----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Linux Support

My son has begun to play this game on a borrowed computer. I am running the latest Ubuntu 9.04 with GNOME on my laptop and home systems. He tried to install and it wants to download a Windows binary.

First, is this safe?

Second, I see that the game only currently supports Windows. Is there plans for a Linux version? I see it uses a .wad file. Is that similar to Doom?

I searched on linux as a keyword and couldn't find anything.

Lucidity is offline Master Wizard

• Lucidity's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  N/A
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Wraith
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: Linux Support

Being a fan of Linux myself, I agree it would be nice. Realistically, I would not hold my breath, considering Wizard101's target audience, very few of the younger crowd utilize Linux based operating systems.
      Grandmasters: Fire-Ice-Life-Death-Storm-Balance-Myth
      .: Signature and Avatar By Lucidity :.

Darby Drake is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Darby Drake's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  The Drake Sisters (Darby, Victoria & Sabrina), Rebecca Redthorn, Calamity & John Legend, Emma Moon
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Jade Oni
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Oy. I too once wandered in the Linux wilderness. A guy I once knew was "totally" into Linux (Ubuntu in particular), so of course this meant that I had to come along for the ride ...

But regarding the question at hand: there is a video on YouTube of someone playing Wizard 101 in Ubuntu through WINE, so I guess it means that it can be done! WINE is the application that allows Linux users to use some Windows based programs, when no Linux version is available.

If you have Ubuntu, then there should be a free version of WINE already installed somewhere on your computer. Instructions on how to use it are available online; but it being Linux, this doesn't mean they'll be very understandable or even helpful. Some company also has a commercial version of the software that you can get. Look it up if you're interested -- and good luck ...

Don't get me wrong, though. Linux is nice (and it's free); but getting it to do something for you that it isn't already set up to do can be a brain-splittingly aggravating experience.

Lucidity is offline Master Wizard

• Lucidity's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  N/A
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Midnight
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Wraith
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Yea I've managed to use WINE and other Windows Application Adaptor programs. vs = Headaches as Darby stated. Hopefully someone on Central has done this with Wizard101 and would be willing to post a How to Guide.
      Grandmasters: Fire-Ice-Life-Death-Storm-Balance-Myth
      .: Signature and Avatar By Lucidity :.

devin101 is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

I'm new to Linux (Ubuntu - less than 24hrs). I was able to install and log in to the game using Wine. However, the color were too dark and almost everything was black. The in-game menus showed up fine but the game was just too dark to even consider playing realistically. I looked up how to change the monitor/video card to 256 color mode (which I think would solve the problem) but it just made my head hurt. Hopefully someone who knows more about changing the video settings can help more.

Darby Drake is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Darby Drake's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  The Drake Sisters (Darby, Victoria & Sabrina), Rebecca Redthorn, Calamity & John Legend, Emma Moon
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Cosmo
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Jade Oni
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by devin101 View Post
      I'm new to Linux (Ubuntu - less than 24hrs). I was able to install and log in to the game using Wine. However, the color were too dark and almost everything was black. The in-game menus showed up fine but the game was just too dark to even consider playing realistically. I looked up how to change the monitor/video card to 256 color mode (which I think would solve the problem) but it just made my head hurt. Hopefully someone who knows more about changing the video settings can help more.
      I assume you tried the "brightness" setting on the in-game graphics menu? I actually have to have mine set up pretty high in order for it to look decent on my Windows machine.

And I'm sure there are better and simpler answers for you than attempting to switch to playing the game in 256-colour mode. Not to mention the fact that I'm gonna guess that the game will look ugly as sin played that way.

panterra is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by devin101 View Post

I have the same darkness thing going on -- the screen is black except for a couple of sparkly things, though the menus are fine. It's definitely not a brightness issue, as mine is all the way up. To compound my problems, the game is running with a really long lag. This probably has something to do with the fact that I am running a virtual machine (on my Mac) which is running Ubuntu Linux which is running Wine which is running Wizard 101 … so yeah. Doesn't really work, even though I turned the video memory up as high as it will go. Maybe next I'll try increasing the memory allotted to the virtual machine. But really, I have no idea what I'm doing … so if anyone who does know something reads this, I would be very grateful for your advice …

UPDATE: I got the lag reduced down to an annoying but not fatal level by increasing the RAM allotted to the virtual machine. Now if I could only figure out what to do about the image! I can see the globes and XP bar just fine, but the only things I see (other than blackness) in the game are chat bubbles, mana wisps, and the flames of the torches in my room. Frustratingly close to playable. But running around blind won't work.
      Last edited by panterra; 8-4-09 at 12:48 AM.

EnlightenedShadow is offline Wiki Master

• EnlightenedShadow's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Michael Stormtamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Marley
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Brown Spider
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Linux Support

Unfortunately, like almost everything with WINE. It just isn't going to run right. The creators of WINE would have to actually care about Wizard 101 enough to give it the support needed to run. I really do wish that the Wizard 101 team would consider adapting the game to at least Debian based distros.

I think that the vast majority of people who play Wizard 101 and also run a Linux distro is probably using Ubuntu. Ubuntu along with several other distros is Debian based. I know that it difficult to port a game but it would be so helpful to some of us. I would love to never see Windows again, but because of Wizard 101 I still have to use a Windows partition on my hard drive.

Anyway if anyone is going to listen, us Linux users are going to have to speak up. We should make a petition, a forum, or something so that the development team could see just how many of us there is out there.

Just a thought...

panterra is offline Novice Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Well, in the meantime, I have found a pretty good solution for Mac (I think they may have versions for other OSes as well). It's a program called CrossOver Games which costs $40, which I think is very reasonable. It also comes with a 7-day free trial, so you can check it out to see how it works.

Granted, it's not perfect, but none of the issues prevent you from playing. Here's what I've observed:

- Sometimes (but not always) the little square spell icons in your deck, in the library, in the trade window, etc. are blacked out (but you can still see what they are by moving the mouse pointer over them, because the pop-up of the spell card still works).

- The message saying to "Press X to talk" is illegible. This is totally not a problem though, as long as you know that you're supposed to press X.

- Sometimes (but not always) the game crashes when you try to use a spiral door or craft an item.

- The game crashes if you try to rename your pet. This one seems consistent. Fortunately, however, renaming pets isn't an essential function, so I just wait to do it until I can use someone's PC.

- Some information in the new crowns shop doesn't display properly. I don't buy a lot of crowns stuff, so I can't really say how big of a problem this is.

All things considered, these aren't very serious drawbacks, IMO. The actual running of quests, duels, and other gameplay functions work just as they do on a PC.

Hope this is helpful to some Mac people out there! Like I said, there's a free trial, so you can try it out first if you need convincing that it actually does work quite well.

EnlightenedShadow is offline Wiki Master

• EnlightenedShadow's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Michael Stormtamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lord Marley
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Brown Spider
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by panterra View Post
      Well, in the meantime, I have found a pretty good solution for Mac (I think they may have versions for other OSes as well). It's a program called CrossOver Games which costs $40, which I think is very reasonable. It also comes with a 7-day free trial, so you can check it out to see how it works.
      I have tried CrossOver as well. Although I haven't used it for Wizard 101 I have tried using it for other games. I just don't like having anything look different than intended. I do realize that it is still playable but as a future game designer things like this still bother me.

Sigh, I guess I'm still stuck with a Winblows partition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast