beachgirl is offline Magus Wizard

• beachgirl's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tamsin
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Soooooooo many pets..... Pet type: Fail Pet?

Mood:
      Inspired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

How to beat a Legendary Ice

** Mods please move if posted in wrong category**

I have seen many threads about ice being too powerful because of their gear. I do not agree with this. I think people just need to learn new strategies. So, I will share some advice on how to beat a legendary ice with full gear.

Let us assume that the ice wizard is also using the crafted athame and ring which boost heal upto 80++ %. Another assumption is that you are going second, killing from first is easy so if you can kill from second, you should not have any problems killing from first.

In order to beat a good ice, you need to know how they play. Most of them use a combo attack.

1. Some ice like blading up before hitting. Some of them even use triple blades and gargantuan attack. This will hit you hard. The only good thing about this is that it is very predictable as they will not be attacking you until they are fully armed. But remember, once they start attacking, it will be a combination of attacks.

2. The best ice, imo, are those that are unpredictable. Sometimes they blade, sometimes they dont. They are sneaky in their attack. Their deck has a great variety of ice spell (blizzards, ice elf, frostbite, angel, freeze, giant, colossus) and they use them all.

3. There are ice who only use stun for a kill. This is one of the most dangerous ice. As they will not use any stun (freeze or giant) early in the game but when they do, it usually ends up with you being dead.

Now what strategies can you do to kill an ice.

1. Use your minion.

If the ice likes to blade up before attacking, make him waste his blades and pips. You can do this by bringing out your minions. If you are second, a good ice will kill your minion asap. Since you already know that your minion will not survive long enough to cast a spell, you might want to shield yourself before summoning a minion. Why? Because a gargantuan or bladed blizzard not only kills your minion but will hit you a good amount of damage. Once you summon your minion, obviously you try to shield him and hope he lives to cast a spell.

Know that if you were lucky to shield your minion, ice is most likely going to use snow angel or two blizzards.

2. Spam weakness. Weakness whenever you can.

For fire, spamming weakness is easier because of efreet. Depending on your situation, you may even want to use efreet even if the ice is shielded. The 90% weakness will buy you more time and if ice is using an ice wand, it will even make his blades (or attack) useless.

3. Spam infection.

To kill an ice, you most likely need to have a good attack combo. But before you do the combo kill, make sure that the ice has infection or is very low in pips. Otherwise, he will just heal your attack. You should always carry max infections even when fighting other schools. If you can get the diadem of despair from Diego, get it.. two more infection is very useful..especially with spritely pets being so common now.

Remember a satyr (using crafted athame and ring) can heal around 1700hp.

4. Good attack timing.

Attack to lower his health. Just so he will be in range of a killer combo attack. But not too low that he will be forced to heal back to full health. If you attack with big spells too early, he will immediately heal it off.

You should know by now to win the bubble war. Do not start using the bubble until he does, when playing second. Unless of course you have 3 on hand atm, then you can use it. Once the bubble war is on, make sure that you always have another bubble on hand. So that when he change it back, you can change it again. Place some bubbles in side deck if you have to.

5. Defense.

When you are second, you always have to think ahead. You need to make sure that you are out of a combo attack range at all times. Watch their pips closely. You have to be able to switch from defensive to attack mode depending on their pips and health.

6. Ice minion.

Some ice carries upto 7 minions. Good thing most of them dont. Kill ice minion asap. But beware that they might be using their minion to waste your pips too. Pay attention to what they do when they first summon minion. Because when you kill it and they re-summon it, they will probably use the same strategy. Ex. if they shield the minion right after being summoned, expect that when he summons minions in the future, it will be shielded the next turn.

Use gargatuan AoE spell to kill minions. This is to make sure that you also place huge damage on ice.

Sometimes I would let minion live for a couple of turns because I know that it will be replaced right after I killed it. And also because I do not have a lot of pips. What you can do is shield yourself and save pips for a double AoE attack.

Know that if you are losing the pip war and he is ready to attack, if he summon his minion and he has a full set of pips, while you only have two pips. Dont kill minion at once. Shield instead. The minion might be a distraction for you to waste your pips so you cant heal when he attacks.

7. Make use of your training points in Celestia.

Thats why it was given to you, use it. Conviction (from Diego) is useful. If you think he will attack and you have fortify, then use it. If you like criticals then use vengeance. But do not rely on criticals as it is mostly luck.

8. Side deck

Your side deck is very important. Place minion killers and other attack spells. A few heals and shields. This is to increase our chance of finding spells if our main deck is not working our way.

If your school does not have stun, you might want to buy one freeze (ice stun), or myth stun from the bazaar. You never know when this can be very useful.

9. Know to delete

A lot of people say that they lost because their deck is not working right. Like my friend always tell me, delete until you can make your deck work with you. Until then, your side deck is your best friend.

------ I hope this helps a bit. Be patient when dealing with ice. Do not attack just for the sake of attacking. Just remember attack to lower health, infect, then finish with whatever combo you think can kill him.
      Last edited by beachgirl; 12-6-10 at 2:43 PM.

StorySmith is offline Promethean Wizard

• StorySmith's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  StorySmith (Balance) Dreamstalker (Death)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance

Mood:
      Hungry

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Re: How to beat a Legendary Ice

And what do you suggest for Death, a school that can not Gargantuan a 4-pip AoE or engage in a bubble war easily?

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tamsin
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Inspired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by StorySmith View Post
      And what do you suggest for Death, a school that can not Gargantuan a 4-pip AoE or engage in a bubble war easily?
      Unfortunately I do not have much experience with death as my death is not legendary yet. But I have experience with being hit by a well bladed Garg skeletal dragon and that is beast. So as always vampire to kill minion, use garg posion. Lucky for you, infection is death so spam it.

Like i said you dont one shot, you have to lower their health first before you do your deadly combo.

StorySmith is offline Promethean Wizard

• StorySmith's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  StorySmith (Balance) Dreamstalker (Death)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance

Mood:
      Hungry

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl View Post
      Unfortunately I do not have much experience with death as my death is not legendary yet. But I have experience with being hit by a well bladed Garg skeletal dragon and that is beast. So as always vampire to kill minion, use garg posion. Lucky for you, infection is death so spam it.

Like i said you dont one shot, you have to lower their health first before you do your deadly combo.
      In my experience, losing 1000 hp on the first turn of a doubled Snow Angel means you don't really have that much time for any kind of combo. You either heal or chance it, and chancing it means that you very much likely are dead the next round if your attack did not win you the match. If you get lucky and have a Critical, CL gear has the ability to block it.

Ice, though, has Critical boost and Damage boost in addition to more resist than arena gear. Ice's chances of getting Critical are greater, chances of blocking Critical are greater, and the Damage boost may be better than what you've got. Plus, the going first advantage + DOT.

As for Skeletal Dragon, a Gargantuan one is only around 200 a hit against arena gear, so it will be even less against an Ice in CL gear. It can maybe take down a Storm, coupled with a Poison (even there, you still need to take care of about 600 hp) but Ice at 3000+ hp is a different matter.

One-hitting is not going to be. It is somewhat improbable that a Death Wizard would ever one-hit a Thaumaturge in the high ranks.

Infection is also somewhat meaningless when there is that much heal boost.

annaskyheart is offline Apprentice Wizard

• annaskyheart's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Anna Skyheart/Anna Jadesong/Kristen Rubyflame/Kristen Soulwhisper/Kristen Summergem/Kristen Sky
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  rex
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  stormzilla
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Well, I was in the middle of writing some advice when my death got a match in 1v1. Was against a Legendary ice and I was first and still got owned....He triple bladed, put up 45 bubble and criticaled a snow angel. I didnt stand a chance :/

Edit...I even had up towers and treasure towers, and didnt have any convictions up to use at the time.
      Anna SkyHeart - lvl 60 Storm,Kristen SoulWhisper - lvl 60 Death,Kristen DreamCaster - lvl 60 Ice,Anna JadeSong - lvl 50 Balance,Kristen SummerGem - lvl 60 Life,Kristen Sky - lvl 60 Myth,Kristen RubyFlame - lvl 58 Fire

gilroy_lh is offline Adept Wizard

• gilroy_lh's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Emma
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Baby Amber
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Aqua dragon
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl View Post

4. Good attack timing.

Attack to lower his health. Just so he will be in range of a killer combo attack. But not too low that he will be forced to heal back to full health. If you attack with big spells too early, he will immediately heal it off.
      Very nice guide. Only thing I found that may not work is that a good ice always tries to stay above 3000 health. I almost always have full health when I go first.

Itz Rob3rt is offline Magus Wizard

• Itz Rob3rt's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Rob Legendblade Rob Bearcatcher Nathan Dark Dunk Dark Kev Darkleaf Rob Darkheart Alex darkheart
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Too many to list
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  ^
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Using your minion from second against a good ice is a great way to get yourself killed :P Half of my side deck is gargantuan blizzards. Field is everything in this duel. Anyway I highly suggest adding bubbles to side deck also. Trust me, that gargantuan frosty into colossus will hurt and if it doesnt kill, expect an infection and a garg blizzard to follow. On my ice I won't field until I build a lot of pips. Then I will field and go into a barrage of frostbite and gargantuan blizzard. So be patient and wait for the field, since you always want your opponent to field first. Kill the minion ASAP like she said because it will trap. It can even blade us! I'll sometimes use that trap in my frosty combo or just blizzard with it on for extra damage. From first establishing minion is crucial as it will be your main damaging force. Since you need to be healing from the hits if the ice you're facing doesnt kill the minion. @storysmith, death has never been a great 1v1 school. However you have one of the best spells in the game.....sacrifice! If the ice is doing some damage to you, you can easily heal it off with that. The bigger the heal boost the better. Plague stacks with weakness to stop the snow angel. Maybe even try to beguile the snow angel? I like poison from second and vampire from first for minions. Good luck, ice is a pain but we are able to die!
      Last edited by Itz Rob3rt; 12-6-10 at 5:02 PM.

AshleyS is offline Initiate Wizard

• AshleyS's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Ashley
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Storm
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Zeus
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Stormzilla
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by annaskyheart View Post
      Well, I was in the middle of writing some advice when my death got a match in 1v1. Was against a Legendary ice and I was first and still got owned....He triple bladed, put up 45 bubble and criticaled a snow angel. I didnt stand a chance :/

Edit...I even had up towers and treasure towers, and didnt have any convictions up to use at the time.

A critical attack is very hard to defend against. (unless you were able to block it with conviction). He just got lucky... Just like if you will critical a well bladed skeletal dragon..

•  Wizard's Name:
        •  Tamsin
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Type:

Mood:
      Inspired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by master59898 View Post
      Using your minion from second against a good ice is a great way to get yourself killed :P Half of my side deck is gargantuan blizzards. Field is everything in this duel. Anyway I highly suggest adding bubbles to side deck also. Trust me, that gargantuan frosty into colossus will hurt and if it doesnt kill, expect an infection and a garg blizzard to follow. On my ice I won't field until I build a lot of pips. Then I will field and go into a barrage of frostbite and gargantuan blizzard. So be patient and wait for the field, since you always want your opponent to field first. Kill the minion ASAP like she said because it will trap. It can even blade us! I'll sometimes use that trap in my frosty combo or just blizzard with it on for extra damage. From first establishing minion is crucial as it will be your main damaging force. Since you need to be healing from the hits if the ice you're facing doesnt kill the minion. @storysmith, death has never been a great 1v1 school. However you have one of the best spells in the game.....sacrifice! If the ice is doing some damage to you, you can easily heal it off with that. The bigger the heal boost the better. Plague stacks with weakness to stop the snow angel. I like poison from second and vampire from first. Good luck, ice is a pain but we are able to die!

Yes i agree with the garg blizzards... Thats why you try to shield yourself first The minion is just a distraction to waste the blades and pips..

And good strategies you have there

Cassandra Sprite is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Cassandra Sprite's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Cassandra Sprite
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Wizard City
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  belle
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  fairy queen
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Nice guide. Another important tip to beat ice is to play ice yourself. Fire works too with the 90% weakness.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast