Shirataki Temple Instance (2nd Oni - Plague Oni)
Notes Before I begin
- I did this at level 45 w/ 2,234 hp and 389 mana.
- I am a Pyromancer with Life as secondary and Death as tertiary.
- This instance was done solo.
- The first quest which is 'Opening the Gate' can be completed upon defeating Shoji in the first hut (all the way to the right upon entering the instance) but is not repeatable in it by itself. However, the boss fight is repeatable.
- To save time I simply did not fight Shoji as he was no longer necessary needed to unlock the first gate.
- To make battles more efficient, I didn't wear any amulets.
- Speed run results so far: 420 exp gained (no random encounters); 572 gold from battles; 260 gold from 3 chests; 196 gold from quests given. Time started: 2:03pm EST Time Ended: 2:40pm EST
- Pay attention to the movement cycles of all monsters that inhabit this map. Once you understand how they move, you will be able to more or less move freely about without any concerns for random encounters. <--Thanks goes to Noelle for this information.
Various Deck Setups
- Shirataki Temple entrance --> Imitsu Defoulers (Myth, 675hp) as random encounters .
- First gate/barrier --> Imitso Retainers (Balance, 675hp) as random encounters.
- Second gate/barrier --> Imitsu Retainers (Balance, 675hp) once again as random encounters.
- Before/After Bridge --> Ronin Blademasters (Storm, 700hp) as random encounters.
- Around Big Lake --> Diseased Water Elementals (Storm, 675) as random encounters.
- Near Haru's hut --> Imitsu Plaguemasters (Storm, 675hp) as the random encounters here. Again, easily avoidable.
- Near the shrines --> Ronin Blademaster (Storm, 700hp) and Imitsu Retainers (Balance, 675hp) as random encounters.
- The only random encounters you may occassionally deal with are the Diseased Water Spirits. All other random encounters are easily avoidable.
Below are the only three deck setups I used throughout this particular instance.
(Disclaimer: Please do remember to check the bottom of this map below to see where the Elemental Shrines are located.)
Before we get to Shirataki Temple, please realize that Shirataki Temple is part of Shoshun Village. Now onto the map of Shirataki Temple.
Mossback Quest to 'Cleanse' the Water Spirit Waverider
- You obtain this quest by talking to Mossback.
- To finish this quest you will need to defeat Waverider, thereby cleansing it of Plague Oni's influence.
- If you do not do this quest you cannot continue with the Oakhart quests and obtain the Spirit Walker badge.
River Temple (includes all quests up to Defeat Haru)Gold Given: N/A.Tips: None. This is an automatic quest that pops up once you have finished the quest at least one time. You must talk to Din Ho.
**Opening the First Gate- Only if this is your first time doing this instance!**
Defeat Shoji to get Key
Gold Given: ?
Boss: Shoji (Balance, 1,700hp)
Shoji Casts: Scorpion, Balance Blade, Weakness, Black Mantle, Locust Swarm, Primary Attack (1pip, Life)
Imitsu Retainer (Balance, 675hp)
Imitsu Retainer Casts: Tower Shield, Ice Blade, Phoenix, Primary (1pip, Myth), Snow Serpent, Ice Trap, Blizzard, Evil Snowman
Defeat Haru and Collect Temple Gate Key
- None. Just head back to the initial Earth Gate and pull the lever and you can now open the gate.
Gold Given: N/A.
Boss: Haru (Myth, 1,850hp) + 1x Ronin Blademaster (Storm, 700hp)
Haru casts: Myth Trap, Cyclops, Myth Blade, Primary Attack (1, 2 pip, Balance), Troll, Black Mantle, Storm Shield, Blood Bat
Ronin Blademaster casts: Storm Blade, Myth Shield, Storm Trap, Storm Shark, Troll, Lightning Bat
Open Temple Gate
- Make sure to heal up on the way back to Din Ho via healing wisps.
Gold Given: N/A.
Tips: None. Simply touch the invisible gate/barrier and you will be prompted to talk to Din Ho.
Summon Spirit (includes all quests up to defeat Wavebringer)
Use Shrines (Earth, Air, Fire, Spirit)
Gold Given: N/A. You will get 196 upon defeating Wavebringer.
Gold Given: 196 which is not gotten until after you defeat Wavebringer.
Boss: Wavebringer (Storm, 1,900hp) + 1x Diseased Water Elemental (Storm, 675hp)
Waverider Casts: Storm Blade, Myth Shield, Kraken, Thunder Snake, Tempest, Storm Shark, Vampire, Heck Hound, Lightning Bat
Distressed Water Elemental Casts: Storm Trap, Storm Shark, Primary Attack (1pip, Myth), Lightning Bat, Storm Blade, Myth Shield, Tempest, Wraith
- You can time the battle such that the Diseased Water Elemental doesn't join the fight until the second round. This will not only save you time, but also give you a round to get extra pips and save damage.
- To the right of the rightmost staircase, you will see the Shirataki Temple Oyster.
- Heal by going out and gathering healing wisps.
Gold Given: 0
Boss: Ideyoshi (Ice, 1,800hp) + 1x Diseased Water Elemental (Storm, 675hp)
Ideyoshi Casts: Ice Blade, Ice Wyvern, Ice Kraken, Tower Shield, Primary (1 or 4 pip, Balance), Snow Serpent, Ice Beetle, Ice Elf
Distressed Water Elemental Casts: Storm Trap, Storm Shark, Primary Attack (1pip, Myth), Lightning Bat, Storm Blade, Myth Shield, and Tempest
Defeat Plague Oni
- One of the Mooshu books is here 'Time of Dragon'. Don't forget to read it as part of your Mooshu History book quest.
Gold Given: 0
Boss: Plague Oni (Balance, 2,200hp) + 1x Imitsu Defouler (Myth, 675hp)
Plague Oni Casts: Scorpion, Elemental Shield, Black Mantle, Locust Swarm, Balance Blade, Vampire, Primary (1,2, or 3 pip, Balance), Locust Swarm
Imitsu Defouler Casts: Myth Trap, Troll, Lightning Shield, Primary (1pip, Balance), Elemental Shield, Myth Blade
Speed Run Info
I've added this section only for hardcore enthusiasts who want to either do this as an added challenge for bragging rights OR who want to be able to quickly earn as much experience points as possible OR to farm more efficiently.
My Results to date that I've written down
**Note: This will be updated as I do more runs.**
Speed Run 2
Total Exp: 351
Total Gold: 793
Total Time: 35min
Note: Had 1 random encounter. Opened 3x chests.
Speed Run 3
Total Exp: 400
Total Time: 33min
Note: Had 1 random encounter. Opened 2x chests.
Speed Run 4
Total Exp: 360
Total Gold: 682
Total Time: 35min
Note: Had an inordinate amount of fizzles. No random encounters and no chests opened. Son controlled my character fooling around for about 1 min or so.
Speed Run 5
Total Exp: 342
Total Gold: 609
Total Time: 35min
Note: Zaneki took a whopping 15min alone. Otherwise, no other notes.
As you can see, I've slowly reduced my times. My actual first real speed run was listed in the 'General Info' section in top of this guide. It has since went down from 37min to now 33min. All things going right, I think the fastest this instance can be done is perhaps 25min. However, the average time that you can comfortably do this instance is 30min without a random encounter.
Tips to do a fast Speed Run
Congratulations you have just finished the Shirataki Temple Instance!
- Things that you cannot control, but will help you shave off precious seconds and potentially minutes are as follows: Hope the enemy's spells fizzle, hope the enemy passes, hope that you go first and attack, hope you start off with 2 power pips, and/or help they don't cast any sort of Elf spell. All of these will save by eliminating the spell animation sequence and speed up combat.
- Things that you can control are listed below:
- When you have a free turn, unless your aiming to get more experience, simply pass your turn and don't use a wand spell. You'll save precious time this way.
- Be on the offensive! Don't waste turns healing. That's why I have no healing spells in my deck.
- When choosing which monsters to attack, always go from the monsters that don't require you to change decks. That being said, a good example go from the Spirit, Earth and Fire shrines in succession and then face Zaneki in the Air shrine last since he will require a different deck setup.
- When changing decks, since I've literally almost memorized how to get from one area to the next on this map, change the deck composition while you are running. Yes, that correct, while you are running! Saves time, trust me.
- Ignore all chests on your way no matter if they are directly in front of you. You will notice that it takes you precious seconds to open a chest because you must stop. Then since it takes the chest 1-2 sec to disappear you either have to wait or run around it. Not worth the seconds for a speed run.
- Straight lines are always better than running in arcs. That being said, although you want to avoid enemies, there will be clear cut times when you can cut across. Do so! Also, don't hug the edges. Walk just far enough to not get into a battle, but close enough whereby you can cut across at the right times.
- You can actually walk in between the diseased water elementals. The same style of movement I've used at Marleybone works effectively in Mooshu. Judgement is the easiest. Find what looks like a spot that is equadistant between both monsters walking. Then simply walk straight keeping that same distance between both of them. Very easy to do, and it is the most precise, straightlined way to get where you want.
- Try to 1hko sidekicks first. No exceptions.
- In between your spell casting, don't flip between game and internet explorer. Also, don't waste time choosing spells. That is why a minimal spell deck setup is so important. You don't have to think! Just do.
This post contains 47 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.