Blog Comments

Certainly, feel free to use it. Just please credit me as the author. :0)
    Would you mind if I us this as an editorial for the central press?
    You are so right... My sister likes to join up with these groups, and willingly and happily travels around with them. That's what she does for fun.

Which is very different from having someone jump into your battle, unannounced and uninvited.

@Nesogra -

You are correct about the old school Balance training. Although, I believe it started far earlier than Dragonspyre.
    Updated 10-3-11 at 1:56:03 AM by msbrown
    Quote Originally Posted by msbrown
    Sure they can! And, many of them do! It's one of life's (or Life's) simple pleasures to sit and watch them flop, flail and flounder about with Traps and Blades and Shields and Wards and Charms for 8 or 9 rounds before detonating them all at once with a mighty Fire Elf or Snow Beetle. It's enough to take your breath away, and leave you with a sinking sensation in the pit of your stomach. So much enthusiasm, energy and potential, all funneled into this one magical moment...
    Not if you play like I do . If someone keeps jumping into my battles over and over again without asking at least once (most usually get the message when I move down the street a little) I hit esc->quit then log back in so they have agro . If they don't know how to play well they have a nice little trip back to the base camp.
    Happy Birthday, to you and your daughter! And, blessings upon all!
    Happy birthday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Allerielle
    Ah, you are so correct, Ms Brown. I've seen many a Wizard cast things that have truly made me pause and think, "What was that doing in his/her deck?" And if it was a card on an item, get rid of it! Last night while doing Labyrinth on Esmee I had a Death Wizard companion (not Mr. Zilla-man) who was quite excited to cast Centaur. Yes, he had more than 6 pips, most power but he wanted to cast Centaur because he liked the spell. >.< It truly puzzles me how some of these Wizards made it to Dragonspyre. I suppose it's proof that Merle watches over fools and babes.
    Well, I've nothing against a Centaur, I'm rather fond of Centaurs. I've cast literally thousands of Centaurs, and I continue to cast them without hesitation, and at less than a moment's notice. (Well, to be honest, since my Life wizard got Gargantuan, she has been casting an awful lot of Seraphs. So fast, so compact, so zingy... But, I still remain rather fond of the Centaur animation, and the damage output is an old and trusted friend.)

But, I do cast Centaurs with my Life wizard - not with my Balance wizards, not with my Death wizards, not with my Myth wizards, not with my Ice wizard, and certainly not with a Storm or Fire wizard. I can honestly say that none of my wizards except my Life wizards have ever cast a Centaur spell (at least, not that I am aware of).

Some of Life's (and other school's) simpler pleasures involve people watching. I always enjoy meeting and playing with my sister. We're pretty indepedent, and play separately, but get together when we notice each other on line. My sister likes playing with groups, especially random groups, and truly enjoys helping other people. She usually spends most of her game time helping other people pursue their quests, rather than her own.

She also seems to attract a younger set of players, usually with a correspondingly low emotional maturity and undeveloped capacity for linear planning. She says she has accompanied groups to fight all the Jotun brothers, and heard everybody at once shout, "I got the Boss!" as they go into battle. She says being on the battle sigil with such a group is a veritable 'perfect storm' of wonderfully unrelated and surprisingly eccentric wards, charms, traps, shields, manipulations, mutations, polymorphs, and whatever else is in each wizard's kitchen sink. She says you can find anything in the sigil except: 1. a plan; 2. a properly buffed attack; 3. appropriately chosen and timed Healing.

She says that is simply amazing to watch - well worth the price of admission. And, then after about 8 or 9 rounds, the players start to realize that they are not the inflictors, but the recipients, of wanton violence and untrammeled punishment. And, that their plans (sic) have gone unexpectedly and horribly wrong... And, at that point she starts to unload HER kitchen sink of support - Heals, Shields, Power Pips, minions, boosts, buffs, attacks, whatever her particular wizard is capable of carrying. Her great joy is to see if she can prevent the group from inevitably snatching Defeat from the very jaws of Victory. She often does, and says it is always a stimulating challenge - there is no way of predicting what she will have spread out around her to work with, so there is not really any point in trying to plan for it. She just dumps everything into her main and Treasure decks, and when the time comes, she just starts hurling stuff overboard.

So, when we meet, she is always a little reticent for the first couple of battles. She is desperately unloading all the Krakens, Unicorns, Time of Legend bubbles, Snow Beetles, Elemental Shields, Precisions, Plagues, Links, Trolls, Blizzards, Pheonixes, and a hundred other things that she has squirreled away in her deck. Often she can't quite accomplish it quickly or gracefully enough, and her Life wizard will pop out a Kraken, or her Balance wizard will cast a Cyclops minion, or her Storm wizard will slip a Helephant onto the table. (Actually, I sometimes think she does it on purpose, because she knows it makes me crazy.) Anyway, usually after a couple of battles, she is squared away with a properly efficient 6-to-10 card deck, and I stop making pointed comments.

Actually, to return to your point, it's not so much that Merle looks after them, but I believe that sometimes the enemies just stop in awe, and occasionally even expire from laughter and disbelief...
    Updated 9-27-11 at 7:10:31 PM by msbrown
    Ah, you are so correct, Ms Brown. I've seen many a Wizard cast things that have truly made me pause and think, "What was that doing in his/her deck?" And if it was a card on an item, get rid of it! Last night while doing Labyrinth on Esmee I had a Death Wizard companion (not Mr. Zilla-man) who was quite excited to cast Centaur. Yes, he had more than 6 pips, most power but he wanted to cast Centaur because he liked the spell. >.< It truly puzzles me how some of these Wizards made it to Dragonspyre. I suppose it's proof that Merle watches over fools and babes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesogra
    The reason people are shocked by how much damage you put out is simple. You aren't really a life wizard. You're a balance wizard trained in the ways of old dragonspyre playing a life wizard. Huge difference in mindset. ...

Thanks to cl life wizards ... they can no longer sit back and play sloppy .
    Sure they can! And, many of them do! It's one of life's (or Life's) simple pleasures to sit and watch them flop, flail and flounder about with Traps and Blades and Shields and Wards and Charms for 8 or 9 rounds before detonating them all at once with a mighty Fire Elf or Snow Beetle. It's enough to take your breath away, and leave you with a sinking sensation in the pit of your stomach. So much enthusiasm, energy and potential, all funneled into this one magical moment...
    The reason people are shocked by how much damage you put out is simple. You aren't really a life wizard. You're a balance wizard trained in the ways of old dragonspyre playing a life wizard. Huge difference in mindset. Balance wizards either learned efficiency in old dragonspyre or learned from someone else who did. The reason why is we had no choice. In those long ds towers shielding only went so far as most mobs used multiple schools and many small attacks. Efficiency was the only way for balance to survive. In this environment Judgement went from a crutch to a curse. If Lady J didn't show up in hand when needed or fizzled we not only wasted a turn but a power pip needed for the next attack or a helping hands to heal back up... It is pretty easy to see that from this environment you would get players that would take small decks to the extreme. Life has always had their massive healing ability as a crutch. Many life wizards, even though their school is one of the most efficient in the game, don't think of themselves as fighters... They like to be clerics so seeing one out there really dishing out the damage is a new thing for most wizards. Thanks to cl life wizards (as well as many other schools) are starting to catch up with balance when it come to efficiency. Hehehe they can no longer sit back and play sloppy .
    Updated 9-27-11 at 1:24:16 AM by Nesogra
    Oops I misread, yeah calculations are important
    This is why I don't aim for a school for damage (If you read my guides and post I am not the most damage person) . Much better if you train a certain school for what you do, like ice to tower or balance to weakness, etc. Damage, well is secondary to me. And yes, firezilla does do a lot of damage but without it giving at least fire-giver, that person is better of not using it at all. All schools can solo I have even soloed my whole entire death run through, but you are right, any school can solo using correct techniques
    lol... you go girl. At the end of the battle, you only need to be one point bigger than the other guy...
    The only time Esmee uses a Life wand is in fights with only Death foes.
    Death enemies never use Life Shield in case that's the reason why you have a Life wand. They do cast Weakness a lot, though, which is a reason to use a Death wand.
    i want to know somethin. how do i change my location? or is that another thing you have to buy? also, i hope you can get the spell if you havent yet!
    Updated 9-22-11 at 6:17:37 PM by PokeMan62
    For one time through, just fill your pockets full of shells, and pop them off one at time, like potting squirrels or ground hogs. Start with the small ones at the rear, and work your way forward. They are all sitting there watching you, and never look behind them. They literally never realize what is hitting them.
    Updated 9-22-11 at 12:58:50 PM by msbrown
    Well, I wasnt suggesting this for solo farming. It is more efficient at my level to cast a buffed Seraph and if everything goes smoothly most street mob fights are over by the 4th round. This is with a 61% pip chance at level 40. I dont know what her +dps is but it's still in the low end. It cant be more than 20% and is probably lower than that.

I was just offering a hypothetical solution to the tedious Sunken City trek that must be done by any Life Wizard seeking their Dryad.
    Soloing Sunken City is a very different experience than doing it as part of a group - especially at Levels ~ 12 to 18 which is age appropriate for that instance. (At Level 42, it should have seemed a bit easier...).

Life, Death and Storm are pretty much condemned to taking single pot-shots, and taking the mobs down one by one. Waiting for the pips to accumulate to cast an off-school AoE gets very irritating - on the order of finger nails scratching across a blackboard - over and over and over again. Watching all those beautiful yellow pips get swallowed up by a little 4 pip spell is also painful. (Over and over and over again...)

The one thing I can suggest (but not recommend) is purchasing a Mastery of (School) amulet. This is the one that will let you use Power Pips to cast an off-school spell. They work beautifully. And, they cost $20 each.

A long long time ago, when I first started creating my Death wizard, I thought it would be useful to have an AoE, (And Death wizards have lots and lots of extra Training Points), so I Trained Fire to get the Meteor spell. The spell was great, but I didn't like waiting for the Pips to accumulate, or watching the Power Pips get wasted. So, I never used it after I started getting Power Pips in Marleybone.... Until, the Mastery Amulets came out...

I tried one, and I have to admit it is NICE. I really really like - and use - that Meteor spell. But I feel guilty every time I do it. It seems like a horrible waste of money, for what is essentially a forbidden pleasure - Death wizards aren't meant to cast Meteor spells guilt-free. And, secondly, it really is an artificial perversion - it doesn't occur naturally, is against the rule of magic, and is available an only an exorbitant cost which keeps it out of the reach of most ordinary wizards. It's really not right. (But, I do it anyway. **sigh**)
    sry i didnt read but how do i blog
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast