Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Death Free to Play leveling guide

This is another guide by me on free to play leveling; this time specifically for Death wizards. Death wizards are the greatest class to level free to play for several reasons. First of all, the use of Pacify really increases their experience, and the fact that they gain some high ranking spells like Vampire and Pirate early on help a lot too. If you’re just starting out or want to try free to play leveling, I’d say Death is the way to go. If you’re experience and just want an easy ride, Death is for you. (Note, by easy ride I in no way mean that leveling free to play as a Death wizard is easy, it is simply easier then leveling any other class free to play.) Now, I have a good amount of experience playing a Death free to play wizard, and I am currently working on leveling one to Legendary by the end of summer. Next, there are a couple things I want to get straightened out before I start. First of all please don’t post tips / comments that require a wizard to be a paying player to utilize. This is for free to play wizards, and for it to be useful only tips that they can utilize should be posted. Second, I’m assuming that all players are level 10 and have completed the quest series given by Boris Tallstaff in the Wizard City Library. Let’s get started.

This guide is divided into four sections, each one dedicated to a different aspect of playing a Death free to play wizard.

1) Leveling
      2) Secondary Schools
      3) Equipment
      4) Deck Construction

Section 1: Leveling

The first thing you should learn about leveling is how the experience system works as it will really help you later on with deck construction and whatnot.

Here’s how it works. You get 3 exp per pip you use. Here’s a little ‘chart’ below to help you out a bit.

3 exp for every zero rank spell you use. (EX: Death Trap=3 exp)
      3 exp for every rank 1 spell you use. (EX: Dark Fairy=3 exp)
      6 exp for every rank 2 spell you use. (EX: Ghoul=6 exp)

X rank spells like Pacify give experience equal to the number of pips used to cast them. This means that Pacify can give you up to 42 exp every time you cast it if you have full power pips.

Now that you know how the experience system works, let me explain levels 10-15 to you. First off, you’re going to want to fight Field Guards. The reason for this is that they have a decent amount of health, but aren’t too hard so you can survive and kill them while still getting decent experience. However, it’s not that simple, there is strategy involved in killing the Field Guard. For example, you’ll have your wand attacks. Use all of those up first before attacking with anything else, and make sure to use them with no blades on you or traps on the enemy that will activate your wand. I suggest you make sure that this is the case by carrying any wand that isn’t if you main school, Death. My Death wizard carries the Wand of Effervescence which is the very low level Life wand that does only 45 damage per spell. Now, although you want to use up your wand attacks, that doesn’t mean you should pass / discard if you don’t have any in hand right away. Simply shield, blade and heal until you do, but make sure to use your heals sparingly and only when you need them. At your level you won’t have any good defense against their Storm attacks unless you’ve trained Ice. Now, by the time your wand spells are used up you’ve probably also used some shields, blades, traps, and maybe even a heal or two. Now all that’s left to do is use up all your none attack spells such as your shields, blades, traps and heals. After all of those are gone finish up the Field Guard with a Banshee so that you can get the maximum amount of experience possible per fight. This should take around 10 minutes per fight and you can get around 72 exp per fight this way, which is pretty decent experience at 432 exp per hour. This style of fighting should serve you well until level 15, then, things change a bit.

Screenshots
      The deck I use

The experience I get

I could have received 6 more experience, but I had to kill. The maximum amount of experience I can get with this deck against Field Guards is 87exp. I didn't use the Ghouls or one of the Banshee's. So as you can see, experience is still decent at lower levels. (This wizard is level 10 by the way. I started him today.)

At level 15 the first thing you want to do is go and learn Pacify. This can be trained, for free, from Mortis the Death tree in Nightside. Although this is an area for paying players, you can get there if a paying player goes inside and lets you teleport to them. It shouldn’t be that hard to find someone, and if you want feel free to PM / VM asking for the teleport and I’ll get you there ASAP. Now, Pacify is a very important card and it will become the center of your fights from now onwards. The thing about Pacify that makes it so amazing is that it is an X rank spell. This means that with full power pips you can get 42 exp just off of using the card one time. That means a minimum of 126 exp per fight if you use Pacify three times at max pips. Of course, it isn’t realistic to expect to be able to do this every fight but it will definitely increase your experience. The second thing you want to do is to head on over to the Bazaar. Go to the amulets section and search for the amulet called Son of Storms’ Sigil. There are almost always 100 there and it sells for 1360 gold. This amulet gives the card Power Play which increases your Power Pip chance by 45%. Now, this card will be very important to you; why? Because it means more power pips which equals more experience. You’ll want to get this card up and out as fast as possible at the beginning of every fight so that you can start getting power pips and being able to get more experience from Pacify. The general way you’re going to want to run battles from here on out is to just shield, blade, trap, heal and just protect yourself in general. Then, every time you hit max pips, use Pacify. Sometimes this might mean max pips with full power pips. Sometimes with no power pips and sometimes with only a few, half or almost full power pips. After you’ve exhausted your use of Pacify, simply kill the Field Guard with a Banshee to get maximum experience. This style of fighting can take up to 20 minutes per battle, but it’s worth it. Assuming you get only white pips and use Pacify three times that’s a minimum of 63 exp right there, plus 12 more experience from Power Play. Now, add in that 72 exp you will get from using other cards in between Pacify and you have a whopping 147 exp per fight. Now, the thing to remember is that you will almost always get more then that. Assuming that you get 7 power pips total with your Pacify use, that’s another 21 exp added to your fight, making it 178 exp per fight which is a low estimate. Most likely you’ll end up with close to 200 exp per fight if you get Power Play out fast enough as your pip chance will be roughly 58%. Now, from here on out this is basically how you’ll fight. The only thing that will change is how you kill enemies and what enemies you fight. At level 16, with the addition of Vampire to your deck, you’re going to be fighting someone new: Sergeant Skullsplitter. The reason for this is simple; he is Death and resists Death attacks by 50%. This means that you can use multiple high rank attacks per fight without killing him, plus he has a minion you can kill to get more experience. Another thing about Skullsplitter that’s important is this; he uses Ghoul. Now, granted you will want to keep up Death Shields, but you will eventually run out, and when you do his Ghoul attacks will go through. This is good because he will actually heal himself, enabling you to attack him even more. When fighting Skullsplitter, if you wish to, you may want to consider keeping some Spirit Armor treasure cards in your side board. This is important because it will block all of his attacks except Ghoul. The Ghoul will go through since it is a convert spell and it will end up healing him. I have never done this but I did do it on my Ice wizard when I was leveling him on Skullsplitter and the tactic worked great. Now, when fighting Skullsplitter there are a couple things that are important. One, don’t use a blade or a trap on the minion, take that thing out with Vampire fast to reduce the amount of damage you take, but don’t waste a blade or trap on it. The reason for this is that you will need them to boost your attacks so that you can kill Skullsplitter quickly if you need to. Another important thing about blades and traps is to always save one blade and one trap to use right before you deliver the killing blow on Skullsplitter. You’ll want them there, as I’ve mentioned, just in case. To make sure you can always kill Skullsplitter carry a couple off-school attacks in your deck. Simply replace Banshee with whatever rank 3 spell you’ve learned or Leprechaun if you trained Life. Lastly, this fight should take about 25 minutes or so, and you can get easily over 200 exp per fight this way, especially with the multiple uses of Vampire.

Well, that’s it for basic leveling, here are just a few more tips to help out.

*Always kill the enemy with the highest ranked card you have. So when you earn Skeletal Pirate, put it to good use and use it for a killing blow to all enemies.

*The goal of leveling free to play is to do as little damage as possible except when you go in for the killing blow. This is to extend the length of the battle and earn you experience.

*Always choose living over the chance that an enemy might fizzle or pass just so you can get more experience. It is of no benefit to yourself if you end up dying because you thought you could squeeze in another 20 exp without dying. Is it really worth throwing away 100+ exp just for an extra 20?

Section 2: Secondary Schools

Fire
      This school is a complete waste of training points. Fire does absolutely nothing to help you aside from their shields, but it’s not worth it just to get those. The attacks deal too much damage for too little pips and will end up killing the enemy fast, which is not the goal in free to play leveling.

Storm
      Much the same as Fire in terms of usefulness. I highly recommend that you don’t spend a single training point in this school.

Ice
      Ice is what I trained on my Death wizard. I find it useful as it provides good shielding to help me stay alive, as well as offering an off-school that does comparatively weak attacks so that I might be able to squeeze in two rank three spells in a fight instead of one.

Balance
      This is a decent school actually. It gives you Weakness which can be useful as well as Power Play at level 22, which enables you to get a new amulet for your wizard. Something else worth noting is that Sandstorm costs four pips. This can be useful against Skullsplitter after you’ve killed his minion as it deals comparatively weak damage but at 12 exp per cast. Although not the best, it is worth considering and it is not worth deleting your Death wizard if you trained Balance.

Myth
      Myth, in my opinion, is not useful at all. The attacks are pretty powerful and you don’t get anything worth spending training points on out of this school.

Life
      This is up there with Ice and Balance. In my opinion this might even be better then Ice and here’s why. The goal of free to play leveling is to prolong battles, and Life will really help you do that. The heals you can get like Sprite and Satyr will keep you alive longer while giving you experience and without hurting the enemy. Also, Spirit Armor will be invaluable for any Death wizard when they start to fight Skullsplitter. This is definitely what I’m training on my Death wizard after Tower Shield, and its well worth it in my opinion.

That’s what I have to say about secondary schools. Moving on.

Section 3: Equipment

There’s really not much to talk about here, just a few tips really. First of all, I don’t recommend buying gear at level 10. That strikes me as a waste of gold because you can easily level once a day until level 15, and can probably hit level 15 in 6 days if you work hard. I’d say wait until level 15 until buying gear, but if you decide to buy level 10 gear ahead of time, go for the health. Also, if you happen to be good at leveling you should wait until level 20 to buy gear. I hit 1-20 in 13 days as a F2P so it’s not that long of a wait. The gear at 20 is darn expensive if your free to play, so if you buy gear at 15, start saving.

In general when picking out gear, go for gear that gives health, and at level 20 go for the gear that gives Death resistance with its stats and not Death attack boost so that you can keep yourself alive longer against Skullsplitter.

*There are two ‘sets’ of level 20 Death gear. One ‘set’ gives Death resistance along with the health and power pip bonuses, the other gives Death attack.

Section 4: Deck Construction

For your deck since I don’t know what secondary school you have, I can only give you some pointers for deck building. First of all keep in mind that your deck should be defensive and not offensive. Don’t pack a lot of attacks, instead pack Pacify, shields, heals, blades and traps. However, do make sure you have enough attacks to kill your enemies, and when fighting Skullsplitter keep some off school attacks in your deck as well.

That’s all I have for now. If you have questions / comments feel free to PM / VM me or leave your question / comment below; and of course, if you ever need help, PM / VM me and I’ll help you out as soon as I can.

Hope this guide helps
      -Peace, Brain.
      Last edited by Brian Icefist; 5-22-11 at 9:21:44 PM.
      Signature and avatar by Penguin77. His shop is here.
      Formerly known as Zingbot.

Valdus. is offline Master Wizard

• Valdus.'s Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Valdus Rose (Retired)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice

Mood:
      Cheerful

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Death Free to Play leveling guide

Nice guide, it is really useful for people who are starting.

wizardsarecool101 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• wizardsarecool101's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Juan Windthief
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Madame Maximus
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Midnight Sprite, Death School
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

One thing for gold earning you can get alot of gold from Kifreegames.com which is easier than battling for gold and drops and you can get mounts from the site too.
      Signature by Me- Spell brush guide

Brian Icefist is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Brian Icefist's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian IceFist
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  White Winter Owl
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>wizardsarecool101 View Post
      One thing for gold earning you can get alot of gold from Kifreegames.com which is easier than battling for gold and drops and you can get mounts from the site too.
      I disagree on the gold. As a Death wizard you can easily kill the Harvest Lord in under five minutes. His drops sell over one hundred per piece. You can probably kill him twice in five minutes if your fast and don't fizzle. However, at least 10 minutes of play time is required on kifreegames.com (if I remember correctly) and you only get 400 some gold. Also, you get experience while fighting the Harvest Lord.

Aside from the Harvest Lord there is the Kraken as well. It might take a few minutes, but lately I've been able to find a realm with only 5-6 people there. I got in almost every single fight, and the drops there are good. Not to mention the fact that since there are four wizards he normally goes down in 2-3 rounds.

ssarjogn is offline Initiate Wizard

• ssarjogn's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Gilroy OgreBreath
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
      ----

Mood:
      Lagging

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Another one of your "unexplainably awesome" guides I see eh Zingbot? I haven't even tried the Ice Guide and now this!?!? You're overloading free-to-play wizards with good and fact-filled info, and even proof to back it up! Keep up the good work!

Aeropostale14 is offline Apprentice Wizard

• Aeropostale14's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tiffany MistBreaker
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wintertusk
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Jessie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Wraith
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Nice quide! Thanks

Jonathan Summercloud is offline Initiate Wizard

• Jonathan Summercloud's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Jonathan Summercloud
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cookie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea-Dragon

Mood:
      Pensive

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

This guide is truly one of the most amazing guides that I have ever read, and I read the whole thing! Thank you SO much for this contribution! I can't wait to start this on my level 12 death wizard tomorrow. I had no idea about most of these tactics until now. I am also really glad that I trained life along with my death wizard!! xD
      http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17847&pictureid=206916
      My Profile | Message Me | CLOSED Tier 6+7 Code Shop | How to Apply Codes

TristanSliverBlade is offline Novice Wizard

• TristanSliverBlade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  TristanSliverBlade
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Fluffy
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar bear cub
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

well i'm a free player as well....never used crowns....right now i'm level 25, death and life....it works out perfectly fine....i dnt like ice to be my secondary to be honest...it gives a tower shield but attack spells r the same as life...for example seraph and the wyvern does the same damage but never mind that, spirit armor is very useful as well even though i dont use it, nt unless im doing pvp. i used to do xp trick, u mentioned it at the top, pacify spell, i do that trick not on the scarecrows but on the lost souls, coz they use low damage spells on me, so you can use about 2 or maybe 3 pacify(use sprite in between each pacify to keep you alive little by little).
      MY GEAR- i'm into power pips %, not health, death attack or def. but once you get to level 20 or 25, you will get cool gears that give health, death attack and def, plus the power pip % so that should be fine and mana is important when im doing xp trick...it's a waste of mana but i like it, i stopped doing it now, i do solo on the harvest lord, good drops. it's easier when you got high power pip chance coz thn you cn use more pips for pacify and one thing, my pet givs tower shield so i'm happy wiv it im tristan sliverblade, lvl 25 and death, so if u wanna meet up wiv me thn ok, jus pm me.
      i'm TristanSliverBlade, Death wizard and proud!!!

Brian Icefist is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• Brian Icefist's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Brian IceFist
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Hunter
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  White Winter Owl
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>TristanSliverBlade View Post
      well i'm a free player as well....never used crowns....right now i'm level 25, Nice dude. Getting to level 25 is quite an accomplishment. death and life....it works out perfectly fine....i dnt like ice to be my secondary to be honest...it gives a tower shield but attack spells r the same as life One of the reasons I chose Ice is because of Tower Shield and Volcanic Shield. Both of those are great for keeping you alive while at the same time giving you experience. Sprite is okay but it uses up a pip that could go towards Pacify, same for Spirit Armor. ...for example seraph and the wyvern does the same damage but never mind that, spirit armor is very useful as well even though i dont use it, nt unless im doing pvp. How come you don't use it? It's very useful in PvE as well. i used to do xp trick, u mentioned it at the top, pacify spell, i do that trick not on the scarecrows but on the lost souls, coz they use low damage spells on me, so you can use about 2 or maybe 3 pacify(use sprite in between each pacify to keep you alive little by little). I can throw down at least 2 (if not 3) Pacify spells at max pips against Field Guards once I reach level 16. The reason I chose them is because they have a good amount of health so I can hit them with all my wand attacks plus a good damage spell, therefore giving me more experience.
      MY GEAR- i'm into power pips %, not health, death attack or def. but once you get to level 20 or 25, you will get cool gears that give health, death attack and def, plus the power pip % so that should be fine and mana is important when im doing xp trick...it's a waste of mana How on earth is it a waste of mana? Mana is not particularly hard to find and the experience reward from that spell is terrific. but i like it, i stopped doing it now, i do solo on the harvest lord, good drops. it's easier when you got high power pip chance coz thn you cn use more pips for pacify and one thing, my pet givs tower shield so i'm happy wiv it im tristan sliverblade, lvl 25 and death, so if u wanna meet up wiv me thn ok, jus pm me. I sent you a PM with a TFC.
      Comments in bold.

Max. is offline Magus Wizard

• Max.'s Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Christopher FireHammer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wintertusk
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Mister Gummy, Queen Spencer, King Shadow, Hunter, Max and Lord Bosco
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ice Collosus, Sandman, Spider Golem, Deadly NightWalker, Pet Egg and Ice Hound
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

another great guide zingbot, to bad your guides always die down because almost no one is a F2P anymore (that isnt rude and cares about leveling) but what would you say about the halloween towers? since there are good monsters to grind there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast