•  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Ginger
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Li'l gold dragon of awesomeness ^^ Dragonblade, Sharp, Proof, Feint, Sprite
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

The Perfect Garden: Evil Magma Peas

WHY EVIL MAGMA PEAS?
      Couch Potatoes with five likes reach elder within six days, Evil Magma Peas with four likes reach elder within five, so for every five elder Couch Potatoes harvests (about a month) you can have a sixth elder harvest in the same time with peas.
      EDIT: Evil Magma Peas with five likes (adding the egg basket) reach elder in less than four days. That's right, four short days for 37 rank 9 mega snacks, the pet experience is like buying 5 mega snack packs every 3 days. You get the return on your investment in under 11 days. One of the best deals you can find in the Spiral IMO.

Evil Magma Peas harvest more often than Couch Potatoes, seven normal harvests and an eighth at epic instead of five normal harvests and a sixth at epic.

Evil Magma Peas are cheaper, for every five Couch Potatoes you can afford six Evil Magma Peas. They're also currently available in tier 6 on KI Free Games, it's hard to get something cheaper than free.

The peas take up less space. 37 can fit within the range of a 15-pip garden spell whereas only 14 Couch Potatoes can. 70 energy can care for two gardens of Couch Potatoes, a total of 28 plants, which is still less than you can fit in one Evil Magma Peas garden.

If you already have a Prickly Bear Cactus garden, Evil Magma Peas can move right into the medium plots with little extra work. (My Prickly Bear garden already had a dead bear with a pixie right in the middle. One less pea to buy, one less pea to harvest, but one less requirement to worry about since the pixie is already in place. Something to consider if you're in the same boat.)

Treasure cards. Personally I find these a pain, you can't sell them in bulk and can't sell the polymorphs at all. Couch Potatoes give extra snacks which take very little space and can be sold quickly. Be forewarned.

Reagents! Who wouldn't want an endless supply of scrap iron and other goodies?

The snacks are better! 4 Fancy Yogurt, 21 Mystic Dragon Fruit, and 17 Captain Canteloupe will get any pet to epic, get all stats to 250, all just by letting the dance game time out for 0 experience otherwise. (*) Couch Potatoes alone can only achieve this result with 50 Cauliflowers, 50 perfects at the dance/maze game (depending on setting) with 17 canteloupes and 18 Golden Wheat Bread, and using any of the yogurts in this situation will epic your pet before its stats are maxed.

TRAINING
      A short aside to cover training, since endless megas will change how this is done. It should be an important part of your decision to purchase this plant.

(*) - To explain this comment from the paragraph above, why let the dance game time out? This is a total of 42 games and the snacks max the stats perfectly. Actually playing the pet games, any pet games, will first mess up this perfect formula, unless you know exactly what you're doing you could end up with an epic pet without max stats. It will second do you little good, it will only save you 3 games. So I ask you, what's the point of focusing and getting your game perfect 39 times when completely ignoring it gives better results and requires only 3 more games? Go ahead, be lazy, your pet will thank you. Pet training has become obsolete.

Now for those who have already invested in Couch Potatoes, for those asking are there other useful snack combinations which use snacks from both plants? You are correct:
      - 4 Fancy Yogurt, 10 each of Mystic Dragon Fruit, Captain Canteloupe, Cherry Tomato, and Golden Wheat Bread, 44 games total.
      - 5 Fancy Yogurt, 18 Cherry Tomato, 23 Golden Wheat Bread, 46 games total.

As you can see Fancy Yogurt is the snack to avoid. That is, unless you think outside the box. Hatch plenty of eggs, train them all to epic, choose which pet to keep. NOW is the time to max the remaining stats with other snacks. Sure it's 8 energy per game (count yourself lucky, training pets beyond epic used to take 10 energy) but with 14 Intellect or 15 Agility per game, plus 2-4 each for choosing a good game/setting and scoring perfect, you'll have even the lowest stat maxed in another day or so. Trust Max thinking outside the box is what she does.

And if your pet doesn't need to give you accuracy (YAY!) pips (eh) or mana (puke) then its Intellect doesn't matter anyway. Max stats? Who needs max stats? In that case your Couch Potatoes will be all you need.

ENERGY
      Caring for your Evil Magma Peas garden will only take 55 energy at a time. So why is energy an issue here? PLANTING! The 32-plant garden variant (more on that below) will pose no problems for legendary wizards, your 70 base energy will be more than enough, but planting 37 seeds at a time will require 74 energy unless you plant all but 2 seeds and wait 40 minutes to finish. To plant your whole garden in one go, and ensure it can all be harvested at the same time, you need to overcome this little hurdle.

If you already have enough energy, this is a good spot to skip to the next section.

The Wintertusk Rings of Valor and Courage, crafting recipes available from Ingulf the Grower in Vestrilund, give 4 energy each, just enough for a legendary wizard and you won't need crowns. Though since we're talking crowns plants, this may not be an issue.

Unless you got your Evil Magma Peas all from KI Free Games rewards. In this case farming for Dragon's Hoard Packs in tier 7 (or buying them for crowns) could get you one of the Dragonrider's Utility items, any one item will be enough for your legendary wizard. Even saved/traded items from lower level wizards can help, level 30 is where each piece begins to give 4 energy each and even lower level Utility gear can be combined for the 4 energy. I prefer the legendary boots, still useful in a pinch if a friend calls for help when your gear is set up for gardening, accuracy and good critical block without messing with your critical rating.

The Baconator Costume in the crown shop, the boots aren't bad at all. You can also split this set among three separate wizards. It's rather expensive though, not useful enough for the price IMHO.

And finally the Beastmaster Set, also in the crown shop. Considerably cheaper than the Baconator, can also be split between three wizards, and has no level requirement. Alternately the full costume will get a wizard as low as level 32 all the energy he needs for planting.

INDOOR/OUTDOOR AND AIMING
      Now you need to start thinking whether you want the 32-plant or 37-plant garden. Both are close in numbers but quite different in behavior.

The 32-plant garden is very forgiving, its sides give a little padding for the 15-pip garden spells. You can set it up inside or outside, in pots or plots, and as long as you're careful you'll probably never miss that poor plant in the corner with your spells. At only 5 plants less per harvest (a 14% smaller harvest) it's a small sacrifice for that extra security. It's also cheaper, a little less crowns (40,000) than two gardens of 28 Couch Potatoes. I had a 32-plant Prickly Bear garden for months because I got tired of missing the bears in the corners from being a pixel off in my aim, gardening was SOOO much easier with the smaller garden. And as already mentioned above, energy isn't a problem planting seeds for this garden, 32 seeds only takes 64 energy.

The 37-plant garden stretches the 15-pip garden spells to their limits, there is very little room for error. If you're planting your garden in pots inside your house, this is a very bad choice, garden spells aim THROUGH pots so you can't see exactly where you're aiming. If you know from experience that your aim is atrocious, this is still a bad choice, but I'll have some tricks to help your aim later as long as your garden is in outside plots. Trust me, I didn't give up my 32-plant garden of Prickly Bears to jump back into a 37-plant garden and all its fickle misses without finding a way to aim that was fast and EASY. This size costs a little more crowns (46,250) than two gardens of 28 Couch Potatoes.

MINIMALIST OR EASY
      The minimalist garden will take minimum space in your house, not one item more than is necessary, total of 78 item slots for a large garden or 68 for the small garden. But the minimalist garden takes more preparation. The easy garden will take only 2 more slots and it's much easier.

Evil Magma Peas have four likes: garden gnomes, pixies, Boom Shrooms, and the Djembe Drum.
      EDIT: Thanks to the efforts of Bolthar and a friend who brought it to my attention, it looks like Evil Magma Peas have a fifth like, the craftable Egg Basket from Grizzleheim.
      http://www.wizard101central.com/foru...93&postcount=4

GARDEN GNOMES AND DJEMBE DRUMS
      Go buy some. Celestia's robot furniture vendor sells the drums. You only need one of each. (If you're doing the minimalist garden below, grab a Pet Cannon while you're there.)

BOOM SHROOMS AND PIXIES
      Here is where our minimalist/easy gardens divide. Pixies are always the toughest thing to get for your garden. In a minimalist garden our Boom Shrooms will actually be FIERY Boom Shrooms which get their own pixies. The bear over the bridge in Nordrilund sells these, or you can farm them from Confused Forest Warriors in Hametsu Village. In an easy garden you can buy ONE cheap Boom Shroom and some cheap Orange Dandelions. It takes slightly more space but your garden will be ready faster. You'll want quite a few Fiery Boom Shrooms or Orange Dandelions, they don't always get pixies so you might have to plow a few and try again. You also want to use POTS to get these pixies. Pots can be placed more tightly in the corners than small plots can, and you want these pots stuck in those corners as tight as they can go. The tighter the fit, the closer they are to all your plants.

DEADLY NINJA FIGS, PET CANNON, AND BROKEN STUMP
      This is minimalist garden fare, skip if you're going with the easy garden. If we want our Fiery Boom Shrooms to grow quickly, and develop pixies quickly, we need to make them happy. These things make them happy. You did get the Pet Cannon when you bought the Djembe Drums, right? The Deadly Ninja Figs you can farm from... Confused Forest Warriors in Hametsu Village. Sound familiar? Or you can buy them from the bear over the bridge in Nordrilund. Sound even more familiar? Wonder why I recommended the trees in Hametsu? I'm all about efficiency.

Here I must pause to quote myself: "In Mooshu, tree hits you!"

Moving on. The broken stump I'm afraid you'll have to really farm, unless you're lucky enough to find one in the bazaar (check the plant life section). Only the Fire Elemental in Helgrind Warren drops it. Good luck! If you can't get it, no big deal, your shrooms will be happy enough to pixify without it. Personal experience talking. If you don't already have one, putting forth the effort to get one for this is a little overboard, it's really not that necessary.

KILLING YOUR PIXIES
      Best explained with a picture:
      Name:  evil05.png
Views: 2267
Size:  285.6 KB
      The Deadly Ninja Fig sprout still likes the pixie. You can't see the pixie because its plant is dead. That plant is the Fiery Boom Shroom. Even though the plant is dead, the pixie still works. You're going to kill your pixies. Why? Because this makes them permanent, dead plants don't die even more, they just stay dead with their pixie forever. If your plant reaches epic that's BAD, epic plants lose their pixies. (They didn't use to, but KI fixed that.) EVIL MAGMA PEAS DO NOT GET THEIR OWN PIXIES! We need these permanent pixies, you'll be glad you worked ONCE to get them for all your following harvests.

NOW FOR THE SETUP
      Yeah, who is this Max person? Some kind of perfectionist? XD Let's plant our garden already!

FLOATING
      You'll notice I don't advocate floating in the garden setup. First, I tested it again recently. My Prickly Bears were happy with their floated sand piles for months, but when I relocated the pots and sand piles to another house I ran into a common problem I've found with floating. I couldn't plant seeds in the pots. This doesn't always happen, it's hit or miss, but I'm not going to tell you to try something that's buggy and likely to mess up your garden. Second, you don't need to float anything. Both size gardens have way more spots than you'll need in the corners, and these corner spots are within like range of every single plant. That's right, you only need ONE drum, ONE shroom, ONE pixie, and ONE gnome for the whole garden, no floating necessary. I do recommend you float a rug if you're using pots to give you a better vantage, but it's not buggy at all and I'll cover it more later.

PLACEMENT
      All medium plots will fit together point-to-point like this:
      Name:  evil04.png
Views: 1535
Size:  66.1 KB
      You'll see they have a small four-pointed star between them. The large garden pictures below all show their respective diagrams in one of the top corners of the picture. Most large houses will have enough space for one somewhere but plan carefully.

MINIMALIST GARDEN PREPARATION
      Here is the BEGINNING of your minimalist garden:
      Name:  evil01.png
Views: 2506
Size:  392.0 KB
      The 32-plant variant isn't much different. We're just making a large space in the middle to fill with things that the Fiery Boom Shrooms like. The shrooms will go in the small blue circles on the diagram. The large pink circle is your Deadly Ninja Fig, your Pet Cannon, garden gnome, and Broken Stump (if you have one) will all fit in this center square as long as it's nine (3x3) medium plots in size. Once you have a pixie, remove those things the shrooms like, plow up the fig and the non-pixie shrooms, and fill this space with medium plots to look like one of the gardens below. In the unlikely event all your Fiery Boom Shrooms reach adult without a pixie (or young if you're in a hurry, since at least one should be pixied by young) plow and try again. You don't have to care for the fig, your shrooms will like it even if it's dead.

EASY GARDEN
      Go straight to the garden setups below, for whichever size garden you wish to plant. You can plant one old-fashioned Boom Shroom and several of any small plants which get their own pixies, or you can stick to the Fiery Boom Shrooms anyway and you still have a very good chance at least one will get a pixie. If they make it to adult and you have no pixies, just plow and try again.

32-PLANT GARDEN
      Name:  evil03.png
Views: 2962
Size:  341.1 KB
      As you can see from the picture, the 15-pip garden spells surround the whole garden easily. This is the garden to use if you must plant inside your house, or if you just want to use pots instead of plots. (Pots instead of plots will allow you to plant immediately, no using so much energy making dirt that you don't have enough left to plant the seeds.) But you can still make this garden with plots if you choose, just to buy/use fewer Evil Magma Peas. Also notice in the picture that the Baby Carrots (only used for this example) can see the garden gnome even though it's quite far. You can put anything around the edges of this garden and all your plants will see it. The blue circles in the diagram are where us purists would put things, but this diagram has no red circles, there's no bad place to put a like.

One final thing you might catch in this picture is that I'm standing on a rug. I recommend rugs for gardens with pots instead of plots. Pots make aiming difficult because the spells aim through them, you can't see the ground where they hit, you need a good vantage point to see your whole garden and exactly where the ring of your 15-pip garden spell falls. A rug floated about 2 crates above the ground, exactly centered on one side of your garden, is perfect for this. I've also found placing it a few steps away from the edge of the garden, not right next to the pots, helps even more. It's also very convenient for harvesting, much easier to click the tops of all the plants from here than otherwise.

37-PLANT GARDEN
      Name:  evil02.png
Views: 3047
Size:  447.6 KB
      This picture is quite different. It looks like the 15-pip garden spell is missing several of the plants but I assure you, it's perfectly centered and the plants will get the care. However this shows how little room for error there is in your aiming. We'll get to that. The red circles in the diagram are BAD! Even though they're right on the edge of the garden, all your plants will not see them. Luckily the blue circles are just enough closer that all plants will see those, leaving eight spots to put a total of four likes, plenty of space.

As you can see here:
      Name:  evil06.png
Views: 2266
Size:  356.5 KB
      Yep, it works. And there's our dead Fiery Boom Shroom in the corner with its pixie. You'll also notice in this picture that the center plot is enchanted soil. ONLY the center plot is enchanted soil. But Evil Magma Peas don't require enchanted soil. This is our aiming plot, easily picked out by wading among a mass of entangling pea plants that might otherwise boggle your sense of direction. You'll have no trouble finding this plot in the mess of plants, needs, and pests and it only costs 2 energy extra to plant, an excellent deal. Here's how we'll use it:
      Name:  evil07.png
Views: 1800
Size:  308.6 KB
      Stand just next to it. Luckily the stem of your pea plant is skinny so you can see the plot beneath it. (Prickly Bears are fat and get in the way.) Your plot isn't a circle, it's an octogon. Where the four lines from corner-to-corner meet is the center. You'll just have to imagine the lines a bit, aim for the very middle of any two opposing corners. Ignore the plants, look through the plants, just focus on the corners. It'll be quick, it'll be easy, and it'll let you care for 37 plants without ever missing.

Within 5 days you'll have 37 mega snacks, and these are GOOD mega snacks. This is BETTER than buying 6 mega snack packs, and you get it every 5 days. Within 15 days, 3 epic harvests, you've made your money back and then some. And the plants keep coughing up the snacks after that. You'll never buy megas again, you'll probably never pay attention to a pet game again, the minimal extra benefit just isn't worth the extra effort anymore. And your pets will just love you forever and ever and ever. <-- pet
      This post contains 21 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.
      Last edited by PunkyMax; 9-13-11 at 1:41 PM. Reason: I reserve the right to change my mind without warning

2. Thanks 347 Member(s) thanked this post
        Jas is offline Archmage Wizard

• Jas's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jasmine SummerRider, Melissa RoseBlood (Death), Brooke Song (Ice), Jennifer (Myth)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Amber
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Magenta Hound

Mood:
      Grumpy

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Perfect Evil Magma Peas Gardens (& the new pet training)

This is very informative. Thank you

Hope is so easily lost.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
        Ramesses II is offline Master Wizard

• Ramesses II's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Valdus HexBreaker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Queen Sheba
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Aqua Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Make the Most of your MAGMA PEAS (& the new pet training)

Thanks a ton for this!
      Valdus Hexbreaker - Jack Spellcaster - Jason Silverheart - Jackie Stardust

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
        Willowdreamer is offline Moderator

• Willowdreamer's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Something Willowdreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  King Blue
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Wendigo

Mood:
      Amused2

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'd use one word -- WOW!! -- but it would be too short a post. This took quite a bit of work, congratulations on a great idea.
      Watchtower Hall crafted 7/21/10 -- Guides: Crafting Stations, here -- Crafted Grizzleheim Housing Items here -- Mirkholm Keep Ore/Diamonds here -- Cave of Solitude Black Lotus here

8. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
        Bolthar is offline Master Wizard

• Bolthar's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Nightstalker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  TONS
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  TONS

Mood:
      Alienated

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Nice guide punkymax. Nothing I didn't already know but I figured I would put a picture of how I do the floating likes which we hit on in the other thread you did. I do have to admint your guides are very through and detailed and their content does impress me you sum up in one post what it took me hours of trial and error to figure out on my own because noone had posted such things.

Again this makes just one of each you need and as you can see they are far off the ground but still all see the likes.

The rug is actually a rug which was floated one time from the edge and then a bookshelf/rug was put into place far enough over the mounds that I don't "warp" up to them and thus they are 100% out of my way. Originally it was a plant with a pixie up there but I plowed it under to put a fiery boom shroom and am praying it gets a pixie so I can let it die since this char will be my endless magma pea gardner until the end of time or until I give up on them too. While it achives the same result as in your guide I find it much easier to float a rug and place everything on it then fiddle around making sure I have enough likes all over. Still waiting on my first fully mature harvest
      This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.

10. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
        X_Kyurem_X is offline Master Wizard

• X_Kyurem_X's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Caleb Winterheart
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Piper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  PDF Shadow Beast

Mood:

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Bolthar View Post
      Nice guide punkymax. Nothing I didn't already know but I figured I would put a picture of how I do the floating likes which we hit on in the other thread you did. I do have to admint your guides are very through and detailed and their content does impress me you sum up in one post what it took me hours of trial and error to figure out on my own because noone had posted such things.

Again this makes just one of each you need and as you can see they are far off the ground but still all see the likes.

The rug is actually a rug which was floated one time from the edge and then a bookshelf/rug was put into place far enough over the mounds that I don't "warp" up to them and thus they are 100% out of my way. Originally it was a plant with a pixie up there but I plowed it under to put a fiery boom shroom and am praying it gets a pixie so I can let it die since this char will be my endless magma pea gardner until the end of time or until I give up on them too. While it achives the same result as in your guide I find it much easier to float a rug and place everything on it then fiddle around making sure I have enough likes all over. Still waiting on my first fully mature harvest
      Isnt that like the whole stacking incident? Stacking can get you banned, but idk if thats what your doing.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

Great guide! Im gonna go buy myself some magma peas! Quick question, how do i get 32 magma peas? :P
      This post contains 2 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.

12. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
        GAGM200 is offline Initiate Wizard

• GAGM200's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Garrett EmeraldFlame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Xena
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thanks, I was doing it with floating gnomes and drums and shrooms in the corners but now that I know they can all see the stuff in the corners I don't need to float.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
        Atrocity is offline Legendary Wizard

• Atrocity's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Reed Giantpetal
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

This is the best thread I've seen throughout central. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE sticky this. All of my posts haven't been nearly as helpful as this one thread.

16. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
        Deathshard is offline Promethean Wizard

• Deathshard's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Merciless Elijah Freeman
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MarleyBone
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sneaky Sneaker
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Orchid Chameleon

Mood:
      Devilish

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Atrocity View Post
      This is the best thread I've seen throughout central. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE sticky this. All of my posts haven't been nearly as helpful as this one thread.
      You should see the OP other thread about gardening, all very helpful.
      This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
        SpellBlade is offline Fizzled

• SpellBlade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Alex SpellBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Taz
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Not enough room to list...
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Very informative. Nice guide. Thanks.

~SpellBlade

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast