----

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Guide: Speed farming Couch Potato Seeds

Since KI added a 5th level to our pet training capability, the need for a good supply of mega snacks for anyone seriously intending to work and improve their pets talents, has become a priority. Before Couch Potatoes began dropping for free from battles, we had few choices. Basically it was buy “Mega Snack Packs” from the crown shop or spend an ungodly amount of time farming for Evil Magma Peas, from some of the higher rated Bosses. Most of the freely obtained plants only dropped the minor Mega Snacks.

We now have the option of farming for couch potato seeds in Grizzelhiem. They drop from several enemies there and while they are still considered as a rare drop, the ease of defeating these low level enemies makes it much more possible to gain a lot of seeds for a comparatively low amount of time invested.
      This guide is intended to help you maximize the number of seeds you collect over any amount of given time. It assumes a couple of things. First, you need a wizard of high enough level to have some power as well as good power pip rating, and accuracy rating.
      Next you need a 4 pip “Attack All Enemies” Spell. Death and Life Wizards are not the best school to farm with for seeds. This is not to say you cannot farm for seeds without these two things, but you will have far less success overall. In my opinion Fire or Storm wizards are the best.

I have read many discussions in the forum regarding who best to farm from. Who has the best drop ratio? Of course, if one was better than the other, this would be an important factor. But after collecting over two hundred seeds, and battling almost all the characters that drop CP seeds, I have yet to notice a significant difference. The only exception, according to rumor is Helgrind Warren, in Wintertusk. There are 7 bosses in the Warren, and according to wiki, they all drop CP seeds except for Ullik. The battles are long with all of them, and I personally have never gained a seed in the Warren. Someone here on the forum once posted a claim that the Sand Behemoth’s drop rate was as high as 1 in every 4 battles. I really doubt this claim. Sometimes I go there just to have more of a challenge when I am farming, plus it would be nice to verify that seeds do drop there. But as difficult as the battles are, I think you are probably better off fighting 40-50 of the lesser enemies in the same amount of time.
      The primary concern with choosing where to farm has one main factor. Which Enemies can your wizard defeat the most of, in the least amoung of time?

Here is a forum posting listing the characters that drop CP seeds.

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?314731-New-Couch-Potatoes-Drops&highlight=couch+potatoes

To me there seems to be only two primary factors determining how many seeds you may collect, and only one of them do we have any control over.

First is simple blind luck. Sometimes I will collect 4 or 5 seeds in just a couple hours. A few times I have gone a couple days without collecting any. We have no control over this, although I have found that sometimes changing realms can change my luck. Only KI knows the secret of which characters actually get loaded with a CP Seed, and we are basically at their mercy in this. I have noticed that for some unknown reason the weekends from Friday early afternoon until Sunday late evening seem to be a lousy time to farm. I have often spent many hours and not collected any or only one or two seeds over that entire period. In fact I am working on this guide right now on a Saturday afternoon after just spending over 2 hours farming. After over 70 battles I collected no seeds. Why weekends are lousy for farming is anyone’s guess. And since KI guards such secrets well, I assure you that is all anyone can give you … a guess. My own speculation, I think it probably has something to do with the higher number of people farming on the weekends, and possibly KI may have a daily or weekly limit to how many CP seeds are dropped. By the time the weekend arrives there are simply far fewer seeds available to give out. Again, that is only speculation on my part. I arrive at that conclusion because not only is my success rate lowest over the weekend, but my success rate seems to be highest on Mondays and Tuesdays. When I assume the weekly/ daily limit, if it exists, is refilled. This does not mean not to try at all over the weekend. There are exceptions to this and you never know until you try.

The second factor is speed. Simply put, the more battles you complete and the faster you complete them and move on to the next, the more seeds you will collect. Your goal, if farming by yourself is to complete a battle in the first round. If done correctly, a battle should take no more than 30 to 60 seconds depending on who casts their spell first. With such a fast turnaround, even minor details, if done consistently can make a difference overall. Simple things like dropping unneeded spells can take 5 seconds or more. If you have two sets of the spells you need, one set to cast now, and a second in case of a fizzle, don’t bother with dropping your cards. Cast your spell and pray it does not fizzle, saving those 5 seconds over 10 battles means one extra battle completed in the same amount of time. After an hour of farming you will have a considerable number of extra battles completed.

Choosing your gear:

I have a specific set of gear for farming. Since I need 4 pips to cast my primary spell I concentrate on gear that increases my power pip percentage. About 80% of the time I begin a battle with two power pips which means I can immediately cast my spell. The next concern with gear is accuracy. Fizzles are just a pain in the butt and you want to reduce them as much as possible. A third concern but of a much lesser importance is your critical rating. If you can increase it without reducing your power pip or accuracy rating it can sometimes be a help. Health or Mana should be a very low concern. These characters do not cast very high damage spells and there are usually plenty of red and blue wisps around to collect between battles if you need them.

Setting up your spell deck:

You want to load your deck with only the spells you are going to use. This should be your 4 pip AOL spell and I add my colossal spell also. With my meteor shower spell and a colossal spell attached to it I can defeat almost any of the characters that drop CP seeds with one strike. With only these spells loaded in my deck I have a very high chance of showing two sets of the spells I need, come up in the first round.
      Treasure cards are a lesser concern; however it does occasionally happen that my deck comes up without any colossal spells available. So I will load a few purchased gargantuan tc’s just in case they are needed. If you have problems with fizzling a few sniper cards can also be of help.

Pets, to have or not to have?

Pets can be a good thing while farming, if they show specific talents. For the most part though, they are not needed because most just end up slowing down the battle. Pets with “May cast Spritely or Fairy”, should never be loaded. These enemies do not cause much damage and your health rating should be high enough not to need any additional health in a battle. Plus there are usually plenty of red wisps around to grab between battles. Since the spritely Spell and most of the May Cast spells take so much time in their casting, and are cast fairly often, you end up wasting a significant amount of time with them. If that is all your pet shows? Don’t load it.

On the other hand, for example:

While I also tend to train my pets seeking the May cast healing spells, one day as I was going through my hatching records I noticed a cupig I had stopped training because at ancient level, he had yet to gain any of the talents I look for. But he did show Pip ‘O Plenty, and Fire Shot. I took him in and carefully trained him, feeding him only snacks that that increased the stats improving those two talents. I managed to max out those talents without gaining any of the may cast spells. This Cupig, “King Pepper” is now my CP farming pet used only when I am farming. He increases my fire accuracy by 6% and my Power Pip chances by 4%. Not a lot but every little bit helps. Right now when farming… with my special gear and King Pepper loaded … I have a total Fire accuracy boost of +20% and power pip Boost totaling 87%.

Entering the battle ring:

As I watch other people farming, entering the battle ring correctly is without a doubt the most often significant mistake I see. Since your main objective is to kill as many enemies as possible, as quickly as possible, you should always attempt, if you are battling solo, to get two enemies in the ring and active on the first round. This can be done with a little practice.

This is a picture of a splithoof Barbarian as I look at the entrance to the area. At the point he is at, just as he turns the corner, he is in the area of the battle ring when it is activated. He will stay in the activation area until just before he comes up to the tents on the sideline. When he is at this point, if I run directly into any other enemy who is near the ring, it will bring both of them into the ring and active in the first round.
      There are several different positions they can be in to achieve the same results. This picture shows only one example. Whatever enemy you choose to farm, take note of their walking pattern, and be able to visualize where the battle ring will appear. Once one enemy is inside that ring, running into any other enemy near the ring will bring both into it together.
      This trick is very significant in your overall success rate. Having to wait until the second enemy enters the ring on his own can easily expend the entire 30 seconds for casting your spell. You are usually better off to wait till they are in position rather than getting one at a time into the ring. If you miss and only one enemy enters the ring, it usually better to wait till the second enters the ring and then pass on your first round so that you do not expend any of your pips and are ready to cast your primary spell in the second round.
      This is one reason I generally prefer farming the Splithoof Barbarians and the Splithoof Ragers. If after a battle with the Ragers there are none immediately in position, it is a quick run over to the Barbarians. One area or the other generally will have a set of enemies in position. And if by chance none are in position in either area, it is a quick jaunt into the cave to battle with the boss Bloodseeker, where you will always get two enemies in the ring on the first round. The Troubled Warriors are also an easy enemy to achieve this trick with. There are a lot of them in a very small area with 3 battle rings in the area.

Team farming:

Many people prefer to farm solo for couch potatoes. I believe the natural consensus is that one person getting all the drops from 2 enemies is more productive than 2 people sharing the drop between 3 enemies. I’m not so sure this is true. The fact is that again only KI knows how drops from a team battle are divided up. One thing I am certain of, it is not an even split of the goods. My sister and I have done team farming a lot. I have noticed little if any difference in the drop rate for seeds. Sometimes she may get more, other times I do. If you are farming with a friend and you work together, it is very possible to get all three enemies in the ring and active in the first round. Success at this can make for a whole lot of bad guys defeated in very little time. If you don’t get all 3 in the ring first round, between the two of you, it should be an easy matter to defeat everyone in the second round at most.
      If you are joining someone else’s battle, show a little courtesy; don’t just run into the ring. Hit an enemy on the way in so that he follows you immediately into the battle.

For you lower level wizards or less powerful ones, don’t be afraid to adjust these suggestions to something that will work for you. Just remember… the only factor we have any control over is the speed of our kill ratio.

When KI first began dropping Couch potatoes, the drop rate was much higher than it is now. I remember on two occasions receiving two seeds in one battle. My average then was about one seed every 20-25 battles. Those days are long gone, with exception being the few times that luck is riding my way. Now I consider it a fair farming experience to get one drop in about 50-70 battles, and there are often times I come away with nothing. I encourage you not to give up, the seed drops are there and if you stick with it, will eventually come your way.

Couch Potatoes are a great free source for lots of Mega Snacks. I hope this guide may help those of you just starting to farm them. If any of you experienced farmers reading this have any further suggestions or tips feel free to add them to this post. There is never too much info for something like this.

Good Luck! J
      amber

Edit Update 01/26/2015

Choosing the Right Mob/Boss to Farm:

Since originally putting this guide together, there have been multiple posts in the gardening forum purporting one particular Mob/Boss as having a higher drop ratio. I have repeatedly checked each and every such claim personally. Always spending a minimum of 1 hr. per day over at least a 5 day period or, in the case of dungeons, running the dungeon at least 30 times again over a several day period. In none of these tests did I discover any higher drop rate that was noticeable. Mob vs Boss.... no difference.

While NO ONE can positively claim to know, specifically, just how KI decides which Mob/Boss gets how many seeds, but trying to see it from KI's position, I think one thing can be clearly stated. It would not make sense for KI to give a particular Mob/Boss an across the board higher drop ratio. Especially for a drop as popular, and as sought after, as CP seeds. With all the communication going on across the spiral and in the various forums, if that were true, it would soon be discovered and conveyed to everyone resulting in a mad dash and everyone concentrating on that particular Mob/Boss. I can't imagine KI intentionally setting it up this way.

Now, if by chance you just discover a particular mob/boss you enjoy battling as your favorite... by all means continue. Farming CP is often kind of a drab and boring task and if you can make it in any way more enjoyable, go for it. But do not be mistaken in thinking you are somehow increasing your chances of getting a seed.

Bosses as a general rule of thumb are just a bad choice, they simply take to long to get there, start the battle and defeat.

Choose a mob that your wizard can defeat the fastest, easiest and consistently. Often this will mean a mob from the opposing school as your wizard. For example if your wizard is from the fire school, a good mob to try would be from the ice school. There are exceptions to this... the Troubled Warriors are Ice School but they constantly and regularly put up fire shields. This can easily mess up the attempt for first round kills.

Simple blind luck continues to be the major factor in your success. While the drop ratios from mob to mob may be about equal, that does not mean that the weekly allotment of available CP seeds, when the are divided up amongst all the mob/bosses that drop them, are equally divided. At any particular moment one mob may have more seeds available than another, but finding that particular mob, at the particular time that they have more seeds to drop, is a matter of pure luck.
      Set a time limit, I normally choose 30 minutes. If I do not gain any seeds within that time, I change realms or try a different mob. If I suddenly find a mob that seems to be dropping them, I increase the time limit to an hour or more to see if I have been lucky finding that mob with more seeds available.
      Last edited by amber560; 1-26-15 at 7:16:12 PM.

MissEverdeen is offline Journeyman Wizard

• MissEverdeen's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Suri DeathHunter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  In pet training... a lot C:
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  N/A

Mood:
      Geeky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Guide to speed farm for Couch Potato Seeds

Really nice guide!

Supremacy is offline Magus Wizard

• Supremacy's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Logan Ghostwhisper, Jordan Night (Storm 100), Amber Dawn (Life 90)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MooShu
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Muffin, Spencer, Sophie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Strange Beast, Spark Beast, Forest Beast

Mood:
      Tired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I was one of the first people to find that Couch Potatoes were dropped by splithoove barbarians ._.

My wizards signed my signature

Wolf SoulSlinger is offline Apprentice Wizard

• Wolf SoulSlinger's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wolf SoulSlinger
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Spike
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Therizinosaur

Mood:
      Vegged Out

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Nice guide. I am having the best luck with Grendel Darters at the moment. Besides, they give better other drops. Today, I got three couch potatoes in a single battle.

Name:  Picture 2013-03-11 16-58-28.jpg
Views: 19927
Size:  179.7 KB

For anyone who is serious about couch potatoes, I have developed a very simple system to get 69 large soil plots in a single large area spell. Takes me about an hour to make these days. Working on a guide, but drop me a line if you are interested before I get it done.

Looks like this (these are snap dragons used for testing). Uses only two layers, both off the ground.

Name:  Picture 2013-03-04 19-24-02.jpg
Views: 19850
Size:  212.0 KB

Morgan TaleEyes is offline Novice Wizard

• Morgan TaleEyes's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Morgan TaleEyes
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lady Maggie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Carnation Pixie
      ----

Mood:
      No Mood

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

This is an excellent guide, but let me cut to the chase. I farm couch potato seeds all the time while watching tv and average 1-3 per hour long show. Unequip everything with extra cards or may cast spells. Aside from that, use whatever pip and damage boost gear or pet you want. Get a starter deck with ONLY 3 of your 4-pip hit all spells and 3 sun boosts (your highest level fist). I add one reshuffle to every deck. Train it. Splithoof Barbarians are the fastest to farm - speed is key - and catching both is often the longest part of the fight. If you can hit both, use hit all + sun boost. If you don't have enough pips, don't have a fist or only one enemy use staff. If there is a second round, use hit all or staff. Repeat. Don't clutter up your hand with cards that don't matter. Don't waste time with converts, targeting spells or other junk. Just hit all and fist. Toss a couple staff cards to make sure your hit all and fist are ready if they don't show first round. Last advice? Farm these when you're doing something else. With sound on, you can listen for the bell countdown, reach over to tap a card and go back to working or watching tv. If you can keep an eye out to quickly tap a card on your turn, you should average no more than 2 minutes per fight. I wouldn't farm these with a wizard that hasn't trained giant or monstrous at least. At that level, you have damage and pip boost to make this a fast fight.

AngusFiredust is offline Magus Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Vegged Out

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I have a Storm with a Tricky Dragon with Spell-proof, Storm-Sniper, Storm-Dealer, Storm-Giver, and Pain-Giver. With Waterworks gear, and NO WAND, I am over 100% accurate and I can one hit Frithir and her minion with just one white pip, Colossal, and Tempest. Its sick.

Stephanie Dawnheart is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Stephanie Dawnheart's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Stephanie Darkheart (death), Duneheart (balance), Dragonheart (storm), Dawnheart (life)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Star
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  various

Mood:
      Dreaming

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Good guide.

Would just like to add, the experience is more rewarding if you work on badges at the same time too.

Defeat 200 bears = Unbearable badge
      Forgotten Clansman / Troubled Warrior count as bears.

Defeat 2000 undead = Undead Slayer badge
      Hungry Soul / Lothin Doombringer count as undead creatures.

Defeat 250 plants = Weed Whacker badge
      Decaying Bogwalker counts as a plant.

Defeat 500 elementals = Elementalist badge
      Decaying Bogwalker, Runed Annihilator and Sand Behemoth count as elementals.

Defeat 500 spiders = Spiderbane badge
      Webwood Creeper / Webwood Scuttler count as spiders.

Defeat 200 ravens = Bird is the Word badge
      Winterwing Battler / Coven Initiate count as ravens.

Keeping track of how many creatures you've killed also helps you keep track of time, so you don't end up wasting hours and hours doing this and neglecting your real-life duties.
      STEPHANIE DAWNHEART a.k.a. DANDY STEPHANIE

Dawnheart-125 life | Dragonheart-125 storm | Darkheart-125 death | Duneheart-125 bal

Iceshard21 is offline Adept Wizard

• Iceshard21's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Nicholas Watercrafter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Micky
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Nutcracker

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

[QUOTE=vasubandu;4382788]Nice guide. I am having the best luck with Grendel Darters at the moment. Besides, they give better other drops. Today, I got three couch potatoes in a single battle.

Holy crud, I gotta try those guys!
      http://www.imagehostingcentral.com/images/Sunstone/avalanchesig.png
      Signature by Isaac Silverstone

amber560 is offline Magus Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

[QUOTE=Iceshard21;4402329]
      Quote Originally Posted by <strong>vasubandu View Post
      Nice guide. I am having the best luck with Grendel Darters at the moment. Besides, they give better other drops. Today, I got three couch potatoes in a single battle.

Holy crud, I gotta try those guys!

LOL Ya Know, I said the same thing. Especially when I had seen a second picture from the same area, with another 3 seed drop.
      But I'm afraid it is just as I said in my OP. Luck is clearly a factor. I have farmed the darters now on several occasions on several different days. Their drop rate is no better than anywhere else. Plus they are tricky little devils to get two in the ring and active on the first round. The poster just got there at the right time to get this drop. It might never happen again.
      Last edited by amber560; 3-25-13 at 7:22:35 PM.

Wolf SoulSlinger is offline Apprentice Wizard

• Wolf SoulSlinger's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wolf SoulSlinger
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Spike
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Therizinosaur

Mood:
      Vegged Out

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

[QUOTE=amber560;4403209]
      Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Iceshard21 View Post

LOL Ya Know, I said the same thing. Especially when I had seen a second picture from the same area, with another 3 seed drop.
      But I'm afraid it is just as I said in my OP. Luck is clearly a factor. I have farmed the darters now on several occasions on several different days. Their drop rate is no better than anywhere else. Plus they are tricky little devils to get two in the ring and active on the first round. The poster just got there at the right time to get this drop. It might never happen again.

I have not even gotten a two-seed drop since. But I do think there is an area that has a better overall drop rate. This is from another post

I believe that the single best place to farm for potatoes is the Coven Initiate in Ravenscar. In Ravenscar, use the green teleport stone to get to the Glacial Wastes. The Coven Initiates are just behind the Glacial Walkers. The green arrow below marks where they are.

The Coven Initiate a Balance and have 1050 life. They cast a -25% spell a lot, so it may take two rounds to kill them.

The key for me has been to farm alone and to change realms every 1-3 battles. It is not unusual for me to get couch potatoes the first fight in a new realm. I am averaging 1-3 couch potatoes per night on a fairly casual basis. Dropped gear sells for 300-1000 at the bazaar, so it is not a total waste of time. I occasionally get two couch potatoes in one fight. If you don't move before switching realms, you will often land in a battle because you are in the right place.

For some strange reason, it seems to me that using an enchant may decrease the odds, and using dino spells seems to increase the odds. I am collecting data to see if this is my imagination.

As a test,I just did 10 battles with with level 80 myth player. It took 12 minutes, and I had terrible luck. No couch potatoes, and in six fights noting but a bit of gold. Still what I got brought 2,292 at the bazaar. Not Halfang certainly, but at least I am getting something rather than nothing wit the lower level monsters. Weekends seem to give worse drops anyway.

I just mark my spot and when I have a minute or two go fight three rounds. I usually get nothing, but it is down time anyway. And sometimes I score.

Bear in mind that all of this is based on such a small sample that I could be entirely wrong. A good friend sometimes comes with me, and she swears that she never gets anything even when I do.

I play on my two kids' accounts. The players are Wolf Soulslinger (Balance 81) and Wolf Greenflame (Myth 80). If you see us there, say hi.

No doubt there is a lot of luck to it, but you can't get lucky if you don't play.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast