----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Getting to high levels with no crowns or a sub!

I've been playing Wizard101 for two years; I've made a wizard in every single school and gotten it to at least level 12 with no crowns or a sub before deleting it. In fact, my main right now is level 28, and I've never bought any areas in Wizard101. (Note: It did NOT take me two years to reach level 28, and it won't take you that long either if you’re dedicated and want to level). People always think I have a sub/crowns in game and level 10 wizards usually ask me to take them to run Nightshade, I say that I can't and some of the obviously younger ones will say I'm lying, call me mean etc, while some of the obviously older ones will say 'wow dude, nice. how long did it take you to hit twin ty fifth?' Well, I finally decided to make a guide on how I did it. This guide is divided into two sections; the first one is some basics, and the second section is the actual leveling guide with tips along the way about deck construction, gear, etc.

Basics

Okay, first things first, do not waste gold buying gear until your at least level 10, in fact, if you can wait 6-7 days, hold of on buying gear until your level 15 or higher: trust me, its a waste of gold and you won't keep the gear long. (Note: Do however buy the Novice deck for your school at level 10). Second, don't waste time begging people to run Foulgaze or Nightshade with you. This may seem stupid, but its really a waste of time, gets others angry, you won't even get that much experience, and if your going for the drops, fight Kraken.

Second, traps/shields/prisms go off in the opposite order you cast them. So for example, if you cast a Storm prism on a Field Guard, cast a Storm trap, and then it uses a Myth shield, the shield won’t activate because it is bypassed since it went last. Essentially, if the Myth shield goes up before the Storm prism, it will activate, if it goes up after the Storm prism, it won’t. This is just something useful to know in general but especially useful for a Storm wizard who will level by fighting Field Guards.

Leveling

Okay, now that those basics are down, here's how you should proceed after you finish all the quests. You will be at level 9, I forget exactly how much experience you have left, but it won't be much. It may look like much, but it won't be. Grinding your way to level 10 is pretty simple: fight Field Guards in the Haunted Cave. This is pretty much how it will be for all levels, but they way you fight will be different. At level 9, you won't really have time to relax and take damage while putting on traps and blades, shielding, etc; especially if your storm. (Tip for Balance/any wizard who has trained weakness: First round, cast weakness on the guard that will attack you.) Field Guards are pretty easy to kill, even at level 9, and if you’re having trouble, either fight with other wizards or you could always run bosses in Unicorn Way and/or Kraken but it will take longer and you won't get as much experience. Once you hit level 10, learn your new spell, and do the quests offered by Boris Tallstaff in the Library. (Approximate time to do this: 1-2 days)

Okay, so your level 10, you finally have some decent attack (against Field Guards) and you now need (I think) almost two thousand experience to level. Quiet honestly, from here until level 15 you should be able to level daily. I suggest taking about 5-6 rounds to kill one Field Guard because you should get approximately 24-27 (maybe 30)xp per kill, which is pretty decent experience if you work fast. You should probably be able to kill one Field Guard every two minutes whilst taking 5-6 rounds to kill it. (Note: This does not take into account others joining your battle and fizzles, however, if you tend to fizzle a lot like Storm, it might be wise to invest in buying some Sniper treasure cards: Ever since Celestia came out these have been in abundance in the Bazaar, going for approximately 68gp. If you can’t afford that I suggest buying a few Keen Eyes (from the Bazaar), these tend to go for around 20-23gp.

So you’ve been leveling hard (also known as grinding/training) for about a week now and you should be level 15. At this point buy some good gear. I suggest that you buy the level 10 staff of your school unless you’re going to PvP or are a Storm wizard, but I’ll talk about that later. This is useful because if you get an attack bonus for your school your staff will deal a bit more damage, which can be useful when finishing off a Field Guard. Staffs are also good because, from what I’ve heard, they reduce fizzling, and although I’ve never tested this but there really isn’t any harm in buying a staff.

From hear on out leveling gets a bit more difficult. It should take you approximately two days to hit level 16 depending on how hard you work, and from then onward three to four days to reach level 18. At this point it can be hard to motivate yourself to level. I suggest you buy your level 20 gear at level 18 so that you have something to work towards. It will remind you that you will be getting nicer gear, more health, more mana and better stats. At this point I suggest taking about 6-8 rounds to kill a Field Guard, which should leave you with approximately 33-36xp after each fight, as long as you remember to use a spell every round. Using a spell every round is probably the most important part of getting experience, so I suggest keeping a lot of shields, traps, blades, prisms, heals, weakness’s etc. This will enable you to cast a spell every round even if you don’t have any pips. My friends’ only attack in his whole deck at level 20 is the spell Vampire, which he gets from Shemet’s Bloody Choker. Getting the buffed spell of your school is the only attack you will need as long as you blade and trap before attacking and making sure you don’t discard wand spells. However, Storm is a bit different. For attack for a Storm wizard, I say carry a Myth wand, put in three Storm Sharks and carry the amulet that gives a buffed up Cyclops (I forget the name of it but it may be called Amulet of Eyes). The Myth wand will enable you to take down Myth shields. The Storm Shark can kill the Field Guard in one hit if you prism and get past the Myth shield, but if you don’t prism it will take a couple hits to kill. Also, the Amulet of Eyes is useful because if you’re going first and its say the sixth round and you want to kill; as long as the Field Guard doesn’t have a Myth shield up you should be able to kill him in one shot.

Okay. Getting from level 18-22 is a pretty big accomplishment. It gives you a new spell, and your wizard is now an Adept; without having opened up any areas in all of Wizard101! This can take up to a week to do (some clarification, getting from 18-22 will take about a week, not 1-22) so here are some tips. When grinding, always make sure you have a full potion, fight until you’re out of mana, use your potion and then fight till you out of mana again. This can take a very long time, but the rewards are significant. Say for example it takes two hours, and you kill a Field Guard every three minutes or so. You should get approximately 1,680xp. That’s pretty decent right there. Its nothing compared to questing, but its still pretty decent experience. Another thing is to not stop fighting until your backpack is full. (Note: If your backpack is full before you run out of mana; go sell and then come back. Not only does it give you a bit of a break, but it opens up your backpack again for more drops). A few more things about leveling, the higher you get, the more rounds you should take to kill a Field Guard, however, try not to exceed 5mins per kill. Second, listen to music when you fight. Not the Wizard101 music, but your music. Unless of course the Haunted Cave music is your favorite thing in the whole world. You’d be surprised at how much experience you get if your just listening to music and fighting. Essentially, just try not to concentrate so hard on leveling, don’t think about it so much. Just relax and you’ll be leveling up in no time. Lastly; do take advantage of helping others with boss fights etc if they ask for it and you’re bored and tired of leveling. Sometimes if you level with others it gets less boring and by helping someone you’re making a new friend, and who knows, maybe that friend will pay you back someday, somehow.

Well, that’s all I have to say about leveling. At level 22 you should continue to level the same way you did from 18-22. As I level and get to Magus, or if I learn anything else, I will update this guide with more tips, information, etc. However, here are a few tips on gear at level 25.

At level 25 the only attack you will should come from your level 25 amulet. Just get the buffed up spell of your school; even for Storm. Also, at level 22 for Storm get rid of Storm prism, you won’t need it because your Kraken is so powerful. Hope this guide helps!

*UPDATE*
      Quote Originally Posted by <strong>hiddenmage View Post
      Pretty good guide from what I read. I've just got one correction for you.

You're a little off on experience. You get 3 experience for each pip that you use to cast a spell (0 pip spells count the same as 1 pip spells for experience). You don't get any experience for spells cast against you or by the enemy opposite you.

So if you cast a 0 pip spell you get 3 exp
      a 1 pip spell gets you 3 exp
      a 2 pip spell gets you 6 exp
      a 3 pip spell gets you 9 exp

and so on.

At the end of the fight you'll get experience equal to the number of pips used to cast your spells in the battle.

One other note. You get the experience for casting the spell even if it fizzles. (That's the only good thing about fizzles!)

Other than that, though, I think you've got a great guide. If I've confused you let me know and I'll see if I can explain it differently.

This is how the experience system works; I was wrong, so now I'm going to re-explain a bit about fighting Field Guards. Once your level 10 I'd say shield the first round/use weakness if you have it, then use a wand spell, then shield, then trap, then blade, (if you can) and if you can't shield again. Then heal, then shield, then use your rank three spell and kill it. That will give you 33xp per fight and it should only take you about 2-3mins. If you fizzle, just use your rank three spell again.

Once you reach level 16, if your Death, this is how I'd go about attacking. First round, shield/weakness if you have it, then use a wand spell, then shield, then trap, then blade, then shield, then heal, then shield, then use Vampire and kill it. This will give you 39xp per kill.

At 22, for all schools I'd attack like this. Shield/weakness. Then wand, then shield, then trap, then blade (or shield), then heal, then shield, then wand spell, then heal, then shield, then trap, then use your rank four spell, or in the case of Death, Pirate (rank 5). This will give you 48xp per kill if your any school but death, in the case of Death you'll get 50xp per kill.

*Note on Storm, traps and prisms are interchangeable and always take down the Myth shield right before you cast Kraken/Storm Shark. You can disregard the last part of the set listed above or just use it after you complete the set.

*MORE UPDATES*

Okay, If you have any rank four spells that won't kill Skullsplitter in one hit, here's a suggestion on how to go about leveling if you despise Field Guards or are sick of them. First off, here's a link to the picture to prove I got 156xp off of him: http://www.wizard101central.com/foru...0534&highlight=
      He uses Ghoul, so the strategy is pretty simple. Use your rank four spell, but don't kill him. Shield and heal and trap him (as long as your next attack with traps won't kill him) and then when he's back to full hit him with your rank four spell again. Repeat this as long as you can or as long as you want to, and try and get through your whole deck. You should get easily 140-160 experience per fight. I also suggest you kill the Scarlet Screamer with a rank four spell, but do that quickly, so that you minimize the amount of damage you take, unless, like Ice, you have very high health.

Here's another thing I suggest. No matter what school you are, learn Pacify (level 15 Death spell) from Mortis. It shouldn't take more than a couple, minutes to find someone who can take you into Nightside real quick. Just ask around and it'll happen. (Two Pacify spells are also given on a level 25 amulet sold at the Bazaar that I forget the name of). Once you have Pacify I suggest putting 2-3 into your deck. Use Pacify when you have max pips and if your Death (max pips meaning all power pips for Death) you can get 42xp from using just one Pacify! If your not a Death wizard you'll get 21xp from using Pacify, and that's only the first time you use it in a fight. Also, (I know this is mean...) if you tell someone who can talk to not join your fight/attack your target and they do, use Pacify at max pips (or as soon as you can) on the Field Guard/whatever enemy is attacking you. It will switch its attack over to the other wizard, and if he/she is low level he/she will die. This is of course assuming that they're low level.

Some screenshots

My maximum free to play level achieved is 28. But I deleted that Ice wizard because I wanted Life to be my secondary.

Picture proof:

This is the last screenshot I ever took of Brian before I finally deleted him. My new Ice wizard is now 18, almost 19.

This is the average amount of experience I get at level 16-22.

Using my Skullsplitter tactics, I can easily get this much experience at 19 from ONE fight.

Something new: MASSIVE EXPERIENCE BATTLES
      At around level 20+ I suggest free to play wizards start doing these. Each one of them gets me about 240 experience per battle, and you level relatively fast this way. However, each fight takes approximately 15-20mins, and it can be hard to accomplish in the Haunted Cave with people constantly joining your fights. I suggest fighting either Skullsplitter or the Harvest Lord. Skullsplitter if your any school but Ice because of the reason described earlier in this post. I suggest fighting the Harvest Lord if your Ice because he will put up Ice shields enabling you to use rank 3-4 spells repeatedly against him without killing him. My old Ice wizard could break 300 experience this way, so I highly suggest this if your Ice. Good luck leveling!

OTHER FREE TO PLAY LEVELING GUIDES (SCHOOL SPECIFIC)
      http://www.wizard101central.com/foru...50#post1552050 (Ice guide by me)
      http://www.wizard101central.com/foru...441&highlight= (Storm guide by mr i myth)
      Peace,
      Last edited by Brian Icefist; 1-15-11 at 4:34:41 PM. Reason: Font
      Signature and avatar by Penguin77. His shop is here.
      Formerly known as Zingbot.

matty2107 is offline Apprentice Wizard

• matty2107's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Chelsea
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  DragonSpyre
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Ice
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  ??? To lazy to check
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Colossus
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Re: Getting to high levels with no crowns or a sub!

k not the best guide
      thx for sharing though

Blaze Fire Thief is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Blaze Fire Thief's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Blaze Fire Thief
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Zafaria
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Fire
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Micky
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  fire
      ----

Mood:
      ----

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

cool guide bro so what level can i get with half of krakatopia enable? also wizard city

skrimdog is offline Journeyman Wizard
      ----

Mood:
      Netflix

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Dang! Looks like you put some work into this. Level 25!? Thats amazing! Just to let you know, for a better game experience you should just subscribe, but thats just me.

Awesome Avi and Sig from Courtney!!!

1234 is offline Grandmaster Wizard

• 1234's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  TaraWillowBreeze(L)KeiraSilverStone(I)FionaDragonFlame(F)SabrinaShadowCaster(D)Samantha(B)Sierra(S)
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Polaris
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Life
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Lillie
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Dryad

Mood:
      Angelic

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Nice guide! As someone who spent many months as a free player, I can appreciate the dedication involved in leveling up this way.

Nowadays there's a lot more to do in Wizard City than there was originally, between housing, pets, and camping out at the bazaar. Also, nobody appreciates the Halloween tower drops more than a free wizard!

Matt1 is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Matt1's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Matthew SkullWeaver
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Khrysalis
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Death
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Xena
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Tricky Dragon
      ----

Mood:
      Cloud 9

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Good Guide

hiddenmage is offline Magus Wizard

• hiddenmage's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Benjamin BlueEyes
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Jasmine
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Zingbot View Post

Second, here's my basic understanding of the experience system. You get 3xp for every spell you cast, and 3xp for every spell the enemy opposite you casts, or in the case of bosses every spell an enemy casts. This is important to know because it will effect how you fight. If you want more experience per fight cast a spell every round. This is the basic way to get experience. It doesn't matter what level boss you fight etc, thatís how the experience system works to my basic understanding of it.

*UPDATE*
      The experience system works more along these lines I believe. You get 3xp for every spell you cast, 3xp for every spell that attacks you, and 3xp for every spell the enemy opposite casts you.
      Pretty good guide from what I read. I've just got one correction for you.

You're a little off on experience. You get 3 experience for each pip that you use to cast a spell (0 pip spells count the same as 1 pip spells for experience). You don't get any experience for spells cast against you or by the enemy opposite you.

So if you cast a 0 pip spell you get 3 exp
      a 1 pip spell gets you 3 exp
      a 2 pip spell gets you 6 exp
      a 3 pip spell gets you 9 exp

and so on.

At the end of the fight you'll get experience equal to the number of pips used to cast your spells in the battle.

One other note. You get the experience for casting the spell even if it fizzles. (That's the only good thing about fizzles!)

Other than that, though, I think you've got a great guide. If I've confused you let me know and I'll see if I can explain it differently.

PunkyMax is offline Magus Wizard

• PunkyMax's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Max DayDreamer
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Celestia
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Myth
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Ginger
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Li'l gold dragon of awesomeness ^^ Dragonblade, Sharp, Proof, Feint, Sprite

Mood:
      Inspired

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

EDIT: What do you know? The last poster and I replied at the same time. XD

Quote Originally Posted by <strong>Zingbot View Post
      *UPDATE*
      The experience system works more along these lines I believe. You get 3xp for every spell you cast, 3xp for every spell that attacks you, and 3xp for every spell the enemy opposite casts you.
      Correction:
      For each spell you cast, you get 3 exp multiplied by the rank of the spell. When you cast a zero rank spell, you still get 3 exp from it. Attacks that hit you and spells the enemy casts do not affect the experience you earn from a battle. Neither the level of your opponent nor their difficulty affect your exp.

When I was playing free, I loaded the biggest deck I could find with shields, blades, traps, and pixies. Then I hit Lady Blackhope and her minion. That tower ensures you won't be interrupted and you don't have to wait for the sigils to count down. You can also last longer against her the higher level you get. Kill the minion first with your wand, then heal and shield until you run out, then kill the boss. Until you can get a strong enough wand, you may need one good attack in your deck to finish off the boss. At level 15 it's possible to get just under 100 exp per battle.

hiddenmage is offline Magus Wizard

• hiddenmage's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  Benjamin BlueEyes
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Azteca
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Balance
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  Sir Jasmine
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  Sea Dragon

Mood:
      Awesome

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold

That's funny, but I guess great minds think alike!

I experimented a lot with experience and how to get it before I bought some crowns. I did pretty much the same thing. Got the biggest deck that I could, loaded it up with all kinds of shields and 0 cost spells and fought everything for as long as I could.

You can get good experience doing this, but it takes a LOOOONG time. If you want to extend it out more you could use a Reshuffle card, but it would probably have to be a treasure card since you're stuck in Wizard City, and they can get expensive

Frissbe is offline Journeyman Wizard

• Frissbe's Wizard Stats
        •  Wizard's Name:
        •  James Skyhunter
        •  Wizard's Level:
        •  World:
        •  Avalon
        •  Wizard's School:
        •  Star
        •  Pet's Name:
        •  TEDDY
        •  Pet's Type:
        •  STARFISHY

Mood:
      Annoyed

PvP Tournaments Won
      Thanks (Given)
      Thanks (Received)
      Gold
      Blog Entries

Nice Guide! But it really doesn't take a day to level up even at level; 9. Field Gaurds aren't the best targets. Some parts were a little hard to understand.
      I give it a-2 so +3(i can't find a five) but still good guide.
      Peter: You've found my weakness. Small knives

The brain doesn't recognize the the second 'the'.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast