----

Mood:
      Energetic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Here are some the questions we've been asked over the past few months. If you have another questions, please feel free to ask!

What is a friend to mercenaries 101 (a.k.a. F2M101)?
      A person who has posted on this thread and asked for help, and/or has volunteered to assist a Mercenary with large instance area requests such as Brisk Breeze Tower, The Warehouse, Trial of Speres, Toth etc, and/or helped at events such as the Tri-Harvest festival, Reel in your Gear, etc. We consider nearly everyone who posts here an F2M101.

Is it true you can go into the gauntlet to help people get their level 58 pets as long as you're the same school? If this is possible, do you guys help with this?
      There is no way to help even if a wizard is the same school and there are sigils available. We mercs have tested extensively to find that the level 58 spell, the new level 55 spell and 58 pet quests are all solo. Help was once possible with level 58 life spell quest, but that is no longer true. There are other solo quests where two people MAY be able to work together, if they both happen to have the quest (eg, the spell quest for judgement), but as the odds of us having an M4H on the same quest are extremely small, we do not help with these either. We also can not help with the other other higher level spell and pet boss fights themselves. As they are all solo affairs from 55 onward.

You still allow people that are not mercenaries to help with places under AV, right?
      Yes except in cases of Briskbreeze, the Warehouse, Waterworks, Tower of the Helephant, and Nastrond. For requests in AV or higher, cheat dungeons, or at Jotun or nastrond, F2M4H are welcome to join in a run that a merc has already set up, but the merc will be the one leading the run.

How do Merc's get all these area's? By crowns or by membership?
      The team is a mix of subscribers, crown players, and some of us even have more than one account of different types.The important thing is just being able to have access to ALL AREAS of the game. That is one of the requirements of being a Merc.

How do you decide when someone who is not a Merc finally joins the team?
      We add members when we as a group feel a need for them. This is typical when there is a lot of new content, or when current mercs go inactive. We keep our numbers relatively small, as it helps foster a closer relationship between the Mercs. When we do decide to bring in new blood, we typically recruit from the F2M101 group that has the best skill sets.

Why don't you train some people to be Mercenaries in Training?
      The mercs on almost any run will try to not only get you through an instance, but explain how we're fighting and why we're requesting certain things be done a certain way. If you're on a run with a merc and you have any questions about why we're doing what we are, feel free to ask! That in and of itself is a certain degree of 'training'. Once the team decides more people are necessary, there is indeed a more intensive 'training' and 'testing' phase for a short list of potential mercs. (This is about as much fun as it sounds. Oy.) When that phase is going on and who is involved is kept under wraps for obvious reasons, but the hope is that a potential merc would have both the ability and the desire to learn as much as they can on their own, both from the mercs and from their own experience, before that time.

I am a member here, but I have a friend who is not. Can I request help for both of us to do a dungeon together? Or would she have to be a member on here as well?
      We would gladly accept such a request. Note that in the case of Tower of the Helephant we may break it up into two separate requests, but this is because of the difficulty of the dungeon, not the fact that someone doesn't have a central account.

Do you guys take requests to areas that people can get into, but not necessarily activate? For example the StormRiven pylons before they are activated for me, the jade oni, the Plaza of conquests, etc.
      We do not take such requests. You must have full access to the boss you are requesting help with.

Can someone who has NOT ever been helped by M101 before take requests on the thread? I saw that it said that people who have been helped by M101 are considered F2M101, but nothing about people who haven't been helped.
      Friends and newcomers alike are only allowed to pick up request in Wizard City through Zafaria help section - we welcome help and new friends from anywhere.

So at any given time, about how many mercs are there usually?
      There's no concrete answer to that as the number is always changing. The numbers of mercs we have depends on the current request load, how much our F2M101 can help out, how active our mercs are able to be with outside personal obligations, etc. Our needs can change greatly depending on factors both in game and out of game. In the recent past we've had anywhere from 6 to 14 active mercenaries.

I've noticed that even if a mercenary has enough pips to attack, they usually don't. They blade me and want me to kill the boss, but I wish they would just kill it. Sometimes I just want to get through the dungeons fast.
      Yes, we will usually have the 'client' do the killing, at least of the bosses, and sometimes of the mobs as well, unless it is a farming request. For questing requests, we want to teach you how to kill so that you can grow as a player and become more self sufficient. As a whole, our goal as a group is not to simply use a (often over-leveled or overpowered) wizard to help you burn through a dungeon as quickly as possible. We want to see our F2M101 grow as wizards, and help them discover the knowledge and skills to move on successfully on their own two feet.

Do you help people the one in a million badge?

While we Mercenaries love a good overkill, and you may occasionally see a 1,000,000 damage hit on a run, we are not currently accepting requests to earn badges. If you check the rest of the help section you may find another person or group to help. Good luck!

I am not asking this to any one Merc, but to all who can answer. I want an honest answer too. On a scale from 1 to 10, do you all enjoy doing what you do here on Central? Also, why do you do it (your motives)?
      We all enjoy what we do, but we are all VERY different people and enjoy it for different reasons. Some of us enjoy helping others learn. Some like meeting new people. Some enjoy a challenge and trying out new things. Most of us are some combination of a bunch of reasons, and what matters most depends on the day.

As for how much we all enjoy it, that also depends on the day, lol. There will be days with anything in life where you'll love what you do, and other days where not everything is all fun and games (even if it is all a game, lol). I think all of us can say, though, that no matter WHAT kind of a day we're having and how we feel, we'll feel better about it after helping someone accomplish something that they've been working towards for a long time. Making a difference to someone, even if it's just having a good time with them on something that's previously been troubling them, will ALWAYS be a positive thing.

I think/hope I can speak for the team when I say that we keep doing this for a lot of reasons. We enjoy helping others and watching them grow. Even more than that, though, this group really is like a virtual family. The team is comprised of everything from high schoolers to grandparents (CONGRATS to the new grandma in the group, woot woot!), conservatives to liberals, Ravenclaws to... well okay, we're actually all Ravenclaws. But regardless of how different we all are, we talk about anything and everything, goof off together, share joys and triumphs, support each other through grief and loss. Even the team members who've retired keep in touch a lot, simply because we're all such a big part of each other's lives. At the end of day (even on the bad days), that's what keeps up sticking together and coming back - because we care about the community, and we care about each other.

When some non-M101 picks a request where it's available, the experience of the "client" is bound to be different from a run with one of the mercs. Do you have any written guidelines on what to aim for and what tactics to use when teaching a new person?
      When picking up a request I would try and see that the client gets the big hit for the big boss of the request. Other then that do your best to give them things to do along the way to help. In short there are no written guidelines at this time.

Do you ever have to explain any less obvious game basics such as looking at what spells others are casting? Show the difference between TC, Pet, enchanted (Sharpened Blade) and learned blades? Show the importance of prism/trap order?
      yes, yes, and yes. If you can imagine an aspect of the game, we have probably had to explain it at some point.

Hello, Mercenaries! I was wondering if you guys take Winterbane Hall farming requests, or if you will at some point?
      YES, we will take requests for farming Winterbane Hall! KingsIsle has been kind enough to supply our entire team with our own halls to use for just this purpose. That being said, most of us have only been running through the level 80/90 dungeon and may not have much experience with the lower level versions, so if you're requesting on a lower level character, please be patient with us and be understanding of any cheats that we may not anticipate in the low/mid level range. We'll absolutely get you through, but we may slip up a few times keeping all of the cheats straight at various levels until we get a bit more practice under our belts, lol.

When a merc helped me farm, he left after several battles without me getting what I wanted from that boss. Am I allowed to ask again for help with farming that boss again for the item I want?
      Yes if we were unable to acquire the item feel free to post again the next day, to try and get the item again. Though we only guarantee about one hour per farming request or until the dungeon in question is completed once(in case of longer instances).

I was wondering why sometimes people can post requests ahead of time but don't get a response until an hour or less before the time you guys can help them? I know you guys say that you appreciate lots of notice, and I try to give it, but something I feel like we don't get much notice back. Can you explain why sometimes we don't get a response quickly?

First off, thanks for the question! I get the feeling that you're a bit afraid to even ask it - please don't be. We know that this is a concern for a lot of people and we absolutely want to be open about it with you guys. I know this is a question that a lot of people have probably thought and we want to make sure you guys know that it's not because we don't think your time is valuable - quite the opposite.

There are a few reasons why we wait until closer to a request time to set an exact time for a run. I'll start with the most important ones.

- We can get a LOT of requests in a day, most of them in the afternoon and evening. In the past few months we've had a lot of days where we have 20+ requests, and trying to figure out how to handle all of them in one night can be a bit like fitting puzzle pieces together. If someone at 5pm posts a request to do Waterworks sometime between 10pm and midnight that night, we'll wait to see if any other requests come up that we can combine it with. If we right away arrange to meet you at 10pm, someone else will inevitably post a request for help at 10:30, lol. Or alternatively, someone may post a request for something ELSE (say a quick boss like Cipactli) for 10:30 that we are now unable to take because we've booked ourselves to be in Waterworks. If we wait a bit longer to set a time, we have a clearer picture of the "puzzle pieces" that we needed to fit together in a night, which enables us to handle more requests instead of scrambling and possibly leaving some requests unanswered.

- We need to give a bit cushion to our personal schedules. Someone may post a request for farming a boss sometime between 9-11:30pm, and we know that for them, sooner is usually better. To use my specific case, I would know that my kids will probably be in bed by 9. Probably. But we all know that sometimes life happens, lol, and I don't want to risk leaving one of you standing at the sigils waiting for me if one of my kids has a nightmare or begs for a second bedtime story, nor can I in good conscience ignore those needs from my family. Other mercs may have worries like getting stuck in traffic on the way home from work, or a school assignment taking longer than intended. For reason like that, we tend to not post a time until we're absolutely SURE we can make it, because we know that real life can sometimes throw us a curveball and we don't want to leave you guys hanging.

- Sometimes we're not sure which mercs are going to be available for later runs. One mercenary may take 4 or 5 runs during the day/early evening and be getting tired. They may see a request up for later that night and realize that, while they can probably take it, they also need a break if they can get one. In that case, they may wait to see if another mercenary signs on later in the evening and is able to take the run. If no one else is available, they're happy to help; in the meantime, though,
      they're waiting to pick up your request in order to give other mercenaries the opportunity to take that run.

All that being said, if you need more notice for your request, please just let us know! Make a note at the bottom of the request that you'd like at least one or two hours notice, or that you need to know by 5pm, etc. If we know that you need more notice, we'll do everything in our power to make that happen for you.

You say you help people learn how to fight strategically while they're fighting? Well, is it possible to make a request where you are taught to fight instead of help on a boss/mob/(other request)? Long story short, can you teach how to strategize?
      While your request should still be in the context of defeating a boss or a dungeon, we can absolutely spend more time on the strategy part of the game. We do NOT offer any PVP services. If you'd like us to spend extra time on strategy or deck set up instructions, just let us know on your request form or when we meet. Many players seem to prefer a quick run but we really do enjoy teaching about how any school or level can be successful in this game. You can also check out the following guides for more information on general strategy and techniques to use on your own:

Lower Level Mob Decks
      Higher Level Mob Decks
      How to Get Buffed (for huge hits!)
      Strategies for Difficult Instances

Finally, thank you to all of you who asked questions (and gave answers!) for this section.
      Feel free to keep posting on this thread with any other questions you may have.
      Last edited by compguru1; 6-1-13 at 10:42:24 PM.

Anointed is offline Apprentice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

For Starters Congrats on own forum, You deserve it. Thank you for
      your services.

This is as much as a question as a suggestion. Why cant helpers or
      can you allow helpers to help in dragonsypre. DS for any legend is
      so easy.

Maybe i can suggest special helpers?, Tested helpers, or just plane
      open ds to helpers. Looking forward to your thoughts. and again
      Thanks

Mr.Owl is offline Magus Wizard

• Mr.Owl's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Quinn FrostGrove
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Jasper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Raven
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Anointed View Post
      For Starters Congrats on own forum, You deserve it. Thank you for
      your services.

This is as much as a question as a suggestion. Why cant helpers or
      can you allow helpers to help in dragonsypre. DS for any legend is
      so easy.

Maybe i can suggest special helpers?, Tested helpers, or just plane
      open ds to helpers. Looking forward to your thoughts. and again
      Thanks
      Thanks!

To answer your question:
      I think we would all agree that Dragonspyre is a turning point in the game. While yes, any Legendary could easily breeze through Dragonspyre, Mercenaries for Hire is more than just a "get it done" service. We try to teach and instruct more than just sweep people through an area (give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime ). There are many points in Dragonspyre that can be frustrating for many on their first times through and the tide of battle can shift quickly. Plus, there are just some instances that we like to ensure get done--those being the Labyrinth, the Great Spyre and the numerous Towers.

We're always talking and always watching, but for the time being we would like to handle the "late-game" requests ourselves. Friends are always welcome to join in once a Merc has picked up a request, however!

- Owl

Browni is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Browni's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cheyenne Skyleaf (70), Aedan Duneblood (63), Brand Brand
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Moon
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Epic Win
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Chicken
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

this is more about the game, but I guess this goes for M4H too: (I heard this while looking around on Central)

Is it true you can go into the gauntlet to help people get their level 58 pets as long as you're the same school? if this is possible, do you guys help with this?
      ~rip,lsr!~ (let'sgetcreative!!) i am male

(sort of active.)▲▼▲▼[signature by me.]

Blue Panda is offline Legendary Wizard

• Blue Panda's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Elizabeth Shadowheart (/127 Balance, 123 Storm/Life, 116 Fire, 101 Death)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Boomer
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Freezing Rain Core

Mood:
      Procrastinating

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by browni123456 View Post
      this is more about the game, but I guess this goes for M4H too: (I heard this while looking around on Central)

Is it true you can go into the gauntlet to help people get their level 58 pets as long as you're the same school? if this is possible, do you guys help with this?
      I can actually answer with my own experience.

No. I went in on the same sigil as someone else, and unless I had lag, one of us got in and I was stuck outside.
      130 Ice | 127 Storm | 124 Fire | 119 Death | 84 Balance | 15 Life
      130 Balance | 128 Life | 84 Myth | 5 Ice | 1 Death | 15 Storm

compguru1 is offline Magus Wizard

• compguru1's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Joshua Wyrmwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  king pepper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  ninja death pig
      ----

Mood:
      Energetic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by browni123456 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aria Amethyst View Post
      I can actually answer with my own experience.

No. I went in on the same sigil as someone else, and unless I had lag, one of us got in and I was stuck outside.
      Please in the future let us answer questions. That being said your right there is no way to help even if same school and sigils available. We mercs have tested extensively to find that the level 58, the new level 55 spell and 58 pet quests are all solo.

~MythMaster~ is offline Master Wizard

• ~MythMaster~'s Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James Goldenspear, Spiritsong, Nightwraith, Seabreeze, Sunsword. Destiny (girl:P)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lucy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ice Hound

Mood:
      Mellow

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

You still allow people that are not mercenaries to help with places under DS, right?
      I can't believe half the stuff I used to post around here. 3-years-later me is apologizing.

compguru1 is offline Magus Wizard

• compguru1's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Joshua Wyrmwraith
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  king pepper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  ninja death pig
      ----

Mood:
      Energetic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Myth Wizard View Post
      You still allow people that are not mercenaries to help with places under DS, right?
      yes except in cases of brisk breeze, warehouse, waterworks, Jotun, the four ravens(a.k.a. coven), and wintertusk.

Songibal is offline Transcendent Wizard

Mood:
      Musical

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Question Re: FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

I'm not sure if this is the same as what Mr.Myth Wizard asked, but can people who are not mercenaries in M4H help people too? I'm just wondering
      Alia GoldLeaf 125 death | Haley SeaBreeze 125 balance | Haley Ward 80 life | Taryn 66 ice | Haley Sky 65 storm | Haley Song 10 fire

Katherine_Light is offline Legendary Wizard

• Katherine_Light's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Katherine Light
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Pepper
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Tricky Dragon

Mood:
      Sunshine

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Iceheart IV View Post
      I'm not sure if this is the same as what Mr.Myth Wizard asked, but can people who are not mercenaries in M4H help people too? I'm just wondering
      Hi Laura,

F2M4H are free to take requests on the Wizard City, Krok, Marleybone, and MooShu thread. For requests in DS or higher, cheat dungeon, or GH at Jotun and beyond, they are welcome to join in a run that a merc has already set up, but the merc will be the one leading the run. Hope the clears it up for you!

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast