns only, but as you can see its not needed for a good death wizard. I could list them, but its ever changing and simply depends on what you want to do with your death wizard. Example: Jade Gear versus the Critical 120 crowns boots. The purpose of this guide was just to list some general death gear that anyone can get. If this gets positive feedback I may consider making other guides for other schools that are lacking guides. I hope I did well, this was my first ever guide! :/
      Hiiii, You did a very awesome first guide, but I suggest you put some photos on this thread and since I have no death wizard nor any level 50+ wizards anymore, I shall leave you witha cheerleading smiley rock on :D

RookieRecurve is offline Master Wizard

• RookieRecurve's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Ian Lionstalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Many

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Awesome guide! I have to strongly disagree with one point though. The Zeus' gear for death is hands down, the best gear once you hit level 30, and is absolutely worth farming for. This gear will carry you all the way to level 52 or so. Also, typically when you are getting your Zeus gear, you will also get your Senator set which is also very good, and offers different resist than the Zeus set. Finally, the Sky Iron Hasta is absolutely worth mention as it gives a Power Pip and 10% universal damage. Nothing comes even close to that at this level, and that is a huge gain in hitting power. This will also be very useful well into higher levels where you will eventually need to start thinking about critical block. This all depends on your strategy as well, and a full Zeus setup may not be worth the effort, but the easier-to-acquire Senator gear is. Some people are going to try and blast their way to higher levels, but if you decide to linger at around level 30-40 for a bit for gauntlets, PVP, or farming bosses for your lower level wizards, then this gear is absolutely worth the effort!
      Last edited by RookieRecurve; 9-6-14 at 5:33:39 PM.

Zarin64 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Zarin64's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Corwin Swiftcatcher
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Cat, Red Ghost, Enchanted Armament, Pixie Queen 57 (Card)

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Very good guide. All common-sense, devoid of pesky small details but giving a very precise general picture. Really the right approach.

A few remarks I would add:
      Starting with the WaterWorks gear, you should mention that the hat/robe are in fact sufficient to the very end. Boots, of course, have to be replaced with the high-block crafted ones ASAP - but you already said that.

Bazaar gear: wands, especially Ice attack wands, tend to give some reasonable (for the level) critical block, which is a nice complement to the rest of the gear. Staff of the Boreal Bear; Shivering Spear; Quagga Blade (guaranteed as a quest reward and auctionable); Spear of the Trade Winds; Highland Shillelagh; Dawnfrost Blade; Snake Staff of Frost and Hail; Winter Lord's Obsidian Shard; Rod of Icy Tears; crafted Winter Venom's Blade (4 Mammoth and 8 Turquoise plus Braided Vine available to gardeners only, I know)...

Dropped crown/no auction wands: there are some that are really worth farming for, such as Wyrd-Oak Stuff and Brutal Ice Arrow Rod - or Last Quetzal's Bite for lower block but higher critical. Of course, if one wants critical, Hades' Soul Scythe is the ultimate one, but there is no block on it and the damage is Death, which necessitates carrying Cleanse Charm/Pierce in the sideboard.

Another crown-free source of Hoard Pack items: Grub Guardian (KI free games). The last free level (Trial of the Spheres) can be reliably and repeatedly beaten to gold medal with a Mega Life pet and can drop Wyvern's (and Dragon's) Hoard Packs. Greenwarden's Brilliant Staves are some of the best in the critical block department for their level. Level 90+ is +125 block. I'm still trying to open a level 100+ one .
      My wizards: Corwin Swiftcatcher (Death), Alexandra Winterflower (Ice), Darby Firebreeze (Fire), Katie Wildheart (Storm), Heather (Life), Sarah LionHeart (Myth).

eladamrine is offline Novice Wizard

• eladamrine's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Stephen TitanStalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Evil
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Wraith
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

This is a very brief and broad 'guide' for death gear. I'm nearly lvl 60 and everyone knows waterworks gear is the best gear for lvl 60. Same can be said for the other brackets. The information that is much needed as they are less clear might be:

1. The available options for other pieces of gear such as amulet, wands, athame etc...There are so many amulets to choose from you might offer an opinion about your preferred one.

2. Important stats to look for on other pieces of gear and their priority. For example, a total critical block from all gear might be very important for questing in celestia and beyond 60. This will give people an standard for judging gear from the bazaar or other sources.

3. More advanced information might involved tailored equipment for different play styles (less health for single target life steal playstyle vs more health for AOE life steal, or straight damage).

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>eladamrine View Post
      This is a very brief and broad 'guide' for death gear. I'm nearly lvl 60 and everyone knows waterworks gear is the best gear for lvl 60. Same can be said for the other brackets. The information that is much needed as they are less clear might be:

1. The available options for other pieces of gear such as amulet, wands, athame etc...There are so many amulets to choose from you might offer an opinion about your preferred one.

2. Important stats to look for on other pieces of gear and their priority. For example, a total critical block from all gear might be very important for questing in celestia and beyond 60. This will give people an standard for judging gear from the bazaar or other sources.

3. More advanced information might involved tailored equipment for different play styles (less health for single target life steal playstyle vs more health for AOE life steal, or straight damage).
      Not to be rude, but there would be no point in gear guides if "everyone knows". This wasnt created for wizards/people that are experts at this game. More so for newcomers or people with only 1 or 2 wizards and wanted to try out death. Also this guide points out that in some ways waterworks gear can be replaced with other gear. There are a few things that need changing though considering that there is new gear at the top levels, and a few points have been mentioned for things I should add/edit/change. When I created this it was mostly because there were people asking about gear a lot particularly death gear, and there was no guide or write-up to point them in any kind of direction. This guide was made more so for people like that.

To answer your points: I didnt include athames, rings, and wands because there is and has always been a wide variety with plenty of options. For instance a critical death wizard at level 100 might decide to go with the wand from Hades, while a more balanced one might pick the wand from Darkmoor. Then there are crowns options and this leads to a messy guide filled with personal preferences, and to many confusing options(Serisouly have you SEEN the hoard packs these days!?). For athames, and rings that dont have crowns options there is still a wide range of options presented. The best rings, and athames are not always clear. While I could include the best based on damage there are some that may want a little extra healing for things like pvp where damage isnt everything. For gear I can at least include a balanced option that has been endorsed by many, and in most situations there really isnt much variety and are not many options at all. For rings, athames, wands, and even decks that may not be true at some levels.

For your second point you are right I should include what stats you should be looking for. However since this guide is for levels 50+ I refuse to list or point you to the bazaar for ANY gear(hat, robe, boots) that hasnt already been suggested above. The bazaar for the most part has the most unbalanced gear ever seen, and that has ever existed. Instead of pointing out which stats to build on it would be better, and it would save time if I simply pointed out the best gear to use and any good alternatives. Honestly all bazaar gear is junk after level 50 and is almost always lacking something important or something needed.

Your third point involves way to much variation. There are hundreds of different combinations(And I really dont think I am exaggerating here when I say this). If I started talking about which gear would be best for what I would be here forever and this would have to be updated every single time a new hoard pack, world, or bundle was released. Plus this guide has nothing to do with equipment tailored for different needs. This guide focuses on balanced gear that can hopefully fit most if not all of your needs. Except for when things like Jade gear would be needed or other crowns gear. Its a basic guide for those that just want to be pointed in the right direction when looking for death gear.

tl : dr

Basically what you are suggesting leads to way to much variation overall. I cannot hope to satisfy every type, every build, every person. Just trying to created a guide that can suggest gear that would be appropriate and able to handle most things in the game with balance. I will not/try not to include crowns options of any kind because they are not needed for the most part, you could end up spending lost of money and get nowhere, and because there are just way to many options out there.

Considering I have been away for a few months it will take some time to find out what may still be considered the best/most balanced gear out there, and edit this for that.

@RookieRecurve

I believe the reason I didnt point out or didnt focus to much on Senator gear was because this guide was for levels 50+. With that in mind while Senators gear has its good points it can take a while to get and isnt worth it if it takes to long when this guide focuses on progression through the game, not stopping and staying at a certain level. There is gear out there that would be more advanced and at least offer more at level 50 than Senators gear can. Plus after grandmaster you would be ditching it anyways. I would hate to suggest gear to you that can take a while to farm, and requires a group when you may not be using it for long. Not sure if this has changed, but by the time you farm for and obtain all the pieces(crafted or not) you could have progressed a lot farther through the game. It just doesnt seem worth it if you dont have a good group willing farm with you. lol while this paragraph here is true for waterworks gear, Hades gear, and Darkmoor gear at least with those sets you can stay with them for a longer period of time. They are very capable sets that are all balanced(not always true for Hades gear, but whatever).
      Last edited by Ryan.; 2-19-15 at 1:48:38 AM.

eladamrine is offline Novice Wizard

• eladamrine's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Stephen TitanStalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Evil
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Wraith
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thanks for your guide and your reply, Ryan. I don't think you've really understood the point I was trying to make:

1. I didn't say every death wizard knows everything about gear. If that were true, you would be right to say gear guides for death wizards would be pointless. I said that the information in this guide is well-known by the majority of players. Take for example, that difficult dungeons will have the best gear. It would be difficult to see someone past level 60 who doesn't have or know about waterworks gear. To them, your section on 60+ just conveniently provides a link to the pieces. Granted, there are players who haven't heard about waterworks or their gear. These you call 'newcomers' with 1 or 2 wizards. I would suggest that these newcomers who haven't heard of waterworks by lvl 60 would not go to a fansite forum and search for a death gear guide. There might be a very few who aren't in this category.

2. The non-main gear pieces such as amulet, athame, ring and wand are as you say, the ones with the most variety. That also means that it is the most difficult to pick one that is best for a particular context. This is what guides are for - to offer proven options while noting limits and strengths. What use is a guide if it says, 'well this matter is too complicated, so lets leave it out?'. You say you don't want to offer opinions as opposed to facts. I doubt it is a fact that one wand is the best. I'm sure it is dependent on play style, context, and preference. As someone who has expertises with gear in that level you should offer your opinion (with reasons) because that would be insightful. Other times you don't hesitate to give your opinion. For example, you state that at level 50 you should not try to get any critical chance because it is inefficient at that point. No one is going to tell you 'that's your opinion' and disregard your advice.

3. Analysis of the priority of stats for a death wizard would be very helpful. Until lvl 50, there is an array of items in the bazaar with different combinations of power pip%, death dmg%, health, mana, accuracy (rarer), etc...It would be amazing to know the trade off point for certain stats so you know that X of stat A is worth more than Y of stat B for damage- therefore I should cross-upgrade. It would also be important for lvl50. The focus would be more on the 'sweet spot' of stats. The point beyond which certain stats give a diminishing return (for example, 100% pips, or if you use many 1 pip spells, even less than 100%). It would answer questions like would 5% accuracy increase my damage over 10% extra damage?

4. It would be very burdensome to come up with every possible option in the game. But even if you just have one example of a piece of gear that represents a category of items would be good. For example, a gear category can be divided into defensive, offensive, easy to obtain, crown etc...There are also pieces that are possibilities in theory but in practise very few people use. This might be because it is difficult to obtain, it is marginally better than something else easier to get, you can do without it. I'm sure you experience will allow you to weed out certain items and you wouldn't have to write about those.

Stephen
      "It's not who I am underneath... but what I do... that defines me", Master Bruce Wayne.

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>eladamrine View Post
      Thanks for your guide and your reply, Ryan. I don't think you've really understood the point I was trying to make:

1. I didn't say every death wizard knows everything about gear. If that were true, you would be right to say gear guides for death wizards would be pointless. I said that the information in this guide is well-known by the majority of players. Take for example, that difficult dungeons will have the best gear. It would be difficult to see someone past level 60 who doesn't have or know about waterworks gear. To them, your section on 60+ just conveniently provides a link to the pieces. Granted, there are players who haven't heard about waterworks or their gear. These you call 'newcomers' with 1 or 2 wizards. I would suggest that these newcomers who haven't heard of waterworks by lvl 60 would not go to a fansite forum and search for a death gear guide. There might be a very few who aren't in this category.

2. The non-main gear pieces such as amulet, athame, ring and wand are as you say, the ones with the most variety. That also means that it is the most difficult to pick one that is best for a particular context. This is what guides are for - to offer proven options while noting limits and strengths. What use is a guide if it says, 'well this matter is too complicated, so lets leave it out?'. You say you don't want to offer opinions as opposed to facts. I doubt it is a fact that one wand is the best. I'm sure it is dependent on play style, context, and preference. As someone who has expertises with gear in that level you should offer your opinion (with reasons) because that would be insightful. Other times you don't hesitate to give your opinion. For example, you state that at level 50 you should not try to get any critical chance because it is inefficient at that point. No one is going to tell you 'that's your opinion' and disregard your advice.

3. Analysis of the priority of stats for a death wizard would be very helpful. Until lvl 50, there is an array of items in the bazaar with different combinations of power pip%, death dmg%, health, mana, accuracy (rarer), etc...It would be amazing to know the trade off point for certain stats so you know that X of stat A is worth more than Y of stat B for damage- therefore I should cross-upgrade. It would also be important for lvl50. The focus would be more on the 'sweet spot' of stats. The point beyond which certain stats give a diminishing return (for example, 100% pips, or if you use many 1 pip spells, even less than 100%). It would answer questions like would 5% accuracy increase my damage over 10% extra damage?

4. It would be very burdensome to come up with every possible option in the game. But even if you just have one example of a piece of gear that represents a category of items would be good. For example, a gear category can be divided into defensive, offensive, easy to obtain, crown etc...There are also pieces that are possibilities in theory but in practise very few people use. This might be because it is difficult to obtain, it is marginally better than something else easier to get, you can do without it. I'm sure you experience will allow you to weed out certain items and you wouldn't have to write about those.

Stephen
      Thanks for the feedback by the way.

1. I have actually seen a very large amount of players in Zafaria and Avalon use bazaar gear and completely ignore waterworks gear. Not sure if thats because they couldnt get it or what. I dont really know. :/ I have also seen a lot in practice pvp matches also.

2. I'm not saying that adding wands, athames, and rings would be to complicated. However, there are just to many options. There are standard damage ones that I will include, but then there are healing ones, and some that meet in the middle. Then there are alternatives to the damage ones, and alternatives to the healing onces, and many that meet in the middle. I am fine with adding basic options like the level 56 ones and the ones for level 90-100 when I have time.

3. I actually did include at the top what stats to prioritize somewhat, but I didnt really go in depth with it. I could include stats as its own section as you progress as a death wizard.

4. Still impossible because as I said there is a lot of variety. It would simply be easier if I included a section on what stats to prioritize for farming, questing, defense, and offense instead of trying to suggest gear from all the different places. For instance crowns gear. There is way to much to ever even think about it. And its made even harder because certain pieces have many things alike and come from totally different packs, but may differ based on something small.
      For example a set of boots from pack A has 10% damage, 50 critical, and 5% pips. While boots from pack B has 8% damage 80 critical and 3% pips. Which would you suggest for farming?

How is this? When I have time I will work on adding this, and adding more over time. Always busy with something or studying for something. :/

Things to add:

• A section on rings, athames, and wands
      • A section on stats
      • Stat to prioritize(Questing, Farming, Defense, and Offense)
      • Update Gear

Last edited by Ryan.; 2-19-15 at 3:02:58 AM.

Zarin64 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Zarin64's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Corwin Swiftcatcher
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Various
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Cat, Red Ghost, Enchanted Armament, Pixie Queen 57 (Card)

Mood:
      Balanced

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Yes, good plans to expand the guide.

To jump start the ring/athames section:

Since Death rarely heals, healing boosts stuff such as Cosmic Kris/Stellar Signet, as well as various Wintertusk drops and crafted items are not a priority. Damage and Power Pip are probably the most sought-after stats from the gear at first, since universal critical block tends to be really low on those anyway.

With this in mind, there are Black Spinel of Battle (ring) and Bear's Claw of Death (athame), level 56+, both dropping in WT and providing some nice damage boosts for the level, as well as extra health, mana, decent power pip chance and non-zero critical block. At level 60, few things beat Aureate Band and Lexicon Blade, but they are not that much better than the aforementioned pair to warrant an endless farming of the most difficult dungeon at this point (and probably still the most difficult some 25+ levels later, before Belloq (Twin Giants)).

However, there are quite a few crafted rings which provide high critical block to specific schools. I'm not near my PC right now, so can't look at what I have, but I distinctly remember crafting something like that in Celestia or Zafaria. For example, if you want to farm Luska for the hat (the only must have WW item, IMHO), you'd better craft a balance block ring. Luska criticals a lot, and is not easily blocked.

Miscellaneous stuff:

I've provided a few examples of critical block weapons (wands, staves and swords) in one of my previous replies - take a look.

I'm against listing a ton of items with trade-offs between them. However, you might look into defensive (universal resists and block), offensive (high damage, critical and power pip, with a bit of accuracy thrown in where possible) and farming (mob and boss - these should be two different setups) gear sets.

Energy options might be listed separately, but most of them are in the crown shop - though the best pack for that, Wyvern's, is dropping as a reward from Grub Guardian every now and then. Failing that, Baconator Costume (level 55+, dropping from bosses in Nastrond and WaterWorks) and Splendid Attire (level 70+, Mirror Lake) are good options. Not to mention Sir Malory's Seal (level 76+, dropping in Avalon) with its +5 to energy, and the crafted Wintertusk Ring of Valor (level 56+) with +4. There are also some crafted energy athames, such as Garnet Bear Claw (which is a decent one even for questing, if you can't get your hands on Bear's Claw of Death).
      My wizards: Corwin Swiftcatcher (Death), Alexandra Winterflower (Ice), Darby Firebreeze (Fire), Katie Wildheart (Storm), Heather (Life), Sarah LionHeart (Myth).

Mood:
      Bookworm

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

@Zarin64 3 months later.... I finally got around to it. Working on improving this guide. More will be added later. Also some things need pictures because they had none on the wiki.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast