Grumpy Cat is offline Grandmaster Wizard

Mood:
      Grumpy2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Suggestions for a good death pet

At that level, I would recommend a damage based pet with 3x death damage, proof, and mc fairy. Defy may not be very useful at mid level, but still works. If you are soloing through, then it may be more useful. Fairy is probably one of the most wanted heal talents in the game, with a pretty good cast rate. That's a standard pet, although for pvp you may want to trade a damage for mc infallible. SPUDF may be easier to find though... I don't have any death pets atm, but let me know if i can help with resist or heals

warprat is offline Apprentice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

First off, I would start with a general pet, any of your wizards can use. Sea Dragons have pretty high stats and are fairly easy to train with. They have spritely, pain giver, spell proof and sharp shot. All great talents for any wizard.

Train them to adult, then keep the dragons with the combos of talents you like. Then hatch those adults together to make a basic all round pet. After you get the talents you like on your Sea Dragon, transfer them to something like an Enchanted Armament. Keep hatching until you get what you want.

Put aside some of the pets with talents that you like, to hatch with your death specific pet later on. Such as pain giver and spell proof.

I personally like the Red Ghost, or the Enchanted Armament for death.

My death wizard uses myth as a secondary. So my Red Ghost has pain giver, fairy, spell proof, amplify and death shield. I like to use death minotaur and the death spells which do damage to myself such as empower, sacrifice, and dark pact. I also enjoy using minotaur with spirit blade.

Best of luck!

Daniel Nightstrider is offline Magus Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

So I've compiled a list of suggestions.
      Pet:
      Deer Knight (I like feint...)
      Nightwalker(I will be getting wraith pretty soon, so probably not)
      Onyx Shenlong Dragon (Feint again)
      Vampire (Got vampire cards already, the slight boost isn't worth it as far as I can tell)
      Scarecrow/Crop Watcher (AoE, love it...)
      Penumbra Drake (Couple of good spells: Trap breakers with blades, I like this suggestion. Plus it looks cool)
      Shadow Beast (I like stacking deatblades)
      Enchanted Armament (Potential for 4 stacking blades: Spirit/Enchanted Spirit/Trained/Enchanted Trained)
      Avenging fossil (Another favorite: Deatblade, feint, plus a high pip spell I wouldn't get for 40 levels otherwise.)
      Red Ghost (Nifty cards)

Talents:
      Fairy Friend (I want this on the pet)
      Spritely (Still deciding)
      Proof (I want this on the pet)
      Death Specific Damage (Seriously considering devoting at least one slot to this)
      Unicorn (I haven't liked this in the past, it's cast rate seemed too low to spend a slot on it)
      Energizing battery (Still deciding)
      Defy (I don't think I want this)
      MC Fortify (Seriously considering)

I would like to be able to solo competently, but be able to tank/boost a bit as well for friends. I typically am a hitter and booster in organized dungeons. I heal on occasion, but can pack spell cards for that, and it's rarely needed. Given that playing style, what base pets work their way up? What pets should I eliminate for now? As for talents, do these choices still sound good? It sounds like once I can get a good all around pet I'll want to specialize a bit, making a pet for pure damage, and a pet for tanking. But for now?
      Thank you so much for all the help everyone. You have been very helpful.
      Last edited by Daniel Nightstrider; 6-14-14 at 11:22:30 PM.

Rayzer is offline Exalted

• Rayzer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  The Fairycaller Clan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Moose
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Bloodbat

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

How much time do you have on your hands?

For PVE, if you're going to have other wizards then make the first pet a generic SPUDF.
      They're one of the easiest to come by, and they're fine for any wizard.

For low levels, an adult pet with an AOE card and two heals will work weill.

For Death bosses and minions (some of the spell quests), a Death resistance pet is nice to have.
      Mine can boost me to about 130% Death resistance with gear.

For later bosses, a pet with a Feint card is almost a must.
      I have one pet with two feint cards, which works well against Cerberus, and Wanadi Black Sky
      (Proof, Defy, Fire-ward, Myth-ward, Feinting on a Deer Knight).

If you're in a group and you're the hammer, it's best to not have a pet that heals,
      because in some dungeons that will cause the opponents to focus attack you, instead of your tank.

My next Death project will be a pet with 21 attack and 15 resist.
      Most likely on a Shadow Beast, as I have many of them, but preferably on an Avenging Fossil.
      The idea being to maximize my attack, and making sure that my incoming health is consistently more than my outgoing health.
      But my Death wizard is level 86 now, and can craft gear to help with my playing style.
      Thanks to Ashley Frost for the Signature

RyRyDeathSword is offline Initiate Wizard

• RyRyDeathSword's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Ryan Deathsword
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Whiskers
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Crop Watcher

Mood:
      Cold

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Daniel Nightstrider View Post
      I'm planning on farming Loremaster for deer knight so I have a low-pip AoE. Do you still think I should use a pet with a scarecrow card? As to the death minotaur spell card, I think I'd be leaning away from that because I'd have to double trap. Is the damage per pip worth it?
      Well while deer knight is good, unless you got pain giver, death giver, etc. on it and bladed up a lot it wouldn't do much. while it would do more than the scarecrow, I suggested the crow because it's a steal health spell and it's an aoe so it'll provide a quick heal for you so you don't have to waste your blades on a sacrifice. As for the nightwalker, I understand where you're coming from on the two traps and I agree on that so I can see why you're leaning against it.
      Thanks to Mad Hatter for avi! GemmyMoon for sig! and Expelliarmus for profile pic! Find their shops here!WONDERLAND GRAPHICS Full Moon Graphics KB's Graphics Shop

----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Rayzer View Post
      How much time do you have on your hands?

For PVE, if you're going to have other wizards then make the first pet a generic SPUDF.
      They're one of the easiest to come by, and they're fine for any wizard.

If you're in a group and you're the hammer, it's best to not have a pet that heals,
      because in some dungeons that will cause the opponents to focus attack you, instead of your tank.

My next Death project will be a pet with 21 attack and 15 resist.
      Most likely on a Shadow Beast, as I have many of them, but preferably on an Avenging Fossil.
      The idea being to maximize my attack, and making sure that my incoming health is consistently more than my outgoing health.
      But my Death wizard is level 86 now, and can craft gear to help with my playing style.
      I'll have half an hour to an hour a day (bleh, it's not much.) I've never heard about this pet heal triggering attack thing. How does it work? Does it just give a greater chance that enemies will attack you, like taunt is supposed to? And best of luck on that project.

Rayzer is offline Exalted

• Rayzer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  The Fairycaller Clan
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Mirage
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Moose
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Bloodbat

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Daniel Nightstrider View Post
      I'll have half an hour to an hour a day (bleh, it's not much.) I've never heard about this pet heal triggering attack thing. How does it work? Does it just give a greater chance that enemies will attack you, like taunt is supposed to? And best of luck on that project.
      If you're in somewhere like Tartarus or Morganthe's Castle, and everyone is buffing like crazy, the opponents will generally attack everyone, or the person opposite them. That is unless someone attacks one of them, or heals, then they'll focus their attacks on that person. You can use this to your advantage by having your tank wand attack someone on first round. But it can be a serious disadvantage if your Hammer's pet casts the first heal and gets beat down.

With that kind of time, I'd definitely go for a SPUDF first (Spritely, Proof, Unicorn, Defy, Fairy) on a generic pet, and then work from there to something else.
      By generic pet, I mean not school specific, so something with Feint, Dragonblade, Sharpened Blade or some such.
      Last edited by Rayzer; 6-15-14 at 12:14:45 AM.
      Thanks to Ashley Frost for the Signature

----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Rayzer View Post
      If you're in somewhere like Tartarus or Morganthe's Castle, and everyone is buffing like crazy, the opponents will generally attack everyone, or the person opposite them. That is unless someone attacks one of them, or heals, then they'll focus their attacks on that person. You can use this to your advantage by having your tank wand attack someone on first round. But it can be a serious disadvantage if your Hammer's pet casts the first heal and gets beat down.

With that kind of time, I'd definitely go for a SPUDF first (Spritely, Proof, Unicorn, Defy, Fairy) on a generic pet, and then work from there to something else.
      By generic pet, I mean not school specific, so something with Feint, Dragonblade, Sharpened Blade or some such.
      Thanks for explaining that. It's entirely new to me. I think I will go for a spudf at first, I'd be able to hatch with others without it being entirely charitable on their end. Their end result pet could potentially be somewhat useful. Any thoughts on replacing Unicorn or Defy with energizing battery, or mc infallible or another mc star spell, once I have a SPUDF? Defy seems like too small of a boost at my relatively low level, and unicorn seemed to cast rarely in my questing/dungeon experience. The star spells, on the other hand, seem to cast very frequently, seeming to be a bit more useful, and people say that energizing battery has a cast rate between unicorn and spritely. Then again, unicorn heals the entire team, and energizing battery could potentially heal for less. Your thoughts on this?
      Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12