Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Wizard 101 - Deck Construction Basics

[Intro]

This guide is intended to help people build great decks. In my travels throughout the spiral, I have noticed something. Many people don't understand the basics of building a good deck. I hear a lot of "Hold on, I have to discard until I get the card I need." I see a lot of players using spells that are less than optimal. This isn't to say that my way is the only way to build a deck, or that I am the end-all of deck construction knowledge. However, if you are reading this guide, then you are interested in turning your deck from an average deck into a great deck.

It starts with the little things, and you can definitely build upon what I discuss here. You can make changes to suit your playstyle. Remember, these are just guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Small changes can make a huge difference in a deck's ability to do what you need it to do when you need to do it. Remember this, deck construction is 1 part math, 1 part science, 1 part game mechanics, and 3 parts art. Just knowing the math or science behind a deck is not enough. Neither is knowing how the game's mechanics work as if you had written them yourself. It is the combination of math, science, mechanics and creativity that drive a good deck into the realms of a great deck.

That being said, let's continue our journey into the basics of deck construction.

[Finding Your Groove]

Before you can make an amazing deck, you need to decide what you want your deck to do. Do you want to just lay down as much damage as possible, hoping to kill your opponent before he or she kills you? Do you like to finesse your way into or out of any situation? Are you making your deck for group play where you are expected to perform a specific role? Is your deck going to be a "gimmick" deck, one that has a concept that may or not be mainstream?

Once you have answered this most important of questions, you can start getting into the nitty gritty of designing and implementing your deck. I keep a number of decks in my inventory. Some are for general purpose leveling. Some are for group play. Others have specific uses such as single-target boss fights, group AoE, or healing. Switching decks in between fights makes going from one concept to another easy, so long as you remember what your decks do. I like to keep a notepad next to my desk which contains this information. One look, and I know what deck I am using.

[Size Matters]

There are many debates going on about the size of your deck. There are good arguments on both sides of the fence as well. One thing I would like to point out here is that the smaller your deck, the more often you are going to get the cards you need in dire circumstances. My current general purpose deck has 9 spells, 5 wand spells, and 4 cards in the sideboard. My initial hand is always half my deck, and I nearly always have at least two of the three cards I need for my to kill an opponent in Dragonspyre in one hit.

This is not to say that having a very small deck is going to be an instant win-button for you. Sometimes a larger deck is more beneficial. This is especially true in group play, where you have a little bit of a buffer in what you can cast, or PvP where you need to make sure that you can cast your spells against fizzles and dispels.

When you are building your deck, you want to eliminate the cards that don't get used often. If you have a shield that you only use against one specific type of enemy, then you should not have that in your deck unless you are fighting that enemy. If you find that you are killing faster than you can heal, then you can get rid of the healing spells, or at least lower the number of them in your deck. On the other hand, if you find that you use specific cards more regularly, go ahead and add more of them to your deck.

[Shuffleupagus]

Reshuffle. If you haven't gotten this spell yet, move over to Colossus Blvd and buy it from Mildred. You need to be level 20 to purchase the spell, but it is worth it. If you don't have enough training points, or a high enough level, you can buy the treasure card version from the librarian in Wizard City. In fact, you may want to do just that at first, until you see whether or not you think it is worth getting.

One thing about Reshuffle is that it allows you to get back the spells you have already played in a duel. This means that you can lower the size of your deck if you have one of these handy. Instead of keeping four of each card, you may be able to go down to two of each. If you happen to be a Balance wizard, you can sometimes even drop to one of each card depending on the situation.

Reshuffle is a very important card, no matter how you come about using it.

[Out With the Old]

Spells have this problem where they become obsolete. Never hesitate to pull out a card that no longer serves its purpose. For example, Balance has three low-level attack cards: Scarab, Scorpion, and Locust Swarm. These cards are great prior to getting Judgement. After that, however, they are obsolete. Sure, they can do a little bit more damage than Judgement can, but they can also do a lot less damage. For instance, Locust Swarm does 245-305 damage. The same three pips on Judgement do a straight 300 damage. This means that 8% of the time, Locust Swarm is going to do more damage than Judgement, 1% of the time it will do the same damage, and 91% of the time it will do less damage. Just based on this alone, taking out Locust Swarm is a good idea in favor of Judgement.

There are similar spells in all schools, most notably the first spell you get. Sure, it's only one pip, but with the power pip chance a person can get to (I currently run 76% power pip chance), there should not really be a shortage of pips available for use.

Pulling these types of spells from your deck is a good idea. Sometimes it will lead to interesting combinations that can be exploited for serious competitive advantage. (Not exploited as in cheating in the game.)

[Your Honor, a Sidebar Please]

One thing a lot of newer players forget about is their sidebar. Sometimes I see people who overdo their sidebar. The sidebar is an important aspect of your deck. It can make or break your deck. It can turn a great deck into a god-like deck. It can also turn a great deck into a pile of rubble. So be warned, sidebar construction is almost as important as deck building.

I suggest that you find a card you can use regularly. Something that adds value to your deck. Something that you can use to pull out when you need to. I like Pixies myself. I keep 4-6 in my sidebar at all times. I don't put any other spells there. Why would I do that you ask? Well, if I need a card from my sidebar, I am guaranteed to get a Pixie. If I can't get to the heal in my deck, I can always discard and pull a Pixie to save the day. Sure, I could run Fairy, as it is a lot cheaper, but then I can only heal myself. If you run solo a lot, then by all means use Fairy in there instead of Pixie. There are other things you can do, some of them are more advanced than this basic guide will allow for. Experiment with your sidebar and it will really make your decks shine.

[My Muse, Oh How I Love Thee]

Creativity is important in great deck construction. Coming up with new and interesting combinations of spells can lead to more effective decks. This spark is not just something you can learn by reading about it. It is something that only comes with experimentation and knowledge. You really need to understand the core mechanics of how each spell works. Then you can put them together to see if they will become something greater than they are separately. This synergy is what gives great decks their advantage over lesser decks. Just remember, you can always come up with something new. Your catchphrase should become "What if?" when you decide to start working towards something interesting.

[Conclusion]

In conclusion, there are a number of things to remember when building your deck. All of these things are important parts of deck creation. Using them together can help you move from good player to great player. One last tidbit of information I would like to add here is to make sure that you keep your deck simple. The simpler your deck, the more effective it is going to be at doing what you want it to do, namely killing your opponents. Decks that require complex interaction of cards are going to have limited use, especially if an enemy can break your concept with the removal of a buff or the addition of a debuff.
      Last edited by Redsatori; 1-25-11 at 9:35:35 PM.
      ----------------------------------
      Anna SunCatcher
      Sorceror (Lv. 52)

Eric the Thief is offline Magus Wizard

• Eric the Thief's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric WindThief
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Zeus
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Hydra
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Wizard 101 - Deck Construction Basics

Bravo!
      Quite a articulate and thoughtful post.
      I enjoyed reading this even though it was rudimentary. This is going to get stickied somewhere.

Laugh a little -- Read my Balance legend PvP guide.

Cody MythFlame is offline Fizzled

• Cody MythFlame's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cody MythFlame/ ShadowSlinger/ DragonCaster/ DragonRider/ StarRider/ SpiritRider/ SkyRider
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Sun
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Princess Samson/ Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Ice Hound/ Burnzilla
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

nice guide even though it almost make me go to sleep lolz

Faux is offline Magus Wizard

• Faux's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Autumn GoldenEyes
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Bonnie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fierce Hound

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Nice guide , it wasn't specific like; put this card here and put this many cards in this order, it was; you may use this much but if you do this you can also do this. I recommend your guide to any players who don't want any bossy guides.

Starting to play W101|Status: Mentlgen?| Siggy and Avi by Hestia. TY

the ice master is offline Novice Wizard

• the ice master's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Autumn Winterblossom
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Princess Sierra
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Polar Bear

Mood:
      Bored

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

a little boring and vague, but altogether a good guide. until now i thought the beat deck construction was the more spell the better

Scarecrow182000 is offline Adept Wizard

• Scarecrow182000's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Eric Lionheart
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Marley
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Epic Sturdy Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I wasn't bored at all. Makes many good points that seem to be overlooked by a lot of Players. Quite annoying when the random group you are playing with can't seem to find a simple strategy with both hands, sitting right under their nose. Hopefully a few people will read it and make them think about their play style and how to improve it.
      Check out my guides on: Gamesmanship & Deck Types
      My Short Story The Final Days of Dragonspyre
      Good grammar adds credence to your argument.

PauloGiovanni is offline Novice Wizard

• PauloGiovanni's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Paul NightWhisper
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Krokotopia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Thumbs up Re: Wizard 101 - Deck Construction Basics

Thank you for the great guide! It was quite a read and it offered in depth information towards the mechanisms of the deck construction process. I will be sure to use this information and apply it to my own deck.

DragonbloodReed is offline Apprentice Wizard

• DragonbloodReed's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Reed Dragonblood
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Smokey
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fierce Hound
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

if your a pyromancer i got a few things to say that might be of use. First to train.

[TRAINING]

there are meny ways to train with training points. I however recommend weakening the oponents attacks. If your a fire wizard maybe learn storm to the shield to get an ice shield to cast with your volcanic shield. Weakness comes in handy a lot aswell so if you got training points, go learn it, if not its all good just go buy some at bazaar or the library or something. OK the next way you could train yourself is all out power. So go to the tree in krokatopia at krokosphinx. Learn elemental blade and elemental trap. Those will both boost by 25% each plus the 25 from your fire blade and also if you have it 25% for fire trap. Thats a pretty good fire combo with efreet. If your doing a 2v2, id recommend buying a sepret deck so you dont have to ruin your awesome 1v1 deck. Id stock up on fire dragons rather than efreets because you can kill both then. Plus for both decks the best thing you can have is amplify or vengeance. for the 2v2 deck, if you choosing your partner id recommend an ice wizard for defence, balance for power, or life to keep you both alive. Another useful thing to learn is heals. Most recommend satyr but i really wouldnt because of the pips it takes. Try sprite and pixie and see where it takes you. After that take some low rank spells like fire elf or link. Then get fire shields in your deck because even if your not vsing a fire your going to want them for a higher rank spell called immolate. Try using immolate and see where it gets you because for only 250 damage, you deal 600 alone. so if you power it you can take 1000 to deal 2000 and if thats critical you take 2000 and deal 4000 and kill them. Also have some helephants in your deck, a lotta blades but basically i recommend just having fun making your deck and balance it out. And now that your done training its time for equipment.

[Equipment]

OK after making your deck your gonna wanna get properly clothed for battle. IMPORTANT! LOOKS ARE NOT IMPORTANT DURRING PVP. Personally i love critical rate and critical block so i worked with that. Others may like health, or accuracy or damage or whatever. So find what works for you. the athame is all you too but i love healing inpact %+ so when i use simple heals i get more for less. Necklaces, id use something to have a boosted blade or bubble or a weakness necklace from lord nightshade. Wands are all your thing too but i use a fire wand called the blistering baton. i love it so much because it gives me a 120 damage and 1% pip and also 30% critical rate which comes in handy. The fire wand i use helps a lot to kill fire shields. Pets are a wonderful thing after they added the pet park. Spritely comes in so much handy because not only does it make people mad when it happens but it will waste infections and heal you randomly. Giftcard pets if you can aquire them comes in handy because most give dragonblade (30% next attack). but i dont recommend a cool pet that doesnt give you anything, try training a pet for spritely or something useful. Then test him out. After gettin outta the dressing room time to go to the library to study skills on what to do

[How to fight in pvp]

Alright welcome to the library, i here your looking up how to study the arts of fighting. Follow me. Heres a book. (you start reading) first step, shield up! shields are wonderful because they reduce damage taken WHILE ALSO gaining pips! if their are no shields on your oponent if you must call him a {favorite insult here} for not shielding then blast him. if you got no shields use a trap or blade. If they notice you are blading for fire and uses a fire shield or a duel-shield with fire or a tower shield use your wand to waste it even if it uses the blade, its better to kill the shield then add a little bit of raw power. Efreet is always a fun way to kill people i mean who doesnt love a lamp and a gene. But efreet isnt always the best bet, i mean if you got the pips to waste, or kill your oponent in one hit i personally wouldnt, try using immolate because if you got good pip chance you can use it on the second turn! so first turn fire shield, then immolate. Helephant is your second best bet because its 6 pips (3 power pips) and a nice 680 damage. dont try slowly chipping away at pvp, pvp is brutality and showing no mercy. a good tip is to turn on block pvp enemy chat because then people cant see what your saying and in case you didnt know in the text bar (default at the bottom in the middle) if you click on the name you can see their stats and school and equipment which is horrible because they can tell what your going to launch at them. just remember one thing durring pvp, safety first with shields then comes power then comes blades.
      I HOPE THIS HELPS A BUNCH :D ITS MY FIRST FIRE GUIDE AND I WORKED HARD ON IT!!!! leave a comment thanks for reading!!!
      Avi by me-- my shop!!! awesome sig by Lord!

tjlyons26 is offline Apprentice Wizard

• tjlyons26's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Sydney
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Empyrea
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Miss Libby
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Fairy
      ----

Mood:
      Amused

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Really good guide. Some of the points I knew and do but not all of them. Good job!

Alex Fireblade is offline Apprentice Wizard

• Alex Fireblade's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Alex Fireflame
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  MarleyBone
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Jake
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Flamezilla
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

This is a sweet guide i used to put 25% healing spells 15% X-pip spell 25% 4-pip spells 25% 3-pip spells 10% damage over time spells a flamezilla with Firezilla a wand with 0-pip spells

P.S. I am a level 28 Fire/Life wizard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast