•  adult brown spider, gives one Giant Spider card

Mood:
      Sweet Tooth

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Unhappy Game malfunctioning

I've played Wizard101 on our family computer which was 7+ years old. The game ran okay, except for slow loading times and slower graphics rendering due to a old CPU/GPU (Intel Pentium D). Then I quit for a while for reasons, but I still love the game, so I planned on getting back on eventually. I've gotten back on and off quite a few times.

Anyways, back to my point of this thread; I upgraded our computer. Swapped a few components inside the case (CPU/GPU, Motherboard, CD drive and card reader, now everything runs MUCH better. Only difference is we're still running Windows XP, but we're planning on upgrading to Windows 7 soon though. I re-installed Wizard101 a few days ago, and it was done quite smoothly and quickly. The game loaded MUCH faster, the graphics were awesome!

Problem: Wizard City was perfect, but when I tried to go to my house (Sun Palace), World door in Ravenwood, or any of the other worlds, the game suddenly gets LAGGY, my character isn't showing, but neither is any other players or NPCs. If I leave it that way long enough, or switch to a different window, the graphics card suddenly switches to the lowest settings, so the screen goes bonkers. When I look at my other programs, they're laggy also.

The new CPU/GPU is listed below; all updated to the LATEST drivers, they were previous, but nothing changed when I updated them.

3rd generation Intel Core i3-3225 3.3Ghz with Intel HD 4000

The processor is more than enough for what we use it for. Also it's plentiful for the games that I play. The Graphics card might not sound at all that good, but it's actually quite good for my games, including Wizard101.

I completely un-installed and re-installed Wizard101 a few times, switched to the lowest settings, checked for anything in the BIOS settings. Nothing changed.

The game still acts weird.. Wizard City is perfect, everywhere else isnt...

Anyone here experienced this same problem, or knows what I should try..

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but RuneScape works quite well in DirectX and OpenGL mode. Also, Minecraft doesn't work due to no Accelerated OpenGL activated, but I found out that I need Windows 7 for Minecraft to work. Do you think that with the newer components, I need to upgrade from XP to 7 in order for Wizard101 to work properly?

I honestly am at loss, I seriously hope I can get this solved..

THANK YOU for taking your time in reading this!!

Side note: I've contacted Wizard101 Support, but I'd like to hear from them AND you players out there.

:::EDIT:::
      Captured the problem on video, now you'll understand more about my problem, hopefully.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwRivgnMk_M&feature=youtu.be

Updated all of the drivers, NET Framework to 4.0, Service Pack 3.

More updates on what's happening are on the 2nd page and so forth, thank you.
      Last edited by bloody99pker; 5-13-13 at 7:04 PM.

~Justin~ is offline Legendary Wizard

• ~Justin~'s Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Justin Earthsword; Justin Rainpants; Justin
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Tiger
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Broccoli D:

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Game malfunctioning

Since I am on a laptop that isn't really meant for gaming the game is almost always slow on Wizard101. I do have a problems in Wizard City with some issues like black/red walls covering Ravenwood and some things like the butterflies in the Commons look huge. I don't have any problems to the extent that NPCs are disappearing however. Good luck with your response from contact support.

bloody99pker is offline Novice Wizard

• bloody99pker's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Benjamin GreenLeaf
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Tiger
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Sweet Tooth

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ~Justin~ View Post
      Since I am on a laptop that isn't really meant for gaming the game is almost always slow on Wizard101. I do have a problems in Wizard City with some issues like black/red walls covering Ravenwood and some things like the butterflies in the Commons look huge. I don't have any problems to the extent that NPCs are disappearing however. Good luck with your response from contact support.
      Yes, exactly. Those things happened with our older computer. Thankfully any of that hasn't happened in Wizard City yet.

Lucas is offline Transcendent Wizard

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that, but nothing you can really do except get a newer computer that is more geared toward gaming. I use an HP laptop and an HP desktop, both with great with the game and both are 3/4 years old.

LagLover is offline Fizzled
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Moving from XP to Win7 will not change the way the game runs since KI wishes to keep compatability with the largest installed OS base.

I built a computer, with the sole purpose of running Wizard101, using a 1gHz Pentium 3 and running Win98, and the game runs fairly well compared to a Pentium4 3gHz, with both having the same memory capacity and video cards (driver versions do vary but have no effect on game with regards to corrupted graphics and 'lag'.)

NOTE: For those that have 'Hyper-Threading' CPUs, try disabling it and play the game. (It worked for me, but I use a rather 'old' system for on-line activities. Easy to reformat will problems occurs.) There seems to a timing issue with the game 'code'. (KI introduced more 'compression' schemes to the game that may be the cuase of some of the problems concerning errors players have reported, such as; 'Zone not ready' and 'connect too long'.)

UPDATE: I ran some 'over-clocking' experiments and Wizard101 seems to be a bit more 'sensitive' to the changes, as compared to other programs/game, be they single player or 'on-line'. (Grub Gaurdian really 'freaked-out', maybe because it is a 'flash' game.)

Moving from XP to Win7 will not change the way the game runs since KI wishes to keep compatability with the largest installed OS base.

I built a computer, with the sole purpose of running Wizard101, using a 1gHz Pentium 3 and running Win98, and the game runs fairly well compared to a Pentium4 3gHz, with both having the same memory capacity and video cards (driver versions do vary but have no effect on game with regards to corrupted graphics and 'lag'.)

NOTE: For those that have 'Hyper-Threading' CPUs, try disabling it and play the game. (It worked for me, but I use a rather 'old' system for on-line activities. Easy to reformat will problems occurs.) There seems to a timing issue with the game 'code'. (KI introduced more 'compression' schemes to the game that may be the cuase of some of the problems concerning errors players have reported, such as; 'Zone not ready' and 'connect too long'.)

UPDATE: I ran some 'over-clocking' experiments and Wizard101 seems to be a bit more 'sensitive' to the changes, as compared to other programs/game, be they single player or 'on-line'. (Grub Gaurdian really 'freaked-out', maybe because it is a 'flash' game.)

EXPERIMENT 2:
      This was to test the file transfer 'overhead' that Wizard101 does when trying to render all the graphical elements for every 'wizard' in your locale and when moving between 'areas'.
      <<<<UNLESS YOU ARE BORED, DO NOT READ ANY MORE.>>><<<<UNLESS YOU ARE BORED, DO NOT READ ANY MORE.>>>
      <<<<UNLESS YOU ARE BORED, DO NOT READ ANY MORE.>>><<<<UNLESS YOU ARE BORED, DO NOT READ ANY MORE.>>>

Running Wizard101 on old Dell precision 330 Workstation.
      Dual P3EB 1.13 GHz CPUs,
      4 GB RD ram (Rambus pc1066),
      36.6 GB 15k U320 SCSI hard drives on an Adaptec U320 'hardware' caching (1GB ram on board) controller,
      Nvidia agp (512 MB) video,
      WinXP SP3,
      and finally, Wizard101.
      Only XP, Wizard101, and appropiate 'drivers' installed. (NO firewalls or anti-virus installed/active.)
      XP's Performance Monitor only third party software run while playing game.

First test was with only one SCSI drive installed. All software installed on it.
      Second test was with two drives with OS on first drive and Wizard101 on the second.
      Third test was 2 drives installed in a 'striping' array (RAID0), with all programs on first (pair).
      (drives act as one with data split between both so the 'theoretical' transfer rate is 640 Mb/s.)
      Forth test was 4 drives (RAID0) with OS on first 'pair' and Wizard101 on second 'pair'.

There was little improvement of game 'function' between the first two 'tests'.
      The third 'test' did show an marked improvement in the reduction of game 'lag' over the first two tests.
      The forth 'test' showed a little improvement over the third 'test'.

The greatest improvement in the games functionality, in all of the 'tests', was when the SCSI's controller 'cache' was disabled.
      The fact that by disabling the SCSI controller's cache improves game 'performance' indicates that too much information needed to be transfered (from disk) and too often to render all the graphics. (1 GB cache surely is'nt enough.)

While monitoring the 'transfers' of data from the disks to the system, I saw that the information that the game needs to render the 'graphical elements' in the game are spread out across several files, each of which need be read, then the particular information extracted from it, and finally 'decompressed'.

The easiest to start off with are the 'area/zone' data files. Each area/zone typically has its own 'file' that contains the information to draw the 'background', set 'world' bounds, any 'animations', and 3 files for the audio, music, and NPC/narrators. With little information shared between any 'area' (Unless you are in a multi-level dungeon.), all of the data needs to be 'swapped' out when moving between 'zones'. (tunnel delays)

Most of the information (data sets) followed a rather concise layout when Dragonsryre was the final 'world'. For example, the data for Wizard City is grouped together in specific files that only dealt with Wizard City, Krokotopia has its own set, Marleybone, Mooshu, ... all seem well defined. It's only after the new 'worlds' were released that the sh*t hit the fan. (I still remember the problems I had in those days, but re-installing was not a problem back then.)

The information needed to draw a 'wizard' is a bit screwy in that it is extracted from several files depending on what 'gear' a character has:
      The character's clothing typically comes out of 'equipment-worldata.wad' but if they have any AVALON or AZTECA 'gear', then elements need to be extracted from the _shared-worlddata.wad and/or root.wad files. The same holds true for AV and AZ amulets, athames, and rings.
      The character's 'pet' information can come out of the root, _shared or the mob-worlddata.wad file.
      All is repeated for each 'wizard' in the area you are in, even though they are not in view, and each are extracted individually, even if two or more characters are equiped with the same 'gear'.
      (KI really needs a 'draw-distance' limiter setting in the game so that the client side system need not render, or attempt to, any non-viewable/un-needed graphics.)

Housing information comes from typically 4 files, if you have a 'castle', and at most, as far as I have found, 7 files. If you do any gardening, add 3 more files to extract data from. Don't forget 2 more for the audio. (3 if you have a music player.)

Spells can come from any number of files. They were spread out (stored within existing files) when grizzlehiem/wintertusk, celestia, zafaria, avalon, and azteca each were added to the game.

Also; pet races, pvp, minigames, school quests, bazaar, crown shop, .... all require 'graphical information' not shared with anything else and are spread out among several files. For example, when you have to test your 'skill' against 'cyrus' to get to dragonspyre, the game has a seperate set of data for the tower (myth) where you do battle.

This is only about 3/4's of what is 'read' from the 'data files' just to render the graphics, I got tired of logging the 'minor' files that always needed to be accessed no mater what a player did (graphic FX, eg, lighting, bloom, shadows...). Oh, BTW, even if you disable 'shadows' they are still 'computed', same with audio, you might have it disabled but the game still 'plays' it, but it just does'nt get to your speakers.

Now I'm going 'off-the-deep-end' trying to explain a little about what is written:

The wizardclient,log file causes the biggest problem by increasing the client's system (computer) 'overhead' needed to write data to (and perform the appropiate write verifications) the system's disk.
      Just look at the file (wizardclient.log) one time to see what I mean. I have seen over 25 entries made in one second, according to the time stamp that is also done.
      The fact that there is information written to the file that does not concern the character (data about other players' battles), or the 'area' the character is in (why log PvP information if I am in the 'WaterWorks'). This only generates un-needed 'overhead' and wastes disk space. (If you play for an extended amout of time, not all pieces of the log file are deleted the next time you log on.)

Then there is the information about your characters' 'position' in the game. There are updates (writes) to several files, one being config.xml. Every time you move between areas, open your 'book', check/change your; quests, friends, equipment, realms, and/or toggle any game setting, this paticular file is altered.

If you 'click' on a player' to 'check them out', data is sent from the servers to your system to show you their 'stats'. You might say, well this is all good, but that data is written to your system.
      Check the entries in ..\Data\GameData\CharacterRegistry, not all the information contained there concerns you or your 'friends', all the data from your 'curiosity' is also stored there,.... forever. Even when you 'delete' a friend, their information stays on your system, only the server's database is changed.)

(There are files on your system that are NEVER used but are installed/verified every time you launch the game, check out the 1 byte files in your wizard101 'bin' directory. These are artifacts from the old, OLD days of the game, but KI never made the effort to clean their 'launcher'.)

Another 'file' that is constantly written to, then shortly erased from, your drive is 'tmp.cur'. This is done ever time you 'click' on an an item, plant ,housing item, or another wizard, do a 'camera' look, and 'zoom' in and out. (I fixed my setup to stop this by creating my own presonal cursor for the game that never changes between the finger, wand, or focus versions the game uses.)

Then there is the 'in-game' patching; test if 'patching' needed, what needs to be patched, read the file, apply the patch, rewrite the file. Seeing that KI KNOWS has all the data and knows where it 'goes', why can't anyone download the fully 'patched' versions, thus eleiminating all the 'in-game' downloading/patching of files. (Well, at least, there is a way to stop it.)

As for the game's 'start-up' tests, prior to character selection, is a test that that the current game version, compared to that that appears on the 'patch server' exists on the client system and the files listed in the 'localpackages.txt' also file exist on client's system. There is little 'downloading' going on, except for the 'artifacts' I listed earlier and the latestfilelist.bin file. Most of the 'disk' activity that occurs is copying from banka to bankb then back again.
      File 'verifications' are done after character selection, when the game 'knows' where to look for 'graphical' information on how your wizard is 'equiped' and any files found 'missing' begin to download.

I'll stop here with desciptions, just to say that all of this covers most of the disk I/O functions that the game requires.

As a side note, the number of disk I/O operations for wizard101 is about three times the amount that is required by some of the other online games I tried.

I believe that, if you were able to 'cache' all of the game's 'data' files (~4GB) and kept your OS from trying to use/re-assign it, the game would probably run rather smoothly.
      (I wish I had a system that I could set up a 'RAMdisk' large enough for everything (~5GB, ~1500 files in 30 directories). Being the only 'solution' I can think of to reduce the amount of 'lag' this particular game can generate when it is 'gathering' information from the disks. (wish I had saved that old quad cpu server I had, over half of the board was for ram)

Nothing else 'plays' as bad as wizard101 does for me since 'updates' that have occured since AZTECA was applied to the 'live' servers, my bad, lets not forget about pirate101, I gave up on that puppy once i tried doing ship battles.
      The only reason wizard101 still exist for me, is the fact that I purchased areas and the kids still like it. (I still laugh when they scream at the screen, so there is still some entainment value in it for me.)
      Last edited by LagLover; 5-12-13 at 1:12 PM. Reason: update

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Benjamin GreenLeaf
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Tiger
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Sweet Tooth

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
      Sorry to hear that, but nothing you can really do except get a newer computer that is more geared toward gaming. I use an HP laptop and an HP desktop, both with great with the game and both are 3/4 years old.
      Please read my thread again, Wizard101 worked decently on our older computer. There is no reason why our NEWER CPU shouldn't work. Wizard101 did work a lot better in the areas that weren't messed up (Wizard City and Ravenwood, etc).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LagLover View Post

Thank you very much for the input! I'm surprised that Win98 is able to run Wizard101, but I'm happy to hear that.
      I tried disabling Hyper-Threading, but it only made the computer run a tad slower, and Wizard101 is still the same. So, I doubt it's the Hyper-Threading that's messing the game up.

hiddenmage is offline Magus Wizard

• hiddenmage's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Benjamin BlueEyes
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Jasmine
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'd double check the video drivers again just to be sure you have the latest.

Then, if you do and the problem is still there, see if you can go back to previous versions.

My thinking is if the game was running before, just slowly, and it's not running correctly now you might have to go backwards to a stable spot.

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Benjamin GreenLeaf
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Tiger
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Sweet Tooth

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenmage View Post
      I'd double check the video drivers again just to be sure you have the latest.

Then, if you do and the problem is still there, see if you can go back to previous versions.

My thinking is if the game was running before, just slowly, and it's not running correctly now you might have to go backwards to a stable spot.
      I have, they're the latest.

What do you mean by stable spot?

hiddenmage is offline Magus Wizard

• hiddenmage's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Benjamin BlueEyes
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Jasmine
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by bloody99pker View Post
      I have, they're the latest.

What do you mean by stable spot?
      Using an older version of your drivers. You had one that seemed to work pretty well, but when you updated them things started to go wrong.

I'm not sure what version you are using but normally they're named something like "Version 9.6.3.1"

If you can get the 9.6.2 version try that one and see if if helps. If not keep on going backwards until you get to what you were using before and it should be OK. If it's not then you might have other problems.

You also said you swapped out other components, but didn't say what. Have you checked your device manage to make sure that all those no issues and the latest drivers

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Benjamin GreenLeaf
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Tiger
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Sweet Tooth

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenmage View Post
      Using an older version of your drivers. You had one that seemed to work pretty well, but when you updated them things started to go wrong.

I'm not sure what version you are using but normally they're named something like "Version 9.6.3.1"

If you can get the 9.6.2 version try that one and see if if helps. If not keep on going backwards until you get to what you were using before and it should be OK. If it's not then you might have other problems.

You also said you swapped out other components, but didn't say what. Have you checked your device manage to make sure that all those no issues and the latest drivers
      Oh, I'm sorry! I swapped the CPU/GPU, Motherboard, CD drive, and the card reader. All of them are working properly. I meant that the game ran okay on the previous motherboard and CPU/GPU, which was a Intel Pentium D and OLD graphics. I've heard of going back to older drivers, but I don't know how. Can you give me an idea on how to do it? Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast