Notes Written By An Onion

Top 10 Most Overpriced Items in Wizard101 (Part 1)

Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
Ohai, it's been a while, hasn't it?

I've taken a nice long break from the art of blogging, and I'm making my return with my latest top 10 list.

Kingsisle is a company like any other: they formed their company as a means of monetary gain. There is nothing wrong with this at all, it is just one of many ways to make a living in life.

However, Kingsisle has gone over the top a bit at times. In this list I'll be going over a few of KI's more "memorable" microtransactional blunders.
"Top 10 Most Overpriced Items in Wizard101"

[B]#10: The Black Color Dye[/B]
When my legendary Balance (hehe) was still a noob in Dragonspyre, I purchased the Reinforced Helmet and Surcoat of the Charge with $20 worth of crowns (more on that later). I was still lacking the Boots of the Titan, so I saved up as much as I could, not stopping to buy anything along the way. 70,000 gold later, I waltzed in to the DS boots shop to order a nifty pair of Titanish Boots, in my soon-to-be trademarked black and orange colors. I looked at the cost. Bam. 79,000 gold. I checked what the price would be to get a drab, brown on brown pair of boots. 15,000 gold. What's up with that Kingsisle?

[B]#9: Elixirs
[/B]So, let me get this straight. If I drop a buck, I can boost the amount of gold I get in battle for an hour by... 15%? Kingsisle really lolfailed with this one. You get what, 50 gold a battle? So I'm gonna get around 7 extra gold? Yipee. Thanks KI for attempting to steal my money... again...

[B]#8: 2nd-Generation Crown Gear[/B]
I held my tongue about this one until KI made it impossible to purchase crown gear with gold. If you wanted that sweet Helephant robe from Dragonspyre, you had to be willing to drop around $11 for it. Considering that fact that it quickly becomes obsolete by grand gear (in my eyes, at least) makes this an even more disgusting price. And then when you get arena gear? Woo boy, that's like comparing Lost Souls to Malistaire.

There is one exception to this whole deal, and that's the HeartSteel athame. For a mere 240 crowns (a little less than 50 cents), you can get one of the game's best daggers, which also only has a level 5+ level requirement.

[B]#7: Crafting
[/B]I'll probably take some heat for putting this on here, but it's true. Completing the crafting quests will seriously hit your pocket worse than a Triton could. It doesn't get so bad until the end, when, unless you feel like digging through the proverbial dumpster, you have to go buy 15 diamonds at the bazaar, you'll be feeling more money pains than the guy who went on a date with only 5 dollars in his pocket (not enough enough to buy a popcorn and small drink!).

[B]#6: Celestian Sword
[/B]I had a lot to say about the latest in Celestian weaponry. From the looks of it, you'd think the Celestian Sword was pretty sweet. It glows, right? Yes, but unfortunately that's about the only good thing about it. It also comes packed with ONE 95 damage wand attack, and gives a power pip. By the way guys, you get a much better weapon, the Dragon Rider's Staff (basically the same item with more damage and in greater quantity), for FREE.

Show a kid two ice cream cones. One with three scoops and one with half a scoop. However, if he chooses the half scoop, he has to pay $10 for it, but the three scoop is free.

It's kinda obvious which one he will pick, right?

[I]This concludes part one of two of the Top 10 Most Overpriced Items in Wizard101. Tune in tomorrow to find out what made the rest of the list![/I]

Submit "Top 10 Most Overpriced Items in Wizard101 (Part 1)" to Digg Submit "Top 10 Most Overpriced Items in Wizard101 (Part 1)" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 10 Most Overpriced Items in Wizard101 (Part 1)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 10 Most Overpriced Items in Wizard101 (Part 1)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

One advantage to celestian Sword is that it does not clutter up your deck with wands and you still get the power pip. Allows you to run nice and lean deck. Agreed, not paying for it...
    OMG you got a blog?!

YES.
    The celestian sword is fixed, it gives 5 cards now.

I actually was really excited for a sword with a power pip and 1 attack. It would be an AMAZING farming sword. You start out with your Power Pips but you don't have to constantly discard all of the wands that are in your way?

I'd love that.
    @Jonah I've had a blog for quite some time, but it's been a while since I've posted anything.

@Nick and Wini allow me to defend my statement. This list discusses the most overpriced items, not worthless ones. Sure a farming sword is but is it worth 10 bucks? Also, with the current spam of Weakensby mobs, I'd definitely prefer 5 wand over 1, and my farming decks are usually tiny so, even with a hand of 4 wands, I'm still OK.

I think you were both just pointing out practical uses for an otherwise worthless item, but I just had to vent for a second.

And btw, now the C-sword is even more worthless, as it is completely and utterly obsoleted by the Rider Staff.
    good as always

I thought something heavy had fallen on you and you were trapped under it - its been awhile since your last list

on the dying thing there is usually a way around it if you would rather spend 100 crowns vs 80,000 gold. For all my grand gear I find a cheap version of the look I want in the bazar usually 500 to 1000 gold dye it for much less for the lower level but same look usually about 1000 gold then stitch it for 100 crowns - i havent mathed it out but to me this seems way better.

Dying crown gear after you have dyed it once makes the price 80,000 also so when I want to switch to next wizard and change it they try to wack you again - hate that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Potens Tempestas
    For all my grand gear I find a cheap version of the look I want in the bazar usually 500 to 1000 gold dye it for much less for the lower level but same look usually about 1000 gold then stitch it for 100 crowns - i havent mathed it out but to me this seems way better.
    Agreed Dye first, stitch second.

@ onion: Agreed not worth $10. Rather spend crowns on... oh yeah, I would rather not spend crowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potens Tempestas
    good as always

I thought something heavy had fallen on you and you were trapped under it - its been awhile since your last list

on the dying thing there is usually a way around it if you would rather spend 100 crowns vs 80,000 gold. For all my grand gear I find a cheap version of the look I want in the bazar usually 500 to 1000 gold dye it for much less for the lower level but same look usually about 1000 gold then stitch it for 100 crowns - i havent mathed it out but to me this seems way better.

Dying crown gear after you have dyed it once makes the price 80,000 also so when I want to switch to next wizard and change it they try to wack you again - hate that!
    My Balance was a DS noob around 2 years ago, before the days of stitching. Great tip though, clever way to get around KI's monopoly on the black color dye.

All my characters have their gear stitched into school styled clothing, which is always a bit pricey, and there are no cheap substitutes for them really.

@wini The only reason I buy crowns is for the occasional mega snack pack (soon to be placed on this list) and gear stitching. Also bought a Phosphorescent Maul, since it's such an amazing (and reasonably priced) wand.