I was reading the Able gamers article,in which James Nance, senior Wizard101 producer discusses wanting to write a guide of how to change these settings until a GUI is available. This made me happy as I had already made changes to my config file and now felt I could share with some of the others.
Link to Wizard101 forum post in which the Able gamers article is linked to:
"The game is entirely mouse-selectable, and has keyboard shortcuts for almost every button. He actually brought up the issue with remapping keys, saying, "That's definitely something that we can improve on. One of the biggest things that I've struggled with because it's something I want to add, but its a little bit of an advanced configuration feature, is the ability to re-map all of the keyboard keys. Right now you can do it, there's xml files and configuration files in the directory that you can edit and it's pretty easy to do, but I might actually type up a little tutorial that we can post to say "...Hey, here's how you re-map your keyboard." We don't have any capacity to do that in the game now, but that's something I've been meaning to get to." This is great news, being that more options are always a good thing, and remapping keys is important to players that have limited use of a mouse or keyboard."
This link is to Wizard101 main site Players Guide Keybinding list of keyboard shortcuts.
Well James, here is my quick and dirty write up for the community.
Make sure the key your changing is not linked to another function, or if it is, make sure you are ok with the change.
1. Select My computer
2. For default install setup location go to, C:\Program Files\KingsIsle Entertainment\Wizard101\Bin
3. Sort by "Type" to bring XML documents to top
4. use mouse to Right click on config file and choose, "Open With", Notepad.
5. From notepad, with the config file open, select File/Save As
6. Save as "config-backup.XML" to the same folder. This will be your original copy for reverting to in case you change your mind, or something gets corrupted in the changed XML document.
7. Close this document and repeat step 4 to open the config we will be making changes to.
8. Use Ctrl+F to open the find menu, type "auto" and select the "find next" button.
9. For this example I am showing the change I made to the AutoRun keybind. By default this is set to Ctrl+R and NUMLOCK keys. I use autorun a lot and wanted an easier option, such as "R"
10. Change the one to a zero in the line "<Ctrl TYPE="BYT">1</Ctrl>"
11. Close the find menu, and save the config document.
12. Restart the game and test your settings.
Follow up: Want to revert your changes or have issues?
1. Delete the config file you changed
2. Open the config-backup.xml file in notepad
3. Save as, config.xml
This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.