----

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Myth Variant: The Pacifist

I wanted to try something different so I came up with the idea to make a pacifist wizard. I'm sure someone must have tried this, but I haven't heard about it. Here are the general rules for the variant:

1. NEVER use an attack spell. This includes all spells that do damage (even wand attacks). All damage will have to be done by minions.

2. All boss fights must be done solo. It's no accomplishment to sit back and let other players make the kill for you. You have to work for it.

3. You can join other players for street fights. Most of the street fights are relatively easy, plus lots of times you don't have a choice since others will join your fight.

4. Treasure cards are allowed. (Having some Talos cards before level 55 can make some boss fights a lot easier.)

My pacifist wizard is level 29 now and just finished Marleybone. So far I've been able to stick to the rules. Here are my notes and some observations:

1. I started with a ghost dragon pet. This allowed me to have a minion at level 1 since he gives an Animate card. I'm not sure if there are other pets that give minions or if there is low level equipment that gives minions. I guess you could alternately use minion treasure cards till you get a minion spell.

2. The low level (1-3 pips) Animate minion stinks. It casts Taunt often wasting its pips and getting its self killed in the process. I stopped using it as soon as I got Golem Minion. Maybe it is better at higher levels.

3. I finished Wizard City at level 10, Krokotopia at level 21, Wysteria at level 27, and Marleybone at level 29. I've skipped almost all side quests.

4. Fights take a lot longer when you don't cast attack spells. Plus the minions sometimes make some poor spell selections, so that slows things down too.

5. With no attack spells to cast you just use buffs for the minion, healing spells, and shields. Since buffs and shields cost no pips (or 1 pip), you often end a fight with many extra pips. I'm still trying to think of spells to utilize these extra pips.

6. At this point of the game (wizard level 29) I like using the 4 point Cyclops. He is always shielded, but the higher life on him helps after multiple hits. The only issue I have with this minion is his Donate Power spell. I cringe when he casts this. I don't want your pips!

7. I expect the best amulet will be a Life Mastery Amulet. This is too bad since I wanted to do something different.

8. I've been using low level universal resist equipment. This is working very well for now, but I expect to have to balance this with power pip gear and +healing gear in the future. I'll need the extra pips later for more healing.

9. A buffed Cyclops minion can do some pretty surprisingly high damage. I've attached 2 screen shots of my Cyclops hitting for 1218 damage on separate occasions.

10. If your minion manages to do 900-1000 damage in one shot, often all the enemies will start attacking it. This is bad since it has no universal resist.

Conclusion:

This has been a lot of fun so far to play. I highly recommend it to others. I'll keep this thread updated as I move along, but it might take a while since I haven't had much time to play lately. If anyone has suggestions for equipment or spell selection to help improve this build please let me know. I keep feeling I'm missing something, especially in terms of spell selection. I've never played a myth wizard before or played with minions, so I could be missing something big.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Cedric Young is offline Adept Wizard

• Cedric Young's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cedric Young
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MarleyBone
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Star
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Rex
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragon

Mood:
      Arrg!

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Myth Variant: The Pacifist

This seems like a very interesting idea. However, I think it would be quite challenging once you get into Cl and above where enemies can critical, because none of the minions have any block, or the health to live past one or two attacks. I guess you could constantly shield/heal your minion though, but the fights might be extremely long. And a quick question: are you going to be soloing difficult main quest dungeons such as The Great Spyre, or Mirror Lake? Or are you going to go in with other people for difficult dungeons such as those?

Draglegs is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I think it would be quite challenging once you get into Cl and above where enemies can critical, because none of the minions have any block, or the health to live past one or two attacks.
      I do expect to hit a wall eventually where I can no longer progress. I agree this will most likely be somewhere in CL.

And a quick question: are you going to be soloing difficult main quest dungeons such as The Great Spyre, or Mirror Lake?
      I am definitely going to attempt to solo them. I have high hopes of getting through The Great Spyre, but I'm thinking I won't make it through Mirror Lake. I expect the late game will get very tough especially since I most likely won't have Waterworks gear. I'm not sure what course of action to take once I get to the point where I can't get any further. I'll have to think about it. Everyone should feel free to offer ideas on this.

I forgot to mention a caveat to the boss fight rule: If I manage to solo a boss fight I'm now free to replay that boss with the help of others. So I could farm a boss with others if I had already beaten it once on my own. The rationale is that I know I could do it myself, so it's ok to have help.

grass99 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• grass99's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Wolf Battlecaster
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Gigi
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Hotzilla

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I hope it goes well, lets see how far you get.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nightside Graphics Secret Housing Locations Wiz Magazine

----

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I ended up with some unexpected time on my hands this weekend so I've made some progress. I've completed Mooshu at level 38. I've still be able to adhere to the rules for the variant. So far it's actually been pretty easy. I've trained up to Satyr, so with all the healing and having and nothing else to cast I tend to stay at full health all the time.

No additional observations at this time, but I do have a new Cyclops Minion high damage pic to share (1735 damage!).

Coyote is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Coyote's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Peter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I do something similar for harder bosses. I talos, and wait for it, I use, actually use, those minion only spells. I do that and subdue and just basilisk or cc. I actually soloed jabberwock like that. Shield and talos.

Good Job btw.
      Last edited by Coyote; 1-12-13 at 10:15:34 PM.

Ethereal Enchantress is offline Adept Wizard

• Ethereal Enchantress's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sophia EmeraldBlossom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wintertusk
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fail x.x
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Attempted mascot

Mood:
      Cheerful

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I find this really interesting. As someone who enjoys trying unorthodox strategies, I'd enjoy seeing how far you get with this. Good luck!

Bringer of Storm is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Bringer of Storm's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Devin Thunderforge
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Bently
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Kraken

Mood:
      Sleepy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Congrats on making it to moo shu, honestly I wouldn't have thought you could get that far doing this. It is interesting that you are even able to do this, but after CL I don't think it will be that easy, being some enemies have 2,000 health. This is very cool, and it will be interesting to see how far you get.

Lucas is offline Transcendent Wizard

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Very interesting. I cant imagine relying on minions to kill, must have taken quite some time! It'll work for lower lvl, but once in DS and above, relying on minions will be quite hard, due to the monsters.

----

Mood:
      Sneaky

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Update:

I had a snow day today, so I was able to play a lot. I quested enough in DS to get part way through level 39. I then started Grizzleheim and leveled up to 40. I just completed the quest to defeat Jotun. I fought Jotun with both other bosses present! It was an epic fight that I was just barely able to survive. I was reduced down to 100+ life on two different occasions, but managed to claw my way back into the fight.

My strategy for the fight was to keep the fortify aura on at all times. I packed 9 Fortify treasure cards and 9 Talos treasure cards. I used all the Fortify cards and five of the Talos cards. I've included screen shots below of my spell deck, my pet, and my stats.

Winning this fight gives me both hope and fear for this build. Hope because this was a very difficult fight for this build and I was able to win on the first try. Fear because I had to use so many Talos cards. Most times Talos would cast Humongofrog just once and then get destroyed within the next two rounds. He did manage a second attack a few times, but never a third attack. His lack of longevity does not bode well for the future.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast